To the Christians in here... Exactly WHY did you choose it?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: To the Christians in here... Exactly WHY did you choose

Post by Grotto19 »

Dolphin42 wrote:It was indeed interesting enough and I read it all. May I ask: why did you choose to share such an intense personal story on this particular website?

Initial motive: because someone asked a question I knew the answer to. Whenever someone does this if I have the time I answer.

But why the depth of story. At the start of my reply that was not intended. But I am among other things a writer, and in a habit of going where the pen takes me. My writing begins with structure, but nearly always becomes something entirely different than I intended. Usually I am satisfied with my creation. But occasionally I yield something I can only describe as a giant turd. Which is frustrating as that turd took 20 minutes to create and will not be posted.

Regarding privacy or personal secrets. I only withhold anything for security reasons. If it is relevant to discussion I will tell someone any detail of my life that does not pose a security risk to myself or expose another person’s secrets. Because I value truth so highly being candid is in my opinion a high virtue. I don’t demand it of others but value it highly when I see it.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

One of the advantages of telling your story on a site like this is that it is anonymous and it doesn't really matter if it isn't perfectly composed elegant prose. You can just get it out there.

Do you find revealing that kind of information cathartic? One of the common characteristics of trauma is, I've gathered, people's need to talk about it - to externalise it; to eject it from the mind and place it in front of other people. I guess, in a way, the anonymity is a bit like talking to a psychiatrist. One of the most helpful things about that is the lack of any personal relationship with the psychiatrist, so you can be completely open and honest without worrying about its effect on the person you're talking to, or what they think about you.
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by Grotto19 »

Dolphin42 wrote:One of the advantages of telling your story on a site like this is that it is anonymous and it doesn't really matter if it isn't perfectly composed elegant prose. You can just get it out there.

Do you find revealing that kind of information cathartic? One of the common characteristics of trauma is, I've gathered, people's need to talk about it - to externalise it; to eject it from the mind and place it in front of other people. I guess, in a way, the anonymity is a bit like talking to a psychiatrist. One of the most helpful things about that is the lack of any personal relationship with the psychiatrist, so you can be completely open and honest without worrying about its effect on the person you're talking to, or what they think about you.
Your insight is likely often the case. But I am I suppose an odd bird. Anonymity is not an issue for me. My name is Frank Delgrosso I live in Niagara Falls N. Y. On youtube that name can be looked up and you can see a real pic of me as my icon. On Facebook under that name most of my content is public. The only content I conceal is that which involves others which may not wish to have it revealed. There is nothing in my life I keep private accept to protect others privacy. If it only regards me I will spill it without reservation even if “it” frames me poorly.

However as for the explicit nature of the story. That is born from the fact that those events are never out of my mind. They are always present like I would imagine a parent always has their child present in their mind. It colors every thought or discussion. In this case the question of why I chose Christianity it was completely relevant so I uttered it willingly and without reservation. The narrative was the reason and first cause leading to the result. There are some memories which we index as needed and others which are always at the top of the rolodex of our minds. My memories of those events are as clear now as they were the day after they occurred. They never left my mind, they hold I suspect permanent residence there. I would advise sensitive people to never join a military, because the sensitive mind holds those things for a very very long time.

As for catharsis. Psychology claims that doesn’t work. I used to believe they were wrong. But this is not the first time I have disclosed those memories, not even the fifth. Each time I cry, and rage, and despair all over again. Each time I think it probably helps to get it out. And each time it doesn’t. It feels like it is helping, but a day or two later nothing changed. So maybe my instructors were right in claiming catharsis is rubbish, which is the current stance in psychology. A phenomena that feels like it is doing something but ultimately doesn’t yield results. If anything I tell my story in this case hoping someone may look at the bible (or another faith) again if they too feel like humans are terrible and are in despair, and also as a warning that war really is hell and not to be eager to send young men to engage in it. I wanted to make it detailed enough to convey I am not coming from a place of teenaged angst or movie goer SJW rubbish. I make no claim that my experiances make me an expert in anything, but they are experiances most people are not at all privy to, and I think that has value.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Hi, if you haven't heard already, I'm a Mormon, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I don't plan on skipping out on my religion. It is to the death and beyond.

I was born and raised into my religion. For my whole life I have been a member and I love how it all makes sense. When I was younger, I was dedicated to Mormonism because it was logical, there didn't seem to be anything that challenged the idea that religion made sense. It certainly made me see a definite purpose to life.
As I grew older and progressed in my religious knowledge, further dedicating myself to my religion and finding my purpose in life. Many times, I have felt what I can only describe to be a warm, burning sensation inside of me that I know to be confirmation by the Holy Ghost (what most other churches refer to as the Holy Spirit) and I now have a firm testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that He lives, that He is my Redeemer who suffered in Gethsemane and died on the cross in Atonement for my sins and pain. I know that God is my Heavenly Father, and that He sent His only begotten son to earth for me and everyone who has lived, who does now live, and who will live in mortality.
And there you have it.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream