Can you justify political correctness?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Philosophy Explorer

Can you justify political correctness?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm in the middle on this one.

One the one hand, it infringes on my freedom of speech. Can't even make jokes about groups without being called on it and I don't regard it as a personal attack because it is a group joke. Another case, e.g., is you're not supposed to use gender if you say salesgirl, now you're supposed to say sales clerk. Hiding jokes and gender isn't going to make them less of a joke or make males and females any more gender neutral. Better to be out in the open with it (btw there are females that are proud to be identified by their gender).

On the other hand I think most of the complaints are made by groups, not individuals which carries less weight with me. Exactly why individuals would complain about jokes which are obviously jokes and not meant to be taken seriously is beyond me. Maybe someone can explain why they get offended by jokes.

To mention, this type of thread has been done before. Time has passed with new members aboard and maybe the mood in the US has shifted (along with other countries).

What say you to this?

PhilX
Ruskin

Re: Can you justify political correctness?

Post by Ruskin »

It tends to be used by moderate and casual racists, bigots and xenophobes to silence anyone that have a reasonable objection to something they might say. Like say Jeremy Clarkson would complain about Political Correctness.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Maybe someone can explain why they get offended by jokes.
Offense is only taken when there is a grain of truth to it.
Philosophy Explorer wrote:What say you to this?
I say express yourself as you wish and take the flak like a boss. Ultimately, if you're not going to say what's on your mind then why say anything at all? If you're not being true to yourself then your just being someone else's bitch.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consideration. I don't like people dumping on me so I try not to dump on others. To me it's about cutting people a bit of slack either way. We don't want to be tied in verbal straitjackets by hyper sensitivity and neither do we want to be unfairly picked on.

I feel the most sensible path is for everyone to keep a sense of humour about the little things but not buy into prejudice, to choose your battles and let the other stuff fly. It takes acceptance of diversity and a basic sense of general goodwill.

Spiral, while "the truth hurts" may apply in some instances but untruths are even more hurtful - to be misrepresented and not in a position to clarify falsehoods.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

I can justify it, but not its overuse. :roll:

Something that is beneficial in small amounts becomes toxic in larger amounts. The toxicity increases as the usage increases. We sometimes add salt to our food to taste, but a plateful of salt is completely inedible. A capful of cough-syrup soothes a cough, but to drink the entire bottle of cough-syrup is possibly fatal.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Greta wrote:Spiral, while "the truth hurts" may apply in some instances but untruths are even more hurtful - to be misrepresented and not in a position to clarify falsehoods.
Offense is only taken when there is some truth to the concept. Otherwise it's just an easily dismissed absurdity.

Stereotypes, for example, only exist as stereotypes because there is a somewhat significant degree of truth in them. When expressed, these stereotypes or any other exaggeration of traits, become offensive to those who are perhaps unnecessarily sensitive about their particular condition of existence, whatever that condition may be.

So what is an "untruth"? What percentage of truth need the expression possess in order to not be an untruth? And why would untruths be offensive anyway? Are those not the easily dismissed absurdities I had proposed above?
Logic_ill

Post by Logic_ill »

Stereotypes are social constructs. Yes, there is truth to it because that is the way that people have been taught to socialize. It takes looking at what caused stereotypes to be true in the first place to then behave according to our own perception of correctness.

I justify political correctness because it reflects the values of the day. Today, we are more aware of others concerns so we try to fit them into our thoughts to give everyone some sense of inclusion, equality, and to show our understanding. That´s fine with me.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

As Spiral Out said, offense is only taken when there is some truth to the concept, and stereotypes only exist because there is some truth in them.

But words can hurt, and hurtful words sometimes mean a lack of compassion. So people don't get an automatic pass with me. If you say something offensive, and you know it's going to hurt someone's feelings, you're guilty of nastiness.

No logic to it, but I kind of feel this way: If something's really, really funny, even offensive comments are okay. But if it isn't very funny or not funny at all, and it still makes somebody feel bad, you should be ashamed.

Political correctness is really stupid when it causes us to behave in stupid ways. For example, airport screeners are just as likely to select out a little old lady for further checking, and twenty-year-old Muhammad may sail through without a glance, all in the name of avoiding racial profiling by choosing at random, rather than by who's more likely to be a problem.

So in general, I hate political correctness, but that doesn't mean that you're free to say hurtful things without consequences.
Philosophy Explorer

Wilson said:

"So in general, I hate political correctness, but that doesn't mean that you're free to say hurtful things without consequences."

The problem is you can't tell with 100% accuracy how someone is going to react explicitly or implicitly. You can be praising someone and they would still take offense.

I still maintain that something said aimed at a group shouldn't be taken personally. I think political correctness has gone too far.

PhilX
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I think political correctness has gone too far.
It certainly has. Way too far. But the new generation will never know. Thus the constant march toward change, whether it be progressive or regressive.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Wilson said:

"So in general, I hate political correctness, but that doesn't mean that you're free to say hurtful things without consequences."

The problem is you can't tell with 100% accuracy how someone is going to react explicitly or implicitly. You can be praising someone and they would still take offense.

I still maintain that something said aimed at a group shouldn't be taken personally. I think political correctness has gone too far.

PhilX
I wouldn't suggest going into an inner city neighborhood and yelling the "N" word. (This forum, afflicted with political correctness, wouldn't allow the term I typed in.)

You wouldn't do well, and I wouldn't blame your assailant.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Wilson wrote:I wouldn't suggest going into an inner city neighborhood and yelling the "N" word.
Why an "inner city" neighborhood? That in itself is a stereotype, is it not? But there is truth to it, so it exists. Anyway…

I think that goes far beyond the necessity for speaking one's mind outside the realm of political correctness. That's just plain old being antagonistic and starting trouble unnecessarily. I would think that someone doing such a thing would be armed with an AK-47 or something since the goal there is not to get beaten to near death or killed (unless they're looking to commit suicide, which would be an odd method in itself).
Wilson wrote:I wouldn't blame your assailant.
Neither would I in that case. But that's not part of the political correctness arena.

An example:

Up here in the northeast, and perhaps in other areas of the country or maybe even in other countries, we call the little candy sprinkles that we put on our ice cream "jimmies" or "chocolate jimmies" or "rainbow jimmies". Now, I have been informed much to my surprise that the term "jimmies" can be taken as a derogatory term for/by a black person. This I was unaware of because I do not live in an area with a large population of black people, and because I don't sit around googling what all of the known racist terms are just to make sure I'm not using any that are out of the usual well-known terms.

I had a discussion about this a while back with my sister, who is very much an 'activist' type, and she says that I should not use the term "jimmies" anymore and to start calling them "sprinkles" just in case someone happens to take offense to it. I say that is political correctness gone amiss.

The point is, if I have no intent to offend anyone using that term, and which I use to indicate that I simply want to have the little chocolate sprinkles put on my ice cream, and someone happens to get offended by that term, then I say that is their own issue, not mine.

I'm not one to go around offending people for the sake of offending people, but I will speak my mind honestly without regard for their feelings if the situation requires it. If someone takes offense to honesty about the reality of this life and Human sociality, then, again, that is their issue, not mine.

The concept of being 'tactful' is a different concept altogether. That is primarily used when an agenda is to be achieved and there is a reliance on another party to achieve that agenda.

That's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Spiral Out wrote:
Greta wrote:Spiral, while "the truth hurts" may apply in some instances but untruths are even more hurtful - to be misrepresented and not in a position to clarify falsehoods.
Offense is only taken when there is some truth to the concept. Otherwise it's just an easily dismissed absurdity.
A logical error I see on this site regularly. Just because something is true some of the time does not mean it necessarily follows that it's always true.

Is a father hurt when a vindictive ex spouse makes false molesting claims or does he laugh them off? Is a girl hurt when a status-seeking boy tells everyone that she is an easy lay with false claims they had sex?

Being misrepresented can hurt. A kernel of truth is not necessary at all. Yes, "the truth hurts" but so do lies.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Philosophy Explorer

Here's a question. I heard that somwheres in the US, a customer got a cashier fired because she was speaking Spanish to a coworker. Was that cashier politically incorrect?

PhilX
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I'm in the middle on this one.

One the one hand, it infringes on my freedom of speech. Can't even make jokes about groups without being called on it and I don't regard it as a personal attack because it is a group joke. Another case, e.g., is you're not supposed to use gender if you say salesgirl, now you're supposed to say sales clerk.
I've never understood the problem with political correctness. It's just people trying not to hurt others, with speech.

Who is objecting to your racist jokes? Your friends. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech, it's peer pressure. Your friends are asking you to not be an ***hole because they know that racism is bad. Compliments to your friends.

Political correctness shows up in the government. Governments presumably want to treat people equally and respectfully, but it's mostly because politicians don't want to lose votes. It also shows up in commerce, where retailers treat people equally and respectfully because they don't want to lose business. That's why Don Imus was canned.

Makes sense to me, I've never understood the problem. People compare political correctness to McCarthyism!

-- Updated May 10th, 2014, 10:08 pm to add the following --
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Here's a question. I heard that somwheres in the US, a customer got a cashier fired because she was speaking Spanish to a coworker. Was that cashier politically incorrect?PhilX
No.

-- Updated May 10th, 2014, 10:11 pm to add the following --
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I still maintain that something said aimed at a group shouldn't be taken personally. I think political correctness has gone too far.
Give an example?
fair to say

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream