Spaceship OnlinePhilosophyClub

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Jklint

Re: Spaceship OnlinePhilosophyClub

Post by Jklint »

Alec Smart wrote:
LuckyR wrote: I think a big problem would be the overabundance of chiefs and the lack of any indians.
I think you would find that the role of chief would already have been (self) allocated.
So in which philosophy forum cathedral are you going to crown yourself?
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Jklint wrote: cathedral

:?:
Smart by name and Alec by nature.
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Post by Lagayscienza »

Unless by the time we went on this "galactic space cruise" we had evolved into a different sort of species than we are today I think Greta's Lord of the Flies scenario is the most likely. Unless of course I were in charge with dictatorial authority to enforce universal benevolence. In which case it would be a pretty cool set up. :wink:
La Gaya Scienza
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Enforced benelovence, sounds great, how does it work?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If you fail to act for the good of the many then you are imprisoned or killed. Natural selection then results in more selfless people who will be inclined to support your suffering or execution should you behave selfishly. I understand that the name for this kind of governance is "China" :mrgreen:
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:If you fail to act for the good of the many then you are imprisoned or killed. Natural selection then results in more selfless people who will be inclined to support your suffering or execution should you behave selfishly. I understand that the name for this kind of governance is "China" :mrgreen:
Curious application of the word benevolence...
"As usual... it depends."
Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Hume Nietzsche

Post by Lagayscienza »

LuckyR wrote:Enforced benelovence, sounds great, how does it work?
It was said tongue in cheek, Lucky, just to make the point that you will never get absolute agreement on how we should live and, much worse, people have a tendency to divide into opposing groups on the issue. The best we can hope for is an agreement to live under what is democratically decided is the desire of the majority.
La Gaya Scienza
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Curious application of the word benevolence...
That's just hardline utilitarianism, isn't it? The few suffer for the betterment of the many, which always returns us to the trolley problem. While my previous post was a play on the apparent paradox, when we think of the trolley problem it could be said that you pulled the lever out of benevolence.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Elder
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Sandor Szathmari

Post by Elder »

Repeating from the OP (which was the feeble intention of the thread)
Elder wrote:Now imagine: we gather together in a big circle and try to figure out what to do next, how to organize ourselves.
Any suggestion?

I loved the four-wheel drive bicycle idea. Very practical.

Not its use to reinvent our insane asylum of course.

Can you imagine standing there, in that circle? Would you have any suggestions?

Would you initiate a discussion on organization, decision-making, use of available resources, sharing the results of community-produced accomplishments?

I can't imagine that you would just stand there, letting others decide for you, without at least making some suggestions?

'Philosophers' ought to have some ideas!

Would you have a suggestion?
I don't debate with the evaders, the hopelessly 'confused' or the too lazy to think -- life is too short!
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

LuckyR wrote:
Greta wrote:If you fail to act for the good of the many then you are imprisoned or killed. Natural selection then results in more selfless people who will be inclined to support your suffering or execution should you behave selfishly. I understand that the name for this kind of governance is "China" :mrgreen:
Curious application of the word benevolence...
It looks like more of a non application of the word benevolence, to me. I can't find it, you'll have to give me a clue to it's whereabouts.

[…]
Last edited by Spiral Out on August 2nd, 2015, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic content removed
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Alec Smart wrote:
LuckyR wrote: I think a big problem would be the overabundance of chiefs and the lack of any Indians.
I think you would find that the role of chief would already have been (self) allocated.
But how long could such a role be sustained, in the face of a) persistent derision and disobedience b) physical violence?
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Johnb
New Trial Member

Post by Johnb »

We'd probably all sit about talking about the philosophical ramifications of our plight while slowly dying of dehydration :)

Or more realistically we'd be killed by the natural fauna as we would have no idea what was safe to consume and by the time we had figured such basics out most of us may well be dead. Or we'd be consumed by the planets predators before we even started trying the vegetation.

But if we survived that initially then i reckon we'd do best to follow the commune/ hunter gatherer society norms.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Johnb wrote:But if we survived that initially then i reckon we'd do best to follow the commune/ hunter gatherer society norms.
For me it would depend on how big the big violent guy was, I'm getting old I'm not even as quick as I was.

Depending on how many of us there were I might suggest we split up. I've read in several places that much more than 120 humans are incapable of sustaining a societal group for long so best to divide before the arguments start.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

Mark1955 wrote:I've read in several places that much more than 120 humans are incapable of sustaining a societal group for long so best to divide before the arguments start.
I reckon I could get a group of much less than 120 arguing to the point of societal breakdown in no time at all. I haven't got many talents but I'm pretty good at that sort of thing.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Elder:

Now imagine: we gather together in a big circle and try to figure out what to do next, how to organize ourselves. I imagine that the personalities and temperaments of the particular individuals would be a primary factor.

It seems likely that while some might think that gathering in a big circle trying to figure out what to do next makes sense, others will go out to secure food and shelter. Some might go out alone and others in small groups. Some might be concerned with what they need to do for themselves and others with what they can do for the group. It may be that separate groups form with varying degrees of cooperation within and between them.

No doubt some will think that organization should be the top priority and this might well lead to endless attempts to organize, including the organization of organizations. And no doubt this will be perpetuated by various social ideologies and personal agendas.

My suggestion would be to identify members who possess the practical skills necessary for survival and allow them to take the lead in determining how to meet those needs. Most issues should be addressed on an ad hoc basis, allowing for long term solutions to develop over time.

When I was a freshman in college many years ago I took a sociology course on utopianism taught by a popular ideological professor. His students were very excited about creating the ideal community free of all individual constraints where everyone worked together for the common good. When I expressed my doubts, pointing out that it seemed unrealistic that people who did not even bother to flush the toilet in the dorm bathrooms would now act with social responsibility and concern for others, some of these students who professed tolerance and loving understanding were ready to lynch me. After class a couple of them, having realized their hypocrisy, apologized for the way they reacted, but for the rest of the semester the class continued to build a dream world they wanted to live, without being aware of just how unsuited they were for such a world.

We might imagine a big circle of rational beings creating a social order, but the first mistake is assuming that we are such rational beings who are capable of creating and living in such a world. The best we can do is structure an order with checks and balances on the tyranny we would so readily impose on ourselves and others.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream