The "One True" religion

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: The "One True" religion

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote:Lark_Truth:
What if there were such a thing, could that be a true religion?
You seem unwilling to define the term "True Religion". It's difficult to discuss whether one thing is equal to another thing if that second thing is undefined.

Do you define a "true religion" as a mono-theistic religion in which God's message is unambiguous to everybody and therefore impossible to misunderstand, misrepresent or corrupt? (Yes or No will do.)
I like your phrasing: "True Religion". Everyone knows the definition is: overpriced jeans. But seriously, even clothing marketers know that the phrase is an oxymoron. Sort of "Real Magic Trick".
"As usual... it depends."
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Each of has our own personal religion that evolves over time.

For some their religion does not involve truth, for others it does.

Metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts
is composed of two kinds of truths

....1a} absolute ex cosmic laws/principles,

.....1b} relative ex the sky is blue.

Our finite, occupied space Universe is our church ergo we are in church all of the time.

We practice our religion some of the time.

Religion is our tool kit to help us maneuver our life's experiences with least amount of emotional and psychic damage.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

One of your intelligible posts, Rr6.
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Would it be jumping too far off the wagon to suggest that religion at its core is a method of organizing and hopefully improving internal subjective health?

Really I think it's that extended out to a population, as a scaffold for comradery, community, moral organization, and if it's a religion really worth its salt it gives guideposts to people as to how they can increase their own virtues and integrities which is something that sells itself to any person thoughtful enough to realize that integrities and virtues are the core of what makes life and societies worth existing in.
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

Religion is our tool kit to help us maneuver our life's experiences with least amount of emotional and psychic damage.

r6
Or, more simply, a crutch to help us rationalize our circumstances.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Perhaps, Lone Wolf, perhaps.
Maybe such things can be said for an untrue religion, but a true religion should do more than that.

Question for anyone to answer: Is this post just trying to solve what the "One true religion" is or what would make up a "true religion"?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, religion is a creation of man and is therefore doomed to be less than "true" or perfect since we make it fit our own experiences and biases.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth, when you say "true" do you mean absolutely true or do you mean relatively true as in e.g. "it's true that the best way to cook eggs is soft scrambled"?
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

The example that you gave seems more like an opinion. I mean "true" as in a literal statement of fact that was not defined by opinion, but was absolutely real. For example: "this is a forum meant for philosophy discussion."
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

Any story of the solar logos and the cosmic mother, in the west at least, is a story about as old as stories seem to get. You could vet that as fatty acids and proteins compounding into cells, from the Mother's substance, and fueled and given wisdom by the seminal power of the Sun. You could consider the active and passive principles from top to bottom of the universe as well as the Son getting reestablishing his contact with the Father unto the point where he can say that I and the Father are One or that If you have seen me you have seen the Father. The later of course doesn't quite wax as scientific but it's been the experience of every mystic whose said the words 'It is not I who do these things but the One who sent me'.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lark_Truth wrote:The example that you gave seems more like an opinion. I mean "true" as in a literal statement of fact that was not defined by opinion, but was absolutely real. For example: "this is a forum meant for philosophy discussion."
I agree that the example I gave was an opinion. However sometimes cookery experts especially those who are TV celebrities offer expert opinions which their audiences tend to regard as gospel truths.

The example you gave "this is a forum for philosophy discussion" is more authoritative than my example about the best way to cook eggs. That is because the website belongs to an individual who by virtue of how our society is conducted has the right to affirm what the website is to be about. I have no such authority about the way to cook eggs.

I put it to you, Lark_Truth, on whose authority do you assert which is the one true religion?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Lark_Truth:
The example that you gave seems more like an opinion. I mean "true" as in a literal statement of fact that was not defined by opinion, but was absolutely real. For example: "this is a forum meant for philosophy discussion."
A proposition can be true or false. I don't see how a religion can, unless it contains propositions. In that case we need to examine those propositions.

When you talk about a statement of fact, as opposed to an opinion, do you mean statements like: "It is sunny outside"? I believe this statement to be true because I have just looked out of the window and can ask others to look out of the window and tell me if they agree. In order to either by "true" or "false" in the way that you suggest this religion would need to contain similar empirical propositions, would it not? Religions that I know of say things like "it is wrong to kill" or "There is only one God" or "I am the resurrection and the life". Do you think this ideal true religion would contain statements like that, or different kinds of statements?
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Belindi wrote:Lark_Truth, on whose authority do you assert which is the one true religion?
That is a question that puts me between a rock and a hard place, Belindi, and really the only option that I can see for me to answer is that it is my own authority that I say which is the one true religion, but then I would merely be stating an opinion not or not yet determined to be true, because generally truth has to be accepted by all those involved with the determining of it, which right here includes you, me, and all those who include themselves in the conversation. That is really the only option that I can see to answer such a question without sounding as if my head is as large as a hot-air balloon in saying "Oh I know this and you don't!" So if you consider your question unanswered Belindi, just acknowledge that I tried and that I tried to make myself seem not as much of a bigot as I probably am.
Steve3007 wrote:When you talk about a statement of fact, as opposed to an opinion, do you mean statements like: "It is sunny outside"? I believe this statement to be true because I have just looked out of the window and can ask others to look out of the window and tell me if they agree. In order to either by "true" or "false" in the way that you suggest this religion would need to contain similar empirical propositions, would it not? Religions that I know of say things like "it is wrong to kill" or "There is only one God" or "I am the resurrection and the life". Do you think this ideal true religion would contain statements like that, or different kinds of statements?
The way that I've heard it, that in the world, science explains the "how" of phenomenon, and religion explains the "why". It would stand to reason in explaining the "why", religion would also give proof as to why the "why" is true. A true religion might very well include statements like your examples, Steve3007, and with those statements, a true religion would offer explanation as to why those statements are indeed true.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Lark_Truth:
a true religion would offer explanation as to why those statements are indeed true.
What does the word "why" mean?

How do you think a true religion could explain why there is only one god in a way that would make the statement "there is only one god" true?

If I say "it is sunny outside" and somebody says "why?" and I reply "because there are no clouds in the sky", is this a proper use of the word "why"?
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

If a religion says the statement "there is only one god" they have to give an explanation why there is only one god. They just can't throw it out there and leave it at that.
I would think that your last sentence is a proper use of the word "why", but we're here to talk religion, not English grammar.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream