Monotheism vs Polytheism

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.

Monotheism vs Polythesim

Monotheism
No votes
Polytheism
100%
Wittism
No votes

Total votes: 1

Abiathar

Monotheism vs Polytheism

Post by Abiathar »

This will likely be my last original topic for awhile, as I am running out of varied ideas that I think that others might actually discuss. Unfortunately, like most of my ideas, it is rather hair-brained and the logic somewhat fuzzy. In this I hope to get feedback from everyone, from Atheists and beyond, as no matter your perspective this argument is decidedly black and white, or atleast a shades of grey that seems to bear within it alot of white and black.

My standpoint on this, as an anthromorphic personificationist, doesn't really matter, so what I will attempt to do is give the opening grounds for the ensuing conversation, and then join it after a couple of posts on either side. I will then, also, be hiding behind my house, drinking coffee, for many hours to avoid the ensuing riot. I would, however, if at all possible, ask that reponses be detailed and holding with them a shred of proof or example. If at all possible, I would thoroughly enjoy the proving of one or the other, or atleast a good fight. The reason for this is that we all, fully, understand that Christians = Monotheist, Many = Polytheists, and Atheists = Amazing wells of knowledge on religion, and their opinions will not change without some proof, and the conversation can go on forever, as it already has. However, feel free to post your theory on this with or without proof, as I often do not provide proof/examples unless explicitly asked, namely to save space.

Polytheists:
There are many biblical references to the 'other' gods and in the book of Exodus during Solomon's reign it even goes so far as to name them, as Solomon himself built temples to them in Jerusalem.

For thousands of years the world was polytheistic as almost a whole, very very few small sects were monotheistic.

Polytheists, ancient, claim to have interacted with their gods on a daily basis, and went so far as very detailed descriptions of their appearances.

The asigning of many gods has been an almost inborn human trait since we learned to draw on caves.

Monotheists:
The universe, to current astrophysics and theory, began with a singular point where-in even the concepts of Time and Space were simply part of it, and has now been expanding forever. We cannot explain 'The Singularity' or any of its functions, beyond good math saying that is what happened.

Much of the bible has been proven in references to Places, People, and major events. Though at times its perspective is a bit off, it still reads true in many ways.

The concil of Mycene destroyed the bible however the Talmud is, thus far, found to be vastly more accurate than the 'bible'. Though differing from Christian views, much of it has been proven as well.

The Arabic nations, the nations of Islam, were building palaces of marble and gold when the rest of the world lived in little huts and tents, and they were still Islamic.

Atheists:
Be nice.
"I aspire to say in ten sentences what one would say in a novel... and would not say" ~Nietzsche
Johannes Climacus

Post by Johannes Climacus »

An interesting topic to be sure; this is how I think about the theories:

Polytheism has been considered to be just a elaborate dressup of Monotheism. The different Gods such as the God of War, God of Love, etc. can be described as aspects of the greater whole, a Supreme Being that manifests these qualities in "Gods". Plus, our definition of God has also changed throughout history to accomodate this idea; if a "God" is so much more powerful, why can't a God of War manifest the qualities of a God of Love? Isn't a God supposed to perfect in all aspects?

Then we get to civilization that has cut the fat and turned to Monotheism. A Supreme Being that contains all known aspects of the Gods in one Being, must be much more powerful than any one of the Gods. But then, we realize; God has these attributes of humans: this God is just like us with the emotions of love, anger, intelligence, beauty (and in greater qualities than humans), except He is also all powerful, all knowing, all loving.

And this is the modern day viewpoint. God has become something man-made; a greater mirror image of ourselves. Feuerbach described this as man creating God in his own image, not vice-versa. Something that we create in order to think that there is something greater than ourselves. Atheists dismiss God as a fantasy (although a particularly strong fantasy that has affected human history).

I am an agnostic. I'm not an atheist who is going to simply dismiss human religious history as bullsh*t. I am not a theist, because I can't ignore the fact that the conception of God has changed throughout history, into something that is may likely changed into some human corruption that is nothing like an actual God or Gods.
Chosen-one
New Trial Member

Re: Monotheism vs Polytheism

Post by Chosen-one »

In hinduism you can be any or all of monotheism, polytheism and atheism. God does not have number. God is beyond number. whether you
are monotheism, polytheism and atheism depend on personal form you give Brahman.
Bryntyrch2016
New Trial Member

Post by Bryntyrch2016 »

If you are a Deist you have, at least, a disposition to accept that the proposition: Gods exist. Is true. If you are an honest Deist, its difficult to say a. It is possible for Gods to exist but b. There cant be more than one. Compare: I believe there are intelligent Americans, but there can only ever be one. (Might explain the election of course).
A theist is a deist who thinks the God(s) have some relation to humans - they built us and or have some plan for us. That would allow for cultural monotheism: God Thoth is the ONLY god who cares for Egyptians, God Jehovah is the ONLY God for Jews etc. Universal mono theism is, for me, incoherent. I suspect the Romans had the right solution : introduce your local God to the other cultures God: they often get along fine - your God in Bath is Sulis, and this is her temple? Well here's Minerva who does the same **** for us. What if we call her Sulis Minerva? Nice one Centurion!
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Chosen-one wrote:In hinduism you can be any or all of monotheism, polytheism and atheism. God does not have number. God is beyond number. whether you
are monotheism, polytheism and atheism depend on personal form you give Brahman.
So, for atheists, Brahman has the number zero assigned to it.

(Little known trivia: Seinfeld, the TV show, featured Brahman prominently in one of the episodes... can you guess which one?)
Ignorance is power.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream