What constitutes superstition?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Felix

Re: What constitutes superstition?

Post by Felix »

I see this as one of many reasons why "witchdoctors" and such have lasted.
Close... one of my favorite books on the subject: https://goo.gl/ek2APm

I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Platos_academy
New Trial Member

Post by Platos_academy »

Dark Matter wrote:Good question.

There is no “knowing.” Everything we think we know is superstition. All our beliefs — and the lack thereof — reflect of our relationship with the Whole, or, rather, how we imagine it to be.
I agree. I think superstition is just one of those terms that will have meaning subjectively but can't be universally defined. When we do try to define it universally, the whole thing falls apart and it essentially has no relative meaning because everything can be called "Superstition."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Platos_academy wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:Good question.

There is no “knowing.” Everything we think we know is superstition. All our beliefs — and the lack thereof — reflect of our relationship with the Whole, or, rather, how we imagine it to be.
I agree. I think superstition is just one of those terms that will have meaning subjectively but can't be universally defined. When we do try to define it universally, the whole thing falls apart and it essentially has no relative meaning because everything can be called "Superstition."
Everything can be called "gubbertitterishing" too. So what?

I would say, if you say chemistry or mathematics is a "superstition", that you are misusing the term.
AKA badgerjelly
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Chasw wrote: How do you separate superstition from "true" belief? - CW
I haven't found it possible to do so.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote:There is ground to cover regarding placebo effects and religiosity. "Belief" in something can affect recovery. I see this as one of many reasons why "witchdoctors" and such have lasted.
That doesn't make it less superstitious.
The baseball player who thinks he'll play better in his lucky cap will play equally well if he doesn't know his lucky cap's been switched off for an identical one.
His belief that the cap affects the game is superstition.
So is any other belief that unrelated things have cause-and-effect relationships, such as prayer curing disease or a small green leaf helping you win the lottery.
How do you separate superstition from "true" belief? - CW
By following the chain of cause and effect. If it breaks down, you attributed the observed results to the wrong agency. Retrace and try again.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

By following the chain of cause and effect.
If one can follow it, which is a big If, thus the debate.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Ozymandias
Favorite Philosopher: Loren Eiseley

Post by Ozymandias »

Great question, but I think it has very little to do with actual religious philosophy, and more to do with rhetoric.

"Superstition" is simply a subjectively used ad hominem attack. By claiming someone's belief's to be superstitious, I am simply making an unfounded* assertion that my beliefs are epistemologically superior to theirs. Superstition just depends on point of view; the party with less extreme belief will often view the party with more extreme belief to be superstitious.

*For most supernatural beliefs, one cannot really be superior to another. If a supernatural belief claims to have demonstrable effects and it doesn't, then it is inferior to a supernatural belief that doesn't claim to have demonstrable effects, because the former can be proven false while the latter isn't provable one way or the other. But that said, as for a belief that cannot demonstrate what is claims to demonstrate: while some would call it a superstition, I think the better term is pseudoscience.

Honestly, superstition is a word that I try not to use very much. I don't like using terms that aren't strictly defined. If I use a word that doesn't have a relatively equal definition for me and the person with whom I'm speaking, I need to get a better word. (i.e. let's start saying pseudoscience instead of superstition)

Superstition is just an attack word, and it doesn't mean anything deeply or accurately philosophical, it means "I have a big ego and think that my beliefs are better than yours." Not trying to insult or call out anyone who uses the word, but that is the increasingly apparent meaning of it in my experience.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Alias -

A baseball players performance can be effected by such a thought. Such a thought would not effect the outcome of a lottery draw though.

Thanks for helping me highlight the distinction I was trying to express.

Other things like understanding that 1+1=2 is not a "superstition". I would argue strongly that we can say "anything" can be a superstition.

I believe A tatses better than B. Is that also a "superstition"? Not at all.
AKA badgerjelly
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Ozymandias wrote:Great question, but I think it has very little to do with actual religious philosophy, and more to do with rhetoric.

"Superstition" is simply a subjectively used ad hominem attack. By claiming someone's belief's to be superstitious, I am simply making an unfounded* assertion that my beliefs are epistemologically superior to theirs. Superstition just depends on point of view; the party with less extreme belief will often view the party with more extreme belief to be superstitious.

*For most supernatural beliefs, one cannot really be superior to another. If a supernatural belief claims to have demonstrable effects and it doesn't, then it is inferior to a supernatural belief that doesn't claim to have demonstrable effects, because the former can be proven false while the latter isn't provable one way or the other. But that said, as for a belief that cannot demonstrate what is claims to demonstrate: while some would call it a superstition, I think the better term is pseudoscience.

Honestly, superstition is a word that I try not to use very much. I don't like using terms that aren't strictly defined. If I use a word that doesn't have a relatively equal definition for me and the person with whom I'm speaking, I need to get a better word. (i.e. let's start saying pseudoscience instead of superstition)

Superstition is just an attack word, and it doesn't mean anything deeply or accurately philosophical, it means "I have a big ego and think that my beliefs are better than yours." Not trying to insult or call out anyone who uses the word, but that is the increasingly apparent meaning of it in my experience.
When the use of "superstition" is interpreted as an attack then it is an attack on an ego. "Superstition" could, in fact, be an invitation to discuss. However, the ego that is 'religion' so often interprets any attempt to have its beliefs subject to analysis as something offensive.
Ozymandias
Favorite Philosopher: Loren Eiseley

Post by Ozymandias »

Grunth wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Great question, but I think it has very little to do with actual religious philosophy, and more to do with rhetoric.

When the use of "superstition" is interpreted as an attack then it is an attack on an ego. "Superstition" could, in fact, be an invitation to discuss. However, the ego that is 'religion' so often interprets any attempt to have its beliefs subject to analysis as something offensive.
You misunderstand me- I'm not "interpreting" the definition of 'superstition', I'm observing the definition of it.

If you want an interpretation or analysis of it, here: Since it is meant to describe a belief that is wrong, but it doesn't have strictly quantifiable or qualifiable requirements for "wrong", in common usage, it can be and is used as an attack. It is like the term "stupid"; we call people stupid when we think they are less intelligent than ourselves, even though "stupid" doesn't actually describe them in any sort of accuracy because A) we don't actually understand their mind's cognitive ability and B) 'stupid' doesn't describe a specific level of cognitive ability. In the same way, 'superstition' doesn't actually describe a specific level of epistemological validity, at least not in the colloquial usage of the term. I find that people usually just say "superstition" when they are talking about a belief system they don't like or understand.

I don't think every invitation to discuss religion is an attack on religion, I think an invitation to discuss religion that begins with a label such as "superstition" is an attack on religion. I only interpret a term as offensive if it is meant to be offensive, and I find that the term 'superstition' is, most commonly, just used to bash a belief that one doesn't like.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Superstition is used to devalue, so it is an attack. That is generally how the word is used in everyday life.

It can be used in other ways too of course. I may know I am superstitious about something and my "superstitious" actions allow me to cope with some given fear/threat. There is a difference between knowing what is and whatv is not superstitious. Picking lottery numbers based on some scheme is ignorant superstition. Wearing one red sock before a speech is a superstition that takes the form of a tradition which helps settle the the mind in a certain way so as to achieve an actual better outcome (a kind of reverse phobia).
AKA badgerjelly
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Burning ghost wrote:Superstition is used to devalue, so it is an attack. That is generally how the word is used in everyday life.

It can be used in other ways too of course. I may know I am superstitious about something and my "superstitious" actions allow me to cope with some given fear/threat. There is a difference between knowing what is and whatv is not superstitious. Picking lottery numbers based on some scheme is ignorant superstition. Wearing one red sock before a speech is a superstition that takes the form of a tradition which helps settle the the mind in a certain way so as to achieve an actual better outcome (a kind of reverse phobia).
The sock analogy is not a reverse phobia. It is just a phobia, because if that sock is lost prior to the scheduled speech then the impact of that phobia will reveal it more coherently as what it always was......a phobia.

-- Updated December 24th, 2016, 11:47 am to add the following --

And so to call someone as being superstitious about the red sock is to identify a phobia. Not, therefore, necessarily an attack. Is it to 'devalue' then? Is it devaluing to help someone realize their phobia is mere superstition in order to point out a neurosis which will have unfortunate outcomes for them?
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote:Alias -

I would argue strongly that we can say "anything" can be a superstition.
You can say anything about anything, as long as you don't care what words mean.
believe A tatses better than B. Is that also a "superstition"? Not at all.
No, that is a preference. So are all subjective judgments of beauty and personal value.
Unless you believe that the addition of pixie dust is what made the difference between two otherwise identical dishes, there is no superstition involved. It's never involved in ordinary mundane choices or activities.

Super-stition is peculiar to belief in the super-natural. Its distinguishing characteristic is some form of magic; something that could not happen by natural, observable, or physical means.
It's about to what causative agency you attribute an object, an event or an outcome. There is always a why-because relationship.
Why did he get shingles? Because he swore in church that time. Why did he get better? Because he went to confession and did penance.
Why did she escape unharmed from the car accident? Because her guardian angel was on the job.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Wearing a red sock is ritualistic. It has an effect on what happens when the person acts. The same cannot be said about picking lottery numbers or games of chance. Ritual in the case of the red sock is to do with an understanding that there is no supernatural force, but there is a sense of irrational comfort gained.

You said anything can be a superstition? You meant that how? Anything but not everything?

Yes, the word has anti-religious origin. It can be used elsewhere as I mentioned.

Grunth -

I suggest you look up the etymology of the word if you don't see that it is used to demean religious people by refering to them as "ignorant" and "lacking in reason".
AKA badgerjelly
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Burning ghost wrote:Wearing a red sock is ritualistic. It has an effect on what happens when the person acts.
Ritualism is not an automatic counter to superstition. One can be ritualistically superstitious.
Burning ghost wrote:The same cannot be said about picking lottery numbers or games of chance. Ritual in the case of the red sock is to do with an understanding that there is no supernatural force, but there is a sense of irrational comfort gained.
Where is the rational comfort if the red sock is misplaced? Is it with the lost sock?

Picking lottery numbers can also be ritualistic.
Burning ghost wrote:You said anything can be a superstition? You meant that how? Anything but not everything?
Where did I apparently say that? Maybe you have confused me with someone else's response.
Burning ghost wrote:Yes, the word has anti-religious origin. It can be used elsewhere as I mentioned.
And as long as there has been religion then of course there will have been doubters, which is perfectly sane and reasonable.

Is there something wrong with being anti-religion? If it is ok to be pro something then it must be equally ok to be anti that same something.

Burning ghost wrote:I suggest you look up the etymology of the word if you don't see that it is used to demean religious people by referring to them as "ignorant" and "lacking in reason".

No "demean religious people" or "ignorant" did I see in the etymology. As for "lacking in reason", well, you have yourself already suggested the red-sock-ritual is irrational.

Maybe my merely questioning your analysis feels like an attack on you to you.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream