What is the meaning of religion

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Steve3007

Re: What is the meaning of religion

Post by Steve3007 »

Atreyu (with word added in square brackets for context):
I believe it [consciousness] has always existed. The "beginning", if there was one, was when it existed, or at least when it became active. For us, where it "comes from", can be understood by understanding that consciousness can only be acquired as a result of the help and guidance from an already existing consciousness. Consciousness cannot arise in a vacuum. If nothing is conscious, then there is no substrate from which it could arise.
This would suggest that you wouldn't rule out the creation of artificial consciousness by a conscious agent like a human being? The only thing you seem to rule out for sure is the spontaneous emergence of consciousness. So, much like Ranvier's "conservation of of purpose" law, you postulate a kind of "conservation of consciousness" law. I can't really argue against that because it's simply an assertion of something that you believe to be true. The only thing I would point out is that other conservation laws (such as "conservation of energy") are arrived at by Inductive generalization from specific cases. i.e. they stand or fall by our ability to verify or falsify them.

The evidence available so far seems to me to falsify "conservation of consciousness". i.e. the only place in the universe where we know consciousness to exist is the surface of the planet Earth. And we have a lot of evidence that at some point in the past the surface of the Earth did not exist. You've said in the past that life (and therefore consciousness?) could have been carried here on asteroids/meteors/whatever. I've pointed out that those objects also didn't exist at some point in the past.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Dark Matter wrote: Civilization is built around these "silly tales about unconvincing deities and their ridiculous demands."
And here I thought civilizations were built around natural harbours and defensibe hill-tops.
The stories are made to keep the population quiescent, productive and obedient. That's why the stories change with changes in governance; the laws change with the needs of leaders for more or less self-sacrifice on the part of the workers; more or less aggressive armies, more or less surplus females; with industrial and economic conditions.
Rationalism is wrong when it assumes that religion is at first a primitive belief in something which is then followed by the pursuit of values.
Rationalism doesn't assume anything. Rational people - anthropologists, etc. - follow the evidence they can find wherever it leads.
Rather, religion is primarily a pursuit of values, and then there formulates a system of interpretative beliefs.
Where is this sequence to be found? For example, where are the examples of a people (presumably verbal; preferable literate or at least pictograte) with no values, holding a referendum and deciding collectively to spot and chase down a set of values? And what does "there formulates" mean, exactly? Are values self-generating? Do they self-form on demand, or spontaneously? In nascent civilizations, or in the wild, and civilization then coalesces around them? Or was it single individuals, like Confucius, Aaron and Muhammad? If the latter, what rock did they grow up under, to come up to adulthood 1. value-less 2. aware that a system of values was needed and 3. informed enough to formulate one?
Back in the day, people were much more aware of their inner life than people today for the simple reason that there wasn't much to distract them.
Which "day" was that? 1850 in the mines and tenements? 1500 in the fields and galleys? 4000BC on pyramid detail? Surely not so far back as 10,000 BC, when life took quite a lot of effort to sustain and not-so-primitives buried their dead with cherished possessions and talismans...
Felt values were as real or even more real than the material world: they actually meant something.
What makes you think so? Flea-bites probably itched just as much; certainly, the wounds and fractures are evident even on the oldest fossil bones; and people today seem to need a manurewagon-load of substances, organic and synthetic, as well as rituals, gurus, self-help books and visualizing pep-talks to cope with their distracted material reality
"May you live in interesting times" is an ancient Chinese curse, not a blessing, for this very reason.
They meant peasant uprising, wars, tornadoes financial crises, instability.[/quote]
Interesting times distract us from what really matter: spiritual progress.
Which is measured in what units? How do you tell another person, or a society, is making any?
Is it like America's current long torchlight-and-assault-rifle parade to the middle ages?
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Dark Matter wrote:Watts summed up the situation very well using a logic anyone can follow,
We can follow that logic to the cliff where it runs to and witness its failure, although it's quite boring to see that show again. I mean, the cosmological argument at this time?
Dark Matter wrote:...but the success of material science has led many people to the illogical, if not irrational, conclusion that matter is all there is or, if not all, at least the bottom line.
But I'm pretty sure we cannot talk about the success of "spiritual science", can we?
Dark Matter wrote:But religion's pursuit of values is a whole other dimension of life. It is therefore called by its critics a delusion, memes, a “parasite,” an opiate, irrational, intolerant, dogmatic, an intrusion on other people's lives and other such nonsense while ignoring (as did Marx) the fact that universities, hospitals, art, music, dance, modern science and even the values that lead critics to excoriate religion has historical ties to the religious impulse in is man.
It's not religion's pursuit of values, but man's pursuits shaping his values according to his concrete conditions of existence, which can take the form of religion. These institutions are not tied to the religious impulse; in fact, religiosity is another institution of which we can find the origin in social life, which is determined by the material conditions of existence.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Alias

Post by Alias »

Steve3007 wrote: The familiar old ancient Greek legends and poems, for example, could be regarded as simply a bunch of silly tales. But they have served as a deep source of metaphor for thousands of years.
Only, those are quite modern, anthropology-wise. They're observations of human psychology, rather than metaphysics: the very gods themselves, and their relationships, are embodiments of human attributes and relations. If values reflect Greek city-state political arrangements, rather than absolute or universal spiritual aspirations.

-- Updated October 1st, 2017, 10:33 am to add the following --

I meant: If [it encompasses a system of] values, these reflect, etc. (my cut-and-paste is hit-and-miss)
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:But religion's pursuit of values is a whole other dimension of life. It is therefore called by its critics a delusion, memes, a “parasite,” an opiate, irrational, intolerant, dogmatic, an intrusion on other people's lives and other such nonsense while ignoring (as did Marx) the fact that universities, hospitals, art, music, dance, modern science and even the values that lead critics to excoriate religion has historical ties to the religious impulse in is man.
It's not religion's pursuit of values, but man's pursuits shaping his values according to his concrete conditions of existence, which can take the form of religion. These institutions are not tied to the religious impulse; in fact, religiosity is another institution of which we can find the origin in social life, which is determined by the material conditions of existence.
What you're saying is that necessity drove men together, religion kept them together.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Dark Matter wrote:
Count Lucanor wrote:
(Nested quote removed.)

What you're saying is that necessity drove men together, religion kept them together.
As an illusory comfort, an escape (in fantasy) from the valley of tears. The issue then is to replace that illusion with a real solution to men's problems.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Here in an interesting article that directly relates to the OP:

Mathematics and the Religious Impulse

-- Updated October 1st, 2017, 3:12 pm to add the following --
Count Lucanor wrote:
Dark Matter wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

As an illusory comfort, an escape (in fantasy) from the valley of tears. The issue then is to replace that illusion with a real solution to men's problems.
Hence the religious impulse. Look, no one is denying the evolutionary origin of religion, at least I'm not, but as religion evolved it aquired the ability and indeed the drive to look into the abyss from where the music comes (read the article). Remember, too, that for the first modern scientists like Galileo and Newton, mathematics was a way of communion with the mind of God.

I've encountered several here who, when looking into the abyss, are quite satisfied with "I don't know." They don't understand the qualitative difference between "I don't know" and not-knowing. The former is proud that it finds comfort in ignorance; the latter listens to the music from the abyss and gives it his or her unique conceptual interpretation.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Dark Matter wrote: I've encountered several here who, when looking into the abyss, are quite satisfied with "I don't know." They don't understand the qualitative difference between "I don't know" and not-knowing.
Always happy to be informed my own state of mind by someone I've never met.
The former is proud that it finds comfort in ignorance;
Or simply admits an obvious fact: a so-far inescapable dearth of reliable information.
the latter listens to the music from the abyss and gives it his or her unique conceptual interpretation.
Makes **** up to cover that same ignorance. But the **** they make is often musically fulfilling - that much is true.
(Other times, it requires the suffering and death of many humans and other species.
An honest, patient collection of data requires some little discomfort and hardly any sacrifice, but is short on operatic potential.)
Nobody wants to take away your personal divine revelation. Just don't foist it on others.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

It is exceedingly odd that while critics of religion accept and even demand that evolution be credited with the way things are, they are unwilling to accept that religion, too, evolves. That is, they believe that what motivated troglodytes towards religion still motivates of modern man.

If the issue is to replace that illusion with a real solution to men's problems," we should take note that "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

-- Updated October 1st, 2017, 3:58 pm to add the following --
Alias wrote:
Dark Matter wrote: I've encountered several here who, when looking into the abyss, are quite satisfied with "I don't know." They don't understand the qualitative difference between "I don't know" and not-knowing.
Always happy to be informed my own state of mind by someone I've never met.
The former is proud that it finds comfort in ignorance;
Or simply admits an obvious fact: a so-far inescapable dearth of reliable information.
the latter listens to the music from the abyss and gives it his or her unique conceptual interpretation.
Makes **** up to cover that same ignorance. But the **** they make is often musically fulfilling - that much is true.
(Other times, it requires the suffering and death of many humans and other species.
An honest, patient collection of data requires some little discomfort and hardly any sacrifice, but is short on operatic potential.)
Nobody wants to take away your personal divine revelation. Just don't foist it on others.

Steve: remember what I said about religion being called by its critics a delusion, memes, a “parasite,” an opiate, irrational, intolerant, dogmatic, an intrusion on other people's lives? It's like something what I said hit a raw nerve.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Dark Matter wrote:It is exceedingly odd that while critics of religion accept and even demand that evolution be credited with the way things are, they are unwilling to accept that religion, too, evolves. That is, they believe that what motivated troglodytes towards religion still motivates of modern man.
I'm not sure to what critics you refer, but as you quote me below, I'll take it as including myself.
In fact, I have never demanded any 'credit' for evolution, though I accept its to-date condition as a viable and credible body of scientific work.
Nor have I so much criticized religions as critiqued them: described how they operate, and what functions they serve, in differently structured societies.
If the issue is to replace that illusion with a real solution to men's problems," we should take note that "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
That's valid. So, toss the bibles and puranas, as well as Clausewitz, The Prince and neoclassical economic growth theory and pick up a how to install a solar array manual or vegetarian cookbook.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dark Matter:
Steve: remember what I said about religion being called by its critics a delusion, memes, a “parasite,” an opiate, irrational, intolerant, dogmatic, an intrusion on other people's lives? It's like something what I said hit a raw nerve.
You said that religion is called those things "because it pursues values". That was the part I was surprised about. I'm surprised that anybody would find fault with another simply for pursuing, or having, values.

But, let's be honest, people don't say those things about religion because it pursues values. They have other things in mind.

In the USA they have "In God We Trust" written on the bank notes. They have presidents who regularly remind the populace that worshiping God is the American way. People who don't explicitly state their belief in God (or "a higher power") are barred from public office. Religions are given tax breaks. etc.

I think it's probably specific things like these (specific issues about a specific religion in a specific country), that non-religious people are probably thinking about when they complain about intrusion into other people's lives and so on. And when the very small minority of non-religious people who complain about this environment speak up, and some people denounce them for constantly attacking religion, I can see why they'd be a bit exasperated at the lack of even-handedness.

As I've often said: it takes all sorts to make a world. I personally have no religious convictions but am perfectly happy to keep quiet about that when travelling in countries where almost everyone does and where adherence to the predominant religion of that country is necessary for anyone who wants to do anything in public life. But I can certainly see why someone who lived in such a place, and who didn't have any religious convictions, might want to exercise their right to free speech and gripe about it every now and then.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Why should it surprise you? Comments like "Just don't foist it on others" is a defensive stance against values, not beliefs. It raises the question why the only ones who interpret religious beliefs to be truth-statements are critics and fundamentalists.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Or they might even object to the treatment of one religious group by another religious group, just on the grounds of fairness.
Which is a non-religious value.

-- Updated October 1st, 2017, 5:04 pm to add the following --
Dark Matter wrote:Why should it surprise you? Comments like "Just don't foist it on others" is a defensive stance against values, not beliefs.
Nope. It's a defensive stance against intrusion in one's private life by dictating "secular" laws regarding marriage, public education and medical treatment.
And crusades and jihads - not a fan of either, me.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Alias wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:Why should it surprise you? Comments like "Just don't foist it on others" is a defensive stance against values, not beliefs.
Nope. It's a defensive stance against intrusion in one's private life by dictating "secular" laws regarding marriage, public education and medical treatment.
Societies need some kind of structure in order to function. The statement, “Every impulse of every electron, thought, or spirit is an acting unit in the whole universe” is reasonable in terms of both religion and mathematics. On the other hand, statements like "Just don't foist it on others" speaks of a deep-seated fear of having to answer to a higher authority, power, or reality. It's a way of saying “I don't want to listen to anyone, much less the music coming from the abyss because I believe what's good for me (or my group) is good for the world and the universe.”

"Only sin is isolated and evil gravity resisting on the mental and spiritual levels. The universe is a whole; no thing or being exists or lives in isolation."
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Dark Matter wrote:Here in an interesting article that directly relates to the OP:

Mathematics and the Religious Impulse
I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but when will someone come up with some new, original argument for theism that has not been tried before? This is just a cheap remake of the ad ignorantiam fallacy (if you can't prove that something does not exist, therefore it must exist) and using the limits of inductive knowledge to shift the burden of proof. Note the tricky words that the author employs before delivering his failed analogy:

"why so many of us are driven to embrace realities that go beyond what science can establish with clarity."

Wait a minute, what "realities"? If they have not been established as truths, how can they be a priori deemed as realities? What he is really saying is that he feels justified (by the ad ignorantiam fallacy) to believe some stuff that he thinks is in a safe space, free and unharmed from scientific and philosophical inquiries. In other words, what he means to say is:

"why so many of us are driven to embrace fantasies that go beyond what science can establish with clarity."

Yeah sure, people can embrace any belief that they want, whether is Zeus or the Moon Goddess. That they are real is something else.
Dark Matter wrote:
Hence the religious impulse. Look, no one is denying the evolutionary origin of religion,
If so, I can happily volunteer!!!

Dark Matter wrote:at least I'm not, but as religion evolved it aquired the ability and indeed the drive to look into the abyss from where the music comes (read the article). Remember, too, that for the first modern scientists like Galileo and Newton, mathematics was a way of communion with the mind of God.
From an epistemological point of view, we may acknowledge an abyss of the unknown. It's epistemic, abstract, not a real place in ontological terms, so nothing will be coming out of it. As for an ontological abyss, one of time and space, if something had been coming out of it (the music) we would have noticed. And if we had noticed something we can't describe, it still would be part of the continuum of time and space, in other words, within the boundaries of the material world, the only music we have listened so far.
Dark Matter wrote:I've encountered several here who, when looking into the abyss, are quite satisfied with "I don't know." They don't understand the qualitative difference between "I don't know" and not-knowing. The former is proud that it finds comfort in ignorance; the latter listens to the music from the abyss and gives it his or her unique conceptual interpretation.
One either knows or doesn't know. What theists do is disguise their blind beliefs as knowledge.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream