Any Buddhists out there?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Burning ghost

Re: Any Buddhists out there?

Post by Burning ghost »

Synthesis -

I misunderstand? No. Buddhism is about stopping the cycle of suffering.
AKA badgerjelly
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Burning ghost wrote:Synthesis -

I am not a teacher and should be not be telling anybody anything, but you are correct that Buddhism is about stopping the cycle of suffering, as well as many other things, but this intellectual understanding is only a portal to the practice. The actual practice allows one to manifest Buddhism.

Perhaps it can be compared to talking about love and being in love. If you have never been in love, then one can not truly understand. When object and subject collapse, then, only action.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Synthesis wrote:
Burning ghost wrote:Synthesis -

I am not a teacher and should be not be telling anybody anything, but you are correct that Buddhism is about stopping the cycle of suffering, as well as many other things, but this intellectual understanding is only a portal to the practice. The actual practice allows one to manifest Buddhism.

Perhaps it can be compared to talking about love and being in love. If you have never been in love, then one can not truly understand. When object and subject collapse, then, only action.
"Practice" meaning what?

"Manifest Buddhism"? More mystical meaningless jargon or does this actually mean something?
AKA badgerjelly
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Burning ghost wrote:
Synthesis wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

"Practice" meaning what?

"Manifest Buddhism"? More mystical meaningless jargon or does this actually mean something?
The practice is meditation.

Have you ever been so involved in doing something that time seemed to disappear, that you just became one with your task? That's sort of what this idea gets at.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Most Buddhists don't meditate at all, so I think you've very little ground to base such an idea on. Meditation existed before Buddhism. Ask any Buddhist in Thailand or there about what it means to be Buddhist and they won't mention meditation at all most likely (and like I said earlier large amounts of Buddhist monks in pagodas are homosexuals barely interested in meditation. For poor minorities it is simply an obvious way to live a peaceful and happy life among other gay people)

You may never be able to attain nirvana through meditation alone. I very much doubt there are many individuals that could do such a thing, if any at all. We are all different though so I imagine there are extreme cases.

There is also the fallacy of "ending suffering". It is a lie and in itself deeply destructive by trying not to be destructive. If nirvana is the ultimate goal of the Buddhist then why did Buddha come back from nirvana? He didn't. Nirvana is here and now not some lofty idealism. It is simply you seeing you and being able to suffer properly.

The Dalai Lama hasn't even gotten to where I did apparently so why listen to his nonsense? And he eats meat. Another thing many westerners find hard to understand when they stay in pagodas is that they may very well eat meat for the first time in years without knowing it. Kind of funny when you're sat next to a guy who says he never imagined he'd eat meat again in his life due to his Buddhist views, a guy who had not eaten meat for over 7 years, and there in the Buddhist pagoda he was eating the meat handed out to him. haha!!

Meditation is taught in Buddhism more as a means to make a protective bubble than anything else. It is most certainly a useful tool for relaxation and concentration, other than that if you don't fill your head with something of substance it is of no more use than a samurai sword is to a baby.

As someone once parroted to me, the old adage, "we must all tend our gardens how we see fit."

Good luck to you
AKA badgerjelly
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Burning ghost wrote:Meditation is taught in Buddhism more as a means to make a protective bubble than anything else.
Perhaps your thinking in this regard may change over time.

In any case, I wish you all the best on your own path.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Burning Ghost:
Most Buddhists don't meditate at all, so I think you've very little ground to base such an idea on. Meditation existed before Buddhism. Ask any Buddhist in Thailand or there about what it means to be Buddhist and they won't mention meditation at all most likely (and like I said earlier large amounts of Buddhist monks in pagodas are homosexuals barely interested in meditation. For poor minorities it is simply an obvious way to live a peaceful and happy life among other gay people)
Nothing surprising at all about this. Most Christians don't pray,either. Who cares about what most people do?
You may never be able to attain nirvana through meditation alone. I very much doubt there are many individuals that could do such a thing, if any at all. We are all different though so I imagine there are extreme cases.

There is also the fallacy of "ending suffering". It is a lie and in itself deeply destructive by trying not to be destructive. If nirvana is the ultimate goal of the Buddhist then why did Buddha come back from nirvana? He didn't. Nirvana is here and now not some lofty idealism. It is simply you seeing you and being able to suffer properly.
Nirvana is being able to suffer properly?? Look, you don't think there is such a thing as nirvana. And no one can convince you otherwise. Neither does a typical Wall Street analyst. It is only for those who have the sufficient calling. Like anything else. I'd make a lousy first baseman. There are those whe testify to amazing experiences. Of course, they could be lying, but not deluded; after all, delusion is about interpretation, not experience. Feeling so wonderful and full of a mysterious insight is by itself, not an interpretative report. It is what it is. But then, start talking about Jesus' exclusive claim to your salvation and so on, that can be argued.

The Dalai Lama hasn't even gotten to where I did apparently so why listen to his nonsense? And he eats meat. Another thing many westerners find hard to understand when they stay in pagodas is that they may very well eat meat for the first time in years without knowing it. Kind of funny when you're sat next to a guy who says he never imagined he'd eat meat again in his life due to his Buddhist views, a guy who had not eaten meat for over 7 years, and there in the Buddhist pagoda he was eating the meat handed out to him. haha!!
This is blatantly beside the point. A fallacy ad hominem. Who cares what the dali lama did? Gautama Siddhartha didn't.
I would hazard that you have issues that are not about Buddhism at all.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Buddhism has the same goal as all the other religions. The only difference between religions is their particular belief systems and specific techniques.

'Meditation' is their specific technique to acquire self-consciousness. Other religions simply have other techniques, but they all come down to the same thing --- waking up and living consciously and intentionally.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

This reminds me of the Christian debates, where people speak at cross purposes between a religion's ideals and practice. There is always a potential rationalisation for everything, both pro and non spiritual, either valid or faux valid. I've conducted this debate internally for five years since my last peak experience.

What happens when a fairly rationalist thinker finds herself bathed in overwhelming unconditional love and feels as though she's glimpsed the threshold between life and death - all accompanied by a feeling of bliss far greater than any she'd felt before? The really odd part is that during and after the experience I gained greater clarity than usual and found myself able to readily solve issues and questions that had been niggling for some time.

Was it a delusion or illusion? A lucky brain glitch?

I Googled. Many others had reported very similar.

Was it a runaway dopamine response?

What caused it, and why the post-experience clarity?

Maybe they are just dynamics that can occur in the human brain?

Maybe something like God exists, or spirits of ancestors or the spirit of the Earth as earlier tranches of ancients believed?

Then again, what of Susan Blackmore's studies into near death where she concluded after many years of study that it's just the activity of a dying brain?

But what of Ian Stevenson's studies on kids who seemingly remember prior incarnations where there are a number of cases that seem impossible to explain away, along with NDE cases without adequate explanations?

Maybe something else interesting is going on but it's not been described due to an inherent mental inability of humans (at this stage) to understand? A child cannot comprehend the problems in running an economy so reality may have layers of complexity and relationships that are completely out of our league to comprehend.

Whatever, there are techniques like meditation and prayer that can be employed to help practitioners relax and be receptive (as suggested above by Atreyu). However, I personally find them unbearably tedious :)
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Greta wrote: Whatever, there are techniques like meditation and prayer that can be employed to help practitioners relax and be receptive (as suggested above by Atreyu). However, I personally find them unbearably tedious :)
Greta, there are many types of meditation, but when one speaks of Zen, or essential Buddhism, the goal is awareness only. No special feeling, no special states, no special anything. This is why the historical Buddha proclaimed that he achieved absolutely nothing from the enlightenment experience.

People are mistaken when they believe that this is about anything else, but having said that, a state of awareness allows for clarity and the resulting wisdom derived from experiencing things as they are instead of how we think they are. Nothing more.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Greta wrote: Whatever, there are techniques like meditation and prayer that can be employed to help practitioners relax and be receptive (as suggested above by Atreyu). However, I personally find them unbearably tedious :)
Unfortunately for most, any human development and progress must go through the learning curve which inevitably involve 'tediousness' i.e. repetitions for the muscles and neurons to establish the necessary program and 'memory.'
However if one can understand the rewards that come with the repetition, then one can make the tediousness and boringness lesser. Note there are tons of benefit one can get from doing regular meditation alone. To get more of out life, one has to do additional mental exercises in addition to merely meditating.
So it is critical one understand what meditation [more returns than prayers] can greatly benefit a person.
Synthesis wrote: Greta, there are many types of meditation, but when one speaks of Zen, or essential Buddhism, the goal is awareness only. No special feeling, no special states, no special anything. This is why the historical Buddha proclaimed that he achieved absolutely nothing from the enlightenment experience.
I believe there is more to Zen Buddhism than 'awareness', 'presentness' or 'in the NOW,' and the likes. Such a state is merely a pre-requirement to perform and live life optimally with one's constraints, limitations and environmental conditions.

I view Buddhism as comprising the following, i.e.
Buddha's 4NT-8FP -A Life Problem Solving Technique.
http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... +technique

Life is a constant 'process' with 'problems' which must be attended to all the time.
Dukkha [often inefficiently translated as 'sufferings'] is a range of constant problems to a person's life.
Buddhism's "4NT-8FP -A Life Problem Solving Technique" deals with ALL of life's problems. The Buddha Story emphasizes the mother of all problems as the existential crisis, followed by anxieties of old age, disease which are related very near to the problem of mortality.

Meditation is merely one strategy and technique to facilitate tackling life's problem efficiently. For example these days, many sport person use various meditative techniques to improve their performance, e.g. think of the next point not about winning, the trophy, the money, adulations, etc.
During meditation a meditator may experience various kinds of oneness with the universe, epiphany, etc. but these are merely a side effects and not critical to the spiritual path.

Buddhism as an organized religion has its pros and cons. However I [btw not a Buddhist officially] find Buddhism is the most complete religion in providing the range of spiritual needs [Philosophy and practices] from A-Z to cater for people with different religious inclinations. Other religions provide only from A to W [Hinduism, etc.] or A to M [Abrahamic] and thus do not provide the full spiritual coverage for humanity.

-- Updated Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 pm to add the following --
[b]Burning ghost[/b] wrote: Meditation is taught in Buddhism more as a means to make a protective bubble than anything else. It is most certainly a useful tool for relaxation and concentration, other than that if you don't fill your head with something of substance it is of no more use than a samurai sword is to a baby.
As usual your views are from a very superficial understanding of the full range of what Buddhism is. Update your database with the following;

Buddhist meditation involve two techniques i.e.
1. Samatha - concentration
2. Vispasanna - Insight and rewiring the neurons
1.Most systems of meditation emphasize the Samatha component. The meditator focuses his mind upon some items, such as prayer, a certain type of box, a chant, a candle flame, a religious image or whatever, and excludes all other thoughts and perceptions from his consciousness. The result is a state of rapture which lasts until the meditator ends the session of sitting. It is beautiful, delightful, meaningful and alluring, but only temporary. Vipassana meditation addresses the other component, insight.

2. In Vipassana mediation, the meditator uses his concentration [from 1] as a tool by which his awareness can chip away at the wall of illusion that cuts him off from the living light of reality. It is a gradual process of ever-increasing awareness into the inner workings of reality itself. It takes years, but one day the meditator chisels through that wall and tumbles into the presence of light. The transformation is complete. It’s called Liberation, and it’s permanent. Liberation is the goal of all Buddhist systems of practice. But the routes to the attainment of that end are quite diverse.
https://tricycle.org/magazine/vipassana-meditation/
It is from Vipassana meditation that one can improve the efficiency of one's performance in living one's life, i.e. 'the filling of one head with something of substance.'
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Greta:
What happens when a fairly rationalist thinker finds herself bathed in overwhelming unconditional love and feels as though she's glimpsed the threshold between life and death - all accompanied by a feeling of bliss far greater than any she'd felt before? The really odd part is that during and after the experience I gained greater clarity than usual and found myself able to readily solve issues and questions that had been niggling for some time.

Was it a delusion or illusion? A lucky brain glitch?
Odd that you should mention this about NDE people. I've given them a lot of thought,not so much because there is consistency in their reports, as is often sited as the basis fro believing them, but for other reasons. First, if they are not to be believed in their extraordinary accounts, they are either lying or deluded. They are not lying. I have given them a full hearing and I know when someone is lying and these people are simply not. Mary Neal, Ebon Alexander, and the rest popular on youtube: I mean, to think they are lying one must be a very poor judge of such things. Listen to them and others. It is just as clear as crystal that they did have the experiences they say they had. So that leaves us with delusion, or illusion: they are mistaken, and they did not go to some place and have encounters with spiritual beings. All this was in their heads.

Now we have to be clear: narratives about experiences can be mistaken about the where and who and other "facts" of the experience, but what they cannot be mistaken about is that which is not grounded in interpretation, and that is the bliss they have, and the far greater sense of the Real. These are things that cannot be mistaken, for they don't rest with interpretation. They are intuited, free of assailable content. I mean, you can't tell a person, "no, you really didn't feel happy beyond all measure and common sense." So there is no error here.

And now it gets philosophical. How do we know wht the real is, I mean you and I and the computer here on a desk: what is the measure of the real? Put presuppositions aside and it really comes down to the intuited sense of Being here. Material vs idea? Words that fit on top of this Being here now, which is foundational. That these people had a heightened sense of the Real, and this cannot be refuted (unless you want to call them liars, which they are not) is indicative of something very, very interesting, and gives warrant to credibility that something happened that cannot be explained away in terms of haywire brain activity. After all, and this is a clincher of sorts, and I invoke William james in his varieties of Religious Experiences: what is it to know the world as we do if not brain activity of some kind or other? And then which brain function has the greater claim to the Real? The most intensely intuited as Real.

And what of their claims to stand in the midst of divinity? Can this kind of thing be dismissed? Can one be deluded about experiencing divinity? Now that is an interesting question!

Another premise for me is a private one: I am a threshold personality, of sorts. I live partly int he world these guys describe; a sot of Ode to Intimations of Immortality kind of guy, and

-- Updated July 25th, 2017, 11:32 pm to add the following --

...to continue: and so I have an affinity with them, and puts me a little closer to appreciating their position.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Synthesis wrote:
Greta wrote:Whatever, there are techniques like meditation and prayer that can be employed to help practitioners relax and be receptive (as suggested above by Atreyu). However, I personally find them unbearably tedious :)
Greta, there are many types of meditation, but when one speaks of Zen, or essential Buddhism, the goal is awareness only. No special feeling, no special states, no special anything. This is why the historical Buddha proclaimed that he achieved absolutely nothing from the enlightenment experience.

People are mistaken when they believe that this is about anything else, but having said that, a state of awareness allows for clarity and the resulting wisdom derived from experiencing things as they are instead of how we think they are. Nothing more.
Yes, meditation masters often warn about excessive interest in metaphysical effects, which can inflate egos and generally distract from the aim of clarity.
Spectrum wrote:Unfortunately for most, any human development and progress must go through the learning curve which inevitably involve 'tediousness' i.e. repetitions for the muscles and neurons to establish the necessary program and 'memory.'
However if one can understand the rewards that come with the repetition, then one can make the tediousness and boringness lesser.
Everyone knows the benefits but how can they understand them if they haven't felt them? So what keeps people motivated to meditate when they know, but don't understand, the benefits? It requires a leap of faith - that one isn't just wasting their time sitting around repeating a mantra, watching an apple or focused on breathing.

-- Updated 25 Jul 2017, 23:18 to add the following --
Hereandnow wrote:... It is just as clear as crystal that they did have the experiences they say they had. So that leaves us with delusion, or illusion: they are mistaken, and they did not go to some place and have encounters with spiritual beings. All this was in their heads.

Now we have to be clear: narratives about experiences can be mistaken about the where and who and other "facts" of the experience, but what they cannot be mistaken about is that which is not grounded in interpretation, and that is the bliss they have, and the far greater sense of the Real. These are things that cannot be mistaken, for they don't rest with interpretation. They are intuited, free of assailable content. I mean, you can't tell a person, "no, you really didn't feel happy beyond all measure and common sense." So there is no error here.

And now it gets philosophical. How do we know what the real is[?] ...
I've wondered about this too. Death is fascinating to those interested in existential issues in the same way as black holes fascinate physicists - the fringes of things tell you something of their nature, where boundaries and delineation lie.

So here we are lying on our deathbed. Recovery measures have failed and your brain has some minutes of oxygen left. There may be strong time dilation effects due to increased immersion. This brings us to bliss. Bliss states are invariably associated with immersion. When one has just died and alone in one's head without even sensory input as a distraction, it's not as though you have bigger fish to fry at the time! :) This is IT. You will be of course be completely immersed in that experience, limited only by disorientation and fear of the unknown.

At this point, your involvement with the world outside has stopped. You now only have one world - the dream world in your head. That is now your only reality (unless someone in the real world grievously damages your head). If you should meet with people you know at this stage of an NDE, how do you know whether it is actually them or if they are a construct of your mind? Or maybe they are, in some odd twisty-dimensional way, both?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

hereandnow -
Who cares about what most people do?
Most people? Doesn't matter how much you dodge around there is simply no denying that Buddhism is about attaining nirvana and breaking the karmic cycle of suffering. If a Buddhist doesn't meditate are they really Buddhist? What defines their belief? I can tell you now quite clearly "meditation" is not one of those of things, although it may be for some.

What is a fallacy?

I have attained nirvana before so I think that means I "believe" it. Lets face it though, "nirvana" is just a fancy term for a state of consciousness. You won't believe me and I cannot describe it to you. Yet you're willing to believe some guy that lived hundreds of years ago didn't eat meat and you should do what he did blindly? How do you know he didn't eat meat? Nah! Not buying into that kind of fanaticism because it is utter nonsense.
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Greta:
At this point, your involvement with the world outside has stopped. You now only have one world - the dream world in your head.
And there you are, as you have never been before. Of course if one drowns oneself in distractions, the moment will never come, right up to the last breath. But I would call it a world of dreams. Forget what you explicitly may think to define the moment. focus rather on the heightened subjectivity as such. Interpretations vary, but not the gravitas. And this is what is missing from all those blithe dismissals of death, and missing from the lived life,for that matter. (Heidegger is amazing on death).

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream