Meritocratic; what does it mean exactly?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Re: Meritocratic; what does it mean exactly?

Post by Obvious Leo »

LuckyR wrote: #2- "Meritocracy" from a practical standpoint is plutocracy with a much cooler sounding name, because of the nature of what we have decided to call merit namely standardized test scores, prestigious degrees and internships, letters of recomendation etc.
In my lexicon "sycophancy" would also pass as a synonym.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Obvious Leo wrote:
LuckyR wrote: #2- "Meritocracy" from a practical standpoint is plutocracy with a much cooler sounding name, because of the nature of what we have decided to call merit namely standardized test scores, prestigious degrees and internships, letters of recomendation etc.
In my lexicon "sycophancy" would also pass as a synonym.

Please explain in detail the similarity.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Well, there are two problems and your post addresses one of them.

#1- Conscious and subconscious favoritism (cronyism and the like). I agree with you that of all the possible outcomes, conscious favoritism is the least likely, but clearly still present. Unconscious favoritism is much more common but the impact for the applicant is the same.

#2- "Meritocracy" from a practical standpoint is plutocracy with a much cooler sounding name, because of the nature of what we have decided to call merit namely standardized test scores, prestigious degrees and internships, letters of recomendation etc. This, of course is a systemic problem inherant with the subject and is immune to the individual efforts and quality of decision makers.
#1 is frequently addressed - unconscious cronyism, the halo effects etc - the various biases that can stand between managers and getting the best person for the job. Interview biases have been studied in detail, although the training info given to managers and supervisors can be pretty basic.

There is always seniority, if you prefer. Some codger who's sat on his bum for 20 years and expects a reward. Or just openly employ mates and forget about merit - it's been done and that's why merit selection was attempted. It can only be attempted - there are no guarantees, even with the best will in the world.

Employment is a lottery at the best of times. The greatest fear is being duped by a smooth talking applicant who turns out to be pretty weak at everything except interviews.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

LuckyR wrote:Please explain in detail the similarity.
I guess I was just venting my spleen at my experiences in a previous life. As an intermediate cog in a vast corporate wheel I saw precious little evidence of a meritocracy and no rewards to be gained for thinking outside a precisely defined box. Needless to say this system was not to my taste and I exited it as early as I sensibly could. For most of my life I've been self-employed, which is not without its pitfalls. However I never have to look far to find the bloke to congratulate when things go well, nor do I have to look far to find the bloke to blame when things go pear-shaped.

Regards Leo
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:#1 is frequently addressed - unconscious cronyism, the halo effects etc - the various biases that can stand between managers and getting the best person for the job. Interview biases have been studied in detail, although the training info given to managers and supervisors can be pretty basic.

There is always seniority, if you prefer. Some codger who's sat on his bum for 20 years and expects a reward. Or just openly employ mates and forget about merit - it's been done and that's why merit selection was attempted. It can only be attempted - there are no guarantees, even with the best will in the world.

Employment is a lottery at the best of times. The greatest fear is being duped by a smooth talking applicant who turns out to be pretty weak at everything except interviews.

Okay, okay, I can see we are a little bit at apples and oranges. I am addressing meritocracy in the context of an applicant unknown to the reviewer who is going off of supposed objective evidence of merit (of the types I described: letters of recommendation, GPA, test scores etc), you are referencing a promotion of individuals known to the supervisor where on the job performance is known.

In your context, I agree with you that my #2 problem with meritocracy would be absent. Though in my context it would be paramount.

So, we're both right.

-- Updated February 22nd, 2015, 10:02 pm to add the following --
Obvious Leo wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Please explain in detail the similarity.
I guess I was just venting my spleen at my experiences in a previous life. As an intermediate cog in a vast corporate wheel I saw precious little evidence of a meritocracy and no rewards to be gained for thinking outside a precisely defined box. Needless to say this system was not to my taste and I exited it as early as I sensibly could. For most of my life I've been self-employed, which is not without its pitfalls. However I never have to look far to find the bloke to congratulate when things go well, nor do I have to look far to find the bloke to blame when things go pear-shaped.

Regards Leo

My condolences for having to deal with the types of situations that you did. Your current situation has what most folks seek in their work, namely, autonomy and some power. That is a different subject from meritocracy but still important. Your prior situation was, unfortunately a classic example of a #1 type problem in my lexicon.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Okay, okay, I can see we are a little bit at apples and oranges. I am addressing meritocracy in the context of an applicant unknown to the reviewer who is going off of supposed objective evidence of merit (of the types I described: letters of recommendation, GPA, test scores etc), you are referencing a promotion of individuals known to the supervisor where on the job performance is known.
No, I'm talking about both. A manager or supervisor needs to fill a vacant function in the work team, advertises and then tries to work out how will be best. The applicants may be known or not known - and how useful or otherwise "being known" is depends on the existing relationship or prior impressions.

As a former intermediate cog I agree with Leo that often the term "merit" has a strong undercurrent of conformism, but less so than seniority and overt cronyism.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:As a former intermediate cog I agree with Leo that often the term "merit" has a strong undercurrent of conformism, but less so than seniority and overt cronyism.

Well, my posts agree with the above statement.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

The central premise of Meritocracy appears to be "I am a better person than you are. Therefore, I have the right to make you follow my wishes, and you do not have the right to make me listen to yours."

Sound familiar? It sounds exactly the same as most hierarchical systems of social organization. The only difference is that you don't get to be the one giving the orders just because your father was before you (although it helps your cause if he was), but rather because something you had done had somehow given you the right to be the one giving the orders.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MHopcroft1963 wrote:The central premise of Meritocracy appears to be "I am a better person than you are. Therefore, I have the right to make you follow my wishes, and you do not have the right to make me listen to yours."

Sound familiar? It sounds exactly the same as most hierarchical systems of social organization. The only difference is that you don't get to be the one giving the orders just because your father was before you (although it helps your cause if he was), but rather because something you had done had somehow given you the right to be the one giving the orders.

The special case of meritocracy, as opposed to other systems, IMO is the veneer of impartiality and lack of favoritism that it implies, yet does NOT deliver on, thus it tries to appear superior to other forms of decision making, yet is likely equally vulnerable to manipulation.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

LuckyR wrote:
MHopcroft1963 wrote:The central premise of Meritocracy appears to be "I am a better person than you are. Therefore, I have the right to make you follow my wishes, and you do not have the right to make me listen to yours."

The special case of meritocracy, as opposed to other systems, IMO is the veneer of impartiality and lack of favoritism that it implies, yet does NOT deliver on, thus it tries to appear superior to other forms of decision making, yet is likely equally vulnerable to manipulation.
Impartiality is like objectivity. One of the first things I was told in my first and only Journalism class was that truly objective journalism did not, and could not, exist. Likewise, the ideal criminal trial is impartial, yet many factors besides the actual evidence play a role on whether someone is released or sent to the injection table.

If you have a brilliant legal mind, but have a lot of ties to anarchists or radical environmentalists, you're still not going to be admitted to Harvard Law School. If you are an LGBT person or a Muslim in Indiana, you will not become Governor even if you can do the job ten times better than the guy who is already there. Nobody can be selected for anything solely on "merit", because nobody can define what "merit" means.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

MHopcroft1963 wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Impartiality is like objectivity. One of the first things I was told in my first and only Journalism class was that truly objective journalism did not, and could not, exist. Likewise, the ideal criminal trial is impartial, yet many factors besides the actual evidence play a role on whether someone is released or sent to the injection table.

If you have a brilliant legal mind, but have a lot of ties to anarchists or radical environmentalists, you're still not going to be admitted to Harvard Law School. If you are an LGBT person or a Muslim in Indiana, you will not become Governor even if you can do the job ten times better than the guy who is already there. Nobody can be selected for anything solely on "merit", because nobody can define what "merit" means.
There is agreement (at least from me) that the definition of merit varies dramatically when moving from the theoretical to the practical. Essentially this difference is the core of my argument. In theory, the definition of merit is ability in a measurable accomplishment that predicts excellence in whatever is being hired for. SATs for college prowess, for example. Yet SAT scores don't, in fact have much correlation to college success and thus the breakdown when moving from the theoretic to the practical.
MHopcroft1963

Post by MHopcroft1963 »

LuckyR wrote:
There is agreement (at least from me) that the definition of merit varies dramatically when moving from the theoretical to the practical. Essentially this difference is the core of my argument. In theory, the definition of merit is ability in a measurable accomplishment that predicts excellence in whatever is being hired for. SATs for college prowess, for example. Yet SAT scores don't, in fact have much correlation to college success and thus the breakdown when moving from the theoretic to the practical.
One of the ironies of the SAT is that, thanks to multiple choice, I got a 590 in Math despite my utter lack of math training. I just selected which answers made the most sense and, somehow, they did. I don't know if that was exceptional luck, bad test design, genuine mental/logical prowess, or all of the above.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Yet another anecdote that supports my position.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I have a rather similar anecdote which refers to IQ tests which are possibly the most absurd tests ever devised. Many years ago my eldest son was applying for a traineeship and he knew beforehand that one of the tests he would need to endure was an IQ test. He's an intelligent bloke who'd been very successful at school but he'd never done such a test before and had no idea what was involved. I advised him to get online, chase up as many of such tests as he could find and just practice doing them. I was also able to give him a few tips and strategies as to method. Sure enough, he just got better and better the more of them he did and by the time it came to the actual test he got a score which marked him as a genius. As it happened he didn't go through with the traineeship but it taught him 2 valuable life lessons. A. IQ tests are a load of crap and B. Practice makes perfect.

Regards Leo
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Speaking of IQ testing this is one of the best scenes of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvQfyIayM - at ~ the 9:20 stop.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream