A meeting with the Eternal

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
jb

Post by jb »

Hi,
Below an article - on a 'happening' -
I have written sometime ago,
in case of interest.
(it has been published in subject-related magazine) -
Regards,
jb

Many years ago I was walking down the street in a quiet area of the town. It was sunny
and the gardens were green. There was a certain awareness and sensitivity. Then suddenly,
as though new senses were
opening, the presence of the eternal was there.

The word `eternal' was not the outcome of conclusive reasoning or evaluation, as when
you look at the skies and think "this universe must be infinite and must have always
been there" and then see it according to the conceptual conclusion. It was rather like
tasting
honey and later calling it `sweet' for the sake of communication. Nevertheless, the mind
could exclaim with wonder: "Goodness me! There is something that corresponds to the word
`eternal'!"

The body was like a fish in this ocean of multi-directional energy and indestructible,
immense space, something self-sustained, completely independent and containing every
sound and being. `My' identity was that and, therefore, no fear. I was not feeling `high
'and it was not an `experience'. (Only on that day did I see what J. Krishnamurti meant
by the mind-boggling statement that you cannot experience Truth.)

It was not a momentary flash of `insight' or a psychosomatic, merely personal intensity;
it was a `standing outside 'of that field, as the word `ecstasy' implies. `I' felt like
a baby learning to crawl, to walk. My `identity' could move from being responsible as a
`body-person' soberly relating to another (much more sober, sane, factual than in the
`normal' state) to being that endless expanse of living space.
And it was there the whole day.

For a moment a fearful thought arose: "What if it will disappear?"
The answer was instantaneous: "It is obvious that it has always been here and it will
always be here and everywhere, regardless of whether the perception of it closes its
doors or not".
The following day it was `gone'.

Seeing that it was not the result or creation of an ambitious ego and that it had nothing
to do with `me', there was no regret or despair upon its `ending'. The `me' naturally
confessed its `impotence' in the face of this immensity and `prostrated', not
emotionally but as a matter of fact, before it.

Yes, it was a rare jewel, the only eternal jewel, unending Life itself...

Perhaps it was a gift. And yet at times I wonder: "What was the point, significance of
one day lived in Eternity followed by its `disappearance'? Was there anything of lasting
value in this event?
Perhaps, perhaps not.”

As for its `re-appearance', as far as I know the mere memory of it and the efforts
motivated by this memory can never re-discover or re-produce it. It is not a product. The
event cannot be used. And yet there it was!

But now that ‘I' am back, I cannot help asking myself on occasion: "This interest you
have in knowing yourself, is it not motivated by this remembrance?"
I would say no. It is more like what K. once said, to the effect that a really interested
man who approaches life simply and is aware of suffering, asks whether there is a
different way to live.

JB.
nameless

Post by nameless »

Last edited by nameless on July 17th, 2008, 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
haribol acharya

Re: A meeting with the Eternal

Post by haribol acharya »

jb wrote:Hi,
Below an article - on a 'happening' -
I have written sometime ago,
in case of interest.
(it has been published in subject-related magazine) -
Regards,
jb

Many years ago I was walking down the street in a quiet area of the town. It was sunny
and the gardens were green. There was a certain awareness and sensitivity. Then suddenly,
as though new senses were
opening, the presence of the eternal was there.

The word `eternal' was not the outcome of conclusive reasoning or evaluation, as when
you look at the skies and think "this universe must be infinite and must have always
been there" and then see it according to the conceptual conclusion. It was rather like
tasting
honey and later calling it `sweet' for the sake of communication. Nevertheless, the mind
could exclaim with wonder: "Goodness me! There is something that corresponds to the word
`eternal'!"

The body was like a fish in this ocean of multi-directional energy and indestructible,
immense space, something self-sustained, completely independent and containing every
sound and being. `My' identity was that and, therefore, no fear. I was not feeling `high
'and it was not an `experience'. (Only on that day did I see what J. Krishnamurti meant
by the mind-boggling statement that you cannot experience Truth.)

It was not a momentary flash of `insight' or a psychosomatic, merely personal intensity;
it was a `standing outside 'of that field, as the word `ecstasy' implies. `I' felt like
a baby learning to crawl, to walk. My `identity' could move from being responsible as a
`body-person' soberly relating to another (much more sober, sane, factual than in the
`normal' state) to being that endless expanse of living space.
And it was there the whole day.

For a moment a fearful thought arose: "What if it will disappear?"
The answer was instantaneous: "It is obvious that it has always been here and it will
always be here and everywhere, regardless of whether the perception of it closes its
doors or not".
The following day it was `gone'.

Seeing that it was not the result or creation of an ambitious ego and that it had nothing
to do with `me', there was no regret or despair upon its `ending'. The `me' naturally
confessed its `impotence' in the face of this immensity and `prostrated', not
emotionally but as a matter of fact, before it.

Yes, it was a rare jewel, the only eternal jewel, unending Life itself...

Perhaps it was a gift. And yet at times I wonder: "What was the point, significance of
one day lived in Eternity followed by its `disappearance'? Was there anything of lasting
value in this event?
Perhaps, perhaps not.”

As for its `re-appearance', as far as I know the mere memory of it and the efforts
motivated by this memory can never re-discover or re-produce it. It is not a product. The
event cannot be used. And yet there it was!

But now that ‘I' am back, I cannot help asking myself on occasion: "This interest you
have in knowing yourself, is it not motivated by this remembrance?"
I would say no. It is more like what K. once said, to the effect that a really interested
man who approaches life simply and is aware of suffering, asks whether there is a
different way to live.

JB.
In point of fact I am thrilled at sharing the feeling with you. You too are a creature in miniature.

I too have undergone some experiences in life, indeed ecstatic experiences in life, but such experiences can not be worded or phrased in an ordinary sense. Such experiences are likened to flashlights and you will see it and immediately they vanish. Where? We can not say.

Anyway I am really elated to share with you or reading yours I can relive the moment.

On this thread this is my first start and I began with this one of all for a simple reason that it touched me beyond words. I do not know how will you take my response.
jb

Post by jb »

Hello haribol acharya,
and thanks for the feedback...
glad you found something of value in the communication.
Your feedback... quite different from that of 'Nameless' and his intensely aggressive, biased and hateful style, of wanting to Control another.
All the best on your journey,
jb
nameless

Post by nameless »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

jb, was there a correlate of this mystical experience in your brain? Actually I view this topic as a branch of psychology, not philosophy.

However, there is doubt about the philosophical status of mystical experiences, because, even although it could be shown that there is a very high probability that mystical experience abc would always be correlated with brain event pqr this in itself does not disqualify mystical experience abc as valid knowledge about the content of the mystical experience . In the case that you described the content was eternity.

The trouble is that the word eternity does not always refer to the same concept. Your description of the experience was imprecise and insufficiently analysed. To get away with describing an experience of eternity without special psychological jargon, you need to make poetry as splendid as Wordsworth's.
jb

Post by jb »

jb:
Hello Belinda,
see my comments within the quotation of your message.
But first my conclusion: the more one knows - conceptual/analytical knowledge - and one sticks to it, the less one can actualy know. A mind filled with concepts, is a confused mind, which believes that explanatory foot-notes, are necessary, in order to understand.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Belinda wrote: Belinda: jb, was there a correlate of this mystical experience in your brain? Actually I view this topic as a branch of psychology, not philosophy.

jb:
'correlate', 'branch' does not apply.
There was a perception, but not of the brain. The brain just served the verbal communication.

Belinda: However, there is doubt about the philosophical status of mystical experiences, because, even although it could be shown that there is a very high probability that mystical experience abc would always be correlated with brain event pqr this in itself does not disqualify mystical experience abc as valid knowledge about the content of the mystical experience . In the case that you described the content was eternity.

jb:
yes, 'doubt, probability, validity' are brain activities... the field of 'the known'. I would suggest you read the other post entitled 'change beyond the movement of thought'.

B: The trouble is that the word eternity does not always refer to the same concept.

jb:
yes, and the more 'concepts', the greater the confusion, and the Noise within the Tower of Babel. Not so?

B: Your description of the experience was imprecise and insufficiently analysed.

jb:
Dear Belinda, with all respect... it is the arrogance of the limitted human mind that -believes- that everything can be 'analyzed'. And after all, your nalysis might be different from xyz's.
So where is your approach leading?
"Insufficiently..."... according to Whom...
Whose brain's contents.

B: To get away with describing an experience of eternity without special psychological jargon, you need to make poetry as splendid as Wordsworth's.

jb:
"to get away with...", if I may suggest is an expression of a conditioned brain, deluding itself, into being an Absolute Authority... in this case on Eternity. Not so? -
No, one does not need any specialized jargon... the one we already have is a confusing enough matrix, which _obviously_ makes the communication/sharing of the Seeing, and impossibility.
To discover anything New, one has to first See one's ideational/conceptual matrix one is caught in, and by Actually seeing the limitations of Knowledge, being free to Listen and Look.
There is a Simplicity, which, cannot come into being and is killed even before its birth, as long as the brain is addicted and proud of its knowledge.
It is a matter of Seeing, the false as the false, and so the true as the true... i.e. things as they are. But, apparently, our minds, are Too Complicated for seeing/Hearing simple facts... everything perceived is churned, translated, interpretted and filtered thru the brain's arsenal of knowledge.

As for... only if my message was of the caliber of Woodsworth's poetry... I could have "gotten away with it"... - you mena that you yourslef, would have possibly accepted the experience as valid.
Correct?

And are you certain that, only poetry would be a proof of whether something is genuine or not?
After all, -what- is 'poetry'?

...And Belinda, it is ok that you have apparently analyzed my experience as 'most probably False', but hopefully you did -not- analyze it into projecting an image unto 'jb', that he is after getting attention or wows or agreements.
As I have said... it was Not a personal 'experience', so whatever the response to it, i have nothing to lose/gain by it. I hope that is clear.

I _do not_ desire/need nor search for anyone, to believe that what I communicated - thru this limitted (non-Woodswothian-verbalization... sorry, I am not from an English speaking country) - .. that it is genuine.

The 'experience' does seem to tally however, with J. Krishnamurti's pointer to What-Is, beyond the ever-limitted Knowledge within the brain.

A pleasant day to you,
jb
''''''''''''''''''''''''
jb

Post by jb »

Hi Belinda,
you wrote:
"Actually I view this topic as a branch of psychology, not philosophy."
Do you mena that philosophy does not concern itself with such questions/inquiries as:
-who am I?
-is there a source/ground of being?
-'know thyself'
-is there any meaning with life?

Surely, philosophy is saturated with these inquiries.
If philosophy is not relevant to life, if its reflections/inquiries are only plays of concepts, imageries, categorizing, and brain-cells gymnastics, then it is not much worth to the human being - apart from its being a stimulating hobby - is it?

Since I got no response from you to my previous mail, I shall now stop my monologue.
Regards,
jb

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream