What is Theism Reducible to?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

What is Theism Reducible to?

Post by Spectrum » March 13th, 2018, 12:16 am

If we look at 100% of all human thinking and acts we can reduce them to basic elements like;
  • 1. Basic survival - avoid premature death
    2. Sex - procreation - next generation
    3. Food - nutrition to facilitate survival
    4. Security
    5. Health
    6. Others ??
Consider the activities of grooming and looking nice.
While grooming may have secondary reasons, I don't think many can relate this to its ultimate root cause, i.e. producing the next generation via attraction of the opposite to get together and ultimately to have sex and produce the next generation.

It is the same with anything to do with food, the production of food, the ways food are prepared for consumption. At present there are abuses, but this is reducible to it original and still is re the intended function of nutrition and survival to produce to the next generation.

Now almost 90% of humans are theists believing in the common ideology of theism in manifesting is various forms of theism and theistic religions. Seemingly the theistic impulse is more critical and override even the sex and food impulses.

So what is theism and its forms are reducible to at the fundamental level?

Views.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: What is Theism Reducible to?

Post by Dark Matter » March 13th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Why do you ask questions whose answers you don’t want to hear?

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 13th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Hhmmm... your mind works very differently than mine does...
"As usual... it depends."

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » March 13th, 2018, 10:14 pm

LuckyR wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 6:06 pm
This is a philosophical forum where the default is to view issues from every angle and keep questioning.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » March 13th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Dark Matter wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Why do you ask questions whose answers you don’t want to hear?
Do you know the main purpose and value of Philosophy, and this is a Philosophy forum?

Take this from Russell,
Thus, to sum up our discussion of the value of philosophy;
Philosophy is to be studied, not for the sake of any definite answers to its questions since no definite answers can, as a rule, be known to be true, but rather for the sake of the questions themselves;

because these questions enlarge our conception of what is possible, enrich our intellectual imagination and diminish the dogmatic assurance which closes the mind against speculation;
Your problem is the internal desperation of the existential crisis has driven you to the 100% certainty of the existence of a God which knows everything with certainty, so no need for serious continual philosophical questioning.

Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter » March 14th, 2018, 1:06 am

Spectrum:

I'm guessing you do not remember saying you do not do philosophy.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Spectrum wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 10:14 pm
LuckyR wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 6:06 pm
This is a philosophical forum where the default is to view issues from every angle and keep questioning.
True dat. My #6 Other (which takes up about 40% of my thoughts) would be: cool, pleasurable stuff. Fun activities both past and future (and the cool products to acquire to perform them), admiring attractive folks I encounter and the fun conversations that can follow. Great meals, fashion, travel experiences (and the accompanying toys) to actually do, aspire/plan to do or to unrealistically consider doing.
"As usual... it depends."

Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias » March 16th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Now almost 90% of humans are theists believing in the common ideology of theism in manifesting is various forms of theism and theistic religions. Seemingly the theistic impulse is more critical and override even the sex and food impulses.

So what is theism and its forms are reducible to at the fundamental level?
The need to control.

The universe and its natural processes are inexorable. Man tries to put a human face on them - some entity with which he can communicate; someone he can bribe, con or wheedle into giving him what he wants and protecting him from what he fears.

In nature, rivers flood, sweeping away whoever gets in their way.
In theistic belief, sinners drown and the righteous land up on Mt. Ararat.

Even if terrible things happen to you, you're still nominally in control: you lit the wrong coloured candle on the wrong saint's day, or mixed up the words of the incantation, or your faith is being tested - in any case, you'll get it right next time and earn the prize. (And they won't)

In real life, **** happens. In religion, designer **** happens for an unknowable reason.