Do You Know Any YEC's?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
anonymous66

Do You Know Any YEC's?

Post by anonymous66 »

Do you know any Young Earth Creationists in real life? I grew up in a home and church here in the U.S. that believed the universe is about 6,000 years old. I went to a public school and started seriously questioning what I was taught when I was in my 20's. I now accept that the universe is something like 13.8 billion years old, and that all life evolved from simple life forms.

I have a lot of respect for Christians like Ken Miller, Alvin Plantinga, and Francis Collins who accept evolution and also believe that it's consistent with their religious beliefs, even though I personally no longer find Christianity to be appealing.

I really don't like to talk to my parents about their beliefs, but I did confirm that they still believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. I mentioned the time it takes light to travel from distant stars, and my dad said something like, "those scientists are wrong, and they disagree with what God says (in the Bible)."

I thought I had gotten away from YEC's, but I started a small philosophy group, and one of our 3 members is a YEC.

How about you? Do you know any YEC's? Do you try to talk them out of their beliefs?
LuckyR

Re: Do You Know Any YEC's?

Post by LuckyR »

anonymous66 wrote: May 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm Do you know any Young Earth Creationists in real life? I grew up in a home and church here in the U.S. that believed the universe is about 6,000 years old. I went to a public school and started seriously questioning what I was taught when I was in my 20's. I now accept that the universe is something like 13.8 billion years old, and that all life evolved from simple life forms.

I have a lot of respect for Christians like Ken Miller, Alvin Plantinga, and Francis Collins who accept evolution and also believe that it's consistent with their religious beliefs, even though I personally no longer find Christianity to be appealing.

I really don't like to talk to my parents about their beliefs, but I did confirm that they still believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. I mentioned the time it takes light to travel from distant stars, and my dad said something like, "those scientists are wrong, and they disagree with what God says (in the Bible)."

I thought I had gotten away from YEC's, but I started a small philosophy group, and one of our 3 members is a YEC.

How about you? Do you know any YEC's? Do you try to talk them out of their beliefs?
Everyone knows folks like that, though they may not know they know them, since those folks have likely been subject to ridicule and may be a bit guarded in broadcasting their beliefs.

It is the rare individual who is comfortable enough with their place in the universe to open their mind up enough to be a candidate for having their mind changed. So rare, in fact that I routinely don't try to change minds.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Believing the world is 6000 years old isn't any more unreasonable than a lot of beliefs people have. Well maybe a little. Sometimes you have to accept that people are a little bit insane.
Personally I would suggest you agree to disagree and to concentrate on other things. After all believing the world is 6000 years old or a billion years old is mostly irrelevant to day to day life. Hence the reason it is easy to go a life time believing the world is 6000 years old.
Your philosophy club is a bit of a different scenario than your home life though. Perhaps you could tackle logic and logical fallacies. If you can agree on what logic is beforehand then it's harder to simply ignore.
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Eduk wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:01 am Believing the world is 6000 years old isn't any more unreasonable than a lot of beliefs people have. Well maybe a little. Sometimes you have to accept that people are a little bit insane.
Personally I would suggest you agree to disagree and to concentrate on other things. After all believing the world is 6000 years old or a billion years old is mostly irrelevant to day to day life. Hence the reason it is easy to go a life time believing the world is 6000 years old.
Your philosophy club is a bit of a different scenario than your home life though. Perhaps you could tackle logic and logical fallacies. If you can agree on what logic is beforehand then it's harder to simply ignore.
We've discussed logic at length and as far as I can tell we agree on how to use it. He is quick to say, "The only reason scientists believe X is because they don't believe in God."
He is prone to send me links from Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis website. That website's ability to deny the obvious is mind-boggling. I thought that one must either accept that the universe looks old because God created it to look old, or claim that the universe actually looks young. If God created a universe that looks old, then one must wonder why they're surprised that people think the universe is old. But, apparently, they claim that the universe looks young, and have a convoluted way of explaining what they mean by "looking young" and how it is that light from distant galaxies has reached us in such a short amount of time. In order to claim the universe is actually young, they claim that the speed of light isn't constant, and that anomalies in time support a young earth... (https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/ ... se-is-old/)
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Logic simply can't beat narrative.
For example an anti GMO type might present a 'scientific' argument but if you carefully explain the problems with their 'science' you will have no luck because they don't have a scientific problem with GMO. They have a narrative problem with GMO. For example they might believe 'mother nature' knows best.
So you might say actually GMO is in alignment with their narrative. That might work. Or you might attempt to disabuse them of their narrative, which obviously is a bit of an uphill battle.
Either way I would not suggest you waste your life using logic to fix a problem where logic does not apply.
I'm not really sure why creationists want the universe to be young? Other than to fit in with their group of course. Maybe you could claim the universe is both 14 billion years old and 6 thousand years old. Who knows it might catch on.
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

The best thing I know to do is to use the information I get from Christians who also accept evolution. For instance, I use the website of Francis Collins' organization Biologos. The goal of Biologos is to convince Christians that evolution is a reality. They also have information about the age of the universe on the site.

Many YECs believe that scientists are malicious in their desire to deny God (by denying what God says in the Bible- they believe that God says the universe is only 6,000 years old)- they believe that scientists find evidence to fit an old universe and evolution, so they just do the same- only their story is creation, and a young universe. They just start with the assumption that the universe is young, and evolution is false, and then find whatever solutions they can to make that story work- while accusing scientists of doing something similar.

I guess I can understand why someone would want to answer all those nagging questions like "if a young universe, what about the time it takes light to reach us from distant stars?". And they do come up with answers. I just don't see how anyone can form a cohesive web of belief (what of ancient civilizations- who built them, if a global flood on or about 2348BC?) if taking the Bible literally.

YEC's just can't accept that the Bible might not be meant to be taken literally. Their belief system would crumble if they started speculating that maybe the flood wasn't global, or maybe God used evolution to create man, or that maybe the universe is old. For them, it's literalism, or give up on Christianity.

The fellow in my group let me know that he believes that if evolution, then not original sin, and the Christian message and the reason for Jesus' death are meaningless. But, I also know that Plantinga accepts evolution and explains how it's compatible with the concept of original sin.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I suspect like many things the reason why someone might be a creationist are many and varied. Much in the same way you seem to find one set of beliefs ridiculous whilst, seemingly, not realising your own beliefs are equally as unreasonable (assuming you are a Christian as you seem to imply?).
Perhaps yec is a reaction to sciences attack on unreasonable beliefs? I wasn't alive at the time but I believe a number of Christians gave up their belief when presented with evolution. Of course times change. Many Christians have almagamted evolution with their beliefs and some react against it. To be fair both approaches make sense. Though I suspect in the long run the adaptable religious will survive longer than the less adaptable (ironically demonstrating evolution in action).
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

I'm not a Christian (as I stated in my OP). If the Christian message is defined as: God loved humanity so much that He suffered greatly so that mankind could be freed from sin... then that's pretty cool and all. It also seems to me that if Christianity, then universal salvation, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. The message seems to me to be: God died for your sins and you will go to heaven when you die. I don't believe in substance dualism anyway... but, the religion seems pretty inclusive (assuming universal salvation).
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Apologies it wasn't clear to me either way. Personally I dislike the Christian message that you are born a sinner and commanded to become good. But that's me. Also join our club or suffer eternal damnation feels like a threat more than an inclusive statement, again that's just my take.
Either way it was just an attempt to show that everyone has some unreasonable beliefs that appear obviously silly to others. Why we believe such things is complex and rarely to do with logic.
Personally I value reality. I would like to know what reality is more than I want what I know to be reality. Obviously it's painful to be contradicted but it's more painful, to me, to not change my opinion based on new evidence. Also I tend not to believe in all that much or at least it's rarely part of my identity. For example many people identify as X political party whereas I am very confident that all the major political parties are basically the same and if there is a best one it isn't by much and discerning the best one is basically an impossible task. I also don't feel like I should take much credit if my choice wins, as in its not part of me.
But I do well with reality. Not everyone does.
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

I value reality as well. I'm very concerned with finding the truth. The irony is that growing up in a church that had such strong convictions probably influenced me for the good (assuming that searching for truth is good).
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I always like the Christian quote 'the truth shall set you free'. Although it's obviously pretty ironic.
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Eduk wrote: May 24th, 2018, 3:34 am Personally I dislike the Christian message that you are born a sinner and commanded to become good. But that's me. Also join our club or suffer eternal damnation feels like a threat more than an inclusive statement, again that's just my take.
The concept of universal salvation has been there since the beginning of Christianity. Carlton Pearson is in the limelight recently because he famously changed his views on the topic- he now accepts universal salvation. He is the topic of an episode of NPR's This American Life (Heretics) and there is a movie about his life: Come Sunday.

From what I know of Christianity, the idea is that humans are flawed, but God provided a solution. It combines Greek thought of the harmful passions with aspects of the ancient mystery religions. It was concerned with how to overcome the passions (as were many ancient philosophies, including Stoicism), and a promise of eternal life.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Does universal salvation require original sin? I just read up on it and it's a lot nicer than other proposals which I have heard before.
Unknown means unknown.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Sure it includes original sin. If universal salvation is the case, then it's just the some people have misinterpreted Christianity in such a way that they miss the main point. The main point being that Jesus death redeemed literally everyone, without exception, and that man need do nothing to earn that salvation.

There are some variations, though. Some theologians think that it will be a painful process for some -everyone will eventually get to heaven, but it may not be a pleasant journey (it may even be consistent with the concept of purgatory). Others think it's a done deal. Jesus did the work, and we reap the benefits.

It might be an issue for the popularity of Christianity, though. Carlton Pearson and his followers found that if people believe theyr'e already saved, then church attendance seems moot. I suppose if you had a really cool group of people to visit with every Sunday, it might be okay.
Romanz1

Post by Romanz1 »

I'm Catholic and used to believe in a young earth, but then discovered that that interpretation of Genesis has been proven incorrect but modern geology (more specifically, radiometric dating). I now believe God may have used evolution over millions of years to produce life - except in the case of man, who did not evolve from a pre-existing creature, but was created separately and distinctly (from inanimate matter, as described in Genesis 2:7), 6000-10000 years ago.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream