What is Your Story?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: What is Your Story?

Post by Dark Matter »

Georgeanna, are you moved by such a dreary and and uninspiring story as F4’s?
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Dark Matter wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm Georgeanna, are you moved by such a dreary and and uninspiring story as F4’s?
I was moved enough by it to respond. Which aspect of his account did you find 'dreary and uninspiring' ?
Is that all you have to ask of me in relation to my reply ?
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Georgeanna wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Dark Matter wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm Georgeanna, are you moved by such a dreary and and uninspiring story as F4’s?
I was moved enough by it to respond. Which aspect of his account did you find 'dreary and uninspiring' ?
Everything. It’s a story any unimaginative third-grader could write.
Is that all you have to ask of me in relation to my reply ?
What else do you want me to say? That your story isn’t really a story in a mythological sense?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote: July 4th, 2018, 2:00 pmBut what if, like Rey in the Last Jedi, some people know, somewhere in the back of their minds, there's more than what is presented to their physical senses? Would it not be natural to dismiss Greta's story as inadequate for their stage of development? Would they not pursue more satisfying answers, and would not those answers also evolve?
How would they "know"? By what mechanism. History is replete with politicians and people who were absolutely utterly and utterly certain that they knew things - but actually they did not.

And you can stop babbling about bigotry. There are equivalent things you could be called but no one else has stooped to that level, rather preferring to focus on content rather than playing rhetorical games.

Perhaps when theists stop attacking women, gays, abortion clinics and interfering with end of life processes, forcing millions into prolonged pointless agony, then we can talk about bigotry. At this stage any secular attacks on theism are still just self defence given that our polities dominated by theists enforcing unrepresentative policy on everyone.

I'd put money on it they those people "know" too - many "know" science better than scientists, economics better than economists, nature better than naturalists, chemistry better than chemists etc.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Georgeanna wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:22 pmI was moved enough by it to respond. Which aspect of his account did you find 'dreary and uninspiring' ?
Note that DM loathes Fooloso and is taking the chance at a quick shot, without content but replete with spite.

Integrity?
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

I started working on this before Georianna posted and DM responded. A few quick comments on that exchange:

Georgeanna:
I agree that we can learn more about someone, or our selves, by observing outward behaviour.
Dark Matter:
Georgeanna, are you moved by such a dreary and and uninspiring story as F4’s?
DM, you may believe that any story that is not an otherworldly fantasy is dreary and uninspiring, but some of us find human relationships and our obligation to care for ourselves and others here and now more inspiring than what we find in the escape of fantasy. No matter how one furnishes the world of their inner life, how we behave, what we do rather than what we imagine is the touchstone of self-knowledge.

Some thoughts on the self inspired by Nietzsche’s misquoting Pindar:
Become who/what you are.
He omits the second part:
Having learned what that is.
As with the imperative
Know thyself
it can be turned in many directions. Nietzsche’s omission is not only deliberate but telling. Who we are is what we become. As long as we live who we are is always a matter of what we will be, of what we become. But we do not become who we are from being something other than we are. There is no escaping this self-referential circle. All talk of God and transcendence is an unaware self-referential attempt to escape the circle. Such attempts are at bottom a denial of self.

As I see it, the self is a self-constructing construct. Who we are emerges from our own narratives of ourselves. Both the stories we tell ourselves and the stories we accept about ourselves are already determined by who we are. The self emerges from what you already are and is never separate from who you are. In one sense we are always ourselves even when we are for one reason or another “not ourselves”. But the self is not a fixed, unchanging entity. This is why Nietzsche omits the second half of Pindar’s admonition. Who or what we become is open ended and, at least for some, self-directed. We should not separate the problem of becoming who we are from our self-knowledge of what we want to be.

The extent to which the self is a coherent whole is itself dependent on yourself. The self, even the most consistent and unified or whole self is a multitude, with multiple stories, that wax and wane. Which voices are the loudest and which voices we are attentive to, what is of concern to us, what makes a difference to us, says something about ourselves in a double sense. On the one hand, it is a reflection of ourselves, but on the other, formative for who or what we wish to be or not be, that is, for what we become.

Nietzsche says he tests or sounds various claims about who he is in order to see whether they ring true to him. It is a mode of self-examination. He is in this sense being true to himself, his own authority as to who he his, something for which no one can stand as as a higher authority. But what is true in his case is not true in all cases. Some simply prefer to be told who or what they are, and, of course, that is part of the story of who they are.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm
Georgeanna wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:22 pmI was moved enough by it to respond. Which aspect of his account did you find 'dreary and uninspiring' ?
Note that DM loathes Fooloso and is taking the chance at a quick shot, without content but replete with spite.

Integrity?
Understood.
Shame if that spitefulness continues. Then again, has all the ingredients of a non-dreary and inspiring soap opera...
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Georgeanna wrote: July 4th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 5:41 pmNote that DM loathes Fooloso and is taking the chance at a quick shot, without content but replete with spite.

Integrity?
Understood.
Shame if that spitefulness continues. Then again, has all the ingredients of a non-dreary and inspiring soap opera...
:lol: That will be dreary too, trust me. DM and F have been at it a few times and it's a matter of "never the twain shall meet".

DM is a romantic and provocateur who longs for the eternal and speaks in terms of the metaphorical, making short, pointed, broad assumptive statements while F is an ethical humanist, keen to avoid conjecture, who is polite, detailed and precise. So they tend to run at cross purposes. Maybe spelling it all out this way will help? Realistically, probably not :lol:

Meanwhile, most of the rest of us probably lie somewhere between the poles that these two differing personalities somewhat represent. Whatever, I like the premise of the thread - it's interesting and has provoked some interesting thoughts so far.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 6:49 pm
Meanwhile, most of the rest of us probably lie somewhere between the poles that these two differing personalities somewhat represent.
Kh-khm. Excuse meeee.... but I should like to think of myself as my own pole unto my very own self.

No pole is more pole-ish than I. (That Includes myself, naturally.)

"most of the rest of us..." I shalt not rest my pole mostly until I prove my own pole to all of us.

------------------
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

"some of us find human relationships and our obligation to care for ourselves and others here and now more inspiring than what we find in the escape of fantasy." -- That was nicely put. Very, very, very nicely.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Integrity?
DM loathes everything that is crossing his ideas of spiritual domination.

DM has no special place in his heart for Foolo, not even in the negative, hateful sense. DM, instead, hates every atheist, freethinker, and logic-monger.

DM did this with me until I put him on Foe. He was the one that inspired me to plea to the organizer of this site to establish some sort of rule on the supremacy of logic and reason when discussing topics.
-1-

Post by -1- »

I had a story... oo, yes. I had had a story. Quite a story.

But the dog ate it on my way to the forums.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

-1- wrote: July 4th, 2018, 7:13 pm
Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 6:49 pm
Meanwhile, most of the rest of us probably lie somewhere between the poles that these two differing personalities somewhat represent.
Kh-khm. Excuse meeee.... but I should like to think of myself as my own pole unto my very own self.

No pole is more pole-ish than I. (That Includes myself, naturally.)

"most of the rest of us..." I shalt not rest my pole mostly until I prove my own pole to all of us.

------------------
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fortunate for Rey! If Rey feels that all is balanced does she then not trouble herself to try to make things better?
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta wrote: July 4th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Dark Matter wrote: July 4th, 2018, 2:00 pmBut what if, like Rey in the Last Jedi, some people know, somewhere in the back of their minds, there's more than what is presented to their physical senses? Would it not be natural to dismiss Greta's story as inadequate for their stage of development? Would they not pursue more satisfying answers, and would not those answers also evolve?
How would they "know"? By what mechanism. History is replete with politicians and people who were absolutely utterly and utterly certain that they knew things - but actually they did not.
You wouldn't ask if you were truly as open-minded and as observant as you claim. How do birds know how to make nests without being taught? By what mechanism? Did nest-building suddenly appear or did it evolve overtime?

Myths are powerful because they speak to what is already there in the recipient, no matter how deeply it is hidden by the mind's meandering.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream