Should the UK leave the European Union?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Lucylu

Re: Should the UK leave the European Union?

Post by Lucylu »

Ormond wrote: "Well", he said while waving his willy about wildly, "Lucylu is obviously a Chinese name or one of those other slanty eyed people, and I mean honestly, who keep them all straight, so we know what your agenda is here, taking our jobs, stealing our copy-righted intellectual property!!" It's just another form of invasion.
'Wildly'!! .."Good Lord!", she gasped, and blushed demurely behind her fan. The American was so exciting even if he did seem to be slightly confused and more than a little ridiculous.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Lucylu wrote:Wildly'!! .."Good Lord!", she gasped, and blushed demurely behind her fan.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Lucylu wrote:

I have to feel for Hilary Clinton.. All those years and years of public rallies and campaigning, all that money spent, and here Theresa May was just given the premiership!
Feel for Hillary Clinton for money spent? Most of it was Saudi money advanced through the very dodgy 'Clinton Foundation'. The foundation which made the Clintons worth in the hundreds of millions after Bill left office. They were only ordinarily wealthy before and during Bill's tenure as president.

-- Updated July 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm to add the following --
Supine wrote:

But a problem humans have (irrespective of race, sex, or nationality) is we typically dismiss the evidence of something bigger coming, do little to nothing, until things get about out of hand. Then all of a sudden most people jump into a big uproar. Black crime in black neighborhoods. The banking and housing scandals. Police shootings and the militarization of the police. These are examples.

The United States has deep racial divides between whites and blacks and its large white police forces patrolling predominately (racially segregated to an extent) black neighborhoods can not be separated from that history. No more than the predominately brown and black favelas of Brazil can be torn apart from the racial history of Brazil.

Police have been de-policing black neighborhoods over the last few years. A consequence has been a raise in crime in those neighborhoods, blacks shooting blacks and blacks robbing black owned stores.

Supine wrote:The United States was never this "nice" racially united country before Obama got in office that white conservatives like to insinuate. As though Obama single handedly created racial divides in this country that had resolved themselves by the end of the 1970s.
Of course Obama did not single handedly create racial divides , but Obama was painted, by his own campaign and by many others, to be the one who would make a difference. His own words, however, show he has no interest in reducing a divide, and it has become worse under him. Not better and not the same as before him.
Supine wrote:I do think most the problems in Black-America today are of Black-Americans own making.
Yes. There is a culture problem within black communities. Very high, dramatically raised and raising, incidences of solo mothers and men/boys impregnating many more than one woman/girl, and then not staying to help raise any of the offspring. Kids are being 'brought up' predominantly hearing stories from those with victim hood outlooks thereby learning to believe IN such narratives AS themselves. 'Black Lives Matter' organizational agendas merely making matters worse for black American people.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

A story from Egypt that was just mentioned on the news: Amnesty International has reminded us that the forced disappearances of thousands of students and activists, some of whom disappeared a long time ago now, is the latest example of the brutal crackdown of the Egyptian leadership, under Sisi, of any dissent.

That's it! He's clearly a psychopathic gangster! Let's invade Egypt (and not just to lie on the beach in Sharm el-Sheikh or gawp at ancient pointy architecture) and depose him! :D
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Well that's the cultism of the area.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Steve3007 wrote:A story from Egypt that was just mentioned on the news: Amnesty International has reminded us that the forced disappearances of thousands of students and activists, some of whom disappeared a long time ago now, is the latest example of the brutal crackdown of the Egyptian leadership, under Sisi, of any dissent.
If Sisi was disappearing thousands of innocent people from your neighborhood, what would you like to see done about that?
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

If Sisi was disappearing thousands of innocent people from your neighborhood, what would you like to see done about that?
I'd like to see him publicly tortured to death. (There's that Nazi in me coming out again.) And I wouldn't care whether that caused more trouble in the wider world than it solved in my neighbourhood.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

As I said, if it was my neighbourhood, I'd like to see him stopped by any means possible no matter what other effects it has. I don't care if, for the good of the wider world and stability of the country, having a tough, harsh, brutal borderline-dictatorship government is deemed necessary. It's my neighbourhood.

Bringing it back to reality: What do you think of our general policy towards the current leadership of Egypt and the pragmatic view we appear to be taking towards their removal of the democratically elected Muslim Brotherhood government, and prosecution of Mohamed Morsi?
Supine

Post by Supine »

Ormond wrote:If Sisi was disappearing thousands of innocent people from your neighborhood, what would you like to see done about that?
By a gun, and look both ways before you cross the street.

--
--

Sisi has protected the Coptic Christians and they seem to by and large love him. Since I'm likely to convert to the noble Coptic nation, that's good enough for me.
Published on Jan 12, 2015
On January 6, 2015, Egyptian President Abd Al-Fattah Al-Sisi paid a visit to the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo during the Christmas mass. This is the first time that an Egyptian president has attended the occasion. The visit was broadcast on Egyptian TV's Channel 1.

Published on Feb 27, 2013
#3755 - Egyptian Cleric Abu Islam: Christianity Emerged from Penis Worship; Christian Women Raise Dogs to Replace Husbands
The Internet, Al-Omma TV (Egypt) - February 13, 2013

You can see (video below) he is a Muslim Brotherhood supporter.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Egyptian Cleric Abu Islam:
Christianity Emerged from Penis Worship; Christian Women Raise Dogs to Replace Husbands.
Yeah, but I suspect he probably stole those jokes from Frankie Boyle.
Supine

Post by Supine »

Keeping some of the Muslim Brotherhood violence in context.

This young woman had just dropped off some medication (I believe) to an elderly woman, when a mob of men, Muslim Brotherhood supporters allegedly, saw a cross or crucifix hanging from her rear view mirror in her car. Stopped her car. Dragged her out. Beat her so bad pieces of her skull had to be picked up off the street.

I don't want that lost in the context of when the American empire's attempts at returning the Muslim Brotherhood to power for "freedom" calls upon the UK to bring "freedom" to the Egyptian people by bombing the country and supporting Muslim rebels tied to the Brotherhood to overthrow Sisi.
Published on Mar 30, 2014
March 29, 2014Mary Sameh George, a 25-year-old, was leaving church near Ain Shams when her car was stopped by angry Muslim Brotherhood protesters (allege Coptic officials and the government).

Mary was dragged from her car, beaten, stabbed 16 times and then strangled to death. Her car was then set on fire.

Mary is one of five killed in violent clashes between protesters and police in Egypt's Ain Shams. The funeral is expected to be held within the coming 24-48 hours and the Coptic Community has called for an immediate investigation and for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Boris for Foreign Secretary.

Amber Rudd, Home Secretary. A newbie.

Philip Hammond, Chancellor. George Osborne, who once had hopes of being PM, has got the boot.

Theresa May hitting the ground running!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes, I've just been watching all that on Channel 4 news. Boris for foreign secretary! Might as well have given it to Prince Phillip!

Still, I see Liam Fox's ploy of standing in the leadership election to get into the news might have paid off. Looks like he's making a comeback.
Lucylu

Post by Lucylu »

Steve3007 wrote: Yes, I've just been watching all that on Channel 4 news. Boris for foreign secretary! Might as well have given it to Prince Phillip!
Yes he is a card, but he has politics running through his veins. I like him. And if you can be a successful Mayor of London, then thats a pretty good CV! He has pedigree.

Hopefully now he's in cabinet, he will be a little less 'loose lipped'. Having a woman as his boss might do him the world of good.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream