Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Jack421

Post by Jack421 »

Revelation 13:11-12

Had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed

Daniel 8:3-4 King James Version (KJV)
3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.

4 I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great.

Job 5:18-19 King James Version (KJV)
18 For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole.

19 He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee.

Revelation 13:18 King James Version (KJV)
18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

2 Chronicles 9:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred and threescore and six talents of gold;

1 Kings 10:14 King James Version (KJV)
14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold,
LuckyR

Re: 666

Post by LuckyR »

Jack421 wrote: July 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm Revelation 13:11-12

Had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed

3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last.

4 I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great.

18 For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole.

19 He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

13 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred and threescore and six talents of gold;

14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold,
Do you have a question?
"As usual... it depends."
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

666 is no more than the value of a listing of the Roman numerals DCLXVI.

I guess some people associated bad things with the Romans.
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

A_Seagull wrote: July 15th, 2018, 10:48 pm 666 is no more than the value of a listing of the Roman numerals DCLXVI.

Correct! Saw a Mary Beard documentary where it was explained. The "beast" certainly did refer to the Romans. From memory there was a particular anticipated battle around Mesopotamia that was posited to be the apocalypse.

A bit hard for those people to speak about the whole world, when they were only aware of a tiny proportion of the Earth's land mass and oceans.

It still surprises me that modern people take the obvious metaphorical messages and culturally specific edicts of ancient texts literally, as if spoken in a modern context. There appears to be some grievous failing in education systems that makes people blind to the changes of culture and language over time. It's as if population increase prompts societies to generate higher numbers of gullible drones.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Jack421 wrote: July 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm Revelation 13:11-12

Had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. Is that Komodo Dragonese, Chinese Dragonese, or OME Dragonese?

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed The First Beast being God you mean?

3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last. The stupid ram was looking at you, and as many mammals do when perplexed, it tilted its head sideways. Hence, one horn was higher than the other. It takes the Biblical force of Biblical style of Biblical proportions to see revelation in a ram's outlook on life.

4 I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great. Let me guess: the Beatles?

18 For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole. And he lispths, and he doth not know it.

19 He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. "For verily I sayeth unto thee, I maketh no senthe into thee, in the way of he Beatht. Even mine syntax ith crap, if thou wondereth."

13 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred and threescore and six talents of gold; for the unit of weight is not pounds or kilograms or tonnes, but of gold. Which maketh the entire statement meaningless, in the way of the beasts, which was named, and his name was "Journalist".

14 Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold, "Which, I repeath, is no less nore more than six hundred threescore and six talents of gold, which, if you still haven't been listening, is precisely no more nore less than six hundred threescore and six talents of gold. And no matter which way you sliceth it, it is still, I repeat at the risk of repeating myself, six hundred theescore and six talents."
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

I somehow skipped this one.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. This is wisdom for thou can use it in everyday life, and also in esoteric isotropic particle physics.
-1-

Post by -1- »

A_Seagull wrote: July 15th, 2018, 10:48 pm 666 is no more than the value of a listing of the Roman numerals DCLXVI.

I think you went a bit too far in your assumption. Some people just hated doing arithmetic with Roman numerals. Like try multiplying long hand LVCCXII by CMDDXIV, and you'll see what I mean.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

A_Seagull wrote:666 is no more than the value of a listing of the Roman numerals DCLXVI.
I'd never realized that before. Except, surely it's not quite true because it misses out M? Surely the number of the beast, if it is a listing of all Roman numerals, should be 1666? Great fire of London? Was that supposed to be the apocalypse? I quite like the idea that the apocalypse started in a bakery.
Greta wrote:It still surprises me that modern people take the obvious metaphorical messages and culturally specific edicts of ancient texts literally, as if spoken in a modern context. There appears to be some grievous failing in education systems that makes people blind to the changes of culture and language over time. It's as if population increase prompts societies to generate higher numbers of gullible drones.
I guess it's just an inability to abstract - to look for the general in the specific. Abstractions are, for a lot of people, hard to relate to.
-1- wrote:I think you went a bit too far in your assumption. Some people just hated doing arithmetic with Roman numerals. Like try multiplying long hand LVCCXII by CMDDXIV, and you'll see what I mean.
It does indeed seem odd that of all the many things the Romans did for us, creating a numbering system that was good for doing arithmetic wasn't one of them.

LVCCXII * CMDDXIV = MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDCCCXCVIII

(I didn't do it long hand).
Felix

Post by Felix »

It does indeed seem odd that of all the many things the Romans did for us, creating a numbering system that was good for doing arithmetic wasn't one of them.
Their numbering system was suitable for advanced calculations. It was based on verbal symbols, i.e., the characters of their alphabet: alpha, beta, etc.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Are there some calculations that are easier in the Roman system than in decimal? I could see how there might be.

It's a bit like pounds, shillings and pence. In "modern money", a third of a pound/dollar is 33.3333... pence/cents. Very awkward. But in the old system it's 6 shillings and 8 pence. 6 and 8. Quite neat. Having 12 pence in a shilling allows you quite a lot of ways to equally divide a shilling among various quantities of people.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Today, the need to divide 10c between multiple people has rather reduced a tad. I do remember a time when that sum could buy a pie, two unbuttered rolls or an amount of halfpenny sweets sufficient to keep dentists in business :)
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Some quite nice people believe that the OT is full of numerology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria

https://www.britannica.com/topic/gematria
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

In the numerology system in place at the time of the Revelation the number 1 represented the Monad (or God) while the number 9 represented man. If you reduce the number 666 by adding the digits until they come to a single digit, that number is 9. If I remember correctly, according to Revelation there will be 144,000 who will go to heaven. Again using numerology it adds to 9.

I believe it was suggested that 1 could be contained in all the other numbers, but 9 could only be contained in itself.
Fdesilva

Post by Fdesilva »

666 represents good luck as is evident if one throws a dice 3 times and gets 6 each time. So everything that was once attributed to God is attributed to good luck. For example the Big bang a person that believes in God will say is the work of a Mind that knows all possible universes but chooses to create the one we have. The alternative option is a the big bang is created by a universe generator that generates every possible universe and its pure chance that we happen to be in this one. So those that believe in God say God Bless you and those that don't say best of luck
MAYA EL

Post by MAYA EL »

Man is a carbon-based life-form and carbon is #6
And also there's supposedly 24 Elders surrounding the Throne of Heaven which "the Kingdom of Heaven is within" was a well-known saying back then for "it's all in your mind" so these hundred forty-four thousand that are sealed on the forehead (being a hint) is a hidden meaning for the fully enlightened person 24 X 6 = 144
These people are supposedly connected to the god-mind / akashic records because it also refers to them singing a new song that only them and the father know ( I don't remember exactly Which chapter of Revelation it says that but I'm sure you all will forgive me) .

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream