Philosophical heckling

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Re: Philosophical heckling

Post by Renee »

Surreptitious57 wrote:Not that I do but were I giving a speech and a fundamentalist was heckling me the right thing to do would be to give them the platform instead. I do not think that every one that disagrees with me is automatically ignorant or hypocritical or bigoted. Free
speech is for everyone not just those whose voice I like the sound of. So I listen to all opinion across the spectrum. Even if you
are ignorant or hypocritical or bigoted you still have a right to be heard the same as anyone else. No one should be denied this
So you agree that in the middle of a religious sermon a secular person should be able to stand up, go to the pulpit, take the stand, and give a speech while the priest, or minister, is standing aside, patiently waiting for the atheist to finish his point in the middle of the liturgy or mass or worship.

In my experience this somehow does not happen. Maybe you, Surreptitious57, can help it to make happen.
Ignorance is power.
Surreptitious57

Post by Surreptitious57 »

I am only saying what would be the right thing to do if it happened to me. And your example is not equivalent because although churches are public places they are specifically for theists. So any atheist going there to heckle would be completely out of order
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Renee:
I had been to secular Humanist meetings which had been constantly interrupted by fundamentalist religionists heckling the speakers.
There are several groups around that believe in a confrontational form of religious practice. One that has gained a foothold in some universities in the U.S. is the Christian apologetics led by William Lane Craig. Like the sophists of ancient Greece he teaches how to win arguments. They show up here once in awhile and are easy to spot because they all use the same arguments and tactics. Here is a group led by a guy who calls himself “General” James Green. He calls for militant action against satan, but I do not know what form this action takes. The Salvation Army they ain’t:

Of course there is always the KKK but see too the wiki article entitled Christian terrorism for other groups and activities.

How come it does not happen in reverse?

For the same reason Christianity is (was?) no longer like Islam. Under the guidance of the Enlightenment philosophers Christianity was tamed through secular reason and the value of tolerance.

It is not just Fox News and the war on Christmas. Many Christians, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, have been persuaded to perceive themselves as the victims of persecution.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Surreptitious57 wrote:And your example is not equivalent because although churches are public places they are specifically for theists. So any atheist going there to heckle would be completely out of order
Isn't a humanist meeting for humanists? This is a good example of how we innocently and automatically confer greater status and value to theists than secularists, as though we believe them and their opinions to be more valuable and important.
Surreptitious57

Post by Surreptitious57 »

I value opinions that are based upon reason or logic rather than on who is imparting them. I do not accord greater status to theists but I do try to treat everyone equally. My own biases notwithstanding. It is not perfect of course but I find that over time I become more open to alternative viewpoints. Not necessarily agreeing with them. But just acknowledging that they exist alongside my own
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta wrote:
Surreptitious57 wrote:And your example is not equivalent because although churches are public places they are specifically for theists. So any atheist going there to heckle would be completely out of order
Isn't a humanist meeting for humanists? This is a good example of how we innocently and automatically confer greater status and value to theists than secularists, as though we believe them and their opinions to be more valuable and important.
Why?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:
Renee wrote:I had been to secular Humanist meetings which had been constantly interrupted by fundamentalist religionists heckling the speakers.

How come it does not happen in reverse? Secular thinkers going to church, and interrupting the liturgy with objections, or pointing out self-contradictions in bible quotes at fundamentalist evangelical Sunday congregations?
Because we would be ferociously abused and violently assaulted by adherents to "the religion of love".

Theists believe that they are in touch with the sacred and thus they believe their opinions are of value while those of secularists are simply nothing. Thus they feel justified in trampling over others, as they have done throughout history. Ganging up to destroy others is highly successful in terms of group selection; secularists have never been able to compete with theists and we remain under theistic control today.

We do not live in, and have never lived in, a secular society; theism faded somewhat but remains easily the dominant force in society. With about 80% of elected politicians in the US being religious, theists have continued to control world affairs for decades. Whether it's Confucianism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism or Taoism, religion maintains control over public policy and socially. So theists heckling in a secular gathering would broadly be considered to simply be reasonable dissent, while atheists heckling in churches would be considered to be disgustingly disrespectful for failing to respect their worship.

This is ultimately about perceived value as a human being. Consider the reason why theists would not broadly be criticised for disrespect for their heckling and you will see how the game is played. To many theists, secularists are barely even human. To them we are nothing - dirt to be blown away at the time of judgement. I don't think secular society appreciates the extent to which they are dehumanised and objectified by theistic cabals in power.
The essence of theism is that the world is divided into Believers and Nonbelievers. An inherent Us vs Them scenario. Naturally, by definition all theists are Us, so they feel very justified in casting everyone else (in this example atheists) as members of Them and thus their treatment as second class citizens flows from that. One of the worst side effects of theism to my eye.
"As usual... it depends."
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

LuckyR wrote:
The essence of theism is that the world is divided into Believers and Nonbelievers. An inherent Us vs Them scenario. Naturally, by definition all theists are Us, so they feel very justified in casting everyone else (in this example atheists) as members of Them and thus their treatment as second class citizens flows from that. One of the worst side effects of theism to my eye.
Er...what do you think you're doing here?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote:
Greta wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Why?
An imbalance of respect and "sacredness". The concerns of theists are treated as critically important and sacred while those of secularists are treated as nothing; the subject matter and passion with which the humanists feel about the ideas were disregarded by the heckling theists of the OP.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Dark Matter wrote: Er...what do you think you're doing here?
I think I know what you are doing here... but I'd like to hear it in your own words.
Ignorance is power.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dark Matter wrote:
LuckyR wrote:
Uummm... pointing out that historically atheists feel that Believers are missing out a superior worldview while theists look at Nonbelievers as BEING inferior.
"As usual... it depends."
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

LuckyR wrote:
Dark Matter wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Uummm... pointing out that historically atheists feel that Believers are missing out a superior worldview while theists look at Nonbelievers as BEING inferior.
Nooo. You're creating an "us" vs. "them" scenario.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

If you reverse the positions here and read back the whole thread you may see this is little more than an arguing for the sake of arguing.

As far as I know most religious texts talk about empathy and self-reflection. The Us and Them mentality is used in political circles to shape idealologies.

Some people are crazy, some people are not. A crazy person may or may not be theist,atheist or anti-theist. Love is often regarded as a form of madness.
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

What I see are a bunch of "victicrats" whining about how tough the real world can be.and continually looking for someone to blame...just like Obama.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

What I see are people placing themselves on pedestals and casting judgement on other contributors from on high. Remember, you have the option of addressing the topic.
Dark Matter wrote:What I see are a bunch of "victicrats" whining about how tough the real world can be.and continually looking for someone to blame...just like Obama.
I guess then the way to avoid being a victim is to go to religious gatherings during services and heckle the speakers. However, I suspect that heckling humanists would be far safer than heckling a church service. The latter would see one threatened and run out of town.

The religious have been playing the "poor us" game re: so-called secular society for as long as I have been alive at least, even though they have been unambiguously been running the world.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream