What is Your Story?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: What is Your Story?

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:16 pm My story is one of an effective Flatlander, pootling over the surface of the world from which I was spawned. Other Flatlanders like me are transforming the surface of this world, seemingly moving from a high consumption "larval phase" to a low consuming, information rich "reproductive phase", with delivery systems to distribute the biosphere's genes and memes (spores?) to other worlds, out through the "extra dimension/s" of space.
Now, that wasn't so difficult, was it?

It seems to me that your story and Fool's story, unlike Steve's, are so different from mine that there's no room for discussion.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Steve3007 wrote:I quite like the fundamental interconnectedness of all things too. But that doesn't stop boundaries from being useful things.
Dark Matter wrote:That’s your story? The belief that underpins and informs all other beliefs?
No, it's not a belief that underpins and informs all other beliefs. It's just one of many thoughts. If that's what you mean by "my story" (a belief that underpins and informs all other beliefs) then I don't think I have one. I like to consider many different ideas. This for example:
Fooloso4 wrote:We live on one of billions of habitable planets in one of billions of galaxies. We are of significance to no one and nothing other than ourselves. And so, we should learn to take better care of ourselves and each other. It may be that in the not too distant future ours will no longer be a habitable planet for life forms such as ourselves, and so, we must learn to take better care of it as well. And no one lived happily ever after.
...is another thought. Quite a straightforward and factual one. The evidence suggests that it seems to be largely true.

This:
Greta wrote:My story is one of an effective Flatlander, pootling over the surface of the world from which I was spawned. Other Flatlanders like me are transforming the surface of this world, seemingly moving from a high consumption "larval phase" to a low consuming, information rich "reproductive phase", with delivery systems to distribute the biosphere's genes and memes (spores?) to other worlds, out through the "extra dimension/s" of space...
...is, it seems, a more metaphorical one that needs more "unpacking" before it can be properly examined. But both say specific things about the Earth and its inhabitants. They both appear to be grounded in things that can be observed to be true or false, as opposed to being entirely abstract.

If you (DM) want people to simply state an axiomatic principle that underpins their view of the world and if you think that there are some views of the world that differ so much from yours that no discussion is possible then I think what you might get is simply a few isolated, abstract metaphysical statements and it will end there. If I say something like "everything in the universe is connected" or if you say something like "boundaries are an illusion" then unless we're willing to unpack those statements and discuss what we mean by them, with reference to our experiences of the world as we perceive it, they will remain as isolated abstractions and (to me at least) quickly lose any potential interest that they might have had.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

I believe we all have a story that underpins and informs all other beliefs, even if we’re not conscious of it. I don’t believe we can form the first rational thought without one.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

DM, I wasn't much conscious of my story and didn't find the exercise easy, which is why it took me a while to respond.

I suppose I am basically a panvitalist, and have long felt that much maligned rocks - "poster children" for the insensate - have more going on than is usually assumed, being well within the top 1% of the most ordered and sophisticated material in the universe. Most of it seemingly consists of maelstroms of dark energy, dark matter, plasma, molecular clouds and neutrinos - which are for the most part a sorry bunch of chaotic things as compared with the complex molecular structures of rocks! The Earth in context is an extraordinary cosmic gem, from core to magnetosphere.

Another dynamic I've noticed, at a somewhat smaller scale (but still huge) is how the encapsulation of mitochondria in archaea is seemingly being (fractally) echoed by the encapsulation of humans in homes. At the moment the "mitochondria" still go out for a "swim" but in time the environment will become ever more crowded, polluted, inconvenient and dangerous and people will increasingly stay in their ever better serviced homes. In time, the "free swimming" ones will surely find it most difficult to survive, like their microbial counterparts did.

Steve, I might post some of these ideas for unpacking* when I work out more detail and clarity in them.

* A term associated with corporatespeak but Hamlet beat the suits to it:

This is most brave,
That I, the son of a dear father murder'd,
Prompted to my revenge by heaven and hell,
Must, like a whore, unpack my heart with words,
And fall a-cursing, like a very drab,
A scullion!
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

I’m sorry, Greta. Ive been working on my story for so long that I forgot how difficult it must be for someone unaccustomed to encapsulating their guiding principles in words.

Our particular “story” is unique to ourselves. It’s how we come to make sense of the world and our experiences in it. It’s also a vicious circle: we naturally seek evidence for an opposing view before investing time and energy into changing our own, but we must change the way we think before we can observe the evidence. And why would we do this if we are comfortable with our way in the world? Generally speaking, we only change our story when we are forced to acknowledge that there must be more, or at least a better way of understanding.

IMV, there is a whole other universe within ourselves to explore — and the material universe “out there” is dull in comparison. We are cocreators of this universe, the one within and the one without.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Let me say a little more about “my story,” but first I want to make it clear that no one, IMO, can live up to their highest ideals. No one. So although I have high aspirations and perhaps come across as being sanctimonious, it’s not my intent.

Greta said, “Given that our atomic nuclei are probably about as close to the stuff of the big bang as anything outside a black hole, one might say that a bit of the first source resides in every one of our atoms.” That’s true, but its more than that. In my story, every thing, every where, every when and their every possibility converge at the very core of my being. So, how did I come to make this part of my story?

I’m still working on that.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote: April 10th, 2018, 1:37 pmOur particular “story” is unique to ourselves. It’s how we come to make sense of the world and our experiences in it. It’s also a vicious circle: we naturally seek evidence for an opposing view before investing time and energy into changing our own, but we must change the way we think before we can observe the evidence.
Yes, and it's never easy to know how objective we are, whether we are being open or unconsciously compelled to reinforce our views, so in terms of philosophy one ideally questions both their own ideas and opposing views.
Dark Matter wrote:IMV, there is a whole other universe within ourselves to explore — and the material universe “out there” is dull in comparison. We are cocreators of this universe, the one within and the one without.
I would put it another way - the nature outside of us is utterly fascinating and extraordinary and the weirdness within is simply mind blowing. None of reality is dull - that's just weariness talking.

When there is energy and motivation to engage, even a speck of dust is a wonder. Where did it come from? What was it part of before becoming dust? How did it come to be dislodged? Or did it aggregate instead? If so, what from? What are its components? Where has it travelled and for how long? What scenes might it have drifted blindly past in its travels? What is it impacting in its environment? How is the environment impacting on it? How long will it last? Will it join with something? Will it be blown to the upper reaches of the atmosphere and go out into space? If the dust speck is a skin flake (which they often are), that means a piece of me is in outer space! Might it contain dead cells from Donald Trump, Kim or Vlad? Does it contain atoms that once made up dinosaurs, Marie Curie or Mars? What was it before then? And before then? ...

:D
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.“ William Blake
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

The adage "know thyself" predates Socrates and is fundamental to philosophical inquiry; the key to knowing ourselves is knowing our particular "story," the story that informs us about oueselves and our place in the universe. The power and importance of "myth" should not be underestimated. The story or myth gives us a universe frame in which to think and relate. And because every being will always act on what they consider to be true, societies cannot cohere and prosper without one dominant myth binding it together.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

For me, a story is an optional extra. In my observations, the people who live long and happily tend to be both enthusiasts and grateful for the good things. It appears that it is most healthful to love - anything - a lover, your children, animals, gardens, places, nations, culture, sporting teams or eating. Love for whatever appears to be good for one, although the benefit of course can be outweighed if the love is directed towards that which is harmful or dangerous.
Erribert

Post by Erribert »

Ah, well my story is first of all to never trust statistics. That is what you are quoting with the impossibility of this universe. You know the saying “There are lies, damn lies, and statistics”.

Here’s the deal. Statistics does not apply to a singularity; that is a population of one. That’s just how the math works out. Population statistics have a denominator of n-1. Zero doesn’t work very well as a denominator for how can one divide a number by the absence of number. Yes, zero is not a number, it denotes no number at all. I don’t mean zeros like in ten, obviously, just zero. So anyway, we have a universe of ONE. Therefore no amount of statistics can be applied to its existence or non-existence.

And yes, statistics do not apply to you or me personally (population of one). So ignore it when a doctor or a preacher applies statistics to you. It is literally impossible because of the rules of statistics. This makes statistics pretty useless for important stuff to you or me.

Mathematicians have shown with their magic that, yes, everything does cancel out. Even that zero point energy. So, I appreciate your story, not only mathematically, but philosophically.

My story? Well, I call it “The Never Ending Story”. I change my mind daily when it comes to those kinds of things. My story is an adventure/romance/sci-fi/tragedy/fiction all wrapped in one. My story is that all of this has to be an unfathomable mystical experience; what else could we call it? I suppose we could call it cheese too...

I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow. :-)

Thanks for the question. It helps me figure out where I am at in these series of moments. All the billions of them that went by while typing my confession.

Cheers
SBE
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Post by SBE »

There are many beliefs that claim to be the only way to salvation and their God is the only true God. There is so much confusion and righteous banging on the desk that makes me walk away from all mainstream explanations of the divine. So, what I use as a test in discerning what could be true, is the belief must promote the betterment of all, while encouraging growth through freedom to make your own choices and learn by your mistakes.

Low and behold there is a philosophy of creation that does all of this and more. This philosophy has a major difference though, and can feel strange at first but after some contemplation makes a whole lot of sense. And that is the creator is not a masculine God our father but instead the Mother Goddess the Creatrix of the universe. The universe could be logically considered feminine in nature as we see the feminine creating life here in our lives. One might say life needs to be seeded by a male to complete the task but that is not the case in the beginning of most species. Androgyny is said to exist before the separation of sexes and all androgynous beings, even though possessing both female and male traits are considered female because they can create life on their own. There are many more reasons why this philosophy rings true to me, as it promotes our individual Sovereignty thus reminding you of you infinite worth.

While the patriarchal god system we are used to promotes through religion, royalty, the elite and government the notion that authority is superior and we are inferior and must obey their dictates even if we think it’s immoral to do so. They teach that morality can only come from the obedience to authority.

http://wespenre.com/2/creation-of-universes.htm
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Erribert wrote: May 1st, 2018, 2:46 am Ah, well my story is first of all to never trust statistics. That is what you are quoting with the impossibility of this universe. You know the saying “There are lies, damn lies, and statistics”.

Here’s the deal. Statistics does not apply to a singularity; that is a population of one.
I very much trust statistics over lying, delusional, confused, manipulative humans any day.

That is why I worked in statistics for some years - because I could better understand organisations by analysing their metrics than implicitly believing to self-serving drivel from managers and staff. Humans are only useful as information givers if they are truthful, or if their lies are sufficiently transparent.

In today's Trumpian "post fact" world where truth is nothing more than an inconvenient and meaningless word, more people are lying as they routinely see lack of accountability at the highest levels. Thus, you NEED statistics to call lying people to account.

If we stop accepting statistics then we only have stories - unaccountable stories that are usually lies.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Erribert wrote: May 1st, 2018, 2:46 am Ah, well my story is first of all to never trust statistics. That is what you are quoting with the impossibility of this universe. You know the saying “There are lies, damn lies, and statistics”.

Here’s the deal. Statistics does not apply to a singularity; that is a population of one. That’s just how the math works out. Population statistics have a denominator of n-1. Zero doesn’t work very well as a denominator for how can one divide a number by the absence of number. Yes, zero is not a number, it denotes no number at all. I don’t mean zeros like in ten, obviously, just zero. So anyway, we have a universe of ONE. Therefore no amount of statistics can be applied to its existence or non-existence.

And yes, statistics do not apply to you or me personally (population of one). So ignore it when a doctor or a preacher applies statistics to you. It is literally impossible because of the rules of statistics. This makes statistics pretty useless for important stuff to you or me.

Mathematicians have shown with their magic that, yes, everything does cancel out. Even that zero point energy. So, I appreciate your story, not only mathematically, but philosophically.

My story? Well, I call it “The Never Ending Story”. I change my mind daily when it comes to those kinds of things. My story is an adventure/romance/sci-fi/tragedy/fiction all wrapped in one. My story is that all of this has to be an unfathomable mystical experience; what else could we call it? I suppose we could call it cheese too...

I’ll probably change my mind tomorrow. :-)

Thanks for the question. It helps me figure out where I am at in these series of moments. All the billions of them that went by while typing my confession.

Cheers
Statistics are just numbers, they aren't the problem, rather it is the misrepresentation of statistics that leads to fooling people.
"As usual... it depends."
Speedyj1992

Post by Speedyj1992 »

In a few words, my story is one of sadness and failure, at least at first. But then redemption came, and I've become a new person since.

The longer version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfGltyJK8Q&t=482s

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream