What is the Purpose of the Bible?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Namelesss

Re: What is the Purpose of the Bible?

Post by Namelesss »

Belindi wrote: March 31st, 2018, 6:26 am Nameless, within the confines of idealist (immaterialist) monism you are right. Materialism is not so much dead as that it has been relegated to co-exist with idealism (immaterialism).
Only in the sense that they are both theories.
They cannot both be 'true'.
Materialism says that the brain manufactures Consciousness/Thought.There is simply no evidence, and evidence to the contrary.
Regarding free will our differences of opinion depend upon what you mean by 'free will' .

The only 'free-will/choice' of which I am cognizant is the 'feeling' (feelings are thought) that we make 'choices'. The making of unfettered choices requires 'free-will'.
All exist within ego/thought.
Mirages.
I certainly don't believe in it.
I believe in determinism so I don't believe that what happened could be otherwise than it was.

Can we bring this into the Reality of Here! Now!?;
What IS (happenING) can never be otherwise than it Is!
And if THAT is true, then 'motion' (the whole '-ing' thing) is impossible!
However the possibilities of human imagination are so creative that we do as a matter of fact feel like we have free will. It's the idea that will has a substantial correlate that's wrong.
'Free', no more than a feeling
'will', a vain feeling that one 'causes to happen' according to desires.
'choice', another feeling/thought.

'Substantial correlate'? Are you referring to the dream? *__-
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Belindi wrote: March 31st, 2018, 6:26 am Nameless, within the confines of idealist (immaterialist) monism you are right.
Within the confines of Reality, science, logic, philosophy...
Monism has no 'confines'.

“Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” - Rumi
Once you have discovered that the barrier is ego consciousness you have to have faith in love despite ego consciousness: not declare that ego-consciousness is delusionary.
Ego/duality/thought is the 'mirage' that obscures unconditional Love for the seeker.
It is fair to point out distractions and barriers on the 'path' to those following.
'Faith' is an unconditional Virtue of unconditional Love.
By these Virtues, we can recognize Love!
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 6:02 am
Belindi wrote: March 31st, 2018, 5:28 am Nemless wrote:
Perspectives pertain to living entities that have nervous systems.
No, they don't.
Well, in your opinion, I guess.
Nervous systems have nothing to do with it any more than the flow of a river has any effect on the electrons within the water molecules.
Perspective more or less pertains to vision, as to have a point of view, but it's hard to say what a plant might perceive. The flow of a river though has direct impact on the electrons of the water molecule by bringing the molecule into different energy states (H3O2.)
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 6:45 am
I believe in determinism so I don't believe that what happened could be otherwise than it was.

"What is" is a result of our choices and it can be changed by our choices.
However the possibilities of human imagination are so creative that we do as a matter of fact feel like we have free will. It's the idea that will has a substantial correlate that's wrong.
'Free', no more than a feeling
'will', a vain feeling that one 'causes to happen' according to desires.
'choice', another feeling/thought.

'Substantial correlate'? Are you referring to the dream? *__-
Is disease a condition that can or not be prevented? Well, it's proven that most disease occurs when things enter the body that aren't supposed to. In the case of chronic disease, the condition arises from a state of body known as "leaky gut" which is caused by our diet. So.. it seem that the food we eat has a direct impact on our state of health. So.. choice in food is important.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:51 am
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 6:02 am
No, they don't.
Well, in your opinion, I guess.
Nervous systems have nothing to do with it any more than the flow of a river has any effect on the electrons within the water molecules.
Perspective more or less pertains to vision, as to have a point of view, but it's hard to say what a plant might perceive.

Less than more. Much less.
The flow of a river though has direct impact on the electrons of the water molecule by bringing the molecule into different energy states

Nonsense.
(H3O2.)
More nonsense.
'Magic water'!? Are these sites where you learn your 'science'?
Why not attempt to understand the metaphor offered rather than just niggling at it?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 12:15 pm

"What is" is a result of our choices and it can be changed by our choices.
Oh really? Feel free to 'change' any moment of Universal existence via your vain 'choices'?
No moment, EVER, has ever been 'otherwise/changed'!
Ever!
Nor can you change what is, at any moment, into what you vainly desire, by your 'will', or otherwise.
What is ALWAYS is what is!
No evidence at all to even suggest otherwise other than your vain egoic hallucinations.
Is disease a condition that can or not be prevented?

Not anything that 'is' can be 'prevented'. Reality cannot be 'prevented' or altered by your vain (yeah, I know that I use that appropriate word often) 'efforts'.
Not anything that is can ever be otherwise.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:17 pm
jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:51 am Perspective more or less pertains to vision, as to have a point of view, but it's hard to say what a plant might perceive.
Less than more. Much less.
Well, now I know.
The flow of a river though has direct impact on the electrons of the water molecule by bringing the molecule into different energy states
Nonsense.
Nope, that's how it works.
(H3O2.)
More nonsense.
'Magic water'!? Are these sites where you learn your 'science'?
Why not attempt to understand the metaphor offered rather than just niggling at it?
Umm, Gerald Pollack is a well respected professor. If that's your opinion of him after watching the video then I think you're a poor judge of character
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm
jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 12:15 pm "What is" is a result of our choices and it can be changed by our choices.
Oh really? Feel free to 'change' any moment of Universal existence via your vain 'choices'?
Ok.. I dare ya. Find the darkest city alley and walk down it.
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm No moment, EVER, has ever been 'otherwise/changed'!
Ever!
Nor can you change what is, at any moment, into what you vainly desire, by your 'will', or otherwise.
No evidence at all to even suggest otherwise other than your vain egoic hallucinations.
Don't flush your toilet for one week and then flush.
Is disease a condition that can or not be prevented?
Not anything that 'is' can be 'prevented'. Reality cannot be 'prevented' or altered by your vain (yeah, I know that I use that appropriate word often) 'efforts'.
I think you simply chose not to test your own hypothesis.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:02 pm
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:17 pm Nonsense.
Nope, that's how it works.
Have you ever taken a science course?
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:17 pm More nonsense.
'Magic water'!? Are these the sites where you learn your 'science'?
Umm, Gerald Pollack is a well respected professor. If that's your opinion of him after watching the video then I think you're a poor judge of character
Umm, I don't learn science from crackpots, no matter the entertainment value, or how he might validate my biases and belief infection.
I have no need to judge 'character', all I need to evaluate are his thoughts.

Michio Kaku is an entertainer/physicist, but when he starts talking about his 'magic water' responding to and changing crystalline structure because of happy and nasty words printed on a label on the bottle before freezing, we then enter the crackpot world.

EZ-Water - Fraud or breakthrough?

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... eakthrough

"Recently the quack medicine folks online have been promoting the research of a certain Dr. Gerald Pollack who claims to have discovered a "forth phase of water", and who has recently published a book on the said topic.

Although it's clear that his research is being deliberately misinterpreted, it's not clear to me whether or not his own claims are valid in the first place. Although some papers on the topic were published in peer reviewed journals, it doesn't seem like anyone else in the scientific community has acknowledged or replicated his results..."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:33 pm

Your 'dare' is utterly irrelevant!
So far I can only see four possibilities;
1) I am incapable of elucidating my thoughts, so that you are able to understand them.
2) You are being deliberately obtuse.
3) You have no intention of even making an honest attempt to understand what I am offering (symptomatic of the ravages of a belief infection), and deliberately wasting my generous time.
4) You lack the capability of understanding.
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm No moment, EVER, has ever been 'otherwise/changed'!
Ever!
I despair any rational continuation of this discussion.
I think you simply chose not to test your own hypothesis.[/quote]
Did you word it like that just to be a smartasss? I'm unimpressed, greatly!
I think that if you can find a single example to refute what I say, then I will prostrate before your Universal Knowledge and Godlike power!
One cannot test an impossibility!
Go test whether dragons can fly with their tiny purple wings, or do you simply 'choose' not to?!
Next time that you fart, change that flatus into an ice cream cone by your 'will'! Go back in time and make that 'change'.

This conversation has become an exercise in futility and absurdity, for me, anyway.
Are we done here, yet?
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: April 1st, 2018, 4:56 am
Umm, I don't learn science from crackpots, no matter the entertainment value, or how he might validate my biases and belief infection.
I have no need to judge 'character', all I need to evaluate are his thoughts.

Michio Kaku is an entertainer/physicist, but when he starts talking about his 'magic water' responding to and changing crystalline structure because of happy and nasty words printed on a label on the bottle before freezing, we then enter the crackpot world.

EZ-Water - Fraud or breakthrough?

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... eakthrough
Read carefully through this discussion and you'll see how void it really is. The critique largely addresses ionized water and not the phenomena Gerald Pollock defines as "exclusion zone."
Namelesss wrote: April 1st, 2018, 4:56 am "Recently the quack medicine folks online have been promoting the research of a certain Dr. Gerald Pollack who claims to have discovered a "forth phase of water", and who has recently published a book on the said topic.

Although it's clear that his research is being deliberately misinterpreted, it's not clear to me whether or not his own claims are valid in the first place. Although some papers on the topic were published in peer reviewed journals, it doesn't seem like anyone else in the scientific community has acknowledged or replicated his results..."
Difficult battle here for me to fight so to begin with I'll offer two published works (exhibit A and exhibit B) listed from his website and then a review of his book "the fourth phase of water."

Now, to try and explain the backlash his research is receiving I think first I should state to the best of my knowledge Gerald Pollock is not personally capitalizing from any enterprise involved in the sales of "structured water" pertaining to health. So, I see the resistance similar to the "anti" anti-vaccine campaign. It represents a paradigm shift full of economic implications.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: April 1st, 2018, 5:17 am
jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:33 pm

1) I am incapable of elucidating my thoughts, so that you are able to understand them.
3) You have no intention of even making an honest attempt to understand what I am offering (symptomatic of the ravages of a belief infection), and deliberately wasting my generous time.
I fully understand your position. We live in the present and have no way proving if what we do is anything other than some predetermined course.
I despair any rational continuation of this discussion.
I really wish you'd try at least just this one experiment.
jerlands wrote: March 31st, 2018, 10:33 pm I think you simply chose not to test your own hypothesis.
Did you word it like that just to be a smartasss? I'm unimpressed, greatly!
I think that if you can find a single example to refute what I say, then I will prostrate before your Universal Knowledge and Godlike power!
One cannot test an impossibility!
Go test whether dragons can fly with their tiny purple wings, or do you simply 'choose' not to?!
Next time that you fart, change that flatus into an ice cream cone by your 'will'! Go back in time and make that 'change'.

This conversation has become an exercise in futility and absurdity, for me, anyway.
Are we done here, yet?
Not yet. I see you as evasive and irrelevant with your flatulence and purple wings. Your attempt to justify crime as part of God's plan is very telling.
jerlands

Post by jerlands »

Namelesss wrote: April 1st, 2018, 4:56 am Although it's clear that his research is being deliberately misinterpreted, it's not clear to me whether or not his own claims are valid in the first place. Although some papers on the topic were published in peer reviewed journals, it doesn't seem like anyone else in the scientific community has acknowledged or replicated his results..."
I wanted to address this statement independently. Why isn't anyone else pursuing interest in EZ water? The potential Gerald Pollack is following for EZ water is water filtration and power generation both of which appear to be fully patented. This more or less restricts commercial interest to work through him one way or another.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

jerlands wrote: April 1st, 2018, 9:02 am
I fully understand your position. We live in the present and have no way proving if what we do is anything other than some predetermined course.
No, you don't.
A) All (t)here is is the Present, Here! Now!
B) And there is no way of ever demonstrating that one can 'change' Now! from this Now into something else. Change that stove burn moment into a peaceful nap, for instance.
Is Now! a 'predetermined course'?
If so, than all Nows are what they are, UNCHANGING!
Which is how the bible describes God, unchanging.
You must be a greater God to be able to 'change' yourself at 'will'.
Thus the sin (only sin) of Pride. *__-
Namelesss wrote: March 31st, 2018, 9:25 pm Not anything that 'is' can be 'prevented'. Reality cannot be 'prevented' or altered by your vain (yeah, I know that I use that appropriate word often) 'efforts'.
Not yet. I see you as evasive and irrelevant with your flatulence and purple wings.

I see you as incapable of (or unwilling to) understanding analogy or metaphor.
So, ignore it.
(And no wonder that you are confused about the bible (remember the bible?) as it is all analogy and metaphor.)
Your attempt to justify crime as part of God's plan is very telling.
That you sit here babbling about 'God's Plan" (tm) (like you are in church, rather than having a logical discussion) to justify your sin is also very telling.
We were not talking about any 'plan'.
If your 'God' is so anthropomorphized as to be imbued with a 'plan', and there is that which has the ability to violate this 'Plan', then he must be a pretty pathetic and sadistic (not to mention infantile and petty) 'god'!
And We Are!
That is what Omni- means, ALL inclusive! *__-

(Funny how, without experience/Knowledge, we make our 'god' in our own image.)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Nameless, you think that materialism and immaterialism(idealism) cannot both be true. I think that they can both be true.

Consider the duck/rabbit and the young woman/hag psychological experiments.

Each of these is a line drawing which is open to any interpretation under the sun. It so happens that ducks, rabbits, young women, and hags are common images so we all tend to see one or the other of those images and not two headed dogs or weeping skulls. So within our accustomed range of images we can comfortably see 1. the duck and the rabbit and 2. the young woman and the hag alternately. Yet the marks on the paper don't change.

This discussion should be about how we interpret.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream