Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?

Post by Eduk »

Really Dark Matter? Can you not engage even the tiniest amount? Would it really be so bad?
Fires spread, or can spread. I have a wife and child, do they deserve to suffer needlessly just because I have a religious belief? Then there is poor me, would you really be so heartless as to allow me to willfully damage myself without even some small effort to prevent that?
Not to mention that I have the religious view that all people with religious views should be forced to oppose those views (including my religious view, infinitely).
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Eduk wrote: January 26th, 2018, 7:56 pm Really Dark Matter? Can you not engage even the tiniest amount? Would it really be so bad?
Fires spread, or can spread. I have a wife and child, do they deserve to suffer needlessly just because I have a religious belief? Then there is poor me, would you really be so heartless as to allow me to willfully damage myself without even some small effort to prevent that?
Separation of church and state, remember? It's your choice, your (poor) judgment. And if the fire starts on your property and spreads to other properties, it's on you.
Not to mention that I have the religious view that all people with religious views should be forced to oppose those views (including my religious view, infinitely).
This seems to be a rather popular religion nowadays.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Look, I may be using a 2x4 across the side of the head, but I'm not intentionally being mean-spirited. Beliefs have consequences. It is what one believes rather than what one "knows" that determines conduct and dominates personal performances. Again, take for example the recent Women's March and March for Life. The former was hate-filled and vulgar; the latter was relatively ordered and much more disciplined. Why? What is the underlying reason for this huge difference in behavior?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Cool, I guess the Berniebots and pacifists get to decrease their Federal taxes by 16% since they don't believe in military spending. Of course Dark Matter can withhold one hundredth of one percent of the 28% of their taxes that fund abortions, or 28 thousandths of one percent.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Spectrum wrote:
we have no choice but to tolerate religions [even the worst ones] at present but we must start to critique religions [especially evil laden theistic religions] at present and strive to find effective non-religious replacements which theists can accept voluntarily.
I agree, although I'd not phrase it as "accept voluntarily". Too passive in its implication. I'd rather say former theists become more independent of pre-established creeds.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:37 am Cool, I guess the Berniebots and pacifists get to decrease their Federal taxes by 16% since they don't believe in military spending. Of course Dark Matter can withhold one hundredth of one percent of the 28% of their taxes that fund abortions, or 28 thousandths of one percent.
Thank you. That illustrates my point. A society has the right, indeed the obligation, to establish standards that are applicable to everyone. As Spock would say, “ The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.” Egalitarianism is the biggest fraud ever perpetuated on man by man.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Dark Matter wrote with referrence to my claim that religions are social institutions:
I don't see how they can be separated. Ideally, the ultimate concern of religion is the harmonization of truth, goodness, and beauty; the sociableness of like-minded individuals is the fallout.

Maybe, although some religions have been shown to be self-serving institutions as happens sometimes even with charitable foundations. For instance the RC Church has been complicit in covering up institutional child abuse. However, I do agree that many if not not most members of congregations are innocent of mal-use of power and attend their church for fellowship with others who follow truth, goodness, and beauty.

The problem of consorting with followers of a pre-set creed is that the individual is overruled by the collective.

Not the collective, but the individual, is where reason is to be found. The collective, in this particular case the congregation, is more easily swayed by common need to conform and reason is too much overlooked.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Belindi wrote: January 27th, 2018, 4:47 am Spectrum wrote:
we have no choice but to tolerate religions [even the worst ones] at present but we must start to critique religions [especially evil laden theistic religions] at present and strive to find effective non-religious replacements which theists can accept voluntarily.
I agree, although I'd not phrase it as "accept voluntarily". Too passive in its implication. I'd rather say former theists become more independent of pre-established creeds.
I didn’t see Spectrum’s comment, probably because I’m tired of the same old tirade. While it may sound good, it’s irrational even buy his own standards. Spectrum insists that religion comes as natural to human beings as breathing, sex, or eating. It follows that his ultimate goal is to dehumanize humans.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Belindi wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:00 am
The problem of consorting with followers of a pre-set creed is that the individual is overruled by the collective.

Not the collective, but the individual, is where reason is to be found. The collective, in this particular case the congregation, is more easily swayed by common need to conform and reason is too much overlooked.
I agree, but I would add that the individual is also where religion Is to found. It is better to have a religion without a church then a church without a religion.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Dark Matter wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:14 am It is better to have a religion without a church then a church without a religion.
I couldn't disagree more. If both were to disappear, I would miss the churches much more than the religion, our landscape would be poorer without the churches. I mean in the UK, of course, I can't speak for the US.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Dark Matter wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:14 am
Belindi wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:00 am

I agree, but I would add that the individual is also where religion Is to found. It is better to have a religion without a church then a church without a religion.
As Albert Tatlock's post (above ) illustrates 'church' can mean a pleasant antique building which is an ornament to many a village, town and city.
'Church' also means a body of people who follow one creed. Please compare 'university' which is similar in its two meanings.
According to the definition of a church as a body of people who all follow the same creed you cannot have a religion without a 'church' .

Albert Tatlock's illustration of what 'church' means shows how you can have a church building without a religion; many nice old church buildings in the UK are desanctified and used as shops, stores, or residences, usually with strict building control regulations.

Religious behaviour applies to individuals, certainly. However insofar as it applies to individuals it applies to collectives of individuals. The individuals in the case of credal religions are behaving very much as components of a collective, in this case their church. Peers together with the authority of the priest do tend to submerge individuality.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

What are the alternatives to Egalitarianism dark matter?
For example one person one vote (with some exceptions) is an egalitarian policy.
Now in an ideal world only my vote would count and we could welcome an era of peace and prosperity and fairness. But in an imperfect world only your vote would count and we would welcome back the dark ages.
I mean perhaps my point isn't plain enough. I agree not everyone is equal. But how do we sort out those who we would benefit from allowing to vote and those who do harm by allowing to vote.
In essence if either your vote was the only that counted or my vote was the only that counted how would we prove who should get to count? And would you be content if I got the nod?
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote: January 26th, 2018, 11:35 am
Greta wrote: January 25th, 2018, 12:26 am
You are overreacting, Dark (may I call you Dark after all this time? lol). Separation of church and state was simply one of their policies and I can't see a problem with that. Of course there should be separation of church and state, and attempts by religions to increase their influence should logically be resisted for the sake of fairness to the general public, many of whom are not religious.
Separation of church and state is fine — up to a point. Freedom of religion is one thing; freedom from religion is quite another. Is forcing people to do things that they are religiously opposed to? Like forcing them as taxpayers to pay for abortions or celebrate gay “marriages”?
Is that like forcing taxpayers to fund religion's lobbying and social activities? Or like forcing single people to fund family payments? Or forcing the rich to help the poor?

The legality of gay MARRIAGES was overdue and I am surprised that you would have such a retrograde attitude towards them - and towards abortions. Surely you, a smart and educated man, understand that early stage foetuses are not human but potential humans (as is each sperm and egg), and not even nearly as sensate and sentient as the animals we routinely kill to eat.

Dark Matter wrote:If I was interested in sanity, I wouldn't be here. :twisted:
:lol: point taken ... but nonetheless, I am a fan of veneers of civility, not because it's ideal, but it is preferable to the alternative - losing that veneer. As I say, people ideally wouldn't need that thin protective layer of civility but it's been key to the functionality of societies thus far. Lose the veneer and you lose cooperation and functionality.
Did you see any difference between the recent Women’s March (representative of the secular mindset) and the March for Life (representative of the religious mindset)?[/quote]

A massive difference. The latter group places the lives of what are effectively invertebrate organisms ahead of those of adult women. The Right to Life Movement is rooted in old patriarchies, where the value of women was often less than that of a farm animal. This flow on from old patriarchal society is entirely about the need for men to control women, even to the point of controlling their bodies and associated reproduction.

There is little care about the lives of foetuses in so called Right to Life movements; they are really about controlling women. This is evidenced by such lobbyists routinely supporting inhumane social policies and religious wars - hardly supportive of "life".
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta:

I already addressed the first part in my response to Lucky. As for the second part, I think this says it all:
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dark Matter wrote:Time will tell! 8) In the meantime, the much-vaunted secular societies of Europe are being overwhelmed by a much more primitive culture energized by religion. But, hey, if you can't see the gathering storm the best I can do is wish you luck.
It's sometimes best to take the things you read in the news about distant lands with a pinch of salt. My favourite was Steven Emerson of Fox News and his "Birmingham is a Muslims-only city" comments. On the plus side (for Brummies) it's probably put Trump off going there.
Dark Matter wrote:It is better to have a religion without a church then a church without a religion.
Albert Tatlock wrote:I couldn't disagree more. If both were to disappear, I would miss the churches much more than the religion, our landscape would be poorer without the churches. I mean in the UK, of course, I can't speak for the US.
I agree with your disagreement. I love old village churches while not being a Christian in the same sense that I admire stonehenge while not being a druid.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream