So you're an atheist? Not so fast.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: So you're an atheist? Not so fast.

Post by Spectrum »

Ranvier wrote:How is that for grounding the "purpose"... is that too vulgar in simplicity?
I believe it is too vulgar and too simplistic.

The "purpose" for all living things can be inferred from empirical evidence.
No living things emerged to be extinct and it is observed all living things strive to survive in general, other than the perverted who want to commit suicide.
Therefore we can infer the purpose of all living things is to survive and contribute to the continuation of the species.

Anything beyond the empirical, like having a soul that survives physical death and the purpose of humans are to obey God so they can go to heaven and avoid hell are pure speculations to soothe an inherent existential crisis driven by an active zombie parasite.

As for Laws of Nature established by Science, I am with Kant, i.e. these are created by humans.
[b]Kant[/b] wrote:Thus the Order and Regularity in the Appearances, which we entitle Nature, we ourselves introduce.

We could never find them in Appearances, had not we ourselves, or the Nature of our mind, originally set them there.

For this Unity of Nature has to be a Necessary one, that is, has to be an a priori certain Unity of the Connection of Appearances; and such Synthetic Unity could not be established a priori if there were not Subjective Grounds of such Unity contained a priori in the Original Cognitive Powers of our mind, and if these Subjective Conditions, inasmuch as they are the Grounds of the Possibility of knowing any Object whatsoever in Experience, were not at the same time Objectively Valid. -A125
The above argument is not easy to grasp until one has fully understood the principles within Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Since Kant is a credible philosopher, any one with alternative theory should at least prove Kant wrong before claiming theirs has any credibility.

Where Law of Nature [Physics, etc.] are taken to be independent of humans, it implies there is an external agency which establish them, i.e. a God which is illusory.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Does God need a "purpose" other than to act according to his nature? I'd say no. "Creatorship is hardly an attribute of God; it is rather the aggregate of his acting nature." Does the universe need a purpose other than to manifest that nature? Again, no.

"Aha," says the atheist, "Then what need have you for a personal God?" Answer: Interactions can be had between nonpersonal things, but not fellowship. The concept truth might possibly be entertained apart from personality, the concept of beauty may exist without personality, but the concept of divine goodness, or what Kant calls man's "moral imperative," is understandable only in relation to infinite personality.

-- Updated September 22nd, 2017, 4:38 am to add the following --
Spectrum wrote:
[b]Kant[/b] wrote:Thus the Order and Regularity in the Appearances, which we entitle Nature, we ourselves introduce.

We could never find them in Appearances, had not we ourselves, or the Nature of our mind, originally set them there.

For this Unity of Nature has to be a Necessary one, that is, has to be an a priori certain Unity of the Connection of Appearances; and such Synthetic Unity could not be established a priori if there were not Subjective Grounds of such Unity contained a priori in the Original Cognitive Powers of our mind, and if these Subjective Conditions, inasmuch as they are the Grounds of the Possibility of knowing any Object whatsoever in Experience, were not at the same time Objectively Valid. -A125
The above argument is not easy to grasp until one has fully understood the principles within Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Since Kant is a credible philosopher, any one with alternative theory should at least prove Kant wrong before claiming theirs has any credibility.
Heavens, why would I, a theist, even want to prove Kant wrong? The above quote is not different than what I've said.
Where Law of Nature [Physics, etc.] are taken to be independent of humans, it implies there is an external agency which establish them, i.e. a God which is illusory.
News flash: not many theists take the "Laws of Nature" to be independent of humans.

What bigot brigade do you belong to?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta:
You're reminding me of the Matrix :)
Ha! Yes, I think I can vaguely remember that. I can certainly remember his distinctive voice. Maybe the question of whether purpose exists in the universe outside of the brains of living things is slightly different when considering a simulated universe like the one in the Matrix.

But, Greta, as it happens I was just going to mention you. From our past conversations about the nature of life, it seems to me that your views are not a million miles away from the idea of the universe itself being, in some sense, alive. If that's true (tell me if it isn't) then it might illustrate that different people can come to not-dissimilar conclusions starting from different-seeming positions. Which is why labels can be so misleading.

At first glance I'd have you labelled as "atheist" and Ranvier as "theist". But Ranvier doesn't actually self-identify as theist and seems to have something close to pantheistic views. A lot of people maintain that pantheism, at least in some forms, sits close to the boundary between theism and atheism and that it's debatable whether it should be seem as a "-theism" at all. So my assumed labels for both of you would probably not do justice to either of your views.

For myself, I'd probably be labelled as "atheist" and "materialist" but wouldn't be entirely happy with those either, without a lot of discussion about the details. But I guess, whether I like it or not, I probably am those two things. Approximately.
Yet if Planet X destroyed the Earth tomorrow, as apparently predicted by some Christians, where would all that purpose we have accumulated go?
So this suggests that if your view does in any way regard the universe as a whole as a living thing, you're still not convinced by the principle of "conservation of purpose" as I've called it.

I'll work my way through other posts in this thread when I can.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Steve3007

You're too intelligent to be an atheist...but I agree with the "materialist" part, which is already much better, as it's based on some "reality". Although, materialism is too integrated with the human dimension in perception of the physical "reality". What is a "thought" in such context, is it "real"?
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Ranvier wrote:
Count Lucanor

Smiles, I'm not "soft" anything...lol
If I must be labeled, I'd say I'm open-minded agnostic because it's ignorance at best to claim with certainty that "there is no God". Although, in reality it's just irrational to think that one can state anything with an absolute certainty, like a fortune cookie...lol. You just make me giddy.
That's a common expression, but actually false. If you're not absolutely certain that all bachelors are unmarried men, or that there's no number so large that one cannot be added to it, then you might start worrying about being irrational. I won't say about all gods, but at least about one particular god, claimed to have infinite power, infinite knowledge, having consciousness and will, I can confidently assert that it does not exist, has not existed, nor ever will.
Ranvier wrote: We can't explain (not the same as describe) the laws of physics yet, for instance: where did the four fundamental forces come from and how do these forces work,
When we can make very accurate predictions out of those descriptions, then they are not just descriptions, but something with very effective explanatory power. That will suffice.

Ranvier wrote: yet you claim to "know" not only that there is no God but that you have an inkling of "brain power" to comprehend "what" God might be, even if you tripped over "God's foot". Hilarious.
Actually I have always kept an open mind to what people claim their gods might be. I listen to them carefully, I make questions, I look at their sacred texts, read their theologians, preachers and philosophers, and I give them every bit of opportunity to make sense or back up their claims. I'm yet to find something coherent, something that one could at least give the benefit of the doubt, and most of the time it shows up that they just happen to believe nonsense. George Carlin made a good joke out of this nonsense. I'll keep waiting for that comprehensive description of the gods.
Ranvier wrote: ...logically the human concept of God probably originated with the first "spark" of the human consciousness pondering his own existence.
So, if the concept of god appeared as an a posteriori representation in the mind of humans, in other words, if human existence predates the concept of god, then how is it that human existence cannot predate, according to your view, the concepts of purpose, laws, morals, etc.? What you're implying here puts another nail in the coffin of your lawgiver hypothesis, since the supposed receiver of the law appears BEFORE the supposed lawgiver itself.
Ranvier wrote: Therefore, it stands to reason that the "innate moral faculties" are deeply intertwined with human "religiosity" or "superstition".
But then all an atheist would need to succeed in not being "confused" is having any superstition, like amulets, magic or astrology. Is that what you envision as a life of purpose, logic and rationality?
Ranvier wrote:I see, so there is no purpose to the Solar system, the galaxy, or the universe for that matter but purpose suddenly is born because of human consciousness.
Well, actually it was you who said that concepts suddenly are born because of human consciousness. You admitted this just a few lines above, remember?:
Ranvier wrote:...logically the human concept of God probably originated with the first "spark" of the human consciousness

Ranvier wrote:Perhaps you are simply confused by the definition of the human concept of purpose?
By now it's obvious in which philosophical coordinates we can locate your ideas. You have reified the concept of purpose as a thing in itself, not a concrete one, but an abstract entity dwelling in the realm of Platonic ideas. So you talk about purpose being placed here or there, independent of consciousness and the subject, being only united contingently by the act of a lawgiver. But as we have also seen above, you also contradict yourself when implying that the concept of god appeared as an a posteriori representation in the mind of humans. It's all a big messy confusion from which I guess you're trying to pull out the miracle of a coherent argument.

-- Updated September 22nd, 2017, 10:27 pm to add the following --
Steve3007 wrote:OK, good. So I think it's clear (and has been for a long time) that the proposition being discussed by at least the above three posters is:

There is a law of "conservation of purpose". i.e. Purpose cannot be created or destroyed. If purpose exists now then it must have existed before now.

Ranvier, by the tone of that post, supports this proposal.
That's a good way to put it, which translates in nothing else but good old Idealism: purpose will be an abstract entity dwelling in the realm of Platonic ideas. It can be assigned or taken away from subjects and if someone claims it's intrinsic to human experience, Ranvier will find it absurd.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote:From our past conversations about the nature of life, it seems to me that your views are not a million miles away from the idea of the universe itself being, in some sense, alive. If that's true (tell me if it isn't) then it might illustrate that different people can come to not-dissimilar conclusions starting from different-seeming positions. Which is why labels can be so misleading.
"Living systems" is the word I'd use, since the word "life" technically only refers to biology. Many natural systems - from galaxies, stars and planets to viruses and molecules - do the same thing as life does. They have an emergent point that could be referred to as "birth". Then there is a lively and chaotic "juvenile"stage. Then the systems settle down, "maturing", and they become more complex and stable. Then there is gradual decline leading to system breakdown aka "death" - and the bits are re-used by other entities.
Steve3007 wrote:At first glance I'd have you labelled as "atheist" and Ranvier as "theist".
I'm agnostic. Mostly rational but I had a peak experience interesting enough to put me on the fence.

I'm more panvitalist than pantheist. From what I can gather the universe is a bit like the early Earth, mostly chaotic but with increasing zones of order as it cools and, at some point, emergences occur. I think the most likely outcome of what could be thought of as cosmic evolution or gestation (depending on whether one's perspective pans in or out) is that intelligence capable of space travel will become ever more common in the cosmos, and that life around neighbouring stellar systems will increasingly network and in time effectively form a nerve net equivalent in (at least) their region of the galaxy.

For the record, I'm not sure sure about the universe being all one thing, unless like an ecosystem. With galaxies moving apart it seems that they will increasingly become island universes in themselves unless some clever species (or its superpowered AI) learns to manipulate time and space. Maybe.
Steve3007 wrote:But Ranvier doesn't actually self-identify as theist and seems to have something close to pantheistic views. A lot of people maintain that pantheism, at least in some forms, sits close to the boundary between theism and atheism and that it's debatable whether it should be seem as a "-theism" at all. So my assumed labels for both of you would probably not do justice to either of your views.
Here we have memetic evolution, with the madly personified God meme increasingly becoming more naturalistic, almost Spinozan as serious mystical thinkers delve more deeply and question old assumptions. Meanwhile, with researchers increasingly probing the very large and the very small, science becomes ever more weird, often bordering on the mystical ... "We are made of star stuff!" says Neil dGT breathlessly as he walks out of the light :)

I suspect that studies into the nature of time could become quite similar to mysticism.
Steve3007 wrote:For myself, I'd probably be labelled as "atheist" and "materialist" but wouldn't be entirely happy with those either, without a lot of discussion about the details.
Yes, these labels are very broad.
Steve3007 wrote:
Yet if Planet X destroyed the Earth tomorrow, as apparently predicted by some Christians, where would all that purpose we have accumulated go?
So this suggests that if your view does in any way regard the universe as a whole as a living thing, you're still not convinced by the principle of "conservation of purpose" as I've called it.
Correct. Consider the "purpose" of a microbe. Stuff happens, and purpose (being a product of order) can be lost in chaotic events, although perhaps retrievable by a sufficiently advanced technology.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Steve3007 wrote:For myself, I'd probably be labelled as "atheist" and "materialist" but wouldn't be entirely happy with those either, without a lot of discussion about the details. But I guess, whether I like it or not, I probably am those two things. Approximately.
Re details, 'physicalism' is a later and preferable term than 'materialism'.
Wiki wrote:Materialism is closely related to physicalism, the view that all that exists is ultimately physical.
Philosophical physicalism has evolved from materialism with the discoveries of the physical sciences to incorporate more sophisticated notions of physicality than mere ordinary matter, such as: spacetime, physical energies and forces, dark matter, and so on. Thus the term "physicalism" is preferred over "materialism" by some, while others use the terms as if they are synonymous.

Some claim 'materialism' is synonmymous to 'physicalism', but technically there are critical differences.

-- Updated Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 am to add the following --
Dark Matter wrote:What bigot brigade do you belong to?
I can understand why you are so quick in striking others with your 'spiky-hammer'. This is because you are unfortunately driven by some internal subliminal force that compel you to do so as it sense a psychological threat.

When I was a panentheist [for many many years], I used to think non-theists were very stupid to deny the Absolute Being because that inference to my mind then was SO obvious.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Count Lucanor

1. I recommend numbering each thought so it's easier to reply without the use of long quotes or at least for the ease of reference to a specific point.

2. "If you're not absolutely certain that all bachelors are unmarried men, or that there's no number so large that one cannot be added to it, then you might start worrying about being irrational".

Such is the dance of word games: Not all bachelors, masters, MD's or PhD's are unmarried men. I could "play" with "that one" to add to the other "one" to make it an infinity of "one" but first figure out which "one" you mean in this word game.

3. "When we can make very accurate predictions out of those descriptions, then they are not just descriptions, but something with very effective explanatory power. That will suffice".

I'll make a very accurate prediction that tomorrow will be another day... Have you learned any insight and "explanation" about the Sun, tomorrow, or the future day for that matter?

4. I'll include a quote here so it's not out of context:
Actually I have always kept an open mind to what people claim their gods might be. I listen to them carefully, I make questions, I look at their sacred texts, read their theologians, preachers and philosophers, and I give them every bit of opportunity to make sense or back up their claims. I'm yet to find something coherent, something that one could at least give the benefit of the doubt, and most of the time it shows up that they just happen to believe nonsense. George Carlin made a good joke out of this nonsense. I'll keep waiting for that comprehensive description of the gods.
Curious, you can understand that an electron is not really a "ball" spinning around an "atom" but when it's in respect to ancient texts written by people privileged enough to even be capable to write for an audience that could barely understand concepts of good or evil, all of a sudden you'll take everything grotesquely literally to confuse yourself :)

5. I must quote this one because otherwise it may become even more gibberish:
So, if the concept of god appeared as an a posteriori representation in the mind of humans, in other words, if human existence predates the concept of god,??? then how is it that human existence cannot predate, according to your view, the concepts of purpose, laws, morals, etc.? What you're implying here puts another nail in the coffin of your lawgiver hypothesis, since the supposed receiver of the law appears BEFORE the supposed lawgiver itself.
a posteriori
[ˌä ˌpästērēˈôrē, ˌā ˌpästērēˈôrī]
ADJECTIVE
relating to or denoting reasoning or knowledge that proceeds from observations or experiences to the deduction of probable causes. Compare with a priori.

ADVERB
in a way based on reasoning from known facts or past events rather than by making assumptions or predictions.

Therefore, we have a reasoning from the observation of "known" (birth and death) facts... that you conclude to be:
"... if human existence predates the concept of god, then how is it that human existence cannot predate the concepts of purpose, laws, morals, etc.?"

The above sentence doesn't make sense, and here is why...
I think that you confuse "concepts" with "reality". Just because I have a "concept" of an electron, doesn't make it a "reality" or that, if it exists, that it wasn't there prior to the conception of the concept in my mind.

6. This leads us to more confusion of "concept of God" vs "actual God", as well as the "concept of purpose" vs "actual purpose".
This is why you wrote this:
"Well, actually it was you who said that concepts suddenly are born because of human consciousness. You admitted this just a few lines above, remember?"
In reference to this:
"I see, so there is no purpose to the Solar system, the galaxy, or the universe for that matter but purpose suddenly is born because of human consciousness".
Based on this:
"...logically the human concept of God probably originated with the first "spark" of the human consciousness".

The human "concept of God" has nothing to do with "actual God" nor does the human "concept of purpose" have anything to do with the "actual purpose". Do you see the distinction?

Otherwise you'll keep coming up with false conclusions reflected by subjective perception.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

DM:
From a finite point of view, the “infinite and eternal nature” is indefinite but not non-existent: the existential reality will always fall short of the ideal.
I'm not really sure what you mean here? You're using some terms that are not clearly defined and the context you're using them in is not very clear (to me). In many ways, real life (if that's what you mean by existential reality) often falls short of the ideals, but how does that relate to the “infinite and eternal nature”? We have no way of identifying with such a quality, because we're finite. So making statements about it's nature seems presumptuous. We can of course presume or conceptualise ideas and ideals about the “infinite and eternal nature”, but we cannot know anything qua knowledge - we cannot even know that it exists. I think that the same can be said of absolutes, because they imply that things falling under that category are not subject to change. In a universe where everything seemingly undergoes change (please correct me if I'm wrong), it doesn't seem to follow that there's an entity that doesn't also undergo change (is immutable). An entity that is therefore separate from the universe because of that quality, yet is also a part of it.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Ranvier wrote: Such is the dance of word games: Not all bachelors, masters, MD's or PhD's are unmarried men. I could "play" with "that one" to add to the other "one" to make it an infinity of "one" but first figure out which "one" you mean in this word game.
A classic example of the fallacy of equivocation. Sureley, you can turn everything into a word game if you want to escape the bad consequences (for the soundness of your argument) of dealing with analytic or a priori synthetic statements, but we will know, because it's too obvious, that you had resorted to sophistry.
Ranvier wrote:I'll make a very accurate prediction that tomorrow will be another day... Have you learned any insight and "explanation" about the Sun, tomorrow, or the future day for that matter?

Your description does not take form of a scientific law, it's just an ordinary description. But scientific explanations of the movement of objects, the composition of our solar system, the forces involved, what's the sun made of, etc., do have a lot of insight and predictive power. Has an eclipse taken us by surprise? I don't think so.
Ranvier wrote:Curious, you can understand that an electron is not really a "ball" spinning around an "atom" but when it's in respect to ancient texts written by people privileged enough to even be capable to write for an audience that could barely understand concepts of good or evil, all of a sudden you'll take everything grotesquely literally to confuse yourself :)

Too bad you didn't pay attention to the entire quote. I made it quite clear that I gave "every bit of opportunity" to absolutely everyone who wants me or anyone else to believe in his/her gods. I didn't only mention the ancient scribes and their old texts, but the whole legion of advocates of theism, ancient and modern.
Ranvier wrote:Therefore, we have a reasoning from the observation of "known" (birth and death) facts... that you conclude to be:
"... if human existence predates the concept of god, then how is it that human existence cannot predate the concepts of purpose, laws, morals, etc.?"

Again, you keep stumbling over your own words and start blaming me for your confusion. You see, it's some sort of habit you have of carelessly shooting arguments without noticing what they imply against your own previous statements. In the case above, you jump to say that it is my conclusion that "human existence predates the concept of god". But it doesn't really matter if I believe it or not, nor if I say it or not. What's more important is that you believe it and you said it, because then we can follow the logical consequences of what we both know you believe. The logical statement constructed takes the following form: "If [what Ranvier asserts is true], then X". X is something Ranvier previously asserted as being false. In other words, you have been caught in a blatant contradiction.
Ranvier wrote:The above sentence doesn't make sense, and here is why...
I think that you confuse "concepts" with "reality". Just because I have a "concept" of an electron, doesn't make it a "reality" or that, if it exists, that it wasn't there prior to the conception of the concept in my mind.

The human "concept of God" has nothing to do with "actual God" nor does the human "concept of purpose" have anything to do with the "actual purpose". Do you see the distinction?

There you go, unaware of how these statements hurt your own arguments. You have just acknowledged that you can have a concept of something that does not exist. Since people can have false concepts, including those of prima causa or the "ultimate reason", it becomes a rational possibility that no such first cause, or such "ultimate reason" exist. This goes against your own case that dismissing a first cause or "ultimate reason" is illogical and confused. Your whole case was constructed under the premise that believing in such things was a logical imperative, and now you have blown dynamyte to your argument's structure.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Count Lucanor

Word games and sophistry

I was attempting to provide evidence in arguing logic or rationalization without defining the meaning precisely, which is almost impossible to do with our human language, including mathematics. If you don't define "bachelor" or "unmarried" to the point of justification for a reason of having two different words, expressions, or concepts; therefore, you can't make "bachelors" = "unmarried" and argue the certainty of rational. In other words, it would be irrational to have two different expressions with exactly the same meaning. Therefore, one can't logically argue for two expressions to be equal as in X = Z and Y = Z, therefore X = Y and be absolutely certain about this. Such logic only makes sense in terms of reality of human concepts but it has no basis in "reality".

There is another thread about this, where there is an argument for 1 + 1 = 2, which is a perfectly sound mathematical logic but we all know that no two apples are exactly the same "expression" in "reality".

This is why you wrote this:
"If you're not absolutely certain that all bachelors are unmarried men... then you might start worrying about being irrational".
But a "bachelor" may be a priest "married" to God... in human sense or "unmarried" may mean someone in a long term relationship and hence not a "bachelor". We can't be "certain" of anything... including "God does not exist" This is similar to arguing a "one true religion", which is illogical.

Therefore, arguing any such certainty is irrational in being "confused" by self indulgent certainty. Do you get it?
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

What was in discussion (part of it, since there are other things you still have to deal with) is absolute certainty. And the issue here is the evident truth of analytic propositions, which are true precisely for being tautological. "All bachelors are unmarried men" is a classic expression and there are other ways to rephrase it, meaning exactly the same (i.e. "given that a bachelor is an unmarried man, all bachelors are unmarried men", etc.). Making it a word game in the English language will not change the nature of the expression being a priori analytical. In Spanish, the homonymy in the word corresponding to "bachelor" (soltero), simply does not exist, the term is unequivocal, and the absolute certainty of the statement remains.

Now, let's see the rest.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Count Lucanor

I did not respond to the rest of your contentions because if we can't "agree" on the relativistic nature of "subjective reality", then there is no point in arguing with an "absolute certainty".

-- Updated September 23rd, 2017, 9:46 pm to add the following --

... which is my sarcastic way of saying, you claim to be God
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Ranvier wrote:Count Lucanor

I did not respond to the rest of your contentions because if we can't "agree" on the relativistic nature of "subjective reality", then there is no point in arguing with an "absolute certainty".

-- Updated September 23rd, 2017, 9:46 pm to add the following --

... which is my sarcastic way of saying, you claim to be God
Well, my experience in these debates is that the believers always end up running to their favorite safe shelters: faith, solipsism, relativism.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

That's a good argument to keep me at the "table"... but it doesn't change the fact that our "subjective reality" is only relative. My entire life experience is an "empirical" evidence of that "subjective fact". Otherwise, obviously you would agree with me on everything I say :)

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream