Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

With which statement do you agree?

I want it to be illegal for a very poor teenager who was impregnated from being raped by an immediate family member to get an abortion even in the first week of pregnancy even if the doctors can and did detect the baby has severe genetic disorders and that the pregnancy if taken to term would have complications greatly risking the life of both the mother and would-be baby.
11%
I want it to be legal for a wealthy woman who is 5 days past her due date (of birth) to get an abortion even though doctors are sure that the healthy baby would be delivered safely and relatively easily otherwise and even though many safe, healthy, loving families are willing to adopt the would-be newborn immediately and even pay the woman significantly for that.
18%
I do not agree fully with either one of the above statements.
71%

Total votes: 65

LuckyR

Re: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often though

Post by LuckyR » September 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

ThomasHobbes wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:49 am
Voiceofwisdom wrote:
January 9th, 2016, 2:25 am
Abortion ought to be legal because I believe in the freedom of the individual to make decisions about their bodies, regardless of what society thinks about those decisions.
Even if the baby would easily survive outside the womb and could make a childless couple happy through adoption?
You would rather kill a viable foetus five days past due?
Wow, sounds scary. Please inform us of the place where such a practice is currently legal (or is that a couple of strawmen?)
"As usual... it depends."

ThomasHobbes

Re: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often though

Post by ThomasHobbes » September 21st, 2018, 12:39 pm

LuckyR wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 11:32 am
ThomasHobbes wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 3:49 am

Even if the baby would easily survive outside the womb and could make a childless couple happy through adoption?
You would rather kill a viable foetus five days past due?
Wow, sounds scary. Please inform us of the place where such a practice is currently legal (or is that a couple of strawmen?)
DUh.
Read the bloody thread.
This is the second post you've made that is an irrelevant response.

msieber
New Trial Member

Re: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Post by msieber » September 21st, 2018, 2:29 pm

hmm.. so does anyone have input that is relevant to the scenario given by the initial poster? maybe a solution you've concocted or an argument for/against someone else's solution/conclusion? looking for perspectives on the matter more than reactions of "Wow, sounds____" or "Really? even if: (reiterates original post question)?" Also preferably more than implying a lack of desire to give this scenario thought by reason of something like the member ThomasHobbes states:
"Take two ridiculously absurd opposing statements at the most banal and extreme ends of a idea and try to pretend that we all have the same opinion."
If you find extreme hypotheticals absurd that is fine by all means, I suppose this may not be the thread for you; however, I'm not sure we can conclude that we are pretending that we all have the same opinion...at least the poll indicates that I don't personally share the same opinion as the majority of responders and for the majority, which chose the option of finding a compromise between two extremes... there are nearly limitless possibilities between two extremes for people to come up with so how can we attribute "sameness" to the majority vote?