God’s Morality

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
devans99

God’s Morality

Post by devans99 »

God is coerced into being good rather than evil I argue below.

Even God cannot know if there is another greater god than him in existence somewhere. If God ever meets a greater god, the outcome is as follows:

1. Greater god is Good, our God is Evil -> Our god Punished
2. Greater god is Good, our God is Good -> Our god Rewarded
3. Greater god is Evil, our God is Good -> Our god Punished
4. Greater god is Evil, our God is Evil -> Our god Punished

The only satisfactory outcome is [2] above so God is coerced to goodness.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: God’s Morality

Post by Spectrum »

If a greater God is assumed then yes, your logic works.

But note the ultimate God is the ontological God, i.e.
  • "God is a being than which none greater can be conceived" St. Anselm.

"Certainly, the idea of God, or a supremely perfect being, is one that I find within me just as surely as the idea of any shape or number." Descartes
With the above, there can be no greater god other than 'God' which no greater can be conceived.

Since God is the absolute greatest, therefore God quality must be the greatest good without equal or greater good. This is supported by the Moral Argument.

However, my ultimate argument is while the above is logically possible but in reality God is an impossibility to be real.
God is an Impossibility.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15155

Nevertheless, whilst God is an impossibility in reality, it is a critical necessity for humans to believe in an illusory false God because DNA wise humans are hardwired to believe in a God or some other deities due to some primal psychological impulses driven by a 'zombie parasite' [evolutionary side effect] in the brain/mind.

Why Believe in a God when It is Impossible to Prove?
viewtopic.php?t=15174
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

I don’t buy into the idea of an omnipotent god; a god is bound by natural laws seems more plausible. Possibly we are disagreeing on the nature and scope of God; for me he’s strictly a creator and he has imperfections.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

devans99 wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:03 pm I don’t buy into the idea of an omnipotent god; a god is bound by natural laws seems more plausible. Possibly we are disagreeing on the nature and scope of God; for me he’s strictly a creator and he has imperfections.
An imperfect God as I had argued is not a rational and wise God.

Point is if a theist do not claim his/her God to be 100% absolute perfect nor the greatest that no greater can be conceived, then it leaves room for others to claim their God is greater and more perfect than your inferior God.
The debate and yearning for whose God is greater has been going on for thousands of years and it has culminated to a ceiling idea no others can surpass.

Given the majority [especially Muslims and Christians] are of the instinctively unsecured types they will claim your inferior God will be dominated by their greatest God and thus subservient. Some arrogant believers [especially many Muslims] believe their God is the greatest such that their God can command your inferior God to eat sh:t or kiss the God's ass.

Therefore the most rational, wise and secure position is to claim one's God as the ontological God, i.e. a God than which no greater god can be conceived. This is so easy, it only take one to have a switch in thinking, a mental thought and claim for it.

A God that is bounded by natural laws is an obvious empirical impossibility. Natural Laws are conditioned by the human mind[s] and thus such a natural bounded God is a human-made God.

An ontological God is at least a logical possibility but definitely an empirical impossibility.

Either way, God is a impossibility to be real, the only consolation is the ontological God is at least a logical possibility.

The final point is, the idea of God is an logical emergence out of some psychological existential crisis. Deal with this crisis and one will not be so obsessed with God or one can do away with the idea of God and its loads of negative baggage within humanity.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

I think we are disagreeing on the definition of God here. I limit the definition to creator of the universe.

I don’t care too much if there is another more perfect god; they are all bound by the logic which I started this thread.

When I say god is bound by natural laws I mean boundary by the underlying reality of the natural laws not the human approximations we’ve developed.

God is not a reaction to some ‘psychological existential crises’; it’s a reaction to scientific findings:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If you don't view your God as an ontological God you are actually insulting your God, i.e. accepting and allowing your god to be inferior to another superior God.

The idea of God can be argued to have arisen during the paleolithic age of mankind. However the idea of God can be easily be traceable back to > 10,000 years ago and the idea of a greater being to 100,000 years ago when the primitive religions emerged. Since then the idea of God has evolved to the ceiling limit of the ontological God.

There are lots of studies that linked the idea of God to psychology and existential elements.

Re your link to fine-tuning,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
This concept appeared only in 1913.

The concept of the fine-tuned Universe is heavily grounded on scientific theories. Re Popper, scientific theories at best are merely polished conjectures by humans which is way too weak to support the idea of God the creator of the universe which is supposed to be finely tuned to near-perfection or perfection as claimed by many.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Devans99 your God sounds basically human? As in an ant might consider a human to be a sort of God (not in those terms obviously but you get my point).
So the question, I think, is are humans compelled to be good? Your argument is basically Pascal's wager, which many people don't find convincing. So I don't think this concept of a God consistently coerce's good behaviour. Personally I think most humans are good because they are good. But you could argue that reality coerce's humans into being good.
Unknown means unknown.
devans99

Post by devans99 »

The definition of god I use most is a ‘benevolent creator(s) of the universe’. So some sort of intelligent being(s). Probably a lot smarter than us but all intelligent beings probably share some basic cognitive traits so human-like traits I would expect.

Thanks for pointing me to Pascal’s wager; that’s it except I’m applying the logic to the creator of the universe rather than a potential worshipper.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Spectrum wrote: June 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Anselm's ontological argument defeats itself. I'm sure we all know the argument, for God to be the greatest thing concievable he must exist in some worlds, therefore all worlds, including this world, therefore god exists.
Problem is, the greatest being I can concieve can create a world without the sort of pain and suffering I have personally witnessed and experience. Because that world does not exist, either the greatest being conceivable does not exist or god is not maximumly great ......either way god doesn't exist.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
devans99

Post by devans99 »

I’m sorry to here that.

I define god as benevolent but impotent to our day to day suffering. He is not omnipotent and universe is a big place. We suffer because society is in a non-satisfactory transitory state.

Society improves with time and in the limit reaches perfection (think 100,000 years time). So one could argue that, on average, over the entire lifetime of the universe, God’s decision to create the universe is vindicated - total happiness should vastly outweigh suffering. Sadly not the case for us as we are still savages...
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

devans99 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 10:00 am I’m sorry to here that.

I define god as benevolent but impotent to our day to day suffering. He is not omnipotent and universe is a big place. We suffer because society is in a non-satisfactory transitory state.

Society improves with time and in the limit reaches perfection (think 100,000 years time). So one could argue that, on average, over the entire lifetime of the universe, God’s decision to create the universe is vindicated - total happiness should vastly outweigh suffering. Sadly not the case for us as we are still savages...
No need to be sorry, I have no need nor any impulse to have the existence of gods present in my daily life. Definitions of gods will continue to evolve as our species does, in the end faith in god is all that keeps the idea itself alive.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:36 am
Spectrum wrote: June 19th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Anselm's ontological argument defeats itself. I'm sure we all know the argument, for God to be the greatest thing concievable he must exist in some worlds, therefore all worlds, including this world, therefore god exists.
Problem is, the greatest being I can concieve can create a world without the sort of pain and suffering I have personally witnessed and experience. Because that world does not exist, either the greatest being conceivable does not exist or god is not maximumly great ......either way god doesn't exist.
Note the original idealization of a God;
  • 1. The emergence of the idea of a God emerged millions of years ago from a terrible existential crisis [psychology].
    2. In their experience of the terrific forces of nature, humans infer some being greater than themselves.
    3. Then this greater being was anthropomorhized as some sort of deity than God.
    4. The natural one-up [mine better than yours] instinct kicked in and inevitably the idea of God will end up with the ontological God where no one can claim whose is greater than the other.
    5. This inevitable ontological God is the only way out if one resort to the idea of God to deal with the fundamental psychological issue.
You are right, i.e. the ontological god is self-defeating because it is at best a logical possibility and never an empirical reality nor possibility.
Thus the idea of God is merely a falsehood and a necessary lie to deal with a fundamental psychological issue.

If one choose a lesser than perfect God i.e. not an ontological god, then such a God is subject to derison by others who claim their God to be perfect.
If one God is a lesser empirical God, then one will have to bring empirical proofs which is not likely.

So yes, either way, God doesn't exist. I have insisted with logical proofs, it is an impossibility for God to be real.

As I have stated above the initial impulse towards a belief in a God was fundamentally a psychological impulse of an existential crisis driven by a zombie parasite.

The solution to a psychological problem therefore should be psychological [as the Buddhists and other Eastern religion has done] rather than merely logical thinking or faith of the Abrahamic theists.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Note to Spectrum:
I don’t think we need take too seriously the European existentialists’ exclusive harping on dread, on anguish, on despair and the like, for which their only remedy seems to be to keep a stiff upper lip. This high I.Q. whimpering on a cosmic scale occurs whenever an external source of values fails to work. They should have learned from the psychotherapists that the loss of illusions and the discovery of identity, though painful at first, can be ultimately exhilarating and strengthening. -- Abraham Maslow
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dark Matter wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 1:53 pm Note to Spectrum:
I don’t think we need take too seriously the European existentialists’ exclusive harping on dread, on anguish, on despair and the like, for which their only remedy seems to be to keep a stiff upper lip. This high I.Q. whimpering on a cosmic scale occurs whenever an external source of values fails to work. They should have learned from the psychotherapists that the loss of illusions and the discovery of identity, though painful at first, can be ultimately exhilarating and strengthening. -- Abraham Maslow
I don't agree with 'exclusive harping' as well.
The point is we must recognize and acknowledge the facts of life and seriously do something about it like what most Eastern philosophies are doing [researching] and practicing.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Well, we all have myths that guide us.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream