If there is a God, why is there evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
User avatar
LuckyR
Posts: 2309
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by LuckyR » November 20th, 2017, 4:50 am

Belindi wrote:Spectrum wrote:
(LuckyR wrote)So the existence and quality of deities are now decided by vote?

(Spectrum wrote)Not 'decided' to be agreed by all. The said existence and quality of a monotheistic God are only claimed by monotheists.

I had stated, if we observe what had happened over the history of mankind, there is a natural implicit trend for theists to gravitate [more like compelled] toward a monotheistic God, as evident with the 5.4 billion theists [out of all 7+ billion humans] who believed in a monotheistic God.

This theistic trend will continue to move toward an inevitably absolutely perfect God as there is no other option except this so as to avoid one's god being dominated by another who claim their God is an absolutely perfect God.

An absolute perfect God must be absolutely and perfectly good, but evil exists, so such a God as claimed cannot be possible, thus impossible.
But what happened did not happen for a reason built into existence itself. What happened happened for a multiplicity of historical reasons. Moreover what happened is no guarantee that the trend will continue to happen.

True, evil in the forms of suffering, loss, and meaninglessness exists. God and gods are explanations for evil and formularies for countering evil.

The answer to Lucky's question is either under the heading of
1. What we can know i.e. it's an epistemological question.

or 2. What exists i.e. it's an ontological question.

Lucky did not say what category of question it is.
I was alluding to what (supposedly) exists (in the post I quoted). As anyone can tell by my tone, I disagree with the premise.
"As usual... it depends."

Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 917
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Belindi » November 20th, 2017, 6:37 am

Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I don't understand if you disagree because the premise is a silly belief , or because you hold that God does not exist.

Spectrum
Posts: 4415
Joined: December 21st, 2010, 1:25 am
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Spectrum » November 20th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote:An absolute perfect God must be absolutely and perfectly good, but evil exists, so such a God as claimed cannot be possible, thus impossible.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

You appear to lack this ability in your emotional squall against the 'uncomfortable', which you project onto your notion of God.
Note my signature below.
In addition I quote the complementarity principles of Yin & Yang and the Tao very often to support my arguments.

I agree with 'good' and 'evil' existing in reality but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Namelesss
Posts: 61
Joined: November 15th, 2017, 1:59 am

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Namelesss » November 20th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Spectrum wrote:but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
No, there is no 'controlling' God! that separates a 'god' from 'other' (being 'controlled')
There is not anything that exists BUT God being revealed!
'Control' of any sort is a vain notion/illusion of the ego.
All that exists is God being perceived/revealed!

Spectrum
Posts: 4415
Joined: December 21st, 2010, 1:25 am
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Spectrum » November 20th, 2017, 11:15 pm

Namelesss wrote:
Spectrum wrote:but not within a system with an absolute perfect God [illusory] controlling that system.
No, there is no 'controlling' God! that separates a 'god' from 'other' (being 'controlled')
There is not anything that exists BUT God being revealed!
'Control' of any sort is a vain notion/illusion of the ego.
All that exists is God being perceived/revealed!
This OP is based on the claim that God is omni-benevolent, i.e. the monothesistic God that is claimed by 5.4 billion out of 7+ billion people.
If you claim your minority pantheistic God is omni-good as well as omni-evil [e.g. omni-child molestor, genocidal, etc.] then this OP is not applicable to your all-inclusive God.

I have argued in the other thread, all ideas of God including an all-inclusive God is ultimately an absolutely perfection God. Since I have proved absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real empirical-rationally, your absolutely perfect God [perfectly balanced or whatever] is an impossibility.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

User avatar
LuckyR
Posts: 2309
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by LuckyR » November 21st, 2017, 4:13 am

Belindi wrote:Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I don't understand if you disagree because the premise is a silly belief , or because you hold that God does not exist.
I am (as is everyone else on this planet) uniquely unqualified to comment on whether there is or is not a god. But regardless if there is or is not one, evil will exist, since the two concepts (gods and evil) are completely unrelated. Yes, the original premise is a silly one, as stated.
"As usual... it depends."

Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 917
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Belindi » November 21st, 2017, 6:49 am

LuckyR wrote:
Belindi wrote:Lucky I understood that you disagreed with the premise in the title of this thread.

I don't understand if you disagree because the premise is a silly belief , or because you hold that God does not exist.
I am (as is everyone else on this planet) uniquely unqualified to comment on whether there is or is not a god. But regardless if there is or is not one, evil will exist, since the two concepts (gods and evil) are completely unrelated. Yes, the original premise is a silly one, as stated.
I understand now :)

Namelesss
Posts: 61
Joined: November 15th, 2017, 1:59 am

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Namelesss » November 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm

Spectrum wrote:Since I have proved absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real empirical-rationally, your absolutely perfect God [perfectly balanced or whatever] is an impossibility.
You have not demonstrated (much less 'proven') any such thing; nor logically, nor rationally, nor experientially can you!
You merely demonstrate your limitations to your own satisfaction and needs.

Dark Matter
Posts: 849
Joined: August 18th, 2016, 11:29 am
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Dark Matter » November 21st, 2017, 6:34 pm

I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.

User avatar
Atreyu
Posts: 1645
Joined: June 17th, 2014, 3:11 am
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Atreyu » November 21st, 2017, 8:04 pm

Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
By "evil" I think people mean things which generally work against the interests of Mankind. And such things are obviously real...

Spectrum
Posts: 4415
Joined: December 21st, 2010, 1:25 am
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Spectrum » November 21st, 2017, 9:13 pm

Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject.
Why are you so busybody with the views of others?
The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
Before you insist on any credibility and truth for the 'Real' prove it exists first.

Evil [as defined] is real empirically and rationally.

The 'Real' as merely an idea and solely thought is only real for psychological reasons and it is NEVER real within empirical-rational reality.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Dark Matter
Posts: 849
Joined: August 18th, 2016, 11:29 am
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by Dark Matter » November 21st, 2017, 11:19 pm

Atreyu wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:I'm bewildered that people are still on this subject. The possibility of "evil" is a space-time phenomenon that does not reflect on the infinite and eternal nature of the Actual. It is not a viable aspect of the Real.
By "evil" I think people mean things which generally work against the interests of Mankind. And such things are obviously real...
By "evil" I think people mean things which they think generally work against the interests of Mankind.

Post Reply