Can god make an object so big even he can't move it?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
cynicallyinsane
Posts: 119
Joined: March 3rd, 2007, 11:58 am

Post by cynicallyinsane » April 22nd, 2007, 1:05 am

MyshiningOne wrote:
philoreaderguy wrote: Yes, that's what I think. I think the concept of omnipotence is contradictory and thus an omnipotent thing is inherently non-existent.
It makes me tired just thinking about it!
It's hard to think about, yeah.

Truthdealer2121
Posts: 3
Joined: November 19th, 2007, 3:13 am

Re: Can god make an object so big even he can't move it?

Post by Truthdealer2121 » November 19th, 2007, 9:04 pm

philoreaderguy wrote:God is all powerful, right? That means that he can do anything, right? Well, can he make an object so big that even he can't move it?

God of the Bible atleast is not Illogical like us as Humans God is logic and Can not go against him self

Logic can only from Eternal logic because Logic does not come from non -logic ;)


There are some things God can not do because he can't go against his nature, he can't lie, or do evil or go against his nature which is good and logical

complimentarymatters
Posts: 39
Joined: October 30th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Post by complimentarymatters » November 19th, 2007, 11:15 pm

So TruthDealer, you are saying that God is not actually all-powerful?

skeptic griggsy
Posts: 7
Joined: November 30th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Post by skeptic griggsy » November 30th, 2007, 7:29 pm

Ah, first one must demonstrate His attributes rather just feel they exist! Evil suggests a limited god.

kyle22
Posts: 60
Joined: November 20th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Post by kyle22 » December 1st, 2007, 1:53 am

skeptic griggsy, that is a good point. If god is all-powerful, why is there evil? Wouldn't an all-powerful god be able to defeat evil?

Patrarch
Posts: 81
Joined: November 11th, 2007, 4:54 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT
Contact:

Post by Patrarch » December 1st, 2007, 10:33 am

Yes kyle, the problem of evil is a big problem for the christian God, not so much for the deist.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

pita dasa
Posts: 2
Joined: December 7th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Post by pita dasa » December 7th, 2007, 1:43 pm

God being the cause of all other causes is therefore the source of all quailties.God therefore must posses all strength,all beauty,all intelligent ,all fame and all renouceiation .
We are have a percentage of these god like quailties and when we poses one or more of them to a great degree in this world one becomes very well known for it but God has all quailties in completeness .
Marliyn Monroe a famous beauty Eienstien famous for intellgence Atlas famous for strength but they are all lacking in other quailties Marliyn is not well known for intellgence or Eienstien for beauty.
God tho is the most famous because all of these qualties are there in full.
So can God create a rock biger than He can lift?
The answer is yes, He can and as He is Dynamtic ever increasing He can in an instant the pick it up. :D

pita dasa
Posts: 2
Joined: December 7th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Post by pita dasa » December 7th, 2007, 1:54 pm

kyle22 wrote:skeptic griggsy, that is a good point. If god is all-powerful, why is there evil? Wouldn't an all-powerful god be able to defeat evil?
God being all powerful is defeating evil as soon as we reguest Him .Forgetfulness of God absent of His power and protection evil volentary appears .
Does the Sun produce darkness? Darkness appears because of the absent of light. When there is an absent of God remenberence worship understanding evil appears
God never forces Himself on us but is there when we ask Him want Him to be.

anarchyisbliss
Posts: 515
Joined: February 28th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Post by anarchyisbliss » February 28th, 2008, 5:02 pm

yes because God logic is superior to human logic so he would be able to move it and also make something he cannot move with seem illogical but as i said earlier it doesn't matter because God's logic is better than ours.

anarchyisbliss
Posts: 515
Joined: February 28th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Can god make an object so big even he can't move it?

Post by anarchyisbliss » February 28th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Truthdealer2121 wrote:
philoreaderguy wrote:God is all powerful, right? That means that he can do anything, right? Well, can he make an object so big that even he can't move it?


There are some things God can not do because he can't go against his nature, he can't lie, or do evil or go against his nature which is good and logical
i disagree with this God is not good in the ethical sense I imagine it is more of a pureness in his being he can do evil because he could kill someone which to us would be evil, but God is superior and probably doesn't waste his time contemplating ethics which are essentially a waste of time

Wayne92587
Posts: 1756
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Re: Can god make an object so big even he can't move it?

Post by Wayne92587 » February 25th, 2018, 12:29 pm

God is Omniscient, all powerful!
However because God is not a material Reality, is a Spiritual Reality, an immaterial Reality, God does not have the physical leverage to do work.

God does not make rocks.
God merely created the process by which rocks are made, Cause and Effect, which has resulted in a System of Chaos.


The System Chaos as it brings order to the Universe creates the rock, is the Creator of the Whole of Reality.

The System of Chaos can not create a rock that it can not lift.

Post Reply