Reincarnation

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Reincarnation

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

What do you think about reincarnation? Do you think that belief in reincarnation compatible with most major religions or not? Do you think a non-religious person can believe in reincarnation?

I guess it depends on how we define reincarnation. In some ways, we get memories (i.e. information and knowledge) passed down to us both genetically and culturally, most notably as instincts. But most people think of reincarnation as more metaphysical than that.

What do you think?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

In my opinion every creature on the planet has a soul even inanimate objects, when the creatures body dies, the soul lives on and "sits" in this "waiting room" for soul to be recycled into other life forms just coming into existence or it goes to heaven but personally for me i don't believe in hell in a conventional sense where souls are tortured so i think they just sit and wait almost like a lottery.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
jrscott

Post by jrscott »

I think reincarnation without God is defensible. One might ask how a soul can leave one deceased body and enter another, but this seems no more problematic than the idea of a soul attaching itself to its first body, a notion which any dualist must accept. Of course, not being a substance dualist, I don't believe in reincarnation. But I don't think belief in int requires God.[/quote]
Chosen-one
New Trial Member

Re: Reincarnation

Post by Chosen-one »

There are many evidence of Reincarnation both in western and eastern world. People who remember their past live. Youtube it.
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

Genetics is not really reincarnation. Reincarnation implies rebirth of the same person. Seems to me like a pointless phenomenon even if it does exist though it seems highly unlikely. And I simply cannot understand what the soul does. It just sits there in the body doing nothing and gets born over and over again. I haven't heard of a more ridiculous occupation ever.
A little knowledge is a religious thing.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Reincarnation from a statistical standpoint is like a pyramid scheme in reverse. There aren't enough prior people to account for the numbers of current residents of the planet.
"As usual... it depends."
Felix

Post by Felix »

LuckyR, Reincarnation is supposedly a progressive process, you've got life on many other planets, transmigration from lower to higher forms of life, and those who graduate and get off the rebirth merry-go-round. Due to the difficulty of counting souls, statistical analysis is very challenging.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Felix wrote:LuckyR, Reincarnation is supposedly a progressive process, you've got life on many other planets, transmigration from lower to higher forms of life, and those who graduate and get off the rebirth merry-go-round. Due to the difficulty of counting souls, statistical analysis is very challenging.
Well, based on your post, making stuff up seems a lot more "challenging" than statistics.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Is that a compliment, LR? I can't tell.

I didn't make that up though, it came straight from the Akashic records - with full stereophonic surround sound.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

I don't believe in reincarnation but claim that with our present body of knowledge, it is possible, both with or without the intervention of a real or invented god.

You see, my reasoning goes like this: We know practically nothing about the soul, but its very highly probable existence, and its obvious attachment of one soul for every one individual.

Beyond this -- nada. So any belief is valid, not for the evidence presented, but for the lack thereof.

This might change over time. Maybe.

In the turn of the century - 1800s to 1900s - there was a scientist who measured the weight of dying sheep. He noticed a 20 g (one ounce) fluctuation in their weights around the time they died. This meant to him, that souls exited the sheep's body as it died, and others, seeing a live body, "tried it on for size", so to speak, and entered and the quickly exited again when they realized what they got into.

So this was one tested theory that linked soul to a physical quality - mass. Unfortunately this scientist's measuring instrument was calibrated so that 20 grams was below its discerning sensing capacity. And there have been no more experiments on this that I read about. I repeated it, and got into the same problem as the original... the measuring instrument did not discern under 1/1000s of the entire weight measured.

However, if one assumes (at this point fantastically, not on evidence) that soul has mass... then... perhaps Black Matter or Black Energy is made of soul material. That's what gives the extra, undetectable-of-source, weight to our universe.
Ignorance is power.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Felix wrote:Is that a compliment, LR? I can't tell.

I didn't make that up though, it came straight from the Akashic records - with full stereophonic surround sound.
To me the glass is always half full, therefore I never insult people, least of all on this Forum. I guess whether stuff is made up or not depends on whether "cuz I said so" qualifies as "proof".
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Imagine it. Starting out entirely ignorant and having to go the entire sh1tfight all over again. The childhood confusion, teenage angst, twenties anxiety and thirties disconnection and dislocation - having to go through all the same kinds of trials and pains to provide all that hard won knowledge and character depth which is purportedly pointlessly lost to the world completely after death. The new blank slate must once again, having seemingly gained almost infinitesimal benefits from the previous outing. No matter how "good" they were in a previous life they still must burn and suffer and strain and struggle and grieve and cry and writhe in agony all over again - and again and again.

Compare the above with the "lights out" notion that we disappear entirely at death. The game is over, bringing an end of cause and effect as far as you are concerned. No more pain, loss, grief or no worry, just effectively falling into an endless dreamless deep sleep without ever being woken by an alarm or the need to pee.

Yet those who believe in reincarnation tend to be told they are engaging in wishful thinking :lol:.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Renee: We know practically nothing about the soul, but its very highly probable existence, and its obvious attachment of one soul for every one individual.
There is not agreement on the latter, i.e., one soul per customer, could be one per conscious species, so humankind could have a collective soul that holographically "reincarnates" in individual bodies.

Re: measuring the mass of the soul after death, one would have to know exactly when the soul left the body. Occultists say it is a slow process that can take hours or even days.
perhaps Black Matter or Black Energy is made of soul material. That's what gives the extra, undetectable-of-source, weight to our universe.
Good premise for a sci-fi novel: evil genius breaks into the dark energy soul vault, steals the souls and holds them for ransom. Sort of Faust in reverse, instead of buying your soul, he'll sell it to you. Talk about a hard sell though....
Greta: The new blank slate must once again, having seemingly gained almost infinitesimal benefits from the previous outing.
Why assume the development is always infinistesimal? There may be momentous leaps of growth in some lifetimes.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Felix wrote:
Greta: The new blank slate must once again, having seemingly gained almost infinitesimal benefits from the previous outing.
Why assume the development is always infinistesimal? There may be momentous leaps of growth in some lifetimes.
I wondered about that before writing and decided to stick with "infinitesimal". Let's say that one achieves significant personal growth during life that is not lost death but carried over to the next life, reducing the number of mistakes made. Even so, that unfortunate reincarnated human still has to fight his or her way through all the developmental hurdles, and re-learn so much that was learned last time.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Felix wrote: Good premise for a sci-fi novel: evil genius breaks into the dark energy soul vault, steals the souls and holds them for ransom. Sort of Faust in reverse, instead of buying your soul, he'll sell it to you. Talk about a hard sell though.....
Very imaginative... and workable.

I suggest, if you are a reader, a wonderful little book by Terry Pratchett, "Feet of Clay". He masterfully deals with the delicate and intriguing matter of inanimate objects acquiring an identity, a self, a soul. He mixes in irony and humour as well, whereby a religious cult purports to be an expert on matters of the soul, and wants to convert people to its faith, and they go door-to-door as their religion dictates, to proselytize; but they never convert one single soul.

Then come these individuals, and these do NOT take their soul for granted. Very moving writing. And the religious nuts try to push their beliefs on these, who are just tasting and trying on their souls, but instead of a blank and blase, jaded overall rejection that people give them, the new life forms give them thoughtful, very probing answers, or questions, and they reject the religious nuts meritfully. A wonderful little book. One of my favourites, although it has many boring parts. It also contains a math conundrum which I haven't been able to solve yet.

Careful: Pratchett is a leftist writer, which agrees with me, but many American souls reject his type of sentiments.
Ignorance is power.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream