If there is a God, why is there evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
LuckyR

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote:Spectrum wrote:
(LuckyR wrote)So the existence and quality of deities are now decided by vote?

(Spectrum wrote)Not 'decided' to be agreed by all. The said existence and quality of a monotheistic God are only claimed by monotheists.

I had stated, if we observe what had happened over the history of mankind, there is a natural implicit trend for theists to gravitate [more like compelled] toward a monotheistic God, as evident with the 5.4 billion theists [out of all 7+ billion humans] who believed in a monotheistic God.

This theistic trend will continue to move toward an inevitably absolutely perfect God as there is no other option except this so as to avoid one's god being dominated by another who claim their God is an absolutely perfect God.

An absolute perfect God must be absolutely and perfectly good, but evil exists, so such a God as claimed cannot be possible, thus impossible.
But what happened did not happen for a reason built into existence itself. What happened happened for a multiplicity of historical reasons. Moreover what happened is no guarantee that the trend will continue to happen.

True, evil in the forms of suffering, loss, and meaninglessness exists. God and gods are explanations for evil and formularies for countering evil.

The answer to Lucky's question is either under the heading of
1. What we can know i.e. it's an epistemological question.

or 2. What exists i.e. it's an ontological question.

Lucky did not say what category of question it is.
I was alluding to what (supposedly) exists (in the post I quoted). As anyone can tell by my tone, I disagree with the premise.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I don't understand if you disagree because the premise is a silly belief , or because you hold that God does not exist.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote:An absolute perfect God must be absolutely and perfectly good, but evil exists, so such a God as claimed cannot be possible, thus impossible.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

You appear to lack this ability in your emotional squall against the 'uncomfortable', which you project onto your notion of God.
Note my signature below.
In addition I quote the complementarity principles of Yin & Yang and the Tao very often to support my arguments.

I agree with 'good' and 'evil' existing in reality but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Spectrum wrote:but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
No, there is no 'controlling' God! that separates a 'god' from 'other' (being 'controlled')
There is not anything that exists BUT God being revealed!
'Control' of any sort is a vain notion/illusion of the ego.
All that exists is God being perceived/revealed!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote:but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
No, there is no 'controlling' God! that separates a 'god' from 'other' (being 'controlled')
There is not anything that exists BUT God being revealed!
'Control' of any sort is a vain notion/illusion of the ego.
All that exists is God being perceived/revealed!
This OP is based on the claim that God is omni-benevolent, i.e. the monothesistic God that is claimed by 5.4 billion out of 7+ billion people.
If you claim your minority pantheistic God is omni-good as well as omni-evil [e.g. omni-child molestor, genocidal, etc.] then this OP is not applicable to your all-inclusive God.

I have argued in the other thread, all ideas of God including an all-inclusive God is ultimately an absolutely perfection God. Since I have proved absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real empirical-rationally, your absolutely perfect God [perfectly balanced or whatever] is an impossibility.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Belindi wrote:Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I don't understand if you disagree because the premise is a silly belief , or because you hold that God does not exist.
I am (as is everyone else on this planet) uniquely unqualified to comment on whether there is or is not a god. But regardless if there is or is not one, evil will exist, since the two concepts (gods and evil) are completely unrelated. Yes, the original premise is a silly one, as stated.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote:
Belindi wrote:Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I am (as is everyone else on this planet) uniquely unqualified to comment on whether there is or is not a god. But regardless if there is or is not one, evil will exist, since the two concepts (gods and evil) are completely unrelated. Yes, the original premise is a silly one, as stated.
I understand now :)
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Spectrum wrote:Since I have proved absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real empirical-rationally, your absolutely perfect God [perfectly balanced or whatever] is an impossibility.
You have not demonstrated (much less 'proven') any such thing; nor logically, nor rationally, nor experientially can you!
You merely demonstrate your limitations to your own satisfaction and needs.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
By "evil" I think people mean things which generally work against the interests of Mankind. And such things are obviously real...
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject.
Why are you so busybody with the views of others?
The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
Before you insist on any credibility and truth for the 'Real' prove it exists first.

Evil [as defined] is real empirically and rationally.

The 'Real' as merely an idea and solely thought is only real for psychological reasons and it is NEVER real within empirical-rational reality.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Atreyu wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
By "evil" I think people mean things which generally work against the interests of Mankind. And such things are obviously real...
By "evil" I think people mean things which they think generally work against the interests of Mankind.
nsalwa
New Trial Member

Post by nsalwa »

One argument people have about God’s existence is that if God is all-powerful, all-knowing, then why is there evil in this world; if God is all-powerful and good, he wouldn’t want anything bad to happen and would prevent it from happening, therefore God cannot exist.
If there exists good and evil, then God must exist; God is all knowing, the wise, which means that he has wisdom, and with wisdom comes reasoning. Although we may not know why something happened and cannot understand the reasoning behind it, that does not mean that there is no reasoning for it. For example, if there is an earthquake or a person suffers from cancer and we can’t see the reasoning behind it, that doesn’t imply that there is no reason. Evil and God can exist at the same time by assuming that God has morally good reasons for allowing evilness to occur. Along with God having a reason for evilness, we also know that humans are given free will; we can decide what is good and bad and what is moral and immoral. We are given the choice of committing evil or good and if there is no evilness in the world, only good choices, then there would not be any freedom. Thus, if good exists, evil must exist.
Joseph47
New Trial Member

Post by Joseph47 »

MyshiningOne wrote: "Happiness cannot exist without sadness, just like a
light in a hallway or closet cannot exist without
the darkness to greet it."

I have heard of these sorts of arguments before, but I really don't quite see why happiness has to coexist with sadness. Cannot I conceive of being joyful, creative, active, sharing life with other beings, contributing to the well-being of others, and in full unison with Ultimate Reality without any suffering or sadness ever coming on the scene? I don't see why not.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Joseph47 wrote: October 11th, 2018, 11:43 am MyshiningOne wrote: "Happiness cannot exist without sadness, just like a
light in a hallway or closet cannot exist without
the darkness to greet it."

I have heard of these sorts of arguments before, but I really don't quite see why happiness has to coexist with sadness. Cannot I conceive of being joyful, creative, active, sharing life with other beings, contributing to the well-being of others, and in full unison with Ultimate Reality without any suffering or sadness ever coming on the scene? I don't see why not.
You can, except in such a universe, folks would use the word "average" to describe what you just called "joyful".

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream