The "One True" religion

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Gamnot

Re: The "One True" religion

Post by Gamnot »

Belindi wrote:Gamnot wrote;
The integral theorist, Ken Wilbur, says that no one is 100% wrong, but I am sure that some are closer to being completely wrong than others. In some cases different religions may be hitting the same target with some being closer to the bulls-eye than others. Because of fixations, conditioning factors and our self created blind spots we cannot know how close to the bulls-eye we are. Some religions or ideologies miss the target altogether.
But dont you agree that some cultures of belief are better than others? Cannot you, personally, come off the fence and declare which beliefs are better than others, and why they are better?

If not, you must be unable to vote in a political election.
I am not in a culture of belief except on the internet. I spend time on Christian Existentialism feeds on face book. I do not have any one favorite philosopher or writer, I am for the most part in tune with the thinking of Soren Kierkegaard the Protestant, Nikolai Berdyeav from Orthodoxy, Gabriel Marcel the Catholic, A. J. Herschel the Jewish scholar, Jose Ortega Y Gasset the Spanish philosopher and some others. The aforementioned Christian Existentialists are more concrete, logically tight, and personalistic in their thinking.

In the USA I am able to vote; I can choose between chasing the wind with the conservatives or plowing the sea with the liberals.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

How exactly do you come up with all of that Rr6? :shock: :?

Gamnot, I noticed that you wrote how nobody is 100% wrong - which can be interpreted to read no religion is 100% wrong, which I believe to be very true as well as every religion having a part of the truth - but as a true religion requires 100% of the truth, or at least 100% of the truth given to mankind by deity, then that true religion would have divine communication from God to keep that religion within the parameters that God has set.
To give some examples from the Old Testament, the people who had been raised in the gospel kept on falling away from it into evil, and God kept on having to send prophets to teach the people - whether they would listen or not - and get those who would listen to those prophets back on course. Every time there were not prophets the people kept on falling away. About the time of the birth of Christ, there was a lot of corruption in the leaders of the Jews, the oral law was being placed before the Law of Moses, and Christ came and gave them correct principles, His Apostles and missionaries did the same thing after Christ was gone.
So it seems that revelation is needed from God to man in order to keep religion in order, because if there isn't, then people begin to go astray.
I've brought up this point before, but nobody seems to reply.

(Gamnot, your Christian Existentialists sound like a good bunch.)
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I've brought up this point before, but nobody seems to reply.
Why do you think that is?
Unknown means unknown.
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Lark_Truth wrote:How exactly do you come up with all of that Rr6? :shock: :?
As always I need specific comments your addressing.

Here is link to autos with alerts in mirrors for blind spots.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/are- ... ney-225249

When will have alerts for humans when their not aware of their blind spot to truth. Our current president needs one of these badly, tho with narcissist it is waste of money, still, first step towards sanity is 50% acknowledging there exists a problem, tand then 50% doing something about it.

r6 ( * I * )
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Rayliikanen

Post by Rayliikanen »

Buddhism is indeed a religion. Religions have a dogma, and Budha certainly expounded dogma--Buddhists also claim to have the one true religion, all others are hence, false. What's wrong with just thinking for oneself? Why do we need a religion founded by in many cases, groups of elders who think they know better, or who just have the desire the rule over and manipulate others for their profit?
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Rayliikanen wrote:Buddhism is indeed a religion. Religions have a dogma, and Budha certainly expounded dogma--Buddhists also claim to have the one true religion, all others are hence, false. What's wrong with just thinking for oneself? Why do we need a religion founded by in many cases, groups of elders who think they know better, or who just have the desire the rule over and manipulate others for their profit?
Nah, Buddhism proper and genuine Buddhists has never claimed Buddhism to be the one true religion.

The recognition of Buddhism as a religion is merely a side-effect.
The central mission of Buddhism is to highlight each individual [therefrom the collective] has a major existential problem and it proposed an effective problem solving technique to resolve this critical problem [dukkha].
see
Buddha's 4NT-8FP -A Life Problem Solving Technique
http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=7378

Buddhism do not promote dogma.
See Kalama Sutta;
The Kālāma Sutta is a discourse of the Buddha contained in the Aṅguttara Nikaya of the Tipiṭaka.[1] It is often cited by those of the Theravada and Mahayana traditions alike as the Buddha's "charter of free inquiry."

The Kālāma Sutta is also used for advocating prudence by the use of sound logical reasoning arguments for inquiries in the practice that relates to the discipline of seeking truth, wisdom and knowledge whether it is religious or not.
In short, the Kālāma Sutta is opposed to blind faith, dogmatism and belief spawned from specious reasoning.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Gamnot wrote: In the USA I am able to vote; I can choose between chasing the wind with the conservatives or plowing the sea with the liberals.
Both sound as fun activities, certainly it begs for further explanation for "plowing" technique :)

As for the OP question, it's as if asking which poem or novel is the "true" description of Love. All of them have something interesting to convey but none is the only source of knowledge. Except that perhaps Christianity is the most universal for most people, except for exclusion of some, not by the religion but the practice.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

In short, the Kālāma Sutta is opposed to blind faith, dogmatism and belief spawned from specious reasoning.
I'm not convinced you can have a lack of belief in Karma, Reincarnation and the ultimately nihilist core belief that life is somehow horrible and the goal of life should be to cease to exist. I mean if you can be open minded about that kind of stuff and say you don't agree would you still be welcome as a Buddhist priest? If you pointed to the complete lack of empirical evidence and stated your own belief that life doesn't work like that and they are all misguided, again can you still be a Buddhist priest?
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream