Is God a Moral Being?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Platos stepchild

Re: Is God a Moral Being?

Post by Platos stepchild »

No; the short answer is, God is not moral. The question we must ask is, why that's so. Let's take for granted that morality is real, it does exist. We're now entitled to ask, "whence morality?" That which exists necessarily has a ground from which it springs. But, the "ground" cannot be that which springs from it. The soil from which a flower springs isn't itself a flower. The ground from which beauty springs isn't itself beautiful. The same is true of morality, as well.

What, then is the ground of morality? I propose that God is the wellspring from which morality flows. That's why God isn't moral. Karl Jung wrote a fascinating paper entitled Answer to Job. The Biblical Book of Job describes the titular character as being tested by God, who wants to be sure that Job isn't worshipping Him simply because God has been generous. Jung describes Job as being morally superior to God, who merely thunders in response to Job's argument that he doesn't deserve the torments God allows to be heaped upon him.

Those who worship God must concede that whatever God does is necessarily right and good. Job conceded that God's power trumped his own moral superiority. In Plato's book, Euthyphro he posed an interesting dilemma. Recasting the dilemma in terms of the one God, he asked is goodness good because God loves the good; or, does God love the good because it is good? Basically, the question asks which is superior; God or goodness.

If goodness is superior to God, then goodness is God. But, if God is superior to goodness, then whatever God does must therefore be good. The same argument also applies to morality. God is the wellspring of beauty, goodness, morality and even existence. This means that God is not neither beautiful, nor good, or moral. God doesn't even exist, at least not in the sense which we exist. We could make a compelling argument that God is unknowable.

An unknowable God makes religion highly problematical. All we know is right here, in this world. We do know there's a God who's the ground of this world. But, God is unreachable and transcends any language which we might use to describe Him. The categories of understanding which theology uses to explore God fall far short of any understanding. It's like that Paul Simon song, Slip Slidin' Away: God only knows. God makes His plan. The information's unavailable to the mortal man. And that about sums it up.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Plato's stepchild #61
Recasting the dilemma in terms of the one God, he asked is goodness good because God loves the good; or, does God love the good because it is good? Basically, the question asks which is superior; God or goodness.
The answer to your question is tainted because God is neither good or bad, God is amoral.
God does not love the Good, nor hate the bad. God is omniscient, Good is and Illusion, is facsimile.
Platos stepchild

Post by Platos stepchild »

Wayne92587 wrote:Plato's stepchild #61
Recasting the dilemma in terms of the one God, he asked is goodness good because God loves the good; or, does God love the good because it is good? Basically, the question asks which is superior; God or goodness.
The answer to your question is tainted because God is neither good or bad, God is amoral.
God does not love the Good, nor hate the bad. God is omniscient, Good is and Illusion, is facsimile.
You're not very good at reading a complete post, are you? Because, if you had read my complete post, you'd realize just how ridiculous your answer is.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Plato's Stepchild -

''No; the short answer is, God is not moral. The question we must ask is, why that's so. Let's take for granted that morality is real, it does exist. We're now entitled to ask, "whence morality?" ''

I read your whole post, and followed the internal logic, but my problem is it rests on assumptions which I don't buy.

First obvious one, that an undefined something you're calling 'God' exists.

Second, which you acknowledge is an assumption, Morality exists in the objective sense that some things are Right and Wrong, no matter what you or I think.

Third, that the undefined something you're calling 'God' which you are assuming exists, is the assumed source of this assumed objectively existing morality. You've included that in your definition of God, as a brute fact, which then by your own definition leads to the conclusions you draw from it.

In other words, your conclusion relies on unsupported assumptions which create your conclusion.

What you can argue is -

If an unknowable and undefined Something I'm calling God exists, and

If Objective Morality exists, and

If the unknowable and undefined Something I'm calling God created everything Not-God, including Objective Morality, then

God is 'outside' of everything Not-God, including Morality.

Aside from these assumptions I don't think are warranted, you acknowledge that if such a God Entity with the properties you ascribe exists, you can't know anything sensible about it. You can't, presumably, apply your logic to it.

And finally, we're actually getting a pretty good idea of 'Whence morality?' in terms of it being grounded in evolved impulses beneficial to social mammals such as ourselves. There's no need to assume any extraneous supernatural entity to account for what we've come to call Morality. Any more than we need to assume the existence of such an entity to ground the existence of eg tribal religious hatred, or... potatoes.
OntheHorizon

Post by OntheHorizon »

Cruelsuit1 wrote:Because there can be no laws external to God which He is bound to obey, terms such as 'good' and 'evil' could not apply to His behavior, since that implies an external standard which God's will is held up to.

Whatever God does is necessarily correct. There can be no moral judgment on God.

Whatever He does could not be a mistake and whatever He wills can't be considered wrong.

The parameters of His definition appear to confine God to infallibility.

In the end God never makes moral choices.

Morality concerns the concepts of right and wrong, good and evil. If God is never confronted by an external wrong or evil then in what sense is He a moral being?
People that don't consider whether what the god does is good or bad just aren't thinking about it enough. We the humans do consider things good or bad, it is inevitable that we conclude the gods actions to either be good or bad or somewhere in between. Religious people would consider the gods actions good or bad regardless, they don't consider these actions outside the context of good or bad even if they say they do. They ARE going to determine the morality of it's actions.

Though these religions tend to say that the god is infact good, sometimes even the ONLY good being in existence and this god usually gives us codes or laws to follow that IT made. So the idea that the god is free of being good or bad doesn't hold water but it's also true that no religious person really thinks that good and bad don't apply to it's actions. The only reason people started to say that the god was free of being either good or bad is because their religious texts tell stories of the god doing things they have no other way of justifying, except dismissing. Infallibility is just made up word salad based on confusion and desperation.

Rocks are always right and always good. This statement is just reasonable the statement that a god is always good and right.

-- Updated October 10th, 2016, 4:20 pm to add the following --
Wayne92587 wrote:Plato's stepchild #61
sociopath much? Most of these religions are actually all about their gods being very good and other things being very evil in contrast and they specifically say god loves the good and hates the bad.
There is no evil and the only reason we ever gave in to believing in it was because we are good.
TigerNinja

Post by TigerNinja »

As morality is largely relative, it would require God to have multiple split personalities within every single person to support their view of morality to make himself a moral God. I personally would prefer not to see God as a man with a white beard in the sky, but more of like how a 15-16th century philosopher would see the world. As clockwork, although God is the clock maker. He set it in motion in the essence of the big bang. I would be fine seeing the universe itself as a higher power, although then that would extinguish the very ideology upon which God is based, as then he would be a much more scientific and down to Earth being, if a being at all.

-- Updated October 25th, 2016, 6:11 am to add the following --
TigerNinja wrote:As morality is largely relative, it would require God to have multiple split personalities within every single person to support their view of morality to make himself a moral God. I personally would prefer not to see God as a man with a white beard in the sky, but more of like how a 15-16th century philosopher would see the world. As clockwork, although God is the clock maker. He set it in motion in the essence of the big bang. I would be fine seeing the universe itself as a higher power, although then that would extinguish the very ideology upon which God is based, as then he would be a much more scientific and down to Earth being, if a being at all.
I forgot to reference how in the First Testament, God can be seen as quite a brutal leader. He kills many despite his teachings such as 'Love your enemy'. As I said, the time and place in which you see God determines his views of morality, his beliefs, how he acts and everything about his nature.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

I like the proof that the original post presented. I find nothing wrong with it.

Further to the discussion: I find it highly unsettling that "God created man in His own image; in His image He created him." What does this mean? How far do the similarities go, where do they stop, and where do the dissimilarities begin?

We, humans, can't create matter, can't raise from the dead*, can't judge each person of all humankind in one day. God can't die, He wasn't born, He had no parents. We have to obey God, God does not have to obey Himself. ETC.

(*) May change; with raising individuals from cell fragments of the dead. Tech is not there yet, but wait it out and it will get there.

So how are we similar? "I'm a mean and jealous God", He declared it in the 10 commandments. All right, humans are mean and jealous. Or can be.

And there are no more hints on God's nature, how man is similar to him and vice versa. This angers me. Why insinuate something, and not follow through to a decisive conclusion? This is sick.
Ignorance is power.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream