Why did God create the world and man?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why did God create the world and man?

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:55 pm The only person qualified to answer this question is the original human who invented the idea of gods. Alas they are long dead. But I suppose anyone and everyone else's opinion is as good as any other. Just with less authority.
As noted earlier, Lucky, the first evidence suggestive of religious belief are Australopithecus burial shrines.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:57 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:55 pm The only person qualified to answer this question is the original human who invented the idea of gods. Alas they are long dead. But I suppose anyone and everyone else's opinion is as good as any other. Just with less authority.
As noted earlier, Lucky, the first evidence suggestive of religious belief are Australopithecus burial shrines.
Exactly, I wonder what their answer would be?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Religions by and large are rarely the work of one man. I guess Scientology might be ☺️
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: December 28th, 2017, 5:13 am Religions by and large are rarely the work of one man. I guess Scientology might be ☺️
You are familiar with the LDS, right?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

LuckyR I thought you were a Mormon? Anyway I kind of think of it as a denomination of Christianity. I could be wrong?
Unknown means unknown.
Wesgtr
New Trial Member

Post by Wesgtr »

Arguably, If the God of the Hebrews and the future Jewish/Christian people, created "the heavens and the earth," He did so for companionship and beauty/goodness. God would have been the lone being, according to biblical and religious belief/chronicle, and, as such, he could have become lonely. Additionally, the world was seen as "good" to God. This goodness is perceived as beauty and ultimate potentiality in actuality. He created the world because it would become "good," and he would have inhabitants so that He were no longer lonely. I think any good creationist argument has something to do with the personification of God and the divination of man. In theory, one may personify God and divinize man, in order to have a clearer picture of God (and perhaps man). Why does an artist create great art? Perhaps it is just part of who they are. That is what I think. And, they see it as "good." So then, I would say God's character is such that creating a world with all of us and the other living things, mountains, etc. is just what he would do. And if that is true, how wonderful it is to be made, and how great it is to have a God out there, who would desire to create such beautiful scenery, people and living things.

Philosophically, If a God of this sort exists, then he may have created the world so that the other would be. Individuals and the other are, essentially, a product of His creation. Therefore, this philosophical topic of Individual and Other Minds comes from a created universe by an eternal God.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: December 28th, 2017, 3:58 am
Greta wrote: December 27th, 2017, 6:57 pmAs noted earlier, Lucky, the first evidence suggestive of religious belief are Australopithecus burial shrines.
Exactly, I wonder what their answer would be?
Given the inevitable harshness of their lives, I imagine they would have figured that the god/s were punishing them, rewarding them, challenging them or toying with them. Interesting that it didn't occur to them that they could be simply collateral damage of powerful natural processes.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: December 28th, 2017, 3:25 pm LuckyR I thought you were a Mormon? Anyway I kind of think of it as a denomination of Christianity. I could be wrong?
Wow, you really how to hurt a guy... But seriously, I must be among the world's worst communicators.

As to the LDS, they firmly believe they are a denomination of the standard christian churches. The standard christian churches tend to think of them as a cult.
Wesgtr
New Trial Member

Post by Wesgtr »

Greta,

I realize now that you are not a creationist. That is fine. However, what convinces you that "powerful natural processes" makes humanity, I presume, "collateral damage?" And, can I ask one more: why do you think that your version of the world's beginning is better than a creationists?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 28th, 2017, 3:58 am Exactly, I wonder what their answer would be?
Given the inevitable harshness of their lives, I imagine they would have figured that the god/s were punishing them, rewarding them, challenging them or toying with them. Interesting that it didn't occur to them that they could be simply collateral damage of powerful natural processes.
Well, yes and no. True, their lives were incredibly brutal... to our Modern eyes. To them their lives were average. The thing that is likely notable about their existence IMO would be what they felt about the hierarchy of their society. Compared to us, it was an incredibly flat hierarchy, but compared to their peers/ancestors, it might be the start/development of a hierarchical and stratified society. If so, then it is highly likely that the invention of gods was a technique to just up the ladder and partake of the spoils.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Wesgtr wrote: December 28th, 2017, 5:11 pmGreta,

I realize now that you are not a creationist. That is fine. However, what convinces you that "powerful natural processes" makes humanity, I presume, "collateral damage?" And, can I ask one more: why do you think that your version of the world's beginning is better than a creationists?
I assume that you are not referring to the obviously mythological anthropomorphic deity that people refer to as "He" but a fundamental intelligence posited to exist within the fabric of reality by mystics, and more properly referred to as "it"; some models being pantheistic and others panentheistic.

You ask why I think the way I do. Why do you think the way you do? :) As far as I can tell, we are each small, somewhat aware parts of the Earth with a particular perspective shaped by temperament and life experience.

Was there always intelligence in the universe or is reality gradually becoming more aware and intelligent? I don't know the answer to that question, one that's been disagreed upon through history by many sharper minds than ours. From our human perspective it looks like awareness evolves, but if we do reside within a larger, exponentially more sophisticated mentality, how could we possibly know?

Is this is the first universe or the trillionth? Maybe in previous universes some beings kept evolving and advancing, progressively solving the ever greater perils thrown at them by the cosmos, even surviving the heat death of their universe. There mere presence of such beings would influence any subsequent big bang, since they would necessarily change the initial state of what would be a chaotic system. Aka "God".

Given that this is a philosophy forum rather than a religious forum, my doubt leaves me no choice but stay on the fence and lean towards the view that's least reliant on assumptions, and hope for more information to help clarify the situation.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Tadstormy wrote: September 3rd, 2013, 5:07 pm Why did God create the world and man? God, by definition, does not lack anything. If so, then why did God create the world and man? Does the world and man fill in some lack in God’s own being?
Perhaps because imperfections are more interesting. Would you watch a movie which shows only perfect good, perfect justice, perfection all round without any encroachment of the polluting and insidious to make things interesting...to give it a story! Creation is a distortion of perfection since the former, in contrast to the latter, is dynamic breaking up and reordering the so-called Platonic Solids into an endless Kaleidoscope of shapes. One is only a god or brain paralyzed to the extent one can put up with the perfection of boredom.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

But who is to say that gods created anything? Perhaps gods are just habitants of the universe (like us).

There are plenty of religions where the universe wasn't created by gods, the gods just live in the universe.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

LuckyR wrote: December 29th, 2017, 9:31 pm But who is to say that gods created anything? Perhaps gods are just habitants of the universe (like us).

There are plenty of religions where the universe wasn't created by gods, the gods just live in the universe.
Hail the untempled sinuous sublime
God unrendered which renders god divine!
Robert-Nielsen
New Trial Member

Post by Robert-Nielsen »

<t>God, the Supreme Power, is the One Single Highest Vibration. The Supreme Power is the One Single Highest Vibration that evolved into Mind Force as It learned that It was All that Is. During Its evolvement, It experienced involuntary convulsions, which were responsible for lowering the One Single Highest Vibration, causing changes from purely theoretical vibrational energy thought forms to energy transformed into material forms. The material forms, inherently metamorphosed and converted to its original source, the One Single Highest Vibration. As the converted material arrived into the One Single Highest Vibration, it imprinted a summary of what transpired during its migration. The imprints were saved in a reservoir immediately beneath the crest of the wave constituting the One Single Highest Vibration. Time is nonexistent for the Supreme Power. Initially, after much evolution, the imprints were useful because they provided proof that it was possible for some Thing with lower vibrations, to be immersed in and surrounded by Pure Energy, which constituted All that Was. The One Single Highest Vibration or Pure Energy, metamorphosed and separated from Pure Energy the portion in which It stored the Force of Thought, and that became Mind Force. It is true that the One Single Highest Vibration represents All that Is, or can ever Be, but Mind Force draws upon that Energy to Create Stuff or non-Stuff, which makes up whatever is not already Pure Energy, or the One Single Highest Vibration. Prior to that discovery, the Supreme Power was in a blissful state of consciousness, which It deplored!That occurrence led to It making deliberate attempts to reduce portions of Itself to lower vibrations or material and observing the spectacle of its return as occurred earlier when It was unconscious. Having grasped that basic concept, It performed an infinite quantity of experiments. The Supreme Power learned much and devised a system of Control Centers that operated on pure logic and truth, which is used in Its decision making. Laws were designed to prevent any loss of control as a result of Its experiments, including the possibility of ever becoming bored, a condition that could possibly cause It to fall asleep. After getting Its house in order, It eventually became lonely. That condition caused the creation of a companion, endowed with free will, to share in Its magnificent accomplishments. Its laws prohibited It from creating anything that could overpower It, singularly, or in combination with other creations. Eventually, the companion wanted more than the Supreme Power could provide and it also created a companion, as did that additional companion, ad infinitum. The Supreme Power, lonely again, devised a method to gather Its infinitesimally subdivided companion back to It, without violating truth or usurpation of free will. What happened after that constitutes the history of trillions upon trillions of universes and their occupants - be they in purely technological form or a form that we are more familiar with. One thing is certain, they all contain a soul. It is the soul that the Supreme Power desires to return and share Its experiences with It without regard to time. In a material form, time certainly exists, and all Stuff or on-Stuff (material) has to follow the inherent path which leads to the transformation to Pure Energy, or the One Single Highest Vibration. The Supreme Power desires all of Its creations containing a soul, good, bad, or indifferent to return to It prior to conversion to Pure Energy, which does not include memory of any type. A soul gaining sufficient vibration to match that of Mind Force is reabsorbed into the theoretical with full memory and capabilities of comprehending all acts thereafter accomplished by the Supreme Power and Its companion(s).</t>

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream