Lucky Guesses?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Nick_A

Re: Lucky Guesses?

Post by Nick_A »

Dark Matter, you wrote:
Which is to say, like Watts, "Evolution is, therefore, a transition from the potential to the actual, wherein the new powers and qualities constantly acquired are derived, not from the potential, but from a superior type of life which already possesses them."
You seem open to these types of ideas. I tried to revive an old thread on the human condition. It seems to have bombed. Yet I'd like to get your opinion on conscious evolution being the natural continuation of mechanical evolution. Animal man is the highest form of mechanical evolution on earth and is unique for the potential for conscious evolution. Do you agree that what I am suggesting is a legitimate possibility for fallen man? It is far from an original idea. Many sense the transition. If true this intuitive sensing is more than a lucky guess but remembering what has been forgotten. Sometimes the link doesn't work but "Human Condition" is now near the top of the Ethics and Morality board

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... 28#p282328
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Nick_A wrote:Dark Matter, you wrote:
Which is to say, like Watts, "Evolution is, therefore, a transition from the potential to the actual, wherein the new powers and qualities constantly acquired are derived, not from the potential, but from a superior type of life which already possesses them."
You seem open to these types of ideas. I tried to revive an old thread on the human condition. It seems to have bombed. Yet I'd like to get your opinion on conscious evolution being the natural continuation of mechanical evolution. Animal man is the highest form of mechanical evolution on earth and is unique for the potential for conscious evolution. Do you agree that what I am suggesting is a legitimate possibility for fallen man? It is far from an original idea. Many sense the transition. If true this intuitive sensing is more than a lucky guess but remembering what has been forgotten. Sometimes the link doesn't work but "Human Condition" is now near the top of the Ethics and Morality board

http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... 28#p282328
I'm sot sure, but I tend to think that, maybe, a part of us existed/exists in an an eternal pre-personal form, like the Atman in the Hindu religion and the "soul" is the offspring of this spirit and our mortal existence.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Dark Matter:
I thought I made it clear in post #48 that this isn't about he said/she said or agreeing with someone mentioned.
It was about what he (Watts) and he (Davies) said until you found out that they were not saying what you wanted them to be saying. And now you claim it is irrelevant to talk about them, that it muddies the water.

But now, reversing course once again, you return to Davies:
Is there something about "the videos are not intended as an appeal to authority except to show that the insights in the OP are consistent with modern physics" you don't understand?
Is there something about the fact that what he says about modern physics is not consistent with the OP that you don’t understand? Is there something about the fact that it cannot be shown that what he says is not consistent without talking about what he actually says?
It's about what's possible and making meaningful subjective connections.
Your meaningful subjective connections amount to nothing more than:
A says X
B says not X
Therefore there is a meaningful subjective connection between A and B because both statements include ‘X’ and it is irrelevant to point out that B negates X.

If you want to say anything more meaningful about the authors you introduce and how they relate to the ideas and concept you introduce you have to stop pretending that the ideas and concepts don’t matter.

If what you want to talk about is:
The "knowingness" ... the realization of the Infinite and eternal nature of Being itself without the mediation of ideas.
then give up the misguided idea that this “knowingness” correlates to the concepts of physics. You cannot do physics without the mediation of ideas, and you cannot talk about their concepts without the mediation of ideas, and you cannot talk about the Infinite, God, self-referential system, synthesis of the Infinite and finite, the Eternal and the temporal, Freedom and necessity, and Being without the mediation of ideas.

You cannot even talk about the possibility of a subjective connection without the mediation of ideas, for the possibility of such a connection is itself an idea. The possibility of such a connection is not the experience of this connection. If you have had this experience then why get yourself mired in the logic of relations? You would not ask:
And if they were really on to something, how?
Your experiential “knowingness” would tell you that the were and how. If you have not had that experience then you are just playing with ideas. That is part of what we do here, so don't it is not a game if you are not winning. Not all games are played to be won.

Nick_A:
That is the point. The universe is a machine. I know it as the body of a conscious Source.
You may “know it” as such but that is not what Tesla is saying. You have missed the point.
The universe is governed by mechanical laws and consciousness.
Are you expressing your opinion (knowledge?) or Tesla’s opinion? If the latter then you need to support the addition of consciousness to what he says. Where does he say this?
Consider the body of God, our universe, as between two poles.
I do not consider our universe to be the body of God. Neither did Tesla. Neither does Davies. Neither does Dark Matter, if he can calm down enough to see that.
Simone Weil wrote:
Simone Weil. Of course. I am not the only one laughing at her expected appearance.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Fooloso4, why be such a nudge?
That is the point. The universe is a machine. I know it as the body of a conscious Source.

You may “know it” as such but that is not what Tesla is saying. You have missed the point.
I just elaborated on what Tesla wrote. I know it as the body of God. It is called conversation. If the universe is a machine what creates the machine? This is just a logical extension of the Tesla quote.
Are you expressing your opinion (knowledge?) or Tesla’s opinion? If the latter then you need to support the addition of consciousness to what he says. Where does he say this?
A machine lacks consciousness. It is mechanical and governed by laws.

What creates laws? Consciousness. They have no mechanical reason to exist. The quotes from Tesla didn’t limit the thread to Tesla. I said that if he is right I believe it necessitates a conscious Source. A machine needs a creator.
I do not consider our universe to be the body of God. Neither did Tesla. Neither does Davies. Neither does Dark Matter, if he can calm down enough to see that.
I didn’t demand that you accept the premise that the universe is the body of God. It is just a way of expressing the relationship between the Source outside of time and sace and creation which functions within the limitations of time and space.
Simone Weil. Of course. I am not the only one laughing at her expected appearance.
You are obviously intimidated by women whose emotional and intellectual intelligence far exceeds yours. She exceeds mine as well but I am not intimidated by it; I learn from it. A real woman of philosophy doesn’t just argue abortion and gender rights with a frown representing the imagined superiority of feminism. A woman of philosophy can actually have an overwhelming need for truth and be capable of the emotional and intellectual intelligence necessary for genuine contemplation worthy of the name. You may laugh at her expected appearance but Albert Camus called her the “only great mind of our time.” So if it is a choice between your ideas or Simone’s, I’ll stick with Simone.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Nick_A:
I just elaborated on what Tesla wrote.
If he says one thing and you say something quite different that is not an elaboration.
This is just a logical extension of the Tesla quote.
It is not a logical extension. If you read the quotes I provided you will see that he thinks of it in terms of stimulus response, which does not require consciousness. He may be wrong, and I think he is, but introducing him only to change what he says into something he does not say is to misrepresent him.
The quotes from Tesla didn’t limit the thread to Tesla.
That’s true, but you did not introduce Tesla to pose the questions you now raise. You introduced him as if you were receiving the same thing he was. To make your own claims about consciousness. Davies rejects the claim that consciousness creates laws. He says the laws create consciousness. Now you do not have to agree with him either, but I think it important to distinguish what you believe from a) what you think the scientists that have been introduced into the discussion are saying, and b) from what they are saying.
You call it being a nudge. DM calls it muddying the water. I call it clarity.

You are obviously intimidated by women whose emotional and intellectual intelligence far exceeds yours.
Complete nonsense. The fact that she is a woman has nothing to do with it. It could just as well have been anyone else who you felt compelled to incessantly and relentless quoted at every opportunity. I do find it suspicious, however, that you think her gender is an issue. It says far more about you than me.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

DM I think you want to express the profundity and fundamentality of the rather stark fact that all we can ever know is our own experience, and the only way we can ever experience anything beyond that is through interaction, relating. We're isolated little islands of not-knowing and not-understanding the air we live in, the people we meet, beyond that. And we desperately feel the need to create meaning beyond ourselves, connection, feel something which has its own reality in our interactions with the world and others. You talk about it in terms of the universe's desire to know itself, for its parts to relate in myriad ways. I think you give all this the label 'God' as a signifier of its fundamentality and profundity, you see it as the ultimate dilemma of subjective consciousness, this deep need for wholeness and escaping our isolation and finding meaning outside ourselves.

You also chuck in some ad hoc bits n pieces about other things of particular importance to you from time to time, but I think essentially that's what you're pointing to. It's your way of talking about the existential angst of individual conscious Subjects like ourselves, and how to make that meaningful beyond itself, for all the individual Mes to have meanings beyond ourselves. You feel that can't be all there is, and religion is a language and method of trying to move beyond it. A way to talk about and experience a hint of the sought after perfection of unity, as opposed to the unsatisfactoriness of fragmentary isolation.

That's my interpretation anyway. Or rather my way of putting that sense we all have whether we examine it or not, in a way you can hopefully understand and relate to.

Me, faced with the same existential angst, I prefer to call myself an atheist. The 'God' baggage only adds obfuscation to me. I don't make any claims to any special knowledge or enlightenment and I don't believe you or Nick have stumbled onto a torch I missed. Feel free to LOL at my stupidity, I don't care, I don't see enlightenment worth the name in it. If it works for you, great, it doesn't for me. Your grail doesn't have to be mine, and when you move into the Shared Realm of Claims I find them wanting.

I see a certain endearing humility in staring meaningless in the eye and getting on with it, trying to live a life which means something to us and the people we encounter. I don't yearn for lost perfection somewhere out there beyond reach, I see value in embracing a shared humanity, in all its flaws, and just trying to do our best. Trying to be kind, trying to be understanding. That's plenty of a challenge for someone like me. ;)

Anyway I think it's time to leave you to it.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Gertie wrote:I see a certain endearing humility in staring meaningless in the eye and getting on with it, trying to live a life which means something to us and the people we encounter.
I like this, so let's keep going in that direction. If we are to explore humility, why label reality as being meaningful or meaningless? Are we really staring reality in the eye if we then immediately proceed to label it? If we label reality as being meaningful (theism) or meaningless (atheism) then aren't we really staring not at reality, but at our own tiny little minds?

The way you phrased your quoted sentence above honestly reveals that atheism is not just a "lack of belief". It is instead a competing belief. Having discarded theism you perhaps think that now you are being realistic, clear eyed, liberated from fantasy knowings, facing the unknown squarely and bravely etc. But that's not yet the case. When you label reality as being meaningless all you've done is trade one faith based belief for another.

Being brave enough to see this can be quite instructive, because when those who explicitly reject faith based beliefs proceed immediately proceed to adopt a faith based belief of their own we see the awesome power of faith in the human condition, and develop a deeper insight in to why religious people hold on to their flavor of faith.

What I'm pointing to might be called another level of atheism. Let's call it, um, The Super Atheist. No, sorry, I meant, THE SUPER ATHEIST!! A regular atheist transcends theism and then stops their journey and settles down to build a little fort. The Super Atheist skips the fort stage, continues on their journey, and transcends atheism in the very same way they have transcended theism.

The Super Atheist does not bother staring either meaning or meaninglessness in the eye, for these are just tiny symbols in the human mind, little pieces of conceptual cardboard.

The Super Atheist stares reality in the eye.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Gertie, nicely expressed, in both senses of the term.
Your grail doesn't have to be mine, and when you move into the Shared Realm of Claims I find them wanting.
My complaint goes a bit further. It is when philosophers and scientists are appropriated and used to lend credibility to a claim by making it seem as if they are saying things they are not. I do not think it is always a matter of deliberate misrepresentation, but it is misrepresentation nonetheless. There is an enthusiasm to discuss these figures until it becomes clear that they are not saying what it is claimed they are saying and then there is a complete reversal, protestations that it is not about these scientists and philosophers, and an unwillingness to discuss the views of the figures they previously introduced.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Pretty good interpretation, Gertie.

In another thread, I was asked, “Are all beliefs equal?” I answered, “Personally, no; practically, yes because there are no true beliefs.” There are only relationships. A human being is a verb, the relating of a relation relating to itself — a synthesis of the Infinite and the finite, Eternal and temporal, Freedom and necessity. As such, we are only as isolated as we make ourselves to be.

Mind is at once our greatest asset and most oppressive tyrant. Thoughts and beliefs are necessary for ordering our existence, but they are images frozen in spacetime and clinging to them makes the Infinite-Eternal-Free inaccessible to us. I mention quantum mechanics because it has the potential to shatter the philosophical boundary between the Infinite, Eternal, Free and the finite, temporal and necessary. And as Neils Bohr famously said, “Physics is to be regarded not so much as the study of something a priori given, but rather as the development of methods of ordering and surveying human experience”.

It is not unreasonable to believe that mystics like Meister Eckhart were aware of penetrating or being penetrated by the Infinite-Eternal-Free.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Gertie wrote: DM I think you want to express the profundity and fundamentality of the rather stark fact that all we can ever know is our own experience, and the only way we can ever experience anything beyond that is through interaction, relating. We're isolated little islands of not-knowing and not-understanding the air we live in, the people we meet, beyond that. And we desperately feel the need to create meaning beyond ourselves, connection, feel something which has its own reality in our interactions with the world and others.

Obviously you are sincere in your views and who can ask for more. I agree that all we can ever know is our experience but what in us can experience and not interpret? I agree that many wish to create meaning but there is a minority of truly intelligent people in mind and heart who seek to open to meaning – what is already there our slavery to interpretation denies us.

I am a fan of Parabola Magazine. It serves the need for the experience of meaning and tradition. Here is a discussion between Richard Whittaker and Jacob Needleman titled: “The Great Unknown Is Me, Myself”

https://parabola.org/2016/03/04/the-gre ... needleman/

This is not an attempt to persuade you or anyone else concerning this great question of meaning and higher consciousness. I’m posting it because it is easy to take these ideas superficially with a quality of egoism assuring they could never be understood. Anyhow take from it what you will but if nothing else I hope you will see that the human question is far deeper than we assume. I know I’ve learned this and continually amazed at my ignorance. If we are the great unknown, how can we become capable of becoming known in pursuit of understanding?
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Nick:

Although we might express ourselves differently and have different ideas, it seems to me that neither one of us are prone to march in lockstep to traditional ways of thinking, and these excerpts from Love of Knowledge by Tarthang Tulku may explain why:
Investigations usually rely on a pre-existing understanding, which may or may not be formalized as a working 'philosophy'. Though useful as a tool, such pre-established understanding tends to be lifeless.

Few things seem as self-evident as the notion that knowledge arises as the result of a process — whether initiated internally or externally—that 'leads to' understanding. But this very self-evidence is grounds for suspicion. The most clear and distinct conventional ideas appear to be, the less new knowledge they can 'hold'. Once the 'process-oriented' model is accepted, related concepts such as 'experience' and 'experiencer' prove impenetrable to inquiry. For that matter, the basic nature of inquiry itself becomes a mystery.
And my favorite:
Behind the barricades of pre-established structures, the foxes of the intellect may engage in clever reasoning, but the lion Being continues to roar outside the gate.
I suggest that some of us are more in tune to 'lion of Being' than others.

-- Updated January 12th, 2017, 7:22 pm to add the following --
Ormond wrote: The Super Atheist stares reality in the eye.
Does that mean I'm a "Super Atheist"?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dark Matter wrote:Nick:

Although we might express ourselves differently and have different ideas, it seems to me that neither one of us are prone to march in lockstep to traditional ways of thinking, and these excerpts from Love of Knowledge by Tarthang Tulku may explain why:
Investigations usually rely on a pre-existing understanding, which may or may not be formalized as a working 'philosophy'. Though useful as a tool, such pre-established understanding tends to be lifeless.

Few things seem as self-evident as the notion that knowledge arises as the result of a process — whether initiated internally or externally—that 'leads to' understanding. But this very self-evidence is grounds for suspicion. The most clear and distinct conventional ideas appear to be, the less new knowledge they can 'hold'. Once the 'process-oriented' model is accepted, related concepts such as 'experience' and 'experiencer' prove impenetrable to inquiry. For that matter, the basic nature of inquiry itself becomes a mystery.
And my favorite:
Behind the barricades of pre-established structures, the foxes of the intellect may engage in clever reasoning, but the lion Being continues to roar outside the gate.
I suggest that some of us are more in tune to 'lion of Being' than others.

-- Updated January 12th, 2017, 7:22 pm to add the following --
Ormond wrote: The Super Atheist stares reality in the eye.
Does that mean I'm a "Super Atheist"?
Yes DM, we don't follow the crowd. I think that is one reason why I admire Simone Weil so much. A woman back in the 1930s went through hell to become respected as a brilliant individualist She was condemned as the Red Virgin because of her Marxist leanings and for not screwing the guys. Her dedication to truth at all cost made her finally abandon Marxism to the disappointment of Leon Trotsky and eventually become a Christian mystic. What we go through around here is nothing compared to the harassment she went through. Yet this need to get behind this pre-established thinking you referred to created a very special person. At one time I questioned whether it would have been better for me to be part of the crowd and be free of this inner need for something the World doesn't provide. Now I say "No Way" and envy those who were and are superior to me and as Simone has said are willing to "annoy the Great Beast" in the cause of truth.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream