Global Politics

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Burning ghost

Global Politics

Post by Burning ghost »

Today we live in a world with instant communication, freedom of information (to a degree) and a greater sense of what other nations are doing around the world everyday.

Given that the most powerful nations on the planet can have a global effect, and given that we are working towards a united nation of Earth, then would the correct step, in the future, be to allow the lesser powerful nations to have a say in the vote of other nations?

For example let us say that the people in the US voted in a president that every other nation opposed. Given the global influence of the US should not the entire planet not have some small say in the matter without resorting to all out war or a new cold-war?

Do you think these will be a feasible thing in the future given the EU "experiment"? Of course this is assuming you believe in the idea of a more united nation of humankind.

Note: I don't conceive of this happening anytime soon, but I remain optimistic for the human race.
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Re: Global Politics

Post by Ormond »

Burning ghost wrote:For example let us say that the people in the US voted in a president that every other nation opposed. Given the global influence of the US should not the entire planet not have some small say in the matter without resorting to all out war or a new cold-war?
They can stop talking to us, or stop trading with us. They can organize a group of like minded nations to take such actions together. They can fund in depth investigations of the unwelcome president which are fed to the media. They can hack the communications of the president and send the data to Wikileaks. They can stage huge protest marches in their own country.

They could show up for a state dinner at the White House wearing clown costumes, and make loud farting sounds throughout the president's remarks. They could hire militant gay extremists to scream "Bump Trump In The Rump!!"
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Ormond -

The question is it a good idea to give some form of say to foreign countries in elections as a move towards a united global governing body?
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Yes, I understood the question, and chose to focus on what countries can do now instead of a hyper-speculative theory that's unlikely to ever happen.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The OP brings up a reasonable issue, namely the relative importance of local and large scale rights and responsibilities. In the US, it is state's rights vs federal power. In the EU it is the Brexit thing. In the former USSR we all know how that is going. The UN masquerades as a single body, but is really a grouping of individuals, but the OP is imagining a future where there IS a global power to tilt against individual nations. Interesting. I won't be around to see it though.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It seems to me that to force an issue is often couterproductive. I am saying if we move towards a united Earth nation then at some point during this process it seems that individual nations will more likely morph into global states gradually and we'll have a planet that has several shifting power bases partially united and partially independent.

At the moment we have this is isolation. What I imagine the future course to be is two nations in some mutual agreement and the larger power in gaining from the smaller power having to trade away a piece of its independence. Much like in the EU the small nations possess a relatively large influence (although the system is not ideal and when I refer to the EU it should be understood that I don't see this as a shining example).

I guess the premise of what I am getting at is a system where the most powerful/wealthy nations don't have direct choice in matters of global leadership or in global economic distribution, but they maintain direct local control.

As an example let say there are 10 nations and 2 main "superpowers" and 3 undeveloped and poor nations. All nations pool resources into a global system and the poor nations have the greatest say in how these resources are distributed. On top of this the 2 "superpowers" also have to allow the participation of other nations into their government elections.

Of course I am oversimplifying. I do imagine that the main commodity in entering into a global nation would be "votes". With nations initially trading both national and global influence for development and growth. Over time this cycle would allow for a more immediate move towards global unification.
AKA badgerjelly
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

It's hard enough in a developed, somewhat educated nation to get the electorate to vote intelligently. Adding in the votes of countries where the people are poorly educated and in some cases devoted to a bogus God would be a disaster, in my opinion.

And no, I don't like the idea of a one nation world - until the people on Earth are much more universally rational than they are now.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Assume these people of the future are reasonably well educated and informed about the world they live in.

I guess an obvious requirement for a movement towards a global nation would be education prior to the situation I am talking about.
AKA badgerjelly
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

If more than half the world wanted Sharia law, should we bow to the majority opinion?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Let me rephrase the question for you ...

If we become a Global Nation then if there is an interim period I am suggesting that it will be something like the form I am saying. This form being one where sovereignty is partially shared and shifting.

Thee may be other courses we could take towards a Global Nation and I am interested to hear what you think they may be.

I don't personally see how one radical and quick movement towards a Global Nation is possible so I suggest, and ask, what this transfer from individual nations to one more whole may look like.
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

In pre-history little villages came together to become larger villages because that made them safer. This process continued over time to develop nation states. The most likely motivator for the emergence of a single global political body would probably be an outside threat such as a potential alien invasion.

Without such an outside threat, your theory runs up against some very fundamental obstacles. You might have read somewhere that what we are made of, thought, is inherently divisive in nature. This is a profound form of bias for division at all levels of the human experience, including the political realm.

As example, the United States was most united in it's history in it's struggle against German and Japanese fascists, who together posed an existential threat to the country. Once that threat was removed we almost immediately returned to fighting amongst ourselves internally, even though it would have been far more in our interest to stay united.

If you put a gun to our head, we'll unite. Once the gun is removed, we'll go back to being divided. This is the inherently divisive nature of thought at work, seeking division at all levels of the human experience where ever possible.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Burning ghost wrote:Assume these people of the future are reasonably well educated and informed about the world they live in.

I guess an obvious requirement for a movement towards a global nation would be education prior to the situation I am talking about.
No it's isn't going to education that drives globalization, rather the discovery of a clear and overt extraterrestrial threat.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Up to now both replies require all out war.

Anyone else?
AKA badgerjelly
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Through-out history, force has been used to unify. Ex Mohammed, Teto, Soviet Union, Civil Wars, Ghnig Khan, Alxeander, Romans etc....

The question is not, if were moving towards a global nation, the only question is, how long before that becomes a commonly accepted notion of fact.

Trumpty Dumpty's ego turns politics on its head, and in so doing, brings out the worst fears, and potentially dangerous actions of those who feel dispossed--- rightly, or wrongly ---by whomever, or whatever systems that are in place.

Capitalism-- rightly, wrongly or both ---is unifying global force. The only question is, will humanities greed, or whatever human desires, bring about humanities ultimate demise.

As Fuller has pointed our repeatedly, there is no guarantee of humanities long time survival on Earth.

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Togo1

Post by Togo1 »

I don't think that's how the transition is most likely to happen.

What's likely is that we give various nations a voice in matters that involve them. So trade agreements involve giving other nations a voice in your affairs in return for a voice in their affairs. The more agreements are made, the more we exchange power with others. Voting won't gradually include other countries, but other countries will become important enough that you can't afford to ignore them when you hold a vote.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream