The Paradoxes of Paradise -- is Heaven really Heaven?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
MHopcroft1963

The Paradoxes of Paradise -- is Heaven really Heaven?

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Oddly enough, it was something I saw on Steven Universe that made me want to post again.

In this particular episode, Steven had to rescue his father from a "zoo" in space where humans were kept. (The details would make no sense if you're not familiar with the series, and aren't all that relevant to the question). When he reaches the zoo, he discoevers that there are many humans there and they live a life of near-perpetual bliss. They are so well-cared-for, in fact, that they don't even know pain as a concept. They spend all their time feeling good and cannot comprehend the idea of not feeling good until the protagonist's father mucks up the works and they are introduced to the pain of not being able to have something they want. That causes the zookeepers to rush in and try to salvage the situation, allowing the captive father and son to escape.

In the zoo, everything you could ever think you would need or want is provided. Fruit literally sprouts from the trees on demand so you can eat it, and that fruit supplies everything your body needs. You lack for nothing except freedom, because the surest way to prevent you from escaping is to prevent you from wanting to escape in the first place.

And now I am reminded of how this compares to the Biblical story of Eden and its analogues in other faiths. Eden is just that sort of a place. Everything is provided for you as long as you obey. You are endlessly happy. Being kicked out into the world and having to work for your livelihood is the consequence of disobedience. Yet what would happen is you were, in fact, perfectly obedient and stuck to the rules? Would you revel in endless bliss, or would you become stagnant? In the Genesis account, Man had to disobey for anything else to happen.

Were they happy in Eden? And, since Heaven is cited as being an awful lot like Eden, would humans be happy in a similar Heaven? Or are these prisons of a sort, just like the space zoo, where your needs are met but your will and individuality are denied?
LuckyR

Re: The Paradoxes of Paradise -- is Heaven really Heaven?

Post by LuckyR »

MHopcroft1963 wrote:Oddly enough, it was something I saw on Steven Universe that made me want to post again.

In this particular episode, Steven had to rescue his father from a "zoo" in space where humans were kept. (The details would make no sense if you're not familiar with the series, and aren't all that relevant to the question). When he reaches the zoo, he discoevers that there are many humans there and they live a life of near-perpetual bliss. They are so well-cared-for, in fact, that they don't even know pain as a concept. They spend all their time feeling good and cannot comprehend the idea of not feeling good until the protagonist's father mucks up the works and they are introduced to the pain of not being able to have something they want. That causes the zookeepers to rush in and try to salvage the situation, allowing the captive father and son to escape.

In the zoo, everything you could ever think you would need or want is provided. Fruit literally sprouts from the trees on demand so you can eat it, and that fruit supplies everything your body needs. You lack for nothing except freedom, because the surest way to prevent you from escaping is to prevent you from wanting to escape in the first place.

And now I am reminded of how this compares to the Biblical story of Eden and its analogues in other faiths. Eden is just that sort of a place. Everything is provided for you as long as you obey. You are endlessly happy. Being kicked out into the world and having to work for your livelihood is the consequence of disobedience. Yet what would happen is you were, in fact, perfectly obedient and stuck to the rules? Would you revel in endless bliss, or would you become stagnant? In the Genesis account, Man had to disobey for anything else to happen.

Were they happy in Eden? And, since Heaven is cited as being an awful lot like Eden, would humans be happy in a similar Heaven? Or are these prisons of a sort, just like the space zoo, where your needs are met but your will and individuality are denied?
That all depends on what your ability is to have a theoretical philosophical thought process (not unlike this thread and my answer). If you have no inkling that there is another way of being beyond your own experience then you would not be in Paradise World, you would be in Standard World. Since you don't know of anything different (fruit that has to slowly grow on trees, only once a year, are not 100% nutritious and cost some money) this "bliss" isn't bliss to you, it is average and routine. Thus you are likely to be bored. This boredom will approach humongous proportions if you are able to conceive the idea of a world where there is work, sweat, pain and adversity but also learning, triumph, and achievement.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Heaven is normally described in terms which convey no practical meaning or offer any details or knowledge. Human's do not know what eternal happiness is or how to describe what types of things would lead to eternal happiness. So the best you can hope for is to say that it is defined as eternally happy.
Unknown means unknown.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Eduk wrote:Heaven is normally described in terms which convey no practical meaning or offer any details or knowledge. Human's do not know what eternal happiness is or how to describe what types of things would lead to eternal happiness. So the best you can hope for is to say that it is defined as eternally happy.
Whether "eternal happiness" is even conceivable depends on how you define happiness, and that is a very individual thing. For many of us, for example, we define happiness as accomplishing goals rather than everlasting pleasure. An afterlife where there is nothing left to achieve would be horrible for such a person.

And suppose if you will a heaven of eternal pleasant sensation but limited or no true cognition or individuality. While you would enjoy it, because you have no way not to, it might well pale in comparison to a life where you are a person who can think their own thoughts as opposed to simply feeling blissful.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

And now I am reminded of how this compares to the Biblical story of Eden and its analogues in other faiths.
It also remind me a bit of the novel Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I remember studying it at school in contrast to George Orwell's 1984. Both are worlds in which the population is controlled, but by using polar opposite methods.

Another random thing which springs to mind: the writer of books about hill walking, Alfred Wainwright. He compared the pleasure of long arduous walks in the hills to the pleasure of smashing your head against a brick wall. It makes you appreciate it when it stops. You need contrasts in life.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Out of interest MHopcroft1963 what conclusions do you draw from this apparently self contradictory definition of heaven?
Unknown means unknown.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

In the story of Adam and Eve, they had no knowledge of good or evil and therefore did not know that to disobey and eat the apple of knowledge, was either considered to be good or evil. Knowledge creates a division between the knower and the known. It is the division itself, which removes the knower from paradise.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Eduk wrote:Out of interest MHopcroft1963 what conclusions do you draw from this apparently self contradictory definition of heaven?
For one thing, I hope for an afterlife where I can think, create and do -- unlikely though that sounds.

There's no real conclusion, as obviously we have no reliable accounts of what would happen if our minds were preserved after death in some form. And of course, if you hold to atheism the point is moot, because then nothing would exist after the death of the physical brain -- a prospect I find even more frightening.

We are talking about what Shakespeare referred to as "The Undiscovered Country". We can only speculate on what lies there. Philosophy can inform that speculation, but that's really all we can do.

The principal question is "Is everlasting bliss truly blissful?" and my conclusion is that, at least for me, it is not. Case in point: last year I injured my shoulder so badly that in my ER visit I was given morphine to dull the pain. Now a lot of people find considerable relief in opiates when they are in pain. Some people take them when they aren't in severe pain just because they like how it feels. But that wasn't my experience. For me, the effects of morphine were unpleasant and even vaguely terrifying. What others see as a pleasant state of bliss and limited negative sensation, I intensely disliked. I suspect this is how I would react to the prospect of "everlasting bliss" if the thought included the utter lack of ability to act.

-- Updated January 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm to add the following --
Present awareness wrote:In the story of Adam and Eve, they had no knowledge of good or evil and therefore did not know that to disobey and eat the apple of knowledge, was either considered to be good or evil. Knowledge creates a division between the knower and the known. It is the division itself, which removes the knower from paradise.
If I can get into the theological, in this view of the account Adam had to fall in order for human beings to exist as full persons. The alternative was an immortal existence with no possibility of creativity or accomplishment -- or indeed of any real pleasure or enjoyment. Adam and Eve would have simply existed forever with no chance of doing anything else than wander around a massive orchard picking fruit without really understanding why. Without that capacity, and without the desire to understand, humans wouldn't be recognizable as humans. Which is why Eden as a metaphor for Heaven is questionable.

Now I'm not suggesting that there was an actual Eden or that the account of Adam and Eve isn't a metaphor for something more basic in human nature. I'm not willing to take it quite that far. The writers of Genesis did not think too deeply on these questions, leaving that for later scholars.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

For one thing, I hope for an afterlife where I can think, create and do -- unlikely though that sounds.
Maybe this biases you?
Unknown means unknown.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

Eduk wrote:
Maybe this biases you?
Probably. It means for me that I have an answer I want, but that is not the necessarily the same thing as the answer I get. Many philosophers have set out to prove a thesis and end up proving something completely different that may even have been the opposite of the result they wanted. They took their original premise (in this case, an afterlife of eternal bliss) and found they could not make it stand up to logic. That's the difference between a philosopher and someone who just believes -- the believer, if he doesn;t get the answer he wants, is likely to "cheat" by changing the questions so that the result he wanted looks justified.

Does a university whose structure is intended to protect a particular faith worldview even want to have a Philosophy Department where people learn to ask questions?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If your life is near-ideal for too long, then you become vulnerable, weak, out-of-shape, too soft to endure even the gentle blows of life. Regular mild suffering is essential to stay in shape, and if you don't inflict it on yourself then you can be sure life will do it for you.
Eluhorem
New Trial Member

Post by Eluhorem »

It also all depends on how we define happiness. In my experience, happiness isn't equal to comfort, or pleasure, but is a result of living a fulfilling life, working through challenges for a cause I deem worthy. Heaven as it's traditionally conceived seems something like a heroin trip, like just a bath of pleasure, but lacking the components that make human life fulfilling or meaningful.
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

The definition of any word, carries the meaning that we assign to it. So heaven is simply heaven. The question should perhaps be, "is the definition of heaven, accurate"? The answer would probably be "yes" because that's how heaven is defined. If we ask whether a state of everlasting bliss is possible, the answer would be "if there is, it would be heaven".
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream