Why do people take the Lord's name in vain?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Why do people take the Lord's name in vain?

Post by Eduk »

As already mentioned that commandment is more likely to basically mean that God is the ultimate authority and wasn't intended to specifically mean that you shouldn't use his name as a swear word. Of course part of God being the ultimate authority means that you can't use his name as a swear word, so it's reasonable, in this context, to say using his name as a swear word is breaking the commandment.
Of course though what more human thing is there than some people exerting influence and proclaiming themselves authorities and making rules only for other people to immediately then break those rules (because they are rules). Just see the history of censorship for examples.
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Taking the Lord's name in vain is showing a significant amount of disrespect to God, and when people do that they usually conjoin it with a swearword, which would be even more disrespectful. It's not censorship, just showing a little respect.
God doesn't seem to be one to give His children rules that he intends them to break as a test of their strength. I would think that He favors obedience more than disobedience.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

Swearing is helpful. It literally reduces the level of reported sensations of pain.

Breaking religious taboos is a useful and handy form of swearing, that most people tend to find less disturbing than breaking social sexual taboos.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

It's not censorship, just showing a little respect.
Asking people to show respect is not censorship. Killing people because they don't show respect seems like quite a bit of censorship. Going to hell for eternity for not showing respect really feels like rather a lot of censorship.
I mean when I look for the dictionary definition of censorship that's what it appears to mean to my understanding.
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

:| There has to be other ways of releasing painful sensations rather than swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain.

-- Updated March 30th, 2017, 10:13 am to add the following --

Okay, yes Eduk that wouldn't be censorship, but showing respect to God would not be censorship, would it?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I said exactly that asking people to show respect is not censorship. But a commandment is not exactly the same thing as asking.
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Fair point, Eduk, fair point.
So why would people break such a commandment?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Well I think a lot of explanations have been offered already, are none of them possible?
I mean I don't think it's the case that every time someone swears that they do it for only one reason and always for the same reason. My most recent example was because someone told them not to. I'm sure that amongst other reasons this has an influence.
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Very good point, Eduk. All points are possible, the question is which of them is true?
I have also noticed that people often fight against the restrictions placed upon them at youth. It seems to me that one of two things can happen to those sort of people: One) they get wise and stop, or Two) they keep on doing it until it becomes habit and leads to other things that are worse. Perhaps that is why God gave such a commandment, so that His children would stay on the straight and narrow, and thus: salvation.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I didn't mean possible in the harsh philosophical sense, I meant it in more the every day meaning. Some of the reasons given are accurate in my opinion. But like I said there are many reasons to do things, there are lots of true answers.
I have also noticed that people often fight against the restrictions placed upon them at youth. It seems to me that one of two things can happen to those sort of people: One) they get wise and stop, or Two) they keep on doing it until it becomes habit and leads to other things that are worse.
I agree some people rebel, more many different reasons. Quite often just simply to rebel. But you have missed off an option, Three) They keep doing it and it leads to other things which are better.
Not all rebellions in the history of mankind have been negative.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Lark_Truth:
It occurs to me that I haven't answered my own question on the thread that I myself posted. So, I'd say the reason why people take the Lord's name in vain is because they haven't been taught to speak in respect to their God by their parents/guardians, and/or they pick it up from people who are their friends or who they admire, and then it just becomes habit for them. A very unfortunate pitfall.
The question of whether or not it's unfortunate (by which I presume you mean mildly immoral) depends on something else that we are taught by our parents or guardians: a moral framework.

The moral framework that existed in my family as a child and which I pass on to my children consists largely of respect for other human beings. There is no respect required for characters from stories or people from ancient history. It's not an issue one way or the other. I don't, for example, demand that my children respect Henry VIII or Santa Claus. Therefore showing respect for a fictitious character is not something that my parents, or I as a parent, regard as necessary. But different families have different attitudes. Each to their own. It takes all sorts. There's nowt so queer as folk. etc.

If another parent wishes their children to refrain from shouting "Harry Potter!" when they hit their thumb with a hammer, so as to show due deference to child wizards, then that is their business. It seems odd to me but it does no harm, so I am happy to live and let live. Likewise is they wish them to refrain from shouting "Jesus, Mary and Joseph that hurt!", or "God!" or some such thing, then I have no problem with that. But I would likewise not expect them to impose their preferences on me and my family. If I did that and accepted that people can dictate to me which fictitious characters I should respect (and also to dictate what it means to "respect" them) then obviously I leave myself open to arbitrary censorship.

If they tell me that the character in question is not fictitious then, again, they have every right to believe that. But they do not have the right to expect me to act as if that belief were true.
Felix

Post by Felix »

but still the commandment was given for a reason.
Perhaps the commandment was not meant to be taken literally. Assuming the translation was accurate, it may not have not been, it could be interpreted in other ways. Then again, didn't the god of the Old Testament proclaim that he was a jealous god? So maybe he was just thin skinned.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Togo1 wrote:Swearing is helpful. It literally reduces the level of reported sensations of pain.

Breaking religious taboos is a useful and handy form of swearing, that most people tend to find less disturbing than breaking social sexual taboos.
I agree, and I think that Lark_Truth's point of the previous post that it's disrespectful is also true. To swear "Oh my god!" can reduce pain, but only if "Oh my god!" is not used like a trendy exclamation, which it is increasingly these days.

The way that some religious describe God is so banal that they the demoting of the holy name is partly their fault. Such religious teachers seem unable to purvey a reasonable faith. Modern theologians seem to be reasonable from the little I have heard from them, and yet the preachers are unable to teach those outside of the churches. If anyone knows of a website where some sect adequately explains its theology please let me know.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I do actually sometimes exclaim "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!" but usually do it in an imitation of an Irish accent, as I tend to think of this (rightly or wrongly) as an archetypal Irish exclamation. I'd see that as being (if anything) disrespectful to the Irish because they exist now and are therefore capable of taking offence at this racial stereotype, whereas Jesus and His mum and step-dad died a long time ago.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Belindi wrote:I agree, and I think that Lark_Truth's point of the previous post that it's disrespectful is also true. To swear "Oh my god!" can reduce pain, but only if "Oh my god!" is not used like a trendy exclamation, which it is increasingly these days.
Thank you Belindi. But would calling upon the Lord's name or God's name in vain at all still be considered blasphemous?
Belindi wrote:The way that some religious describe God is so banal that they the demoting of the holy name is partly their fault. Such religious teachers seem unable to purvey a reasonable faith. Modern theologians seem to be reasonable from the little I have heard from them, and yet the preachers are unable to teach those outside of the churches.
That is a good point, Belindi, one that I have not considered. The way I have heard it described is that God is so vast and complex that it is difficult for mortal humans to even begin to describe Him, which may explain why it is so difficult for preachers to explain the concepts of their religion.
It seems ironic to me that preachers are unable to teach those outside of the churches as one of the core beliefs of most Christian sects concerning salvation is that those who don't believe in Jesus Christ will go to hell, even if they are kind and generous people, while an arrogant and cruel man will go to heaven merely because he believes in Jesus Christ. If the preachers can't teach people not of their faith to believe in Christ, then how are they going to save as many people as possible? Of course, there are missionaries, but I would think that the duty of gathering converts shouldn't just fall on their shoulders, but on the authorities of religion as well.
Belindi wrote:If anyone knows of a website where some sect adequately explains its theology please let me know.
Beyond Mormon.org - which you're probably tired of hearing me spout about, and with good reason too - I am stumped.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream