Why Atheism Cannot Be Logically Supported

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Re: Why Atheism Cannot Be Logically Supported

Post by Dark Matter »

Fooloso4 wrote: Some of us think philosophy has something to do with reality. We know nothing of the infinite and eternal, if they exist or how they exist. Perhaps there are a multitude of infinities and eternities or perhaps exactly nine or three or none. It is nothing more than image making and the belief that the cosmos fits your image. And in so far as you worship your god you are worshipping images of your own making.

Now of course you are free to worship your own creation, but you are not free to insist that what you have created is God or that others should have no other gods before yours. But this is exactly what you have done, repeatedly. And you are not free to insist that those who do not believe that you have created God or believe in any god are illogical or in some way deficient, as you have done, repeatedly.
Steve: I ask you, what does the above have to do with anything I said?
Eduk wrote:
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Neil deGrasse Tyson rather famously refuses to call himself an atheist and a simple google search will reveal many interviews with the man as to exactly why this is.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's an agnostic who uses all cliche arguments atheists use, but hates being called an atheist. Sounds like cognitive dissonance.

-- Updated February 15th, 2017, 2:23 pm to add the following --
Steve3007 wrote:Dark Matter:
Yes, really. I've seen threads dedicated to the notion that atheists "spiritual" and public figures like Neil deGrasse Tyson, a vocal atheist, argue that scientific wonder is equivalent to being spiritual.
That wasn't the proposition we were talking about. The proposition was: "There is either one God, lots of gods or no god". I'm sure Neil deGrasse Tyson would agree with that because it's not a statement that applies just to gods. It's about the rules of language. Specifically the "law of the excluded middle". Anybody who agrees with the rules of language agrees with it.

Regarding this new idea that you've introduced: the idea that scientific wonder is equivalent to being spiritual. I don't know for sure what it means to be spiritual. If it means having some kind of sense of awe and humility at the grandeur of Nature, or something like that, then I'd say it's obviously true that anyone can have that. Does it mean that?
It's as though deep down they know "spirit" has real meaning but can't get themselves to admit that the idea of spirit is incongruent with their stated atheism.
Does it have real meaning? What does it mean?
The proposition we were talking about is (or was), "To deny the personality of the First Source and Center leaves one only the choice of two philosophic dilemmas: materialism or pantheism." You interjected the red herring, "There is either one God, lots of gods or no god."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Dark matter you believe in cognitive dissonance?
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Eduk wrote:Dark matter you believe in cognitive dissonance?
I dunno, but I wonder if atheism is so untenable that its proponents feel it is necessary to go off on unrelated tangents or insert red herrings when something they don't like is proposed.

-- Updated February 15th, 2017, 4:22 pm to add the following --

Hey, here's a suggestion: Instead of "skeptical inquiry," why not "open-minded inquiry," but not so open-minded that the brains fall out?
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Eduk:
I think the evidence is firmly to the contrary of this point. I assume what you mean is that it is unreasonable and unkind to do so?
Yes, you are right.

I was playing off the duality of freedom and necessity that he thinks he has unified in his art. With regard to the practice of philosophy the constraint on freedom is the truth. We should not allow ourselves the freedom to insist that others believe what we do not know.

Dark Matter:
There's also the likes of Fooloso4, who, rather than dealing with the question at hand by proffering a philosophical alternative to materialism or pantheism, goes off on an unrelated tangent.
First, let’s retrace the argument. I asked Sage:
What are the beliefs of that “system” that all atheists have in common?
To which you responded:
Materialism.
Me:
Certainly not! I expect we will hear from atheists who are not materialists. In addition, the same question I asked about an atheist belief system can be asked about a materialist belief system. Materialists may share a basic assumption, but that is not a belief system. They may define materialism differently and hold different beliefs.
You:
So much for consistency and intellectual integrity.
Followed by:
This is a philosophy forum. Atheism can pontificate, deny, qualify and nuance all it likes, but “To deny the personality of the First Source and Center leaves one only the choice of two philosophic dilemmas: materialism or pantheism.” Either unconscious matter-energy is the bottom line, or the universe itself is God.
You claim that materialism is the belief system that all atheists hold in common, but in response to my question as to what the materialist belief system is you make a vague remark about consistency and intellectual integrity.

Rather than respond to the question you move on to claim that the only alternatives to your god is materialism and pantheism. You ignore the following:
Disagreement arises with regard to a) your claims about the option you choose. It is not simply God that you affirm but a specific concept of God, and b) the way you frame the alternatives. It has been argued that Spinoza was a materialist.
Spinoza is also considered by some to be a pantheist. What you either do not understand or wish to ignore is that our concepts do not fit neatly into your categorical framework. It is not a matter of offering an alternative to materialism and pantheism, it is to point out that the way you divide the world is problematic.

Did Spinoza believe in God? Yes. Was Spinoza a materialist? Yes. Was Spinoza a pantheist? Yes.

One might be believe in God but not believe that God created the world, that we can understand nature without resorting to supernatural explanations, in other words, one might believe in God and be a materialist.

One might believe in materialistic pantheism.

One might be an atheist but not a materialist, holding to some form of dualism.

One might hold that consciousness is fundamental without associating consciousness with God or reducing it to a form of materialism. There is a thread on this.
It's as though deep down they know "spirit" has real meaning but can't get themselves to admit that the idea of spirit is incongruent with their stated atheism.
Why do some theists want deep down to believe that what they believe we know deep down?

The problem is that ‘spirit’ has so many different meanings. One of the fundamental meanings of the term is breath. It denotes a thing that breathes, is alive, is animate. The breath, so to speak, comes to take on a life of its own. The term ’soul’ has a similar history, and the two are sometimes used interchangeably. They are imbued with religious significance that is not original to them. It stands to reason that if spirit is to be associated with God or divinity then it is incongruent with atheism.

Spirit also means feelings. One might say that they are a spiritual person and mean by that someone who loves, who cares, is deeply moved, etc., but in wholly natural ways by wholly natural things.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Fooloso4 I applaud the effort but dark matter is not likely to respond well. I think you have already adequately addressed any points which you have charitably attributed to him but at this point all you will get back is repetition, insults and further vagueness and illlogic.
Personally I have been rather enjoying dark matters comments for what they are.
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote:I've seen threads dedicated to the notion that atheists "spiritual" and public figures like Neil deGrasse Tyson, a vocal atheist, argue that scientific wonder is equivalent to being spiritual.
Eduk wrote:Neil deGrasse Tyson rather famously refuses to call himself an atheist and a simple google search will reveal many interviews with the man as to exactly why this is.
Steve3007 wrote:Regarding this new idea that you've introduced: the idea that scientific wonder is equivalent to being spiritual. I don't know for sure what it means to be spiritual. If it means having some kind of sense of awe and humility at the grandeur of Nature, or something like that, then I'd say it's obviously true that anyone can have that. Does it mean that?
Eduk is correct.

Besides, if Neil DGT claims that his awe of nature evokes spiritual feelings within him, then who are we to tell him what he is feeling? What else can one call that sense awe and love one feels in the face of this familiar mystery of reality that we so often taken for granted?

In fact, I consider taking time out to really appreciate and pay attention to the extraordinariness of reality to be a rejuvenating activity, along with sleep, meditation, play and lazing. Not taking time out to relax and focus is akin to the false economy of not allowing time for rest breaks or. worse, a good night's sleep. The result being burnout. I'm not sure but this may pertain to DM's earlier caution to me about over-reliance on intellectualism.

Moral of the story: Sometimes you just gotta feeel the luuurve :)

What is spirituality in essence? See above ↑↑
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Ranvier you mischaracterise the atheist position. Atheist's do not believe a random event lead to the creation of the universe. Or at least this is not part of the definition of athiesm. Atheism is simply believing that no one knows what lead to the creation of the universe. These are two very different things. Religions claim to know what created the universe all atheism is is a denial of that claim due to no evidence.
For example if you imagined that a creator revealed itself to us. And this creator didn't resemble a single religion then the athiest position would have been correct.
Unknown means unknown.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Fooloso4 wrote:
Rather than respond to the question you move on to claim that the only alternatives to your god is materialism and pantheism. You ignore the following:
Disagreement arises with regard to a) your claims about the option you choose. It is not simply God that you affirm but a specific concept of God, and b) the way you frame the alternatives. It has been argued that Spinoza was a materialist.
I ignored it because it is complete nonsense.

Spinoza is also considered by some to be a pantheist. What you either do not understand or wish to ignore is that our concepts do not fit neatly into your categorical framework. It is not a matter of offering an alternative to materialism and pantheism, it is to point out that the way you divide the world is problematic.

Did Spinoza believe in God? Yes. Was Spinoza a materialist? Yes. Was Spinoza a pantheist? Yes.

One might be believe in God but not believe that God created the world, that we can understand nature without resorting to supernatural explanations, in other words, one might believe in God and be a materialist.

One might believe in materialistic pantheism.

One might be an atheist but not a materialist, holding to some form of dualism.

One might hold that consciousness is fundamental without associating consciousness with God or reducing it to a form of materialism. There is a thread on this.
There ya go: all you seem capable of doing is equivocate, pontificate, deny, qualify, nuance and throw up smokescreens. Below is a perfect example of equivocation:
The problem is that ‘spirit’ has so many different meanings. One of the fundamental meanings of the term is breath. It denotes a thing that breathes, is alive, is animate. The breath, so to speak, comes to take on a life of its own. The term ’soul’ has a similar history, and the two are sometimes used interchangeably. They are imbued with religious significance that is not original to them. It stands to reason that if spirit is to be associated with God or divinity then it is incongruent with atheism.

Spirit also means feelings. One might say that they are a spiritual person and mean by that someone who loves, who cares, is deeply moved, etc., but in wholly natural ways by wholly natural things.
Greta: Yes, Neil deGrasse Tyson does indeed claim to be agnostic, but he uses all the cliche arguments atheists use.
Greta wrote: Besides, if Neil DGT claims that his awe of nature evokes spiritual feelings within him, then who are we to tell him what he is feeling? What else can one call that sense awe and love one feels in the face of this familiar mystery of reality that we so often taken for granted?

In fact, I consider taking time out to really appreciate and pay attention to the extraordinariness of reality to be a rejuvenating activity, along with sleep, meditation, play and lazing. Not taking time out to relax and focus is akin to the false economy of not allowing time for rest breaks or. worse, a good night's sleep. The result being burnout. I'm not sure but this may pertain to DM's earlier caution to me about over-reliance on intellectualism.

Oh, I don't doubt his feelings are genuine, but that doesn't translate into spirituality. Interactions can be had with non-personal things, but not fellowship. You cannot pray to a chemical formula, supplicate a mathematical equation, worship a hypothesis, confide in a postulate, commune with a process, serve an abstraction, or hold loving fellowship with a law. To appropriate the word "spirit" and use it in a way that impinges on its religious intent is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

-- Updated February 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm to add the following --

Fooloso4 was right about one thing: "It stands to reason that if spirit is to be associated with God or divinity then it is incongruent with atheism."
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Few if any in this thread have the foggiest idea of what a rational, logical, common sense definition for God or spirit.

Spirit-1 is spirit-of-intent ergo metaphysical-1 mind/intellect/concepts,

----line of demarcation------------------------------------

Spirit-2 is fermions bosons and any aggregate combination thereof,

Spirt-3{ metaphysical-3 } is gravity
ergo positive shaped geodesic of space,

Spirit-4{ metaphysical-4 } is dark energy
ergo negative shaped geodesic of space.

Spirituality is the encouragement and support of the ecological environment that sustains humans and all biological life on Earth.

This is relatively simple conclusion for those who are seeking truth and have not placed a mental ego blockage in pathway of self and others.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

EduK:
Fooloso4 I applaud the effort but dark matter is not likely to respond well. I think you have already adequately addressed any points which you have charitably attributed to him but at this point all you will get back is repetition, insults and further vagueness and illlogic.
This is not my first go round with DM. There are a few other threads and earlier in this thread where he has gone through the same evasive tactics. The funny thing is that more than once after a prolonged argument he ends up saying things that I had previously said and arguing against me, claiming exactly what I had already said. When I point out to him that these are things I previously said he changes the subject, hurls insults, or falls silent.
Personally I have been rather enjoying dark matters comments for what they are.
I enjoy taking him to task for what he says, and think it comical that when I attempt to put things in perspective, clarify concepts, and provide specific examples that run counter to his claims that there are three options he ignores it and claims that it is nonsense, that I am throwing up a smokescreen, equivocating, and a bunch of other non-specific accusations that can be applied to anything said by anyone. But in reality is simply evasiveness.

Some might think it cruel but I follow Nietzsche when he says that one of the great purposes of philosophy is to deprive stupidity of its good conscience.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote:
Besides, if Neil DGT claims that his awe of nature evokes spiritual feelings within him, then who are we to tell him what he is feeling? What else can one call that sense awe and love one feels in the face of this familiar mystery of reality that we so often taken for granted?

Oh, I don't doubt his feelings are genuine, but that doesn't translate into spirituality. Interactions can be had with non-personal things, but not fellowship. You cannot pray to a chemical formula, supplicate a mathematical equation, worship a hypothesis, confide in a postulate, commune with a process, serve an abstraction, or hold loving fellowship with a law. To appropriate the word "spirit" and use it in a way that impinges on its religious intent is disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.
This is the No True Scotsman fallacy, DM - that your spiritual experiences are real and valid and NDGT's are false.

Further, you assume that he would have the same relatively insipid experiences in nature that you have (insipid compared with your communion with God). However, NDGT was so thrilled and inspired by nature that he devoted his life to its study. Some of his experiences with nature would be amongst the most significant of his life. If he says they were spiritual to him you have to take him at face value, just as we must take your claims of spiritual experiences at face value. Either that or, as you did with NDGT, others may assume to know your mind better than you know yourself, and I'm fairly sure of your reaction to anyone assuming to do that to you.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Eduk wrote:Ranvier you mischaracterise the atheist position. Atheist's do not believe a random event lead to the creation of the universe. Or at least this is not part of the definition of athiesm. Atheism is simply believing that no one knows what lead to the creation of the universe. These are two very different things. Religions claim to know what created the universe all atheism is is a denial of that claim due to no evidence.
For example if you imagined that a creator revealed itself to us. And this creator didn't resemble a single religion then the athiest position would have been correct.
Agnostic accepts the possibility of God, Atheist doesn't. Therefore the only option left is belief in "nothing" or you are actually believing in some source of creation (aka God). How would you describe your Atheism?
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta:

Awe is only the beginning of wisdom and knowledge. In the absence of a personal God, all the feelings you allude is reducible to unconscious matter-energy OR the consciousness that gives rise to them is intrinsic to reality itself. My aim in boiling it all down to three choices -- theism, materialism or pantheism -- is to get past all the mental masterbation that we see here. It's really just a first step. All the mental clutter that comes with nuance drowns its spokespersons in egoism, conceit and fantasy.
More and more, as I see it now, this heartless way of thinking about God and ultimate reality dominates the mind of the contemporary world. For God or against God, “belief” or “atheism,” it makes no difference unless the inner yearning— or whatever we wish to call the cause and source of the “second breathing” — is there. And it can so easily be there, just as it can so easily be covered over and ignored, perhaps for the rest of one’s life. God or not God, “belief” or “science” — it also makes no real difference for my personal life unless the call of the Self and its need to “breathe” is heard and, ultimately, respected. Not only can thought about ultimate reality make no difference to the world or to my personal life unless we hear and respect the call of the Self, but such empty thought can bring down our personal and collective world, even our Earth itself. When thought races ahead of Being, a civilization is racing toward destruction.

Jacob Needleman: What Is God?
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

As Agnostic, I reject the possibility of "nothing" and hence state that the creation of the Universe must have been a God but not any specific God described by any religion. Unless you can come up with some other alternative method of Universe creation, then Atheist's stance on the matter must be existence of "nothing" and such must be shown to exist somewhere. Otherwise not taking any position is an argument, "I don't know" position, is not a position to take in an argument to the point of having a name for such a stance. If Atheist can come up with some other source of logical explanation for the creation of the Universe, such position would have to be supported with evidence or simply disprove the possibility of God. I look froward to learn of any new options.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ranvier wrote:As Agnostic, I reject the possibility of "nothing" and hence state that the creation of the Universe must have been a God but not any specific God described by any religion.
That seems closest to deism - an existent but non-interventionist god (small "g").

-- Updated 15 Feb 2017, 22:03 to add the following --
Dark Matter wrote:Greta:

Awe is only the beginning of wisdom and knowledge. In the absence of a personal God, all the feelings you allude is reducible to unconscious matter-energy OR the consciousness that gives rise to them is intrinsic to reality itself. My aim in boiling it all down to three choices -- theism, materialism or pantheism -- is to get past all the mental masterbation that we see here. It's really just a first step. All the mental clutter that comes with nuance drowns its spokespersons in egoism, conceit and fantasy.
More and more, as I see it now, this heartless way of thinking about God and ultimate reality dominates the mind of the contemporary world. For God or against God, “belief” or “atheism,” it makes no difference unless the inner yearning— or whatever we wish to call the cause and source of the “second breathing” — is there. And it can so easily be there, just as it can so easily be covered over and ignored, perhaps for the rest of one’s life. God or not God, “belief” or “science” — it also makes no real difference for my personal life unless the call of the Self and its need to “breathe” is heard and, ultimately, respected. Not only can thought about ultimate reality make no difference to the world or to my personal life unless we hear and respect the call of the Self, but such empty thought can bring down our personal and collective world, even our Earth itself. When thought races ahead of Being, a civilization is racing toward destruction.

Jacob Needleman: What Is God?
Not just awe, DM. Deep love of the kind that brings a tear to one's eye. I've enjoyed that many times, where I've been powerfully emotionally affected by the beauty of the sky or plants, by the sweet innocence and clever workings of other animals, by the poignancy of human circumstances and spirit - all the various parts of nature. This kind of experience lacks the inner dialogue (I'm guessing) of "deliberate universal engagement" but I'm all for diversity.

We each, and at different times in our lives, tend more or less towards introspective and extrospective experience, which I think are each valid if, as mentioned earlier, they are underpinned by a positive, loving, understanding attitude.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream