Why are people so against the Mormons?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Why are people so against the Mormons?

Post by Lark_Truth »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is one of the religions where non-members and others seem to have a lot of wrong ideas about. Nicknamed "Mormons" because of the book of scripture, the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, a complement to the Holy Bible, the Church has undergone a lot of persecution from physical attacks to people spreading false rumors. Physical attacks have not happened so much ever since the early eighteen hundreds during the Church's early years, but many people still seem to think that Mormon men have lots of wives and that they all wear magic underwear.

Mormon polygamy was stopped in 1889, and even then those who practiced it during that time were not a majority among the membership of the Church, and those plural marriages were not harems. I might also mention that those who had the American Congress force the bill to make polygamy illegal were doing things with lots of women they weren't even married to. Magic underwear is another false rumor, and the detail behind it can be found on either Mormon.org or LDS.org.

Besides the two main false rumors, there are dozens of more that are still false and others that have had their truths twisted to look evil. Wherever there are large bodies of Mormons gathered, there are protesters (I guess you could call them that) having anti-mormon rallies, passing out anti-mormon literature, trying to denounce the Church.

Why are people so against the Mormons? Sure, they're against homosexual marriage, most cases of abortion, and other stuff that you can also find on Mormon.org which the church has taken a very strong stance against, but they don't pay any of their General Authorities, Stake Presidents and Leaders, Missionaries, Bishops, or preachers (they don't have preachers! congregation members give the sermons). The only ones who earn their living by the Church are those who have full time jobs to run it, accountants for instance to keep track of where all of the funds are going. All of the tithing that Mormons pay into their church goes into running the church, paying for their church houses and temples, charity, humanitarian aid, etc.

All of what I have described is just the tip of the iceberg. The Mormons are wonderful people and don't deserve such treatment from their fellow men.

So why are people so against the Mormons?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
LuckyR

Re: Why are people so against the Mormons?

Post by LuckyR »

Lark_Truth wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is one of the religions where non-members and others seem to have a lot of wrong ideas about. Nicknamed "Mormons" because of the book of scripture, the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, a complement to the Holy Bible, the Church has undergone a lot of persecution from physical attacks to people spreading false rumors. Physical attacks have not happened so much ever since the early eighteen hundreds during the Church's early years, but many people still seem to think that Mormon men have lots of wives and that they all wear magic underwear.

Mormon polygamy was stopped in 1889, and even then those who practiced it during that time were not a majority among the membership of the Church, and those plural marriages were not harems. I might also mention that those who had the American Congress force the bill to make polygamy illegal were doing things with lots of women they weren't even married to. Magic underwear is another false rumor, and the detail behind it can be found on either Mormon.org or LDS.org.

Besides the two main false rumors, there are dozens of more that are still false and others that have had their truths twisted to look evil. Wherever there are large bodies of Mormons gathered, there are protesters (I guess you could call them that) having anti-mormon rallies, passing out anti-mormon literature, trying to denounce the Church.

Why are people so against the Mormons? Sure, they're against homosexual marriage, most cases of abortion, and other stuff that you can also find on Mormon.org which the church has taken a very strong stance against, but they don't pay any of their General Authorities, Stake Presidents and Leaders, Missionaries, Bishops, or preachers (they don't have preachers! congregation members give the sermons). The only ones who earn their living by the Church are those who have full time jobs to run it, accountants for instance to keep track of where all of the funds are going. All of the tithing that Mormons pay into their church goes into running the church, paying for their church houses and temples, charity, humanitarian aid, etc.

All of what I have described is just the tip of the iceberg. The Mormons are wonderful people and don't deserve such treatment from their fellow men.

There are as many reasons why various folks dislike, don't trust and/or try to stop the Mormon church. Before I get into that though, for me personally, what separates the Mormon church from a lot of other religions is the tithing. Giving (or taking depending on your perspective) 10% of PRETAX income is in the Madoff zone. In another context it would be considered criminal and getting tax-exempt status on top of that just shows the power of the church over government. Somewhere between sad and scary.

OK, as what bothers typical citizens is NOT the above rather it is a combination of:
1- Competition with standard Christianity, as many consider the "Latter Day" aspect to be blasphemy or a twisting of that faith.
2- Splinter groups of the Mormon church who use polygamy as a cover for pedophilia
3- Forced missions, as some find proselytizing to be off-putting
4- Historically the Mormon church has discriminated against blacks until 1979.
5- Many consider the "magical" nature of the church history to be comical or fake and thus believers to be duped or rubes.

I am certain I am missing many other objections that citizens have against the Mormon church.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I find the premise of Mormonism to be ludicrously funny and it amazes me that anyone would believe it. It appears that Joseph Smith wanted America to have its own religion, just as Webster wanted the US to have its own lexicon, just as the US decided to stick with imperial measurements for nationalist reasons (with the loss of a Mars orbiter as a result).
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Lark_Truth wrote:The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is one of the religions where non-members and others seem to have a lot of wrong ideas about. Nicknamed "Mormons" because of the book of scripture, the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, a complement to the Holy Bible, the Church has undergone a lot of persecution from physical attacks to people spreading false rumors. Physical attacks have not happened so much ever since the early eighteen hundreds during the Church's early years, but many people still seem to think that Mormon men have lots of wives and that they all wear magic underwear.

They're bigots. What a person believes is between them and their God.

-- Updated January 29th, 2017, 12:22 pm to add the following --

Note: Spiral Out didn't like me simply saying "They're bigots" even though it is demonstrably true and on subject.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

DM, I didn't like your post either and would have deleted it myself if Spiral hadn't done it first. "They are bigots" is just an accusation. You can accuse anyone of anything so the post comes under the heading of "meaningless posts". Removing the post is a way of asking you to explain yourself, and I don't think you have succeeded in backing your claim here either.

How does "What a person believes is between them and their God" especially apply to Mormons? It's hardly uncommon for theists to reject those who subscribe to different faiths, hence words like "heretic" and "infidel". So what makes Mormons especially bigoted? I'm obviously not an adherent, but I find unfounded criticisms like those you made about Mormons as jarring as if you made claims about me or other "agnostics".

Maybe there is a real issue, but you have to do better than making accusations. That's fine for Facebook and Twitter but Scott's hoping to raise the bar here just a little, nothing fancy or impressive, just somewhat of a refuge for those who are more interested in comparing ideas than grumpy cut and thrust. The latter is readily available elsewhere.

So, can/will you explain the issues you perceive with Mormonism without prejudice?
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

I was raised Mormon; I've been on the receiving end. It is because of that experience I would have said the same thing with respect to any other religion.

Many people claim to be tolerant and open-minded, but are hateful and intolerant when the rubber meets the road. (Did you hear some of the in the recent anti-Trump demonstrations? Same thing, different venue.)

-- Updated January 29th, 2017, 11:09 pm to add the following --

I was referring to the critics of Mormons, not Mormons.

-- Updated January 29th, 2017, 11:12 pm to add the following --

IMV, I'm owed an apology. Was it prejudice that caused you and Spiral Out to jump to a false conclusion?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

No, "they are bigots" is an unacceptable comment regardless.

Is there going to be apology from you for giving unpaid moderators extra work because you so often disregard forum rules? I thought not.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
LuckyR wrote:There are as many reasons why various folks dislike, don't trust and/or try to stop the Mormon church. Before I get into that though, for me personally, what separates the Mormon church from a lot of other religions is the tithing. Giving (or taking depending on your perspective) 10% of PRETAX income is in the Madoff zone. In another context it would be considered criminal and getting tax-exempt status on top of that just shows the power of the church over government. Somewhere between sad and scary.

OK, as what bothers typical citizens is NOT the above rather it is a combination of:
1- Competition with standard Christianity, as many consider the "Latter Day" aspect to be blasphemy or a twisting of that faith.
2- Splinter groups of the Mormon church who use polygamy as a cover for pedophilia
5- Many consider the "magical" nature of the church history to be comical or fake and thus believers to be duped or rubes.
LuckyR, you gave some great reasons as to why there are people against the LDS Church. I might add that some other Christian denominations dislike the church because their missionaries steal their members. Can't say I blame them there. But I must ask in the third reason you gave on your list, are you saying that the LDS Church force their young men and women to go on missions?
Yes, for some reason there was racial discrimination in the Church. Why? I don't know. I know of an essay that covers the topic on LDS.org. It doesn't quite give an explanation as to why this happened, but it gives the history as to why the Priesthood was withheld from those of African decent and a lot of theories as to why it may have happened.
And you are right about the splinter groups. The doctrine of plural marriage among the early Mormon Church was not meant as an excuse for harems. There are splinter groups who still try to get around the law about polygamy today, and many of them are called Mormons, but are not to be confused with the LDS Church. Some are called the Revised LDS Church (RLDS) and have a lot of different beliefs (such as polygamy) than the original Mormon Church.

Greta, if you want to know just why over 15 million people (I think, that number was announced years ago) believe in Mormonism, then I advise you check out Mormon.org and see for yourself.

And yes, let's try to delve into these issues without prejudice.

Please post more! :D
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
ExodusMe
New Trial Member

Post by ExodusMe »

I think most Christian's do not like Mormonism because it is a heresy. For instance, Protestantism is essentially ruled by Sola Scriptura which is a theological doctrine that came out of the protestant reformation. Sola Scriptura states that the Christian scriptures are the sole infallible rule of faith and practice. This alone is enough justification for the average Christian to label Mormonism as a heresy and it's preachers as false teachers.

Also, I think the internet/information age has become a serious burden to modern religions. There are so many scholars and exegetes that literally every error is uncovered in any type of historical text. Mormonism has been destroyed because of this. Anyone with an internet connection can look up Mormonism origins and see that it was founded by a 19 year old man who went into a cave and 'received' gold plated scripture that magically 'disappeared' that gave him the authority to marry multiple women (many of whom were already married). There are also numerous issues with the Mormon text including its reference to populations and land masses that never existed. The Mormon text also has anachronisms that place horses and types of vegetation on North America in the ancient world that did not come about until Spain brought them over. All of this coupled with the fact that Mormonism claims to usurp Christianity because the apostles didn't lay their hands on their followers appropriately to spread the Holy Spirit.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Lark_Truth:
In what way does this question differ from the question of why are people so against any X? Is it a question about religion? If so, then how does it differ from the question of why are people so against the Jews? Why are people so against the Catholics? Why are people so against the Muslims? Or is it a matter of group identity? Why are people so against the Blacks? Why are people so against the French? Why are people so against the LGBT? Why are people so against the Republicans? Why are people so against the liberals?
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

I was raised a Christian but left it behind at age 16. I'm against all of the Abrahamic religions for their unapologetically self-righteous exclusionary attitude, as well as a host of other reasons not worth getting into. So my dislike of the LDS Church is mostly due to that. The LDS Church is worse, however. My wife was a LDS member for almost 30 years -- she left the Church shortly after I met her and put up with a ton of sh** from them for almost 10 years after due to their "pestering" to get her back into the fold. One of the main reasons I married her was for how much I admired her reason for leaving the LDS Church: she had simply outgrown it. It supported her psychologically in her youth when she had big troubles in her family. And when it became pointless and useless to her she cut it loose, even though it lost her her best friend from childhood who told my wife to her face she had gone over to Satan. Some friend, huh?

Anyway, I've learned a lot from my wife and her participation in ex-Mormon websites. The religion is so blatantly and obviously an invention of Joseph Smith and his need to rationalize his pedophilia that it makes me sick to even consider the gullibility of its followers. Actually, I was going to say more but I'm making myself angry so I'm gonna quit here.
-0+

Post by -0+ »

Fooloso4 wrote:
Lark_Truth wrote:So why are people so against the Mormons?
In what way does this question differ from the question of why are people so against any X? Is it a question about religion? If so, then how does it differ from the question of why are people so against the Jews? Why are people so against the Catholics? Why are people so against the Muslims? Or is it a matter of group identity? Why are people so against the Blacks? Why are people so against the French? Why are people so against the LGBT? Why are people so against the Republicans? Why are people so against the liberals?
There may be a variety of reasons why people are against any X. In some cases it may be obvious why Y is against X. For example, X is at war with Y, so Y is against X.

In other cases the reasons may be more subtle or otherwise less obvious, begging the question why Y is against a specific X ("what has X done to Y that is so bad for Y to be so against X?").

Perhaps the variety of reasons all boil down to a common reason that applies to any given "Y is against X"?

In each case, there may be a belief that X is somehow harming or threatening to harm Y or that there is a high chance that X will harm Y. This harm could be physical, but may just be psychological or ideological. There may be a real or imaginary sense that X is against Y, so Y is against X.

This sense may not be direct. If Y identifies with or supports Z, and Y believes that X is against Z, then Y may also believe that X is against Y, leading Y to be against X, even if Z is just an idea.

In some cases, Y may feel that X is against Y even if X believes they are for Y. This can happen if X is religious and trying to convert Y. X may believe they are trying to help and improve Y, and Y may agree if X is successful, but if X is trying to change Y then it can be argued that X is actually against Y and only for a modified version of Y.

If X is for Z then X is implicitly against anything that is not Z, compared to Z. Being pro something will naturally attract opposing anti feelings.

If X is strongly for itself (if X has a strong sense of superiority, eg, master race, God's chosen people, only true church), and Y is not X, then X will implicitly be against Y (viewed as inferior relative to X), perhaps without realising this. Even if X is not explicitly against Y, X's sense of superiority may be reflected in X's behaviour towards Y. This may be viewed as an attack on Y's ego, leading Y to be against X.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

One is tempted to ask Y [sic], but certainly claims of superiority, especially unwarranted claims, will attract opposition, especially when it includes disparagement of "the competition". Some renegade sportspeople are can be similarly disliked for sledging and failing to show normal sportsmanship and respect to opponents.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Lark_Truth wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
LuckyR wrote:There are as many reasons why various folks dislike, don't trust and/or try to stop the Mormon church. Before I get into that though, for me personally, what separates the Mormon church from a lot of other religions is the tithing. Giving (or taking depending on your perspective) 10% of PRETAX income is in the Madoff zone. In another context it would be considered criminal and getting tax-exempt status on top of that just shows the power of the church over government. Somewhere between sad and scary.

LuckyR, you gave some great reasons as to why there are people against the LDS Church. I might add that some other Christian denominations dislike the church because their missionaries steal their members. Can't say I blame them there. But I must ask in the third reason you gave on your list, are you saying that the LDS Church force their young men and women to go on missions?
Yes, for some reason there was racial discrimination in the Church. Why? I don't know. I know of an essay that covers the topic on LDS.org. It doesn't quite give an explanation as to why this happened, but it gives the history as to why the Priesthood was withheld from those of African decent and a lot of theories as to why it may have happened.
And you are right about the splinter groups. The doctrine of plural marriage among the early Mormon Church was not meant as an excuse for harems. There are splinter groups who still try to get around the law about polygamy today, and many of them are called Mormons, but are not to be confused with the LDS Church. Some are called the Revised LDS Church (RLDS) and have a lot of different beliefs (such as polygamy) than the original Mormon Church.

Greta, if you want to know just why over 15 million people (I think, that number was announced years ago) believe in Mormonism, then I advise you check out Mormon.org and see for yourself.

And yes, let's try to delve into these issues without prejudice.

Please post more! :D
I am using forced to mean peer pressured "forced", not gun to your head "forced".

It is not a mystery why minorities in general and blacks specifically were discriminated against. The religion was invented by 19th century white people. That wasn't "discrimination", that was "normal".
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

So I guess there are a number of issues.
1. As people have already pointed out they personally find the religious claims made to be unbelievable. This is a common complaint of everyone who isn't in whatever religion is being discussed. Personally I find the religious claims of LDS to be identical to Christianity or any religion. So it's in no way unique or particularly objectionable. Secularism basically deals with the problem, from both sides, and hopefully allows us all to live together in relative harmony.
2. To my mind the real problems with LDS, or any religion, are not so much the beliefs but the behaviours. When religion turns into a cult you have a real and genuine problem. Now I only know LDS through what I have read online and through some podcasts who have interviewed people who have left LDS. Those people certainly described cults. Now you can maybe say ok there are some LDS cults, in the same way there are some Christian cults, but you could argue it's the minority and not the majority. Personally I don't have any facts and figures to hand tp be sure one way or the other.

Lark Truth I assume you are in the LDS church? Can I ask you a question? If you today decided that you no longer believed in the teachings of the church and you wanted to leave. How would your friends/family and fellow church members react?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream