Why do people take the Lord's name in vain?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Belindi

Re: Why do people take the Lord's name in vain?

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth wrote:
---would calling upon the Lord's name or God's name in vain at all still be considered blasphemous?
Is that an 'ought' question, or an 'is' question?
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

It would be an "is" question Belindi.

When God gives a commandment, it is good advice to follow it.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Belindi wrote:Lark_Truth wrote:
---would calling upon the Lord's name or God's name in vain at all still be considered blasphemous?
Is that an 'ought' question, or an 'is' question?

1. Who would consider it blasphemous to call upon the Lord's name in vain? (Is an 'is' question which can be answered by for instance questionnaires)

2. Ought you to consider it blasphemous to call upon the Lord's name in vain? (Is an 'ought' question which can be answered for instance by a questionnaire, or alternatively by appeal to a political, legal, or moral authority.)

-- Updated April 2nd, 2017, 3:31 pm to add the following --

Lark_Truth, do you yourself consider it blasphemous to call upon the lord's name in vain? If so, why
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

2. Ought you to consider it blasphemous to call upon the Lord's name in vain? (Is an 'ought' question which can be answered for instance by a questionnaire, or alternatively by appeal to a political, legal, or moral authority.)
Actually it can't be answered by the examples you give. Authority fallacy and appeal to majority fallacy make it so that while not necessarily wrong it's not necessarily correct either.
For my money I would prefer testable theories. I commit blasphemy every single day (more or less) and thus far I haven't been struck down by any angry Gods. This is only anecdotal of course so still not proof. But it's a well tested theory to my knowledge.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Eduk wrote:
Actually it can't be answered by the examples you give. Authority fallacy and appeal to majority fallacy make it so that while not necessarily wrong it's not necessarily correct either.
For my money I would prefer testable theories. I commit blasphemy every single day (more or less) and thus far I haven't been struck down by any angry Gods. This is only anecdotal of course so still not proof. But it's a well tested theory to my knowledge.

Yes but you can still hand in your opinion , and argue in support of the legal, political, or religious authority. No opinion is ever absolutely right or wrong including opinions about ethics or aesthetics. There would be no search for wisdom if everybody stuck to testable theories like logical positivists.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Belindi wrote:Lark_Truth, do you yourself consider it blasphemous to call upon the lord's name in vain? If so, why?
What is blasphemy? A brief internet search defines it as: "the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk"
As has been discussed on this sight, taking upon the Lord's name in vain is calling upon Him when you don't actually mean it. You are calling upon His divine power and assistance without any real authority, and from what I usually see today when people take the Lord's name in vain is to d___ something in a brief moment or in an exclamation of surprise or amazement as in "Oh my ___!" Some - myself included - would call that treading God's holy name like dirt. Common, filthy, lowly, etc.
God is a divine being of great power and authority. He created our world, He gave us life, He loves us, He wants us to be with Him in heaven, He is everything. As we owe him so much, we also owe God a good deal of respect and reverence that comes with Him being our Divine Heavenly Father. He gave the commandment to Moses in the Old Testament of the Holy Bible to not take the Lord's name in vain.
Going off of all that, I would say yes, I consider it blasphemous to call upon the Lord's name in vain.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth wrote:
What is blasphemy? A brief internet search defines it as: "the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk"
I note that you believe that taking the Lord's name in vain is blasphemy. So do I.

People who blaspheme for whatever reason, take the Lord's name in vain, must surely be unafraid of any punishment for so doing, don't you think?

I presume that you yourself don't blaspheme. Do you yourself refrain from blaspheming because

1. You don't want the other elders to disapprove of you? or

2. You love God and dont want to hurt God's feelings? or

3. You are afraid God will punish you? or

4. You love your church and its doctrine, and would feel unhappy if you infringed it?or

5. You feel yourself to be a respectable person and respectable people don't blaspheme?

These aren't trivial questions. Some of the questions reveal a more mature attitude to morality. I am not getting at you, Lark_Truth I am trying to fit what I think is a quite trivial thing, blasphemy, into a scheme that covers much more important moral questions.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Belindi wrote:People who blaspheme for whatever reason, take the Lord's name in vain, must surely be unafraid of any punishment for so doing, don't you think?
Yes I do think, Belindi. That is a very good point, as God does not appear to be a control-freak who punishes someone for stepping a just a little out of line. I would say that He allows people to make their own choices - such as saying His Holy name in vain - and if they do something wrong, He allows them to discover for themselves just what was wrong about their actions and feel sorry for it, then repent and change their behavior.
Belindi wrote:I presume that you yourself don't blaspheme. Do you yourself refrain from blaspheming because

4. You love your church and its doctrine, and would feel unhappy if you infringed it?or

5. You feel yourself to be a respectable person and respectable people don't blaspheme?.
I don't blaspheme, correct, and I do it because of answers: 2, 4, & 5, and maybe also because I feel that taking God's name in vain is wrong and that I want to stay in the right just because it feels good.

-- Updated April 5th, 2017, 9:35 am to add the following --

Let's keep up the teamwork!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth wrote:
Belindi wrote:People who blaspheme for whatever reason, take the Lord's name in vain, must surely be unafraid of any punishment for so doing, don't you think?
Yes I do think, Belindi. That is a very good point, as God does not appear to be a control-freak who punishes someone for stepping a just a little out of line. I would say that He allows people to make their own choices - such as saying His Holy name in vain - and if they do something wrong, He allows them to discover for themselves just what was wrong about their actions and feel sorry for it, then repent and change their behavior.
Belindi wrote:I presume that you yourself don't blaspheme. Do you yourself refrain from blaspheming because

5. You feel yourself to be a respectable person and respectable people don't blaspheme?.
I don't blaspheme, correct, and I do it because of answers: 2, 4, & 5, and maybe also because I feel that taking God's name in vain is wrong and that I want to stay in the right just because it feels good.

-- Updated April 5th, 2017, 9:35 am to add the following --

Let's keep up the teamwork!
I appreciate your encouragement.

I put 2. in the top position for mature morality, on condition that 'God' represents the aspiration of the disinterested individual. It's vital that selflessness is part of the approach to God.

I don't know if you realise it, Lark_Truth, but my questions are easily translateable into secular motives. There are secular substitutes for "elders", "God", "blasphemy",and "church".
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Belindi wrote:I don't know if you realise it, Lark_Truth, but my questions are easily translateable into secular motives. There are secular substitutes for "elders", "God", "blasphemy",and "church".

:? I am not sure what you mean Belindi. Can you please elaborate?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Question: Why do people take the Lord's name in vain?

Answer: some do because what people consider the Lord is an impossible, non-existent entity of a concept to them. The Lord simply does not exist in their world, and they firmly believe that. In fact, even the wording of the topic title sounds childish and condescending to them.

These people, the atheists, consider blaspheming a lost crime. Believed out of existence. No more a credible offence. Saying (in full) Jesus F. Christ is the same as saying (in full) go f yourself. It is impolite, rude, and obnoxious, but nothing to do with God or the Lord, as God the Lord is a concept ill thought up, it is non-existent, null and void.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I've never previously heard anyone claim that Jesus's middle initial is 'F'. I've only ever heard people say "Jesus H Christ". I always assumed the 'H' stands for Harold and that he was named after his father. ("Our father who art in heaven. Harold be thy name...").
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth, you asked me to explain a little further. Here are my question agains:

5. You feel yourself to be a respectable person and respectable people don't blaspheme?

The secular version:

1. You don't want the people who matter most to you to disapprove of you? or

2. You love the good and don't want to hurt what you love? or

3. You are afraid that if you act contrary to tradition you will come to harm? or

4. You love the moral system you are accustomed to , and would be unhappy if you infringed it? or

5. You feel yourself to be a respectable person, and respectable people don't blaspheme.

The most mature motive is 2.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

1, 2, 4, & 5, #2 especially. I agree with you that it is the most mature out of all of them, though #4 I think is a close second. Hurting that which I love has always really been heartbreaking. For instance, I am a fantasy writer (unpublished as of yet), and sometimes I am faced with the option of killing off a character, major or minor, and it's sad. :(
I don't see #3, respecting the Lord's name, as a tradition and I would think that it would be foolish to think of it as such. Traditions should be fun and help people to come together as friends and family, not to squeeze people between a rock and a hard place if they break it.

Why do you not take the Lord's name in vain, Belindi?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth wrote:
Why do you not take the Lord's name in vain, Belindi?
I occasionally do and I don't like to hear myself do it because it's a sign that I am reacting to a silly trend. As I said previously blasphemy is a comparatively trivial fault.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream