DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Post by Spectrum »

Here are evidence of clues to how the idea of God arose in the mind, not that God is a pre-existing thing waiting out there to be believed.
Here is an extract from a participant in the above experiment with his experiences of DMT:
There are many who take DMT [as with other substances] and reports they have experiences of God is various forms.

Thus it is likely the founders of theistic religions could have experiences of God via DMT or other chemicals that triggered them to have to experiences of a God.

The above support my thesis, the idea of God is most likely to have a psychological basis than being real within an empirical rational reality as claimed by theists.

Views?
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Spectrum

Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Post by Spectrum »

As a balance, note also;

DMT: Myths and Facts
Patricio Dominguez: A warning about DMT
DMT is a very interesting element and I suggest one to do extensive readings on this subject.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

So what? Is there a point?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dark Matter wrote: March 12th, 2018, 2:36 am So what? Is there a point?
Did you read this in the OP?

"Here are evidence of clues to how the idea of God arose in the mind, not that God is a pre-existing thing waiting out there to be believed."
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Spectrum wrote: March 12th, 2018, 2:48 am
Dark Matter wrote: March 12th, 2018, 2:36 am So what? Is there a point?
Did you read this in the OP?

"Here are evidence of clues to how the idea of God arose in the mind, not that God is a pre-existing thing waiting out there to be believed."
Did you watch the video? Do you pay any attention at all to what to others say?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dark Matter wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:11 am
Spectrum wrote: March 12th, 2018, 2:48 am Did you read this in the OP?

Did you watch the video? Do you pay any attention at all to what to others say?
I have watched the full video.

I am aware some are linking it to God, e.g. the Rabbi. Obviously I do not agree with that kind of view because I am confident God is illusory and an impossibility.

The critical point is we can trigger spiritual experiences and experiences of God chemically.

Since God is an illusion and an impossibility, thus what is claimed to be God can be reduced to physiology and elsewhere I have linked the idea of God to the existential crisis and psychology.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Seems to me you are trying awfully hard to convince yourself that “God is an illusion.” The only evidence you proffer is from between your ears.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dark Matter wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:28 am Seems to me you are trying awfully hard to convince yourself that “God is an illusion.” The only evidence you proffer is from between your ears.
There is no need for me to try hard at present.
I have already proven by reason 'God is an Impossibility'.
In this case, the question of God is a moot and a non-starter.

The above is merely one supporting evidence, I have loads of other evidences on why the idea of God is due to psychology than God as a prexisting being waiting for believers to believer in it.

Note my point in the OP,
There are many who take DMT [as with other substances] and reports they have experiences of God is various forms.
Thus it is likely the founders of theistic religions could have experiences of God via DMT or other chemicals that triggered them to have to experiences of a God
- and therefrom claim themselves to be an agent of God.
Those theists who believe in the founder of any theistic religion should consider this point.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Spectrum wrote: March 12th, 2018, 11:49 pm
Dark Matter wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:28 am Seems to me you are trying awfully hard to convince yourself that “God is an illusion.” The only evidence you proffer is from between your ears.
There is no need for me to try hard at present.
I have already proven by reason 'God is an Impossibility'.
Uh, yeah. Okay. :roll:
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

It does all seem a bit pointless Spectrum? I mean you aren't asking a question you are just making a statement. Are you expecting to engage anyone?
It reminds me of a Dawkins YouTube video I was watching where he said that we don't get our morals from religion and that all harm done in the name of religion is due to religion but all good done in the name of religion is just misapplied to religion.
Feels to me like you can't have it both ways. If people don't get morality from religion then they don't get morality from religion in my opinion.
Unknown means unknown.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Eduk wrote: March 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm It does all seem a bit pointless Spectrum? I mean you aren't asking a question you are just making a statement. Are you expecting to engage anyone?
It reminds me of a Dawkins YouTube video I was watching where he said that we don't get our morals from religion and that all harm done in the name of religion is due to religion but all good done in the name of religion is just misapplied to religion.
Feels to me like you can't have it both ways. If people don't get morality from religion then they don't get morality from religion in my opinion.
Note I made the following points in the OP.

Thus it is likely the founders of theistic religions could have experiences of God via DMT or other chemicals that triggered them to have to experiences of a God.

The above support my thesis, the idea of God is most likely to have a psychological basis than being real within an empirical rational reality as claimed by theists.
The above are serious claims, i.e. people like Jesus, Muhammad, and others who founded religions claimed to have contact with a real God who revealed to them divine messages, are most likely to be effected by chemicals or other mental issues.

This is a counter argument to the theists' claim that God is real and spoke to various messengers.

Thus I am expecting theists or anyone to defend their God is real rather than it is the idealization and reification of some person who had experienced an altered state of consciousness.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

You would expect that? If I wrote God is man made once then it's possible someone might reply to me. Unlikely to be usefully though but then I wouldn't have said anything useful either. If I wrote God is man made many many times then I would expect everyone to get bored.
Unknown means unknown.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Eduk wrote: March 16th, 2018, 4:38 am You would expect that? If I wrote God is man made once then it's possible someone might reply to me. Unlikely to be usefully though but then I wouldn't have said anything useful either. If I wrote God is man made many many times then I would expect everyone to get bored.
Some will get bored but not everyone because to many the term 'God' is very critical.

To many theists it is a matter of eternal life or eternal hell.

To others [non-Muslims] it is this;

God is man-made can be discussed from many perspectives.
This thread is a different perspective from the norm.

At present the evil prone Muslims as supported indirectly by the moderates are banging on imposing Sharia Laws on everyone everywhere and committing terrible evils and violence everywhere because to them God is real and commanding them to do so.
The purpose of such a thread is to drive into them the reality that their God is grounded on chemicals [like DMT, etc.] between their ears and not that God is a real thing.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream