Is Strong Atheism Sophistry, or Evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Meleagar

Is Strong Atheism Sophistry, or Evil?

Post by Meleagar »

As the debate in my other thread about sophistry unfolded about determinism, I realized that the same argument can be made about strong atheism, or the belief that no god or gods exist.

I know that the weak atheist position (the lack of belief that any gods exist) might be more properly defensible (I will make my case against weak atheism in another thread), but this debate is not about weak atheism.

First, it is obvious that strong atheism cannot be logically supported, simply because it is impossible to prove (not in the absolute sense, but in the "sufficient evidence" sense). There may be evidence that certain gods, or kinds of gods, do not exist; but there is certainly no evidence or argument (that I'm aware of, anyway) that no significant, meaningful god or gods whatsoever exist.

Like determinism, strong atheism is a sweeping, categorical assertion that something does not exist; determinism asserts that acausal causes do not exist; strong atheism asserts that no significant god or gods exist. Like determinism, where the non-determinist is not metaphysically committed to the categorical non-existence of a potentially true explanation (acausality), the non-strong atheist is not metaphysically committed to the nonexistence of a potentially true explanation - that a nontrivial god of some sort might exist.

What is the useful point of a metaphysical position that excludes a potentially true explanation from consideration?

If one defines "evil" as that which prevents or confounds the discernment of true statements (which I do), then how can a metaphysical position which intrinsically denies a potentially true statement be considered anything other than evil? Even if one doesn't accept my definition of evil, what can the purpose of such a position be other than to thwart any interpretation of evidence or conclusion that a god of some sort exists, whether true or not?

Like determinism in the other thread, what does strong atheism bring to the table of debate other than the potential for intractable error and denial of potential truth?
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

Strictly speaking I am agnostic concerning leprachauns. The existence of leprachauns is a possibility that I cannot deny with the kind of certainty that I reserve for philosophical discussions. I live my life, however, as if leprachauns are fictitious and do not exist; I strongly believe that there are no leprachauns. It is important to note however that I am not "excluding a potentially true explanation from consideration". I am willing to consider arguments involving leprachauns provided that they are sincere arguments. I would consider evidence for their existence if any were found. But until I hear of a convincing case for leprachauns, I will continue to treat leprachauns as fictitious and go about my life as if there weren't any. A belief that there are no leprachauns doesn't necessarily exclude from consideration the possibility that leprachauns exist.

What does my position concerning leprachauns bring to the table? I believe it is a reasonable, and certainly not, evil, position to hold. There may indeed be leprachauns. In philosophy I am willing to consider all sorts of possibilities that I would ordinarily ignore. When I'm not engaged in armchair philosophy, though, I am less interested in these sort of possibilities. Given that I am yet to be convinced of the existence of leprachauns, I consider it impractical for me to have to accommodate the possibility of leprachauns existing in my everyday life. Some may believe in leprachauns; so be it. But in my own life I am not about to check under toadstools or go looking for a pot of gold under a rainbow just because I can't rule out the existence of leprachauns, so to speak.
Meleagar wrote:If one defines "evil" as that which prevents or confounds the discernment of true statements (which I do), then how can a metaphysical position which intrinsically denies a potentially true statement be considered anything other than evil?
Under this definition, theism may also be considered evil. You state that atheism is evil because it "intrinsically denies a potentially true statement". Since theism does the same, it too must be considered evil. There are no gods is a potentially true statement that is denied by theists, according to your definitions, no?
Meleagar

Post by Meleagar »

pjkeely,

Nobody has made an argument about leprechauns, nor about whether or not theism is evil or sophistry. Please keep your argument on topic.

If your statements about leprechauns are supposed to be analogous to statements about god or gods, the same argument applies. I didn't say that the consideration that it might be true that no gods exist is inherently evil or a case of sophistry; quite the contrary. It is only by considering such a case that one can discern true statements about whether or not god exists, and whether or not one's position about the existence of god or gods is a rationally supportable position - meaning, in service of discerning truthful statements.

IOW, it might be true that leprechauns exist; there is no reason to hold a metaphysical position that they in fact do not exist, any more than there was any reason to hold a metaphysical position that mountain gorillas do not exist, or that other planets around other stars do not exist, or that stones do not fall from the sky - all of which were, at one time or another, equally compared to derogatory analogies as you did with the leprechaun association.

The argument is about the metaphysical position of strong atheism, nothing else. If you have no argument to make about that, then you have no on-topic contribution to make here.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Sure, strong atheism is as much what you call "sophistry" as theism is--assuming both are a belief held without evidence. (As you said, we're not talking about a specific god for which there could be alleged evidence for or against, but about a general idea of there being at least one god.)

Although, I recommend you check out my post Default positions and the increased burden of proof about which position in terms of any proposition (not just religious ones) is, in the absence of empirical evidence, inherently more believable as a matter of rationality, perhaps even a priori.
Meleagar wrote:What is the useful point of a metaphysical position that excludes a potentially true explanation from consideration?
Does a mere belief exclude one from accepting a potentially true explanation after re-consideration of the evidence or the presentation of new evidence? I believe there is milk in my refrigerator based on the evidence I currently have (there was plenty of milk in there yesterday and my wife almost never uses it except small amounts for cooking). But if I go over there and look in and can't find any milk, then that new evidence would likely change my belief.

Finally, the word 'god is broad and there may be many things that some people call 'god' that a self-described strong atheist either believes in or at least does not postively disbelief in. I think these definitions cover what strong atheists are generally saying they positively believe do not exist:
The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition wrote:1. God
a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
So an atheist, by those definitions is a person who (1) believes there is no perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, and who (2) believes no being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, exists. Using such a definition I would qualify myself as a strong atheist meaning both of those statements describe my belief which I hold with as no moor rigor as I do the belief there is milk in my fridge. Though it may be what Meleagar calls "sophistry" for someone to ask me if I am strong atheist as such; I would agree to the extent that asking me if I believe there is a unicorn on Mars and me saying I believe there is not is "sophistry." To consider the existence or non-existence of things that have no evidence such as gods and unicorns is relatively pointless, I agree.
Last edited by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes on August 9th, 2010, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

Meleagar wrote:IOW, it might be true that leprechauns exist; there is no reason to hold a metaphysical position that they in fact do not exist...
It is impractical to have to accommodate the mere possibility that leprachauns exist in my life. That is a good enough reason for me to hold the metaphysical position that leprachauns do no exist. This does not necessarily mean that I exclude the possibility of leprachauns existing in a philosophical discussion, evidence of leprachauns or arguments for the existence of leprachauns. That was my argument. I agree with Scott's point:
Scott wrote:Does a mere belief exclude one from accepting a potentially true explanation after re-consideration of the evidence or the presentation of new evidence? I believe there is milk in my refrigerator based on the evidence I currently have (there was plenty of milk in there yesterday and my wife almost never uses it except small amounts for cooking). But if I go over there and look in and can't find any milk, then that new evidence would likely change my belief.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Meleagar, just because you consider a position to have no evidence in support of it, does not mean proponents of that position believe there is no evidence in support of it. Therefore it is unfair for you to accuse those proponents of sophistry or dishonesty.
"I have nothing new to teach the world" -Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi
Meleagar

Post by Meleagar »

Scott:

Since you have agreed that your position is sophistry (as defined in this debate), I don't see that we have anything left to debate on the matter of strong atheism.
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

I note that you apparently have nothing to say on the subject of whether theism is also evil under your definition, Meleagar.
pjkeeley wrote:
Meleagar wrote: If one defines "evil" as that which prevents or confounds the discernment of true statements (which I do), then how can a metaphysical position which intrinsically denies a potentially true statement be considered anything other than evil?
Under this definition, theism may also be considered evil. You state that atheism is evil because it "intrinsically denies a potentially true statement". Since theism does the same, it too must be considered evil. There are no gods is a potentially true statement that is denied by theists, according to your definitions, no?
Meleagar

Post by Meleagar »

pjkeeley wrote:I note that you apparently have nothing to say on the subject of whether theism is also evil under your definition, Meleagar.
Like any positive claim that a thing exists, it might be possible to experience that thing and know it exists empirically, which gives theism at least the potential to be a known, true claim. As far as I know and has been shown here, strong atheism has no such potential; it cannot be "experienced", and cannot even rationally be asserted as true. It can only be asserted from pure faith, not reason or evidence.
Keith Russell

Post by Keith Russell »

Strong atheism cannot be logically supported, because it is unable to be "proved"?

What can be "proved", other than that I am conscious, and that I exist (and then, that can only be "proved" to myself. To everyone else it is only a supposition, not a fact.)

Until there is siginificant, abundant, independently verifiable, non-contradictory evidence (note: "evidence", not "proof") that God (or gods) exist, there is no reason to believe in God (or gods).

It's as simple as that.
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

Meleagar wrote:Like any positive claim that a thing exists, it might be possible to experience that thing and know it exists empirically, which gives theism at least the potential to be a known, true claim. As far as I know and has been shown here, strong atheism has no such potential; it cannot be "experienced", and cannot even rationally be asserted as true. It can only be asserted from pure faith, not reason or evidence.
Regardless, theism fits your definition of evil since it denies a potentially true statement. Your definition is flawed.
Meleagar

Post by Meleagar »

pjkeeley wrote: Regardless, theism fits your definition of evil since it denies a potentially true statement. Your definition is flawed.
I think it is rather your straw man mischaracterization of my definition that is flawed, because that is not how I defined or explained my concept of evil.
Stirling
Favorite Philosopher: Friedrich Nietzsche

Post by Stirling »

I would like to point out the complete irrelevance and ideaistic nature of metaphysics. Nothing in it can be proven. It is subjective, abstract mumbling at its highest. What is existing? What is being? Even Heidegger suggested that these aren't something to be proven as such but merely "observed" where understood.

And now, what is God? If I might ask the lot of you who believe in Him, what evidence do we have of His supposed existence?

For logic's sake, what do we have to argue off of aside from the common absolute that everything must have a definitive purpose, in its existence and function?

I agree with Scott. I would lastly like to point out the necessity of the burden of proof: it lies with those who claim the existence of something.
"Live slow, die eventually, leave an indifferently attractive corpse. That's my motto." - David Mitchell

"By a sarcasm of law and phrase they were freemen." - Mark Twain
Meleagar

Post by Meleagar »

Stirling wrote:I would like to point out the complete irrelevance and ideaistic nature of metaphysics. Nothing in it can be proven. It is subjective, abstract mumbling at its highest."
Please stay on topic.

If you wish to make a metaphysical argument that metaphysical arguments are irrelevant and nothing but abstract mumbling, then I suggest you start a thread about it in the metaphysics section, instead of taking my thread off-topic.

Thank you.
Alun

Post by Alun »

I think he's arguing that strong atheism is a logical position, but I could be wrong.
"I have nothing new to teach the world" -Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream