Atheist opinion polls in America

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: Atheist opinion polls in America

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta wrote: Since the nature of reality is ostensibly the point of issue between theism and secularism, and since knowledge the nature of reality is out of reach, I was suggesting that it's a tad pointless to argue about what is real unless the theist (or whomever) denies obvious science and reason due to adherence to rigid dogma.
Good point. The dichotomy between the observer and the observed, if realized, presupposes and implies a unifying principle that transcends and yet includes both. It is a mystery secularism largely ignores in its encounter with the world and religion takes to heart, usually in the form of fear and superstition.

The strangeness of the situation leaves me bewildered. All of life proceeds on the assumption that the unifying principle is real, but seeking communion with it in silence is the exception rather than the norm.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Which religions imply a unifying principle that transcends and includes both the observer and the observed? I mean explicitly, written down in a way that that is what could be understood from the writing if you weren't looking for it?
also I don't assume your unifying principle is real and I am alive (as far as I am aware).
Unknown means unknown.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Judaka
For people who speak of "truth" as being important, whether it be to interpret their God's will correctly or knowing the objective truth or debating the reality surrounding objective moral order; the "useful truth" being the perspective that provides desired empirical benefits over anything else then what changes practically when we switch that to subjective understanding instead of truth?
I'd say a useful truth is more likely to stand the test of time, isn't it?
Values give shape to our desires, preferences, self-image and they give us dignity, achievement, kinship, status and so on; this is one reason why I think rational beings cannot exist without values, certainly rational thought cannot exist without some order to values that allows us to answer questions like the prison example I gave. Values are necessarily relative in what they give us, not only that some values must be superior to others but that behaviours, characteristics and so on are also superior to others.

Can you clarify by what you mean as superior here? What makes some values superior to others? Those that ''lead to happier and more productive people''? If so, I'd say my term ''quality of life'' means much the same thing.

There's an obvious issue around such Subject-based goals being hard to quantify, to prioritise, as my quality of life might lead me to pursue different priorities to yours, even be incompatible with yours. That doesn't mean we give up trying, I think we need some way of sorting this out at group/society level, and globally, as best we can. While giving people as much freedom as possible to pursue their own happiness. It's a tricky balance, and a lot of politics is about balancing the 'common good' and individual freedom. (Haidt has done some interesting research on this).
Nothing should transcend personal interest; groups, values, politics for which empirical benefit is transcended by something else - that's where the danger starts. Compromises will have to be made as laws/regulations/rules will affect many individuals and I define empirical benefit as including emotional and psychological benefit so when it comes to deciding between e.g closure for victims vs rehabilitation, I think that all we can do is try to address situations so that all parties can have as close to what it is they desire while also trying to solve those problems independently.
This seems like a contradiction? Won't individual interests inevitably have to be compromised? How do you reconcile this, in such an inter-dependent society?

I personally think we need some grounding ideas of Right and Wrong to cohere around as a basis for group living, and history suggests we'll always come up with something. My view is that we choose that something carefully, based on an understanding of how we work, and the sort of society we'd like to live in.
I am curious as to whether you would describe yourself as a nihilist or not as you seem to pretty much fit all of my criteria for being one.

Not really sure. I think there is meaning and value, but it stems from us as conscious Subjects.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Dark Matter:
Good point. The dichotomy between the observer and the observed, if realized, presupposes and implies a unifying principle that transcends and yet includes both.
Your presupposition is nothing more than your presupposition. It is without logical or empirical support. It may serve you as a principle but so can any presupposition. It has as much bearing on the nature of reality as the presupposition of object impermanence.

One might think that at least in the case of objects the presupposition can be resolved by evidence, but the following example from Wittgenstein’s lectures on religious belief illustrates the problem of an appeal to evidence.
Suppose I went to somewhere like Lourdes in France. Suppose I went with a very credulous person. There we see blood coming out of something. He says: “There you are, Wittgenstein, how can you doubt?” I‟d say: “Can it only be explained one way? Can‟t it be this or that?” I‟d try to convince him that he‟d seen nothing of any consequence. I wonder whether I would do that under all circumstances. I certainly know that I would under normal circumstances.
I could imagine that someone showed an extremely passionate belief in such a phenomenon, and I couldn‟t approach his belief at all by saying: “This could just as well have been brought about by so and so” because he could think this blasphemy on my side. Or he might say: “It is possible that these priests cheat, but nevertheless in a different sense a miraculous phenomenon takes place there.”
I have a statue which bleeds on such and such a day in the year. I have red ink, etc. “You are a cheat, but nevertheless the Deity uses you. Red ink in a sense, but not red ink in a sense.”
“Oughtn‟t one after all to consider this?” I‟d say: “Come on. Come on.” I would treat the phenomenon in this case just as I would treat an experiment in a laboratory which I thought badly executed.
“The balance moves when I will it to move.” I point out it is not covered up, a draught can move it, etc.
I could imagine that someone showed an extremely passionate belief in such a phenomenon, and I couldn‟t approach his belief at all by saying: “This could just as well have been brought about by so and so” because he could think this blasphemy on my side. Or he might say: “It is possible that these priests cheat, but nevertheless in a different sense a miraculous phenomenon takes place there.”
I have a statue which bleeds on such and such a day in the year. I have red ink, etc. “You are a cheat, but nevertheless the Deity uses you. Red ink in a sense, but not red ink in a sense.”
When one wants or needs to believe something strongly enough then their own convoluted and tortured logic will not be seen for what it is.
All of life proceeds on the assumption that the unifying principle is real …
All of life does not proceed on your questionable assumption that your questionable presupposition of such a unifying principle is real. It is, as Greta said: “adherence to rigid dogma”. I agree with you, it is a good point. Unfortunately, it is one that you ignore.

This relates to Krauss’s point about the difference between scientific and religious faith. Science requires a hypothesis to conform to the evidence, religious forces the evidence to conform to what is believed or ignores the need for evidence in favor a transcendence.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I'm sure that logically I have beliefs which are out of proportion to the evidence that I have. The closest thing I can think of is that maybe it's immoral to eat meat. I'm not convinced it is immoral or that it is moral, but I do eat meat. So you could say I was committing a moral act which I was agnostic about, which is maybe not moral? Maybe I should err on the side of caution.
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Eduk wrote:Which religions imply a unifying principle that transcends and includes both the observer and the observed?
Just about all of them: Taoism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Which bible passage supports what you are saying?
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Fanman, if you ever wanted proof, or at least a strong indication that atheism tends to be shallow and superficial, this is it:
Fooloso4 wrote:Dark Matter:
Good point. The dichotomy between the observer and the observed, if realized, presupposes and implies a unifying principle that transcends and yet includes both.
Your presupposition is nothing more than your presupposition....
Really? You're using words, aren't you?
All of life proceeds on the assumption that the unifying principle is real …
All of life does not proceed on your questionable assumption.... /quote]
Science proceeds on the assumption that the universe is comprehensible, doesn't it? Or is it grounded in a bunch of lucky guesses?

-- Updated June 5th, 2017, 4:55 pm to add the following --
Eduk wrote:Which bible passage supports what you are saying?
Acts 17:28, among others.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
This?
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Eduk wrote:
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
This?
Yes.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

DM:
Fanman, if you ever wanted proof, or at least a strong indication that atheism tends to be shallow and superficial, this is it:
Enough with the snide remarks. You have been warned several times about ad hominem attacks. Even if I am wrong, I do not speak for all atheists. Saying that some group of people is shallow and superficial because they do not agree with you in not a philosophical argument and does not give your claims credibility. There seems to be an inverse relationship between the tenuousness of your claims and your reliance on personal attacks.
Really? You're using words, aren't you?
Language does not mean that there is a unifying principle that transcends and unifies observer and observed. In fact, there are spiritual practices that are intended to get past the mediation of language. This is fundamental to Taoism, Zen, and even some Christian practices. It is what the quieting of the mind is all about.
The Way is forever nameless.
Unhewn wood is insignificant, yet no one in the world can master it.
If barons and kings could preserve it, the myriad creatures would all defer to them of their own accord;
Heaven and earth would unite and sweet dew would fall;
And the people would be peaceful and just, though no one so decrees.
When unhewn wood is carved up, then there are names. Now that there are names, know enough to stop! (Daodejing)
Man Up a Tree

"It is like a man up in a tree hanging from a branch with his mouth; his hands grasp no bough, his feet rest on no limb. Someone appears under the tree and asks him, 'What is the meaning of Bodhidharma's coming from the West?' If he does not answer, he fails to respond to the question. If he does answer, he will lose his life. What would you do in such a situation?" (Ch'an Koan)
Christianity … do you know of no examples?
Science proceeds on the assumption that the universe is comprehensible, doesn't it?
Science does not proceed on the assumption that there is a unifying principle that transcends and yet includes both the scientist and the subject matter under investigation. Many scientists acknowledge that the universe may not be any more comprehensible to the human mind than Newtonian physics is to my dog.

Since my dog must be included in “all of life” I just asked her whether she proceeds on the assumption that the unifying principle is real. She would neither confirm nor deny it. The only thing she observes that she has any interest in being unified with is food, but what she normally eats seems to have no interest in any principle that unifies it with her, and in the case of anything that is alive that may become food for her if she can catch it seems to display a marked resistance to unification.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

F4:

Not only do I share many of Wittgenstein's ideas, I also share his temperament. Wittgenstein was known to storm out his classroom when students failed to grasp what he was saying or asked questions about what, to him, was self-evident.

In the same spirit of disgust, I will take leave from you.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

It's rarely correct to assume that any member of a philosophy forum is shallow. You don't go to philosophy forums because you are content to lead an unexamined life. Yes, some members are clearly crazed, blinkered, depressed and/or obsessive polemicists, but they are not shallow and sometimes quite brilliant.

Whatever, NO ONE knows whether consciousness or matter came first. One's views in this will reflect their thinking style and/or personal leanings, that's all.

DM, I appreciate that you are serious and sincere but your final comment cracked me up - the grand exit with a sting - an appropriately poetic ending to a philosophical argument! You and my Mum would have gotten on like a house on fire :lol:
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Yeah, well, I thought it was appropriate since it was he who brought up Wittgenstein to suggest that a "ground" is not necessary for rational thought.

-- Updated June 5th, 2017, 8:16 pm to add the following --

Funny thing is, I have 9 translations of the Tao Te Ching on my computer, have read many more, and he's quoting it to me? The Tao is the ground he so vehemently denies.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Is the Tao the middle ground? I know very little about it but my impression is that it's an atheist philosophy rather than a theistic concept. Or is it perhaps more a matter of labels and "tribal" conceptual affiliations? Isn't acceptance of the Tao ultimately akin to deism?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream