Why Atheism Cannot Be Logically Supported

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Prismatic
Favorite Philosopher: John Stuart Mill

Re: Why Atheism Cannot Be Logically Supported

Post by Prismatic »

In my view the difference between a strong and a weak atheist/theist is the strong believes he knows while the weak knows he believes.
Everywhere I have sought peace and never found it except in a corner with a book. —Thomas à Kempis
A Poster He or I
Favorite Philosopher: Anaximander

Post by A Poster He or I »

By this scheme I'd be classified as an agnostic (the statement God exists is either true or false). I reject the label of agnostic because the associated statement here fails to capture the important follow-through: "If the statement God exists is true, I reject this God qua God." By this caveat, I consider myself an atheist as I am against theism for ETHICAL reasons, not metaphysical or epistemological.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

A Poster He or I wrote:By this scheme I'd be classified as an agnostic (the statement God exists is either true or false). I reject the label of agnostic because the associated statement here fails to capture the important follow-through: "If the statement God exists is true, I reject this God qua God." By this caveat, I consider myself an atheist as I am against theism for ETHICAL reasons, not metaphysical or epistemological.
I don't propose this scheme as a to-be-universally-accepted classification, but merely to present my own arguments clarifying my objections to the claim that atheism cannot be logically supported. In my own case this scheme places me in the non-cognitivist box, but I also call myself an atheist because I believe the statement no god exists.
Everywhere I have sought peace and never found it except in a corner with a book. —Thomas à Kempis
Tibbir
Favorite Philosopher: Jesus

Post by Tibbir »

What ever we believe as theist or atheist the reality is either no gods exist 1 god exists or a plethora of Gods exist. There may even be a complex number of Gods or something else we just do not understand.

Our belief does not change that. So if you are an atheist and it turns out that "Jesus is lord" and every thing Christians believe in is true then after this life you will get damned and burn in hell for all eternity. Similarly if you are a theist and there is no god then what you believe has no long term effect. What you believe is what you want to believe in this life and if it turns out right or wrong is a side issue other than how it affects your morals. As I have said before I like Jesus's Moral code so I follow it, not the Church's

Although If you look at my argument for God "(Theory of Everything ≡ Theory of God) Where did I go wrong? " If that argument is correct then it gives you scientific tests you can apply to a singular God who is infinitely deep

e.g. that he is benevolent eternal omnipotent and omnipresent and omniscient; the ususal associated with Jaweh. So that is what I follow. I am humble enough to suspect that there are quite probably flaws in my argument that does not mean it is a good starting place for finding out more about God. As scientist admit there are holes in M-Theory or string theory or quantum theory or which ever theory you choose to look at none of them are complete.

Mine, as far as I can see, is an overview with lots of holes to fill in but it goes from bottom to top and back again with out stepping outside logic, science or the Bible.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

A Poster He or I,

I understand that religion and therefore by proxy theism has been the cause of some atrocities in this world, but speaking as a theist who believes in Jesus, and considering Jesus' message of peace, it sounds like an oxymoron when you say that you are against theism, for ethical reasons. If you read one of the accounts of Jesus' life, let's say Matthew, I think that it would be difficult for you to find fault with Jesus or his message, morally.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
A Poster He or I

Fanman,

I actually admire the message of the historical Jesus as pieced together by biblical scholars, especially some of what he has to say in the Gnostic gospels which were censored by the early Church. But very little of what I admire remains in the canonical Bible.

Anyway that is irrelevant to my antagonism against theism. I do not target Christianity per se: I am against Absolutism. In my 5 decades of life I have come to a point where I essentially despise dogmatic thinking in almost all of its manifestations. Theism is one of the most common and insidious forms of absolutism. I am fairly convinced that humanity faces extinction unless the achievement of the global state can occur in time before Absolutist-based reactionism sends us past the point of no return.
Tibbir
Favorite Philosopher: Jesus

Post by Tibbir »

A Poster He or I wrote:Garycgibson, Tibbir, and Fanman,

A quantum fluctuation with subsequent evolution of its dynamics into increasingly complex states yielding emergent highly-ordered states.

Now let me turn the question around on you: How do theists think that God came to be? The usual answer I hear is that he has alway existed. So, logically, which is more plausible:

1) an uncreated omnipotent intelligence;

2) an uncreated non-omnipotent, non-sentient universe whose dynamics can be modeled into a long-term evolutionary path toward sentience?

Occam's Razor is on the side of choice #2.
May I point out that:

"A quantum fluctuation with subsequent evolution of its dynamics into increasingly complex states yielding emergent highly-ordered states." Presupposes that Mathematics, which is a subset of the Word already exists. And if you know anything about Christianity in the Begining was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word Was God.

So what you are offering is not a choice but the same thing.

I presume that mathematics has always existed and has never not existed (Option 2 so to speak) and that a A quantum fluctuation with subsequent evolution of its dynamics into increasingly complex states yielding emergent highly-ordered states.(Option 1 so to speak) to me you have not yet asked a question, which implies any differences yet.

They are the same thing.

A bit of simple set theory

The world of words the set of all meanings where every word is defined by some set of other words. The Word that is the complete being God otherwise he cannot be omnipresent.

Mathemeatics is the set of self consistent truth which is a a subset of the world of words. This currently excludes paradoxes and lies.

The Universe currently believed by many to be a subset of mathematics. Because people believe mathematics governs the physics of the cosmos.

I for one believe the Universe may be a subset of the Word. It may even be the Word. The limits of our physical existence are as yet unclear. It certainly is not limited only to self consistent truth. That is I believe lies and paradox are physical phenomena just because they have an affect on the universe through communication theory.

So ask me a question which might differentiate your suggestions.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Prismatic wrote:
Scott wrote: That seems to be a description of a positive atheist but not of a weak or negative atheist and thus not of atheism generally.
Remember that my classification allows someone to say that God exists is false if that is what he believes. What do you think the weak or negative atheist would say about truth or falsity of the statement God exists?
As I understand the meaning of the terms, he would at least say that he does not believe the statement God exists to be true. Please note, as I argued in this post, it is not logical to assume that because a person does not believe X that then they must believe X or that because they do not believe -X that they believe X. This is because lack of belief that a statement is true simply isn't the same as an assertion of belief in the negative of that statement. In other words, if a negative atheist is defined simply a person who does not believe the statement 'god exists' is true, then that would include people who also do not believe the statement 'no gods exist' to be true. That includes people who have considered the question and evidence and chosen to not make a judgement as well as -- it seems to me -- people who have never considered the question, perhaps never even heard the question or who find the question meaningless or otherwise the statement to have a truth value.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

I'm classifying people solely on the basis of what they choose to say about the truth or falsity of the statement God exists. There are logically only four possible choices:

1) the statement is meaningless (neither true nor false) 2) the statement is meaningful (either true or false) but its status is not known 3) the statement is true--theism 4) the statement is false--atheism.

God exists is an assertion about the state of the world. There may be a thousand distinct psychological reactions to the statement. For example, the person who says the statement does not interest him might fall in any one of the four categories. His lack of interest could be due to his considering it meaningless, or because he cannot decide which it is, or because he has already made up his mind and is not inclined to consider it further.

You raise the question of someone who does not believe the statement God exists is true. What then does he think about its truth value? Certainly if he thinks it is false, he is an atheist. If he does not, then it seems to me he must think its truth value is indeterminate or the statement lacks a truth value. I don't see another alternative answer to this admittedly narrow question.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

We also have to include a category for people who have never considered the possibility. For instance, I assume none of us believe that unicorns exist on a planet twice the size of Earth within 1,000 light-years of earth but we never have responding or even considered the question. In terms of god, these people are often referred to as implicit atheists.
Prismatic wrote:There are logically only four possible choices:

1) the statement is meaningless (neither true nor false) 2) the statement is meaningful (either true or false) but its status is not known 3) the statement is true--theism 4) the statement is false--atheism.
It's a little more complicated if like me you recognize a distinction between knowledge and mere belief with the former being a more confident and thus presumably more accurate version of the latter. Only gnostic theists and gnostic atheists claim to know whether or not a god exists, while many other people believe god exists or actively believe no gods exist but still do not claim knowledge. In response to the assertion that god exists if encountered, a person may say I believe it is false but I do not know it is false OR a person may say I know it is false.

So, for atheists, we have (A) people who neither believe a god exist nor believe no god exists (which is not irrational as I argued here), (B) people who actively believe no gods exist but do not claim to know that no gods exist, (C) people who claim to know that no god exists. Negative atheists, implicit atheists and igtheists would all seem to fall into the category of A. I'm not sure how these work with the 4 options you listed.

But (again as I showed here) the point is that a person can find the statement 'X exists' to be meaningful and still suspend belief either way. If X is god, then such a person is a negative atheist.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
A Poster He or I

Tibbir says
"A quantum fluctuation with subsequent evolution of its dynamics into increasingly complex states yielding emergent highly-ordered states." Presupposes that Mathematics, which is a subset of the Word already exists. And if you know anything about Christianity in the Begining was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word Was God.
You are incorrect. The presupposition lies with you, manifest as your Platonic view of Mathematics, or the Word if you prefer. And since I don't believe in God, the opening verses of John have no correspondence to anything of philosophical merit in my own cognitive framework.
So what you are offering is not a choice but the same thing.
To a Platonic thinker like yourself, I can see why you would think so.
I presume that mathematics has always existed and has never not existed (Option 2 so to speak) and that a A quantum fluctuation with subsequent evolution of its dynamics into increasingly complex states yielding emergent highly-ordered states.(Option 1 so to speak) to me you have not yet asked a question, which implies any differences yet.
Since I am not a Platonist, the idea that mathematics has always existed is patently ridiculous. I recognize that Platonic thinking is a fundamental way to go about doing philosophy so there is no point in me making a stand for my position with you since we have no common framework to begin to discuss the matter. But for the record, emprical evidence exists in plenty for creation ex nihilo at the quantum scale. There is no empirical evidence for any uncreated intelligence predating existence nor any theory I am aware of to even identify anything as "uncreated". If this doesn't serve as a distinction to your mind between option 1 and 2, I doubt I can help you further.

Regarding your remarks on set theory and what follows, I am unable to determine what your point(s) might be beyond further illustration of your Platonic convictions, so I will refrain from speculation.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

I think you are missing my point.

My classification--admittedly a simple one-- is not intended to cover all possible psychological states of belief or disbelief. I am not ignoring or forgetting them, for purposes of defining non-cognitivism I have merely framed my distinctions on one single issue: the truth value of the assertion God exists.

The purpose of this was to highlight the distinction between non-cognitivism and theism/atheism/agnosticism--- not to describe in detail all possible distinctions of belief and disbelief. Just as I did not make separate categories for Baptists and Methodists, I threw all the atheists together in one pile. You want to investigate psychological states of belief and disbelief rather than logical truth values. You might want to distinguish degrees of belief or certainty about various propositions so that someone might be a 60% atheist and 40% theist. No problem, but it is a different discussion.

The point is non-cognitivists argue the statement God exists has no truth value, does not assert a proposition about the state of the world. it appears to assert a proposition, but the singular term God lacks a referent.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

I think that logic is an excellent tool which allows us to make sense of, and apply order to, the world around us. However, when logic is applied to the creation of the universe, it cannot provide certain answers as to how universe was created. There are highly educated guesses as to how the universe was created, but there is no theory which can certainly say: "reason a, b and c is definately how the universe was created." Since this is the case, how can we be certain that logic will ever be able to find the certain cause of how the universe was created? I think that as science progresses, more complex and 'accurate' hypothesis will be formulated, but we cannot be sure that we will ever find out or be able to comprehend, the real truth of how the universe was created.

As stated, we rely can upon science to construct theories and hypothesis to describe how the universe was created, but science will not be able to tell us "why." Now, I think that atheists believe that there is no reason "why" the universe was created, since having a reason "why" it was created, would imply that the universe has not only an intelligent creator, but also a purpose, which opens a whole new set of possibilities. The atheist believes that the universe was "just created" out of / after an initial random or ordered event, which is essentially random and uncontrolled in nature? This is based upon a belief in one or another scientific model.

As far as I am aware, the logical reasons that an atheist can rule out the possibility that there is a purpose or a reason "why" the universe was created, and therefore also rule out that it has an intelligent creator, is that they find it unlikely or ridiculous to believe, and that there is no evidence of an intelligent creator or purpose to the universe. Therefore, whilst it is reasonable for an atheist to believe that there is no God or intelligent creator; and they are able to say logically, based upon their subjective interpretation of the universe, that there is no evidence that God exists, and that the universe does not have an intelligent creator. Logically, I do not think that the atheist can totally rule out the existence of God - based purely upon their subjective interpretation of the universe. I think that the theist's arguments, especially in the case of intelligent design and personal spiritual experience are valid and should be considered; even though the atheist will probably dismiss them, but is that a logical thing for the atheist to do?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

Fanman wrote:I think that logic is an excellent tool which allows us to make sense of, and apply order to, the world around us. However, when logic is applied to the creation of the universe, it cannot provide certain answers as to how universe was created.
Logic by itself does not answer any questions—instead it provides the rules of the road of reason and keeps you from going into the ditch.

Shifts to generally accepted ways of thinking are not obtained from logic. We no longer believe in witches and demons because we are convinced that they are not real entities, but fictions invented to explain phenomena for which we now have better explanations. There will always be some who insist witches and demons are real because the Bible says they are, but most have abandoned that explanation.

The lack of definite answers as to "how the universe was created" does not mean that we must turn to religious answers instead of investigating further. Logic may help to clarify the question by asking why it is necessary to believe that the universe was created at all. It turns out that is based on the notion there must have been a time when the universe did not exist. We do not have any knowledge of that.

That may not be the case at all. Our language and everyday experience leads us to think so, but the reasons are not solid. What does time mean if nothing exists? Does it mean anything at all? Is it illogical to speak of a time when there was nothing?
The atheist believes that the universe was "just created" out of / after an initial random or ordered event, which is essentially random and uncontrolled in nature?
Does the atheist necessarily believe that? How does disbelief in God lead to the conclusion that the universe was created at all? The Big Bang only indicates that time and space and the material contents of the universe cannot be tracked back beyond that event. To say "there must have been a time before the Big Bang" is to force on time our prejudices.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Prismatic,

I think that logic alone can answer questions and as you say, it "provides the rules of the road of reason and keeps you from going into the ditch." Logic and reason are like lights in the night of knowledge, they help show us the way, but do they have their limits when we are discussing the creation of the universe?

Personally, I believe that angels, demons and witches exist. Not only because the bible says that they exist, but due to my own personal experiences. I believe that existence has a spiritual dimension / realm which co-exists and can interact with our physical world. I think that there are alot of people who share my beliefs. Theists by definition believe in spiritual existence, since God himself is a spirit.

I am not saying that we should stop searching to find out how the universe was created, but what if we are searching in vain? Creating and believing theories and hypotheses which are nowhere near the truth?

I would say that time pre-dates the creation of the universe, because the universe has always been, and always will be subject to time. There is nothing in the universe which time does not effect. Everything works in linear motion.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream