God is an Impossibility.

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Namelesss

Re: God is an Impossibility.

Post by Namelesss »

Dark Matter wrote:
Great said:

“What logical reason is there to call The All “God” rather than “the universe”?
Nameless said:

“Omni” is completely transcendental, unconditional, One.
I don’t understand why there’s a question.
To whom are you speaking?
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

The attribute of God cannot be "Omni-" - God is omni-evil?
Whatever the omni- it has to be the attributes that are essential and positive to God.
Namelesss wrote:Why, yes, Omni means ALL INCLUSIVE!!
All prett y, all ugly, all in between, all 'good', all 'evil', all stuff that makes you feel pleasant and all stuff that hurts!
ALL inclusive!
Then, is your omni-everything God an omni-baby_molestor, omni-pedophile?
It is your own arbitrary limitations that you place on the Omni, if it feels good to you, it's 'good'. If it hurts, it's bad. Are you a child? Don't you know that the best medicine hurts, and we do it anyway, and be grateful!
All this judgment that you display is your own biases and psychology at work, your own ego.
There is not anything that exists that is not God/Self!
That includes passing feelings that are uncomfortable.
'Good' and 'evil' exist in the judgmental eye of the beholder!
When we see either, we are looking in the mirror! What we 'see', is God!
Problem is you do not think philosophically, i.e. wisely.
Rationally and morally, an absolutely perfect God cannot be omni-evil but is morally omni-good and omni-benevolent, i.e. zero evil.

But as I had argued, an absolutely perfect God is an impossibility to be real empirically and rationally.
That is simply because, (and, yes, it is true) the Omni is completely transcendental, unconditional, One!, and cannot possibly be defined (limited) in an inherently limited dualistic system of observation.

By the way, an absolutely perfect God (the very definition of Perfection; Truth/Reality/Universal... ALL inclusive) is certainly 'rationally' produced! I have just done so! *__-
Yes, it is "rationally" produced but that is based on instinctual primal-reason [kindergarten] and not philosophical- refined-reason [PhD.].

To be really real, the basis must imperatively be empirical and rational [based on philosophical refined reasoning]. You cannot jump to conclusion [the nature of primal reason] and end up with an omni-God that is an omni-baby-sex-molestor or omni-evil.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Spectrum wrote:
The attribute of God cannot be "Omni-" - God is omni-evil?
Whatever the omni- it has to be the attributes that are essential and positive to God.
Namelesss wrote:Why, yes, Omni means ALL INCLUSIVE!!
All pretty, all ugly, all in between, all 'good', all 'evil', all stuff that makes you feel pleasant and all stuff that hurts!
ALL inclusive!
I can't say it any better, ALL inclusive!!! Anything that you can fit into the blank.. is True!
The One is, by definition, ALL inclusive!
And yes, Dorothy, even the stuff that makes you uncomfortable! *__-
Alright Yoda,... this is going to be amusing...
Rationally and morally, an absolutely perfect God cannot be omni-evil but is morally omni-good and omni-benevolent, i.e. zero evil.
Rationally, a Perfect God/Universe/Reality is perfectly balanced. All inclusive of all apparent polarities!

"Every kind of partial and transitory disequilibrium must perforce contribute towards the great equilibrium of the whole.." - Rene' Guenon

Your arbitrary limitations on God/Universe/Truth... are logically and rationally irrelevant!
A mere admission of a very limited vision/Perspective.
And a God of which you speak, yet have no Knowledge/experience.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

I rather like your posts, Nameless.

BTW, I wasn't talking to anyone in particular. I was just commenting on Greta's question, which didn't seem to make sense in view of your statement.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Namelesss wrote:Thus the One (unchanging, ALL inclusive) Universe, and all in it, must be God!
There is no argument against this Reality!
Greta wrote:There is an argument against the labeling, though. What logical reason is there to call The All "God" rather than "the universe"?
Namelesss wrote:To speak is to lie (why literalists remain clueless)!
In discussion, all is metaphor. We just pick a metaphor relate-able to the widest demographic, when writing/discussing.
It doesn't matter the Perspective (metaphor), they all refer to the same thing;

Existence = the complete Universe = Nature = Reality = Consciousness = Truth = Love = 'Self!' = God = Brahman = Tao = ... etc....
ALL INCLUSIVE!!'One'!
If the universe is in a multiverse, how might that affect your pantheist model? Would you simply expand the boundary and say "Multiverse = Nature = Reality = Consciousness ..." etc?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Greta wrote: If the universe is in a multiverse...
It is not, by definition!
Uni- = One! All is One!
One means ALL INCLUSIVE!
The 'multiverse' theory violates Occam's razor and is an ignorant statement that they are clueless, so, add a few more Universes to compensate for what they cannot explain!
Rather pathetic!
One (unchanging, ALL inclusive Universe. Irrefutable! *__-
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

(Nested quote removed.)

I can't say it any better, ALL inclusive!!! Anything that you can fit into the blank.. is True!
The One is, by definition, ALL inclusive!
And yes, Dorothy, even the stuff that makes you uncomfortable! *__-
Alright Yoda,... this is going to be amusing...
Rationally, a Perfect God/Universe/Reality is perfectly balanced. All inclusive of all apparent polarities!

"Every kind of partial and transitory disequilibrium must perforce contribute towards the great equilibrium of the whole.." - Rene' Guenon

Your arbitrary limitations on God/Universe/Truth... are logically and rationally irrelevant!
A mere admission of a very limited vision/Perspective.
And a God of which you speak, yet have no Knowledge/experience.
So you are willing to accept your God is omni-everything and your God is an omni-baby_molestor, omni-pedophile, an omni-evil.
In this case, you do not have any sense of morality at all. The consequence is you are condoning real evil, i.e. child molesting. genocides, etc.
Note the fact is 5.4 billion out of 7+ billion theists will find your views abominable.

It appears you are holding the pantheistic or panentheistic, i.e. God is all there is. I has stated before, I was a pantheist [re Brahman] for a long time. I had argued all ideas of God ultimately is an absolutely perfect God. I have also argued an absolutely perfect God is an impossibility to be real in the empirical-rational sense. Why you are driven to reify the pantheistic God is due to subliminal internal psychological desperation, albeit not as desperate as most of the Abrahamic monontheist.

An absolute perfect God [monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, etc] is merely an idea which is illusory and I have proven it is impossible to be real in the empirical-rational sense. The onus is on you to prove it is real in the empirical-rational sense.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Spectrum wrote:An absolute perfect God [monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, etc] is merely an idea which is illusory and I have proven it is impossible to be real in the empirical-rational sense. The onus is on you to prove it is real in the empirical-rational sense.
This is getting boring.
You have proven/demonstrated nothing, nor have you managed to refute anything that I have offered.
No wonder, I come from experience/Knowledge and you come from imagination/ignorance.
And your emotionally, psychologically based/biased 'logic' fails completely!
Demanding that a transcendental unconditional all inclusive 'Truth' completely fit into the miniscularity of your conditional ignorant thoughts/ego is absurd.
Have a nice day.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Namelesss wrote:
Greta wrote: If the universe is in a multiverse...
It is not, by definition!
Uni- = One! All is One!
One means ALL INCLUSIVE!
The 'multiverse' theory violates Occam's razor and is an ignorant statement that they are clueless, so, add a few more Universes to compensate for what they cannot explain!
Rather pathetic!
One (unchanging, ALL inclusive Universe. Irrefutable! *__-
How many times have we all seen people say online:

"If you think x then are y (or a z)"? I used to do it myself. "If you think differently to me, I will not check what you mean but judge you to be " clueless", "ignorant" and "pathetic" - unless you immediately submit to my beliefs".

It's just minor league bullying, without substance. Noise. I fear no insults from you or anyone else because you lucked out and I am indeed a rather clueless, ignorant and pathetic woman :lol: hence my presence on philosophy forums rather than philosophy departments. Still, I'm sure we can all do much better than pointless ad hominem attacks. We can leave that other forums and social media.

My point was that there is another layer beyond just applying etymology (I took Latin too), because what we refer to as "the universe" is only an assumption - an assumption that this particular cluster of galactic superclusters is the sum total of reality.

Who is to say there are not incredible voids between what we call "the universe" and other "universes" (which in that case would actually be a megacluster of galactic megaclusters, although in subjective terms they could perhaps be thought of as universes)? Perhaps the idea that our mega megacluster is the only one is naive? A century ago we believed that the Milky Way comprised most of the "universe", with just some random scattered stars around us. Meanwhile the ancients believed the Earth to be the centre of the universe.

Ditto perhaps the notion of "knowing God"? Maybe that's akin to our gut microbes knowing us as a person? It's a balancing act between having the confidence to push forward with ideas but the humility to accept that it may be futile.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote:An absolute perfect God [monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, etc] is merely an idea which is illusory and I have proven it is impossible to be real in the empirical-rational sense. The onus is on you to prove it is real in the empirical-rational sense.
This is getting boring.
You have proven/demonstrated nothing, nor have you managed to refute anything that I have offered.
No wonder, I come from experience/Knowledge and you come from imagination/ignorance.
And your emotionally, psychologically based/biased 'logic' fails completely!
Demanding that a transcendental unconditional all inclusive 'Truth' completely fit into the miniscularity of your conditional ignorant thoughts/ego is absurd.
Have a nice day.
First it is impossible for you to prove your pantheistic God is real from the empirical-rational basis. If so bring verifiable and justifiable evidence to prove it.

When you claim an all-inclusive God, you are faced with various dilemma.
As I had pointed out, there is the moral question, you can't have a God that is a child-molestor and omni-evil.

When you claim, your God is ALL-there-IS, you have a problem of impossibility of verifiability as there is no vantage point to stand out to obtain an objective view of your so-called God. The only perspective is that from your own subjective self which is vulnerable to the selfish ego.

So, all you have is a groundless thought-based idea.
This thought-based-idea is void of any empirical elements, thus an impossibility to be real within empirical-rational reality.
The only tenable explanation to such a thought is, it is driven by existential psychological impulses.

I used to lean on the idea of Brahman - the all inclusive.
I soon learn of all the opposing points above against the idea of Brahman.
To clue you in, note the paradigm shifting view of Buddhism in countering the idea of Brahman with the concept of Sunyata.

In Buddhism, the philosophy direct one's attention inward to one own self to manage the internal ego rather than diluting one's attention to something out there.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Spectrum wrote:As I had pointed out, there is the moral question, you can't have a God that is a child-molestor and omni-evil.
What about a developing deity, which at this early stage of the universe's growth still contains significant amounts of chaos?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Greta wrote:
Spectrum wrote:As I had pointed out, there is the moral question, you can't have a God that is a child-molestor and omni-evil.
What about a developing deity, which at this early stage of the universe's growth still contains significant amounts of chaos?
That is the point why there is no God in the first place.
For every attempt to justify God existence, theists will be cornered with a dilemma in relation to reality because God was and is never real in the first place.

Theists will give all sorts of excuses, e.g. the Universe was completed within 7 days, so there is no transitory chaos. If there is evil, then it is a test by God. Why??? .. Only God knows.

God is an impossibility to be real within empirical-rational reality.
What is real is the existential psychological impulses that drive [subliminally] the desperate to cling to an idea of God which does work to soothe the existential angst.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Spectrum wrote:
Greta wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Using this logic, if we did not exist before fertilisation, then that demonstrates that we don't exist.

There may be more to reality than we realise, possibly some seemingly far fetched things. Not an anthropomorphic deity, obviously, but perhaps something more akin to the notions of more sophisticated believers ... the ground of being ... whatever.

You will not convince if you make assumptions about the ultimate nature of reality that we cannot possibly rationally make with the information we have today. For all we know, God is not existent now but may emerge later in the universe's life.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Greta wrote:
Spectrum wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Using this logic, if we did not exist before fertilisation, then that demonstrates that we don't exist.

There may be more to reality than we realise, possibly some seemingly far fetched things. Not an anthropomorphic deity, obviously, but perhaps something more akin to the notions of more sophisticated believers ... the ground of being ... whatever.

You will not convince if you make assumptions about the ultimate nature of reality that we cannot possibly rationally make with the information we have today. For all we know, God is not existent now but may emerge later in the universe's life.
Here is a interesting take from Russell which compare the secular and theological sense of reality and why we need to be philosophical rather than theological; i.e.
  • 1. The known - scientific and others
    2. The No-man's land - philosophy
    3. The certain reality of the theologian -God.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Philosophy, as I shall understand the word, is something intermediate between theology and science. Like theology, it consists of speculations on matters as to which definite knowledge has, so far, been unascertainable; but like science, it appeals to human reason rather than to authority, whether that of tradition or that of revelation.

All definite knowledge – so I should contend – belongs to science; all dogmas as to what surpasses definite knowledge belongs to theology. But between theology and science there is a No Man’s Land, exposed to attack from both sides, and this No Man’s Land is philosophy. Almost all the questions of most interest to speculative minds are such as science cannot answer, and the confident answers of theologians no longer seem so convincing as they did in former centuries.

Is the world divided into mind and matter, and, if so, what is mind and what is matter? Is mind subject to matter, or is it possessed of independent powers? Has the universe any unity or purpose? Is it evolving towards some goal? Are there really laws of nature, or do we believe in them only because of our innate love of order? Is man what he seems to the astronomer, a tiny lump of impure carbon and water impotently crawling on a small and unimportant planet? Or is he what he appears to Hamlet? Is he perhaps both at once? Is there a way of living that is noble and another that is base, or are all ways of living merely futile? Must the good be eternal in order to deserve to be valued, or it is it worth seeking even if the universe is inexorably moving towards death? Is there such a thing as wisdom, or is what seems such merely the ultimate refinement of folly?

To such questions no answer can be found in the laboratory. Theologies have professed to give answers, all too definite; but their very definiteness causes modern minds to view them with suspicion. The studying of these questions, if not the answering of them, is the business of philosophy.
You will note I am not making anything definite with reality.

What I have done is being definite that theology cannot be definite, i.e. simply declare they are 100% certain God exists are real.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Spectrum wrote:You will note I am not making anything definite with reality.

What I have done is being definite that theology cannot be definite, i.e. simply declare they are 100% certain God exists are real.
I agree with this entirely. My only quibble is ever with perceived certainty with these things.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream