Are we all born an Atheist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Re: Are we all born an Atheist?

Post by Thinking critical »

Dark Matter wrote: June 21st, 2018, 11:24 am
Thinking critical wrote: June 21st, 2018, 7:32 am ...some people just don't give a rats ass about these sort of questions.
Correct. And so they live their lives at the level of a cockroach.
Really? Why so?
People who have this perspection of other human beings must live their lives at the level of a fly, they just hang around annoying people until someone eventually swats them with a rolled up newspaper.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Eduk wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 3:26 am So you believe in God because of the utility of said belief?
Personally I am of the opinion that the greatest utility comes from accuracy.
I don't think it is so easy to separate those two out. And we all follow heuristics, for example, that we consciously or unconsciously, have decided are useful. They get us, or at least we think they do, what we want, or help us deal with what is happening. Unless we are talking about some kind of apriori knowledge, beliefs all have some use and we base our sense on their being accurate on some portion of that use. Like, they allow us to predict things in lab conditions. Or, when I do X, I feel better, get more Y or whatever.
I've never met anyone who does not work with knowledge based on utilility. In fact I have never met anyone who did not believe certain things to be true and act on them - at least in their minds effectively - PLUS these beliefs have not been, for example, confirmed by science. And that includes scientists and atheists and skeptics, etc.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Separation seem pretty profound to me? Take Pascal's wager where he argued there was greater utility in belief in God. Let us imagine that I believed that claim. I would still not believe in God because belief is not based purely on utility. To give a simpler example if you said you would give me a million pound is I believed you were two hundred feet tall would I be able to believe that? Can you simply decide to believe something in this manner?
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dark Matter wrote: June 21st, 2018, 11:58 pm
Eduk wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:51 pm Ok well I find your choice impossibly vague. Perhaps I have chosen to your satisfaction without even realising that I have done so?
I think you're over thinking things. It really quite simple.

1. Evidence suggests (but does not prove) that humans are born with a natural inclination towards religion.
2. Even if there is not this natural inclination, even if we are born as atheists, no one can seriously question humans are compelled to make sense of the world.
3. As we pursue reality to an ultimate conclusion, we come face to face with a choice: do we believe the impetus is mechanism or will?
4. There is absolutely no reason to choose one over the other. (No choice is also a choice.)
5. Our choice has profound psychological and sociological consequences. .

That it. Pretty simple. This says nothing at all about God`s existence, but I have presented evidence (and can present a lot more) that it is healthier than not to have myth help orient our lives..
Great post. No one can answer the thread's posed question (the are "we all born" part) but the societal pressures of pre-existing religion and intrinsic curiosity as to origin stories are both huge drivers for filling the void of the (typically) unknowable with something, classically myth.
"As usual... it depends."
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:49 am
Dark Matter wrote: June 21st, 2018, 11:24 am

Correct. And so they live their lives at the level of a cockroach.
Really? Why so?
People who have this perspection of other human beings must live their lives at the level of a fly, they just hang around annoying people until someone eventually swats them with a rolled up newspaper.
There, there. There's no need to get all hot and bothered. It's just that cockroaches don't care about existential questions, either. I can and and paste excerpts that explain why that's not healthy for society or the individual, but there's enough information out there so it isn't really necessary.
Thinking critical

Dark Matter wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm
Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:49 am
Really? Why so?
There, there. There's no need to get all hot and bothered. It's just that cockroaches don't care about existential questions, either. I can and and paste excerpts that explain why that's not healthy for society or the individual, but there's enough information out there so it isn't really necessary.
The views of others in regards to what they believe people ought to think or not think about is of absolutely no interest to me. The need to project personal biases and opinions in order to classify or stereotype people based on such arbitrary things such as the desire to deeply contemplate the origin and nature of reality is nothing more than intellectual masturbation for people with insecurities.
As for the cockroaches, it's not that they don't care about such questions, the difference is one has the ability to think existentially and the other does not. Weather we choose to exercise this ability or not is irrelevant.
phenomenal_graffiti
Favorite Philosopher: George Berkeley

Post by phenomenal_graffiti »

Atheist typically means someone who does not believe in the existence of gods after having learned the concept.

Non-theist=someone who can neither believe nor disbelieve in gods as one has not as yet encountered the concept.

If one accepts the above definitions, we are born non-theist.

Depending on the philosophy of one's parents or caregivers, one is then taught to be theist or atheist.

In adulthood, one may experience changes to ones thinking in which an atheist may become theist (very rare) and a theist may become atheist (common).
We are currently living within the mind of Jesus Christ as he is currently being crucified. One may think there is no God, or if one believes in God, one thinks one lives outside the mind of Christ in a post-crucifixion present.

In other news...
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

phenomenal_graffiti wrote: June 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm Atheist typically means someone who does not believe in the existence of gods after having learned the concept.

Non-theist=someone who can neither believe nor disbelieve in gods as one has not as yet encountered the concept.

Non theist is the same as atheist; definitively, etymologically.
Both impose upon a person a concept of god which they either do not accept, or are ignorant of.
Both can only ever exist in a culture that has the idea of a god.
If no idea of god exists a neither phrase would exist.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Thinking critical wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:36 pm As for the cockroaches, it's not that they don't care about such questions, the difference is one has the ability to think existentially and the other does not. Weather we choose to exercise this ability or not is irrelevant.
Is it? Seem to me choosing not to use that ability makes one lower than a cockroach.
phenomenal_graffiti
Favorite Philosopher: George Berkeley

Post by phenomenal_graffiti »

phenomenal_graffiti wrote: ↑Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm
Atheist typically means someone who does not believe in the existence of gods after having learned the concept.

Both impose upon a person a concept of god which they either do not accept, or are ignorant of.
Not gonna argue with this, but I choose to divide things into non-theist: concept of god one is ignorant of; atheist: concept of god one does not accept. To each their own.
We are currently living within the mind of Jesus Christ as he is currently being crucified. One may think there is no God, or if one believes in God, one thinks one lives outside the mind of Christ in a post-crucifixion present.

In other news...
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

phenomenal_graffiti wrote: June 25th, 2018, 2:48 am

Not gonna argue with this, but I choose to divide things into non-theist: concept of god one is ignorant of; atheist: concept of god one does not accept. To each their own.
A fair distinction with severe philosophical consequences for the latter.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dark Matter wrote:Is it? Seem to me choosing not to use that ability makes one lower than a cockroach.
When cockroaches were first mentioned as an example of a species that does not contemplate philosophical questions, I assumed that "lower" and "higher" were being used in this context to mean something close to "less complex" and "more complex". i.e. not as a value judgement. Simply as a description of the complexity and abilities of the brains of cockroaches and humans. But I guess the above sentence doesn't fit that assumption. Clearly a creature who chooses not to think about such questions has more complexity and ability than a creature who doesn't think about them because it is unable to make that choice.

So I guess you're using "lower" as a value judgement? You have a low opinion of people who choose not to think about what you regard as the deep philosophical issues of life? You dislike them? Or you consider them morally wrong in some way?
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Steve3007 wrote: June 26th, 2018, 3:58 am
Dark Matter wrote:Is it? Seem to me choosing not to use that ability makes one lower than a cockroach.
When cockroaches were first mentioned as an example of a species that does not contemplate philosophical questions, I assumed that "lower" and "higher" were being used in this context to mean something close to "less complex" and "more complex". i.e. not as a value judgement. Simply as a description of the complexity and abilities of the brains of cockroaches and humans. But I guess the above sentence doesn't fit that assumption. Clearly a creature who chooses not to think about such questions has more complexity and ability than a creature who doesn't think about them because it is unable to make that choice.

So I guess you're using "lower" as a value judgement? You have a low opinion of people who choose not to think about what you regard as the deep philosophical issues of life? You dislike them? Or you consider them morally wrong in some way?
It’s more a logical assessment of the situation than a value judgement. A cockroach is always a cockroach 100%; only a human can make a conscious choice to be less than what he/she is. Relatively speaking, that makes the human lower than a cockroach. I know that in this politically correct climate this is about as popular as a Trump supporter on a college campus, but I’m guessing this is still primarily a philosophy forum.

Or is my guess wrong?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Dark Matter wrote:It’s more a logical assessment of the situation than a value judgement. A cockroach is always a cockroach 100%; only a human can make a conscious choice to be less than what he/she is.
I still don't know the sense in which this logical assessment of the situation is using the word "lower". I don't know any sense in which this apparent flexibility of humans, compared to cockroaches, makes them lower. But the context seems to imply that it is a value judgement - the judgement that it is morally wrong ("low") to choose not to full-fill one's mental potential.
I know that in this politically correct climate this is about as popular as a Trump supporter on a college campus, but I’m guessing this is still primarily a philosophy forum.
I don't know what political climate, in what environment/country, you're talking about. And I don't know why any of these thoughts about the relative abilities and choices of humans and cockroaches would be deemed to be political.
Thinking critical

Dark Matter wrote: June 24th, 2018, 5:55 pm
Thinking critical wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:36 pm As for the cockroaches, it's not that they don't care about such questions, the difference is one has the ability to think existentially and the other does not. Weather we choose to exercise this ability or not is irrelevant.
Is it? Seem to me choosing not to use that ability makes one lower than a cockroach.
Or perhaps it is simply that some people are more concerned with where humanity is going as opposed to how it all began. Everyday there is an abundance of unnecessary pain and suffering, global food and water shortages, extreme climate changes and acts of terror to a name a few. Many are fortunate in that there are people out their who proactively fight the good fight an put the needs of others before themselves.
It is possible that allot of people find more value and meaning in life in helping others than in investing a great deal of time pondering questions which since the dawn of civilisation have not been answered.
If these people are less than cockroaches I would hate to think of your opinion of the rest of us that sit on technology debating topics in order to inflate ones own ego.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream