Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Dark Matter » January 27th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 8:16 pm

It's sometimes best to take the things you read in the news about distant lands with a pinch of salt. My favourite was Steven Emerson of Fox News and his "Birmingham is a Muslims-only city" comments. On the plus side (for Brummies) it's probably put Trump off going there.
Well, I’m not about to call my Swedish neighbors liars.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 28th, 2018, 3:21 am

Dark Matter wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Greta:

I already addressed the first part in my response to Lucky. As for the second part, I think this says it all
I don't know your response to Lucky. I can't read everything here.

The nature of demonstrations mean nothing and you know it. That is just gaming - useful for rhetorical and propagandist purposes but says NOTHING about the deeper issue of whether women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates. This devaluing of women is to be expected in all societies to some extent, given that in much of the world women are less valued than farm animals.

Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter » January 28th, 2018, 3:42 am

Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 3:21 am
Dark Matter wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Greta:

I already addressed the first part in my response to Lucky. As for the second part, I think this says it all

The nature of demonstrations mean nothing and you know it. That is just gaming - useful for rhetorical and propagandist purposes but says NOTHING about the deeper issue of whether women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates. This devaluing of women is to be expected in all societies to some extent, given that in much of the world women are less valued than farm animals.
The issue is their respective temperaments, not whether "women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates." Am I to suppose vulgarity and threatening violence is your idea of how civilized people should behave? What I am suggesting is that the Women's March is a display of how secularism corrupts values.

Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 » January 28th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Dark Matter:
The issue is their respective temperaments …
Temperament is extremely important. One precipitating factor of the first Women’s March is the temperament of the President. This time around, the temperament of Congress, their spinelessness and hypocrisy was also a factor.
What I am suggesting is that the Women's March is a display of how secularism corrupts values.
The Women’s March is symptomatic of a society that no longer has cohesive values. Those who wish to preserve particular values will always see change as corruption and will always find scapegoats.

Secularism does not corrupt values, it devalues values that claim to be unassailable because they come from on high.

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » January 28th, 2018, 1:15 pm

And yet for all the corruption of secularism we live in the most peaceful, longest life span, best standard of living era of all time which compares pretty favourably with non secular society in the rest of the world.
In fact life is so good that the worst thing we can say about our enemies is that they are messy and say mean things. And then we can cherry pick a YouTube video because it's well know that not a single anti abortion activist ever said a mean thing in their lives.

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 28th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Dark Matter wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 3:42 am
Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 3:21 am

The issue is their respective temperaments, not whether "women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates." Am I to suppose vulgarity and threatening violence is your idea of how civilized people should behave? What I am suggesting is that the Women's March is a display of how secularism corrupts values.
This is just game playing again. The ONLY significant moral issue is whether "women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates", not the behaviour of lobbyists.

Can you not tell the difference between social rules and natural laws?

Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter » January 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Dark Matter wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 3:42 am

This is just game playing again. The ONLY significant moral issue is whether "women are more important than what are effectively microbes and invertebrates", not the behaviour of lobbyists.

Law is life itself, not the rules of its conduct (or lack thereof).

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 28th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Dark Matter wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm
Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Law is not life itself but a part of it, a social construction decided upon by influential members of a society.

It's pointless to point to a few demonstrations over some tiny period - and without the context of significant aggravation - and point to that as evidence that secular humanitarian movements over centuries, even millennia are inherently bad.

Otherwise people might start associating you with those who bomb abortion clinics.

Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter » January 28th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:50 pm
Dark Matter wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Law is not life itself but a part of it, a social construction decided upon by influential members of a society.
I guess I'm just not as anthropocentric as some people. 8)

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » January 29th, 2018, 12:03 am

Dark Matter wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 11:52 pm
Greta wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:50 pm
I guess I'm just not as anthropocentric as some people. 8)
I was effectively saying that your view was anthropocentric, that the law is only a small subset of larger wholes not an absolute.