So you're an atheist? Not so fast.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: So you're an atheist? Not so fast.

Post by Hereandnow »

Gertie:
Evolution explains this stuff, it makes sense that we are the way we are, that pain feels bad.
Gregor Samsa awakens one morning to find he has changed into an insect. His mind turns towards getting work, family and the practical details, but never once does he take in the astonishment of his condition, the impossibility. Such are our lives. Humans being here,living through joys and tragedies in our endless dramatic performances, worrying about getting to work on time and whether we are popular and so on; and ever so willing to think our theories can encompass what we are. What IS pain? Not how do we account for it in some theory of its genesis. It is a question of ontology.

To deal with this, we need to look to Kierkegaard and Levinas and many others. Science is never about what givens are,only about how we pragmatically cope with them. This does not stop us from acknowledging Being as presence, though.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

[quote]atheism explains nothing[\quote]
Well it depends how you look at things. On the one hand atheism is not a belief in God or gods. So of course it doesn't explain anything it's a refutation of an explanation.
There is no formal atheist leadership or book of atheist beliefs so i can't talk about atheist beliefs in a singular sense. I can talk about my beliefs. So in that sense you could accuse my atheism of explanation. I would just point at the scientific method and go from there personally. But that is obviously a very long conversation and probably not worth getting into.
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Hereandnow wrote:
Gregor Samsa awakens one morning to find he has changed into an insect. His mind turns towards getting work, family and the practical details, but never once does he take in the astonishment of his condition, the impossibility. Such are our lives. Humans being here,living through joys and tragedies in our endless dramatic performances, worrying about getting to work on time and whether we are popular and so on; and ever so willing to think our theories can encompass what we are. What IS pain? Not how do we account for it in some theory of its genesis. It is a question of ontology.

To deal with this, we need to look to Kierkegaard and Levinas and many others. Science is never about what givens are,only about how we pragmatically cope with them. This does not stop us from acknowledging Being as presence, though.
Actually, in this post you hit the bull right in the nail.

What you described is EXACTLY what happened to my uncle Pavel Spenser. He woke up one morning, and found he had turned into an insect, "lavorem lavorium nille", to be exact of the species. He went to an entimologist, because he wanted to be sure of his species after the transformation, and that was the exact species mentioned in the medical transcript.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

This may seem simplistic (or just be plain wrong), but I think that as human-beings are effectively biological machines, everything that we do can be reduced to our physical attributes. We feel hunger because our bodies need food, we feel pain because we're reacting to a stimuli that causes us pain. So to our morality can be linked to physical causes. Although it is not always clear what the physical triggers of morality are, we do know a few things about morality and how it operates through experience and our general understanding of human nature. We know for instance that morality is useful to social systems and that there are certain circumstances that bring about moral choices or actions. We also know that we have consciences that react to “moral-situations.” So there are some things related to morality that we are aware of that are empirical, therefore I think that science can investigate the different aspects of morality. I think that morality is linked to our development as a species – and as we have evolved so to has the nature and shape of our morality.

Morality is an issue that religions attempt to deal with, the general idea of religions is that being moral is somehow enriches the “soul” or “spirit” and leads to some kind of blissful afterlife. Whilst I think that morality can enrich the character and is essential to our progression as a species, I don't think that the terms “soul” or “spirit” are well defined enough to convey anything other than character, nature or personality, and the concept of an afterlife is problematic. Morality is seemingly an issue of Mind, but as we know Mind is intrinsically connected to Body, hence there are physical reactions to issues of morality – like the stomach churning when we observe something immoral or crying when we see something heart-breaking, such reactions I think demonstrate the link between Mind and Body.

Whereas we can colloquially speak of the “soul” or “spirit,” there's no formal recognition of either because they cannot be proven to exist. Hence morality is entangled with religious myths and supernatural cogitations. I think that religious forms of morality are generated by human ideals of moral perfection – specifically the ideal of a completely altruistic human race and the elimination of suffering. I think that such ideals have a place, because they give us something to aim towards, but the claim that they're provided by a deity of some kind is far reaching – especially when we know that they were written by people, people who may have been both educated and virtuous, but people. Religious ideals of moral perfection can be appealing and useful, but their connection to particular religious factions I think hinders their efficacy by causing division.

All that said, I'm currently agnostic and I think that if I had not experienced much of what I have I would now be an atheist. So I'm attempting to be intellectually honest. I don't think that my experiences imply that there's a God, but they may imply there's more to reality than is currently empirically observable, though I think the chance of this is very small. I think that atheism is a logical position given what we currently know about reality. Quite simply, the fact that there's no evidence for the existence of God means that there's nothing illogical about not believing that such a being exists. I find the existence of God to be problematic, one reason for example, is what created God? If we assume that God created itself, that would mean that at some point he/she/it did not exist (before it created itself), how or more aptly when did an eternal being create itself? What existed before it created itself and where did it come from? There are so many problems with positing the existence of God, if it existed, why is it's existence so problematic?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

"Actually, in this post you hit the bull right in the nail. "

Mixed metaphors won't help you. You haven't read kafka.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Hereandnow wrote:Gertie:
Evolution explains this stuff, it makes sense that we are the way we are, that pain feels bad.

What IS the taste of a tomato sandwich? And why does it mean morality is objective?

Sorry but you're all over the place, you don't lay out an argument and you don't respond to mine. Quoting one line, then mentioning Kafka, Kierkegaard, Levinas 'and many others' isn't a serious response, so I'm going to assume you don't have one.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

Trying to equate morality with biology is like trying to equate mathematics with biology. While it is true we started off our moral thinking based on our biology, biology most definitely does not account for all of our moral reasoning. This is like saying because we biologically have a number sense, that mathematics can be reduced to biology. Good luck with that. It makes no more sense to claim that biology accounts for moral reasoning than it does to state that all of physics, mathematics, or other subjects for which we have a slight biological sense can be subsumed under biology.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Could you make the argument that all moral behaviour increases survivability of genes?
Does this count as a biological argument?
I personally don't see a problem with equating biology with mathematics, but I'm sure it depends how you define biology. For example does mathematics increase survivability of genes, if so is that a biological argument?
Could mathematics exist without a physical reality? Is that a biological argument?
Please note that where I am putting a question mark I am asking an actual question, not a rhetorical question.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

-1-

etymologist ;)

The "i" "y" thingy BUGS me! XD
AKA badgerjelly
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

Biology cannot be equated to mathematics, or physics, the idea is insane. What does biology have to do with set theory? Nothing. What does biology have to do with non-Euclidean geometry? Nothing.

There is also much in modern morality that is inconsistent with the so-called selfish gene. Basically, the history of morality is that it is becoming more and more inclusive, which is inconsistent with biology, which causes people to develop out groups, and a social division into "us versus them." White people who, for example, are against discrimination against black people, are allowing blacks to compete with them, which would hurt their chances for survival on some level. Yet, racism is on the ropes in most moral conceptual frameworks today. If we had a situation where white people could use blacks as slaves, then that might may white people more successful in passing on their genes, but few would consider that to be morally right.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Fan of Science wrote:Trying to equate morality with biology is like trying to equate mathematics with biology. While it is true we started off our moral thinking based on our biology, biology most definitely does not account for all of our moral reasoning. This is like saying because we biologically have a number sense, that mathematics can be reduced to biology. Good luck with that. It makes no more sense to claim that biology accounts for moral reasoning than it does to state that all of physics, mathematics, or other subjects for which we have a slight biological sense can be subsumed under biology.
The point here is that once we have an explanation for the evolved origins of the way we are, we don't need to invoke God or something other than ourselves to understand how the human concept of morality came into being.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

F of S:
Trying to equate morality with biology is like trying to equate mathematics with biology. While it is true we started off our moral thinking based on our biology, biology most definitely does not account for all of our moral reasoning.
It's obviously true that Biology, and the Chemistry and Physics that underlie it, as we currently understand them, don't describe our moral behaviours. But, in your view, is that simply because the causes of our moral behaviours are too complex? In your view, are moral behaviours theoretically describable by laws of physics? Or is there a fundamental difference which no amount of understanding could reconcile?

If the latter, is there any sense in which you are a Dualist? Do you think there is something in human minds which does not in any way arise from their physical configuration?
There is also much in modern morality that is inconsistent with the so-called selfish gene...
How can you be so sure? If the human genome as a whole is successful at reproducing itself (as it certainly seems to have been so far) then surely that is evidence that our complex web of behaviours are benefiting our genes in ways whose details we don't necessarily understand? That doesn't necessarily mean individual genes. Societies exist by mutual cooperation.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

The human genome does not reproduce itself so much as individual's have children. The idea that there is something about evolutionary biology that supports group selection is false. If this were true, then why does each individual zebra run like hell when a lion appears instead of the slower ones sacrificing themselves for the good of the group? From a biological standpoint, people are supposed to be selfish. This is inconsistent with a great deal of morality. Your claims about mutual cooperation do not explain why people in the USA donate to people in far off lands and give them food. How does that biologically enhance their ability to have offspring? It doesn't.

-- Updated July 31st, 2017, 2:27 pm to add the following --

You're not getting it. No sensible person would claim mathematics is reducible to biology, because the claim would be absurd. We may have had a very rudimentary number sense when it comes to being able to tell that a pile of three rocks is smaller than a pile of ten rocks, but that does not make mathematics reducible to biology. In the same sense that we are biologically hardwired to support our in group against an out-group, that hardly accounts for morality. If morality were reducible to biology, then how come there are such wide differences in moral opinions, when we all are the product of the same evolutionary process? How come morality has changed greatly even over the last 20 years, despite there being no evolutionary changes during that time? It's for the same reason mathematics has also advanced greatly without any changes in human evolution --- these are subjects independent of mere biology and are not reducible to biology.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

No, you're not getting it. I asked you some questions in the first paragraph of my post. Try reading those questions again.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

I did answer your questions, except for the ne that asked me if I am a dualist, and I'm not a dualist.

Morality is a subject analogous to math, physics, for which we have various intellectually derived theories that are not reducible to biology.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream