Who Is God?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Fooloso4

Re: Who Is God?

Post by Fooloso4 »

Belindi:
I think you have to take eternal values more seriously. Eternal values depend upon eternity which is that those values(and everything else, the fall of the sparrow, each terrible conflict, every kind word, the nucleated plasma, and so on) were always going to happen; God had all these events up his sleeve so to speak.
Egads! OMG!! By the (mad old) dog (lady)!!!

Belindi, I think values are man made, and I am sure we will have a civil discussion of our differences, just as we have in the past. How is that possible?

Are values given to us or do we play a role in what is of value to us? Do you think of God as the giver of the moral law?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fooloso4 wrote:
Are values given to us or do we play a role in what is of value to us? Do you think of God as the giver of the moral law?
You and | and Greta, Foolosof, agree, I do believe ,that values are man-made. It would be very nice of anthropologists could discover just one value that is common to every culture of belief, but I don't think it has ever been done.
Gods are symbols of the moral law including the god confusingly named God.

I do believe in eternity although of course I have no evidence of it. My belief in eternity doesn't imply that there is life after death or any other sort of immortality.

My notion of what eternity is all about are mostly from Spinoza's Ethics. And a few works of art as analogies for eternity.

When I wrote "God had all these events up his sleeve so to speak" I said "so to speak" meaning that a lot of people conflate God- the-particular-being with eternity hence their notion of eternal values. The moral law is man made and there are no such things as eternal values.
I may owe you an apology for inadvertently clicking on the moderators' button. I really should be defrocked!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 5:42 am
Greta wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 2:38 amWhat doesn't make sense to me is the idea of intelligence amongst all that nucleated plasma. Maybe there was? I don't know, no one does, However, it does not appear to be the case. Rather, the universe has grown and developed in a way not miles from the way its inhabitants grow and develop. Nature extends far beyond our atmosphere.

Then again, I'm a bit of a m̶a̶d̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶g̶ ̶l̶a̶d̶y̶ panvitalist so the idea of a cold and dead cosmos may just be our perspective within emerging living systems. At this stage those systems have not shown any signs of intelligence or consciousness (away from the Earth) but that too may be a perspective effect due to the relatively tiny scale of our explorations so far, along with our situation on the inside.
I think you have to take eternal values more seriously. Eternal values depend upon eternity which is that those values(and everything else, the fall of the sparrow, each terrible conflict, every kind word, the nucleated plasma, and so on) were always going to happen; God had all these events up his sleeve so to speak.

The weakness in most people's eternal values arguments is that they arrogantly specify the values exactly as if from an engineering blueprint that mentions every rivet.
Belinda, I think people should take panvitalism more seriously - but they don't. I'd take eternal values more seriously if:

1) someone could coherently explain how eternal values could exist amongst non sentient matter before the emergence of intelligent creatures, and;

2) if those who claim such values to be true did not respond more aggressively than is usual on forums. You would expect the opposite. If so-called eternal values have no positive effect on character - no increase in patience, understanding and goodwill - then what is the point?

Still, I don't discount the possibility of eternal values either for the same reason - no evidence one way or another. I have mentioned a few scenarios where entities that might be thought of as God may somewhat realistically be inserted into scientific gaps. Thus, I don't discount eternal values or many other claims, but I certainly won't take the idea seriously without at least one convincing explanation.

The irony of all this is that I would have no quibble at all with the people I have the most vigorous debates with online if they just qualified their views with "probably", "seemingly", "perhaps", "maybe", "possibly", and so on. My beef has always been with misplaced certainty, not the propositions themselves.

That people would rather fight and sweat than qualify their pet ideas and admit to uncertainty is telling in itself.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Greta:
I think people should take panvitalism more seriously
I think we are in the process of reconceptualizing terms such as life, consciousness, intelligence, thinking, and matter.

I like the idea of self-organizing or self-structuring matter. Admittedly there are problems with this but it seems to me that starting with the very things you are trying to explain via natural processes is cheating. There is no need to explain how matter creates life of consciousness if life and/or consciousness are fundamental. If life and consciousness are emergent properties of self-organization, then it seems right to say that it is an intelligent process, but not, of course, if we start with what humans do as the standard of intelligence. The intelligence of matter, which is the ability of matter to structure itself into higher and higher levels of order or intelligence, which is to say, the ability to do more and more, could be wholly mechanistic process, requiring neither consciousness or life.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fooloso4 wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 8:32 pm Greta:
I think people should take panvitalism more seriously
I think we are in the process of reconceptualizing terms such as life, consciousness, intelligence, thinking, and matter.

I like the idea of self-organizing or self-structuring matter. Admittedly there are problems with this but it seems to me that starting with the very things you are trying to explain via natural processes is cheating. There is no need to explain how matter creates life of consciousness if life and/or consciousness are fundamental. If life and consciousness are emergent properties of self-organization, then it seems right to say that it is an intelligent process, but not, of course, if we start with what humans do as the standard of intelligence. The intelligence of matter, which is the ability of matter to structure itself into higher and higher levels of order or intelligence, which is to say, the ability to do more and more, could be wholly mechanistic process, requiring neither consciousness or life.
If life is fundamental, I would still see reason to explain abiogenesis. If, as I've suggested, that the Earth and the cosmos are replete with living systems, that is not to deny biology's emergence. I also don't see any conflict between "life" and "mechanistic processes" - we are full of them.

So sure how "intelligent" self organisation is, noting that most life doesn't need to be intelligent, and is not. Thus, a panvitalist view carries no opinion about intelligence. Many things manifest over time but most do not persist. Thus we effectively have survival of the persistent rather than the intelligent, just that intelligence helps some species to persist.

It would not seem that intelligence is needed for increasingly persistent systematised entities to emerge from relative chaos, only probabilities and time. The emergences of reality seem "intelligent" but it's just been trial and error with subsequent natural selection (or probabilistic selection as regards non biological systems). The emergences would only be "intelligent" if they happened quickly, without endless prior "wrong" iterations. By the same token, it's not so intelligent to solve a Rublik's cube if it takes fifty years :)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fooloso4 wrote regarding panvitalism:
I like the idea of self-organizing or self-structuring matter.
Now I know what panvitalism is.I like it too. Greta wrote:
If life is fundamental, I would still see reason to explain abiogenesis. If, as I've suggested, that the Earth and the cosmos are replete with living systems, that is not to deny biology's emergence. I also don't see any conflict between "life" and "mechanistic processes" - we are full of them.
That makes sense to me too.

Greta, I repeat, I believe in eternity i.e. the eternal now. But I don't believe that values are a special category of eternity such that values have special everlasting ontic status. Values ,like political parties, are man- made ; some values are good in my opinion and other values are, in my opinion, not so good or downright bad.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Greta:
So sure how "intelligent" self organisation is, noting that most life doesn't need to be intelligent, and is not.

It would not seem that intelligence is needed for increasingly persistent systematised entities to emerge from relative chaos, only probabilities and time.
I am suggesting that the ability to systematize might be thought of as the minimal definition of intelligence. The structuring is active, and so, depending on what you define as “life” we may not be too far apart on this. If matter is self-structuring then probability enters not with structuring but with what structures are formed. Without the ability to structure itself, matter would be analogous to a pile of sand. Given an eternity I do not think the probability is greater than zero that it would form a universe.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 4th, 2018, 5:55 amGreta, I repeat, I believe in eternity i.e. the eternal now. But I don't believe that values are a special category of eternity such that values have special everlasting ontic status. Values ,like political parties, are man- made ; some values are good in my opinion and other values are, in my opinion, not so good or downright bad.
Yes, eternal values is an odd notion.

Re: the eternal now. I take it that includes when it's not perceived?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fooloso4 wrote: April 4th, 2018, 10:47 amGreta:
So sure how "intelligent" self organisation is, noting that most life doesn't need to be intelligent, and is not.

It would not seem that intelligence is needed for increasingly persistent systematised entities to emerge from relative chaos, only probabilities and time.
I am suggesting that the ability to systematize might be thought of as the minimal definition of intelligence. The structuring is active, and so, depending on what you define as “life” we may not be too far apart on this. If matter is self-structuring then probability enters not with structuring but with what structures are formed. Without the ability to structure itself, matter would be analogous to a pile of sand. Given an eternity I do not think the probability is greater than zero that it would form a universe.
I was going to babble on about how a pile of sand will eventually either structure itself into rocks and then other things (or be destroyed) over long enough time scales. I'd then pontificate about how the laws of physics prescribe limitations to what matter can do in a similar way as DNA does for biology, and how these limitations allow for emergence when thresholds are broken by repeated pressure. Etc etc. Maybe.

However, I'm thinking it might be more interesting to run with your idea. So let's consider systematisation as a possible form of proto-intelligence. I have long figured that chemicals display proto-personalities, which isn't wildly different conceptually. What might be the nature and qualities of this "fundamental intelligence" and how might it compare to ours? My first thought was the comparison between a bit and an operating system.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote:
That is very interesting. It was not perceived for most of the time that the universe has existed. I'd say that the time when there was no perception in the universe is also part of the eternal now , because times and change itself are not parts of eternity but pertain to the relative aspect of reality, although conceptualisations of times and change are part of eternity.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 4th, 2018, 8:25 pm Greta wrote:
That is very interesting. It was not perceived for most of the time that the universe has existed. I'd say that the time when there was no perception in the universe is also part of the eternal now , because times and change itself are not parts of eternity but pertain to the relative aspect of reality, although conceptualisations of times and change are part of eternity.
It makes sense to me. "Now" is also particular in that we can observe a star 100 light years' away now and observe its now 100 years ago.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote regarding my endorsing eternity:
"Now" is also particular in that we can observe a star 100 light years' away now and observe its now 100 years ago.
Thanks for that Greta I had not thought of that aspect of the relativity of this perspective which we know and inhabit. That grand example of cosmic relativity is not evidence for eternity, it's an enormous analogy of it. Such analogies feed the imagining of eternity. The only possibility for us to actually live and inhabit eternity is by way of mystical experiences and you know how these are not replicable for public scrutiny, I don't know why not. Maybe the focusing of attention that empirical experiments demand is incompatible with the sort of awareness that mystical experience is compatible with.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Belindi wrote: April 5th, 2018, 6:00 am Greta wrote regarding my endorsing eternity:
"Now" is also particular in that we can observe a star 100 light years' away now and observe its now 100 years ago.
Thanks for that Greta I had not thought of that aspect of the relativity of this perspective which we know and inhabit. That grand example of cosmic relativity is not evidence for eternity, it's an enormous analogy of it. Such analogies feed the imagining of eternity. The only possibility for us to actually live and inhabit eternity is by way of mystical experiences and you know how these are not replicable for public scrutiny, I don't know why not. Maybe the focusing of attention that empirical experiments demand is incompatible with the sort of awareness that mystical experience is compatible with.
Another thought that might undermine my last one :) ... because the time it takes for light to travel one way or another does not impact on the actual "now" that the aliens experience, only when we see it. So we might be sharing the same now but only able to perceive their nows a long way after the fact. Similarly, although less dramatically, as you know we cannot perceive the actual present, being always milliseconds behind due to the time it takes to process what's happening. If the purported God is the now, then that might account for Its elusiveness.

I think that strong experiences generally, not just peak ones, rely on being strongly absorbed in the present moment. Not so easy to be spontaneous and inspired when in a sterile laboratory being watched behind one-way glass. I expect that if an artist was to produce a painting in such an environment, it would seem unlikely to be her best work. I personally find it mentally tiring to try to focus on the present - it's much easier to keep drifting in a semi-dream state lost in pretty abstractions :) However, when we are in a flow state the (near-)present comes to us naturally.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Greta:
However, I'm thinking it might be more interesting to run with your idea.
That is the spirit in which I am proposing it. It may run aground or lead nowhere.
What might be the nature and qualities of this "fundamental intelligence" and how might it compare to ours?
It is the ability to self-organize, to form systems. Atoms are systems. The interaction of sub-atomic particles means that they are capable of forming atoms but I do not know if they are themselves systems. There are many orders of magnitude between the simplest intelligence and ours. At each level - atom, molecule, macromolecules, on up the system is capable of doing things the lower levels are not .
My first thought was the comparison between a bit and an operating system.
An operating system is a top down order. It uses bits as interchangeable “building blocks” that on their own cannot self-organize to form systems. Perhaps it is more like simple robots that combine to create more sophisticated robots that in turn combine ...
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Greta wrote:
I think that strong experiences generally, not just peak ones, rely on being strongly absorbed in the present moment.
Ah yes, being strongly absorbed in the present moment is the frame of mind that they call 'mindfulness meditation'. As I reply to you I'm strongly absorbed in replying clearly and thoughtfully as I can. I wonder what is the difference between my awareness when I write something philosophical, and when for instance what I did earlier today for instance when I looked closely at a horse chestnut bud to see how it was progressing, or for that matter when I was attending closely to a new recipe. Is it that being strongly absorbed in the present moment is attending to something that is actually and substantially present, whereas thinking something philosophical is jugggling ideas?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream