Should Donald Trump prosecute Hillary Clinton?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Re: Should Donald Trump prosecute Hillary Clinton?

Post by Wilson »

Getting late to this "debate", but as to the original question, the first thing I'd like to know is - for what? The Benghazi thing was pretty clearly not chargeable - all a lot of nonsense. One could have the opinion that mistakes were made, but I'm not even sure of that, and mistakes are not illegal. As to the emails, pretty obvious that FBI director Comey, a Republican partisan, would have dearly loved to charge her, if there was anything there. He didn't find anything illegal, and the Justice Department started an investigation into his handling of the emails, which probably was more prosecutable than anything Hillary did. How about Whitewater? The murder of Vince Foster? The faked moon landing?

All a bunch of hooey - believed only by not very bright conspiracy nuts, a few of which populate this forum. Good grief.

Of course it will never happen. Call me if an indictment goes down and I'll be happy to apologize.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Wilson wrote:Getting late to this "debate", but as to the original question, the first thing I'd like to know is - for what? The Benghazi thing was pretty clearly not chargeable - all a lot of nonsense. One could have the opinion that mistakes were made, but I'm not even sure of that, and mistakes are not illegal. As to the emails, pretty obvious that FBI director Comey, a Republican partisan, would have dearly loved to charge her, if there was anything there. He didn't find anything illegal, and the Justice Department started an investigation into his handling of the emails, which probably was more prosecutable than anything Hillary did. How about Whitewater? The murder of Vince Foster? The faked moon landing?

All a bunch of hooey - believed only by not very bright conspiracy nuts, a few of which populate this forum. Good grief.

Of course it will never happen. Call me if an indictment goes down and I'll be happy to apologize.
So the deliberate destruction of evidence in the email case was not something that happened? A mere conspiracy theory? 'Bleachbit' was a conspiracy theory?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

factcheck.org/2016/09/the-fbi-files-on- ... ns-emails/

---

Wilson: I think I recall you saying in a previous post that you live in California. I'm interested in the opinions of Californians about the Trump claim that there was massive voter fraud in California. It is apparently based on the "AB60 law" - a law allowing illegal/undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses for reasons of improving road safety. I've read that these licenses are explicitly and visibly not evidence of citizenship. I've also read the arguments against this from the various partisan "news" websites. I'd like to get the view of people with local knowledge.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Steve, nobody here believes there was massive voter fraud in California. Clinton won easily. No need for anyone to go to the trouble. Nationally, I suspect there were very few people voting illegally, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were more illegal votes for Trump than for her - because so many Trump supporters believed his claim of massive voter fraud and some probably tried to even the score. I think the only reported cases of illegal voting, in fact, were a few Trump supporters voting twice. I guess Trump's claim is based on the fact that there are a lot of dead people on various voting rolls, and a lot of people are listed on more than one voting roll. I'm sure that's true, but it's because people die and the election commission doesn't find out about it, and people move to another district or state and their names aren't removed from the rolls. It's always been that way, I'm certain. Doesn't mean that it's some kind of scheme to vote multiple times. I read that several of Trump's advisers and cabinet appointees are on multiple voting rolls. More silliness without the benefit of logic. Trump may well believe part of what he says, but he believes what he wants to believe, and it doesn't matter if he's shown that the opposite is true. It's just not in his nature to be a logic-based thinker. And this man is my president. From the penthouse to the outhouse.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Wison: I get what you're saying and have done a reasonable amount of research myself into the whole claim about dead people voting and, on that issue, have come to the same conclusion. And yes obviously Trump is extraordinarily prone to confirmation bias.

But I still think that specific allegations which are designed to undermine people's faith in the democratic process need to be countered with specific facts. I know that Trump and his supporters will simply ignore those facts and repeat their allegations, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be said. If it does then he succeeds in his apparent goal of creating a Putin-esque society of cynics in which there is no objective truth, just competing narratives.

I read an article by a former Republican politician in California (I can't remember who he was. I'll find it again when I get a minute) with the aim of trying, from a distance of 6000 miles away, to honestly assess its credibility. I simply didn't have enough reliable non-partisan information available to do so.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

The whole world is laughing at America. Trump is a joke.
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

He has a significant number of supporters in countries other than the USA. In England for example, were he to run for PM, I am not certain he would lose.
Unknown means unknown.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Rederic:
Many of us here in the U.S. are both laughing and in horror. His ineptitude and self-aggrandizement would be funny but would seem unrealistic if it were not real.

I hope there will be a turning point when the GOP concludes that he has lost what public trust he had and to continue backing him will be a liability. I think this may be one of the reasons he continually says that he won the election and how popular he is. It is obviously the reason that he claims that legitimate news sources are fake. If his supporters knew what was going on many would turn against him, and so, he attempts to convince them that they cannot believe the truth, by claiming it is not the truth but all a bunch of lies.

We will have to wait and see just how willing congress will be to investigate his connections with Russia and what the intelligence agencies will disclose. But if his followers believe him they they will not believe intelligence because Trump has told them that they shouldn’t.

To his credit,he is doing what he promised to the extent that he has changed the way things are done in Washington by his executive orders and putting people in charge of departments who are fundamentally at odds with what those departments are designed to do. And Congress is helping by using an obscure law to repeal everything Obama did in his last six months.

What he has not done is “drain the swamp”. He has populated it with his billionaire cronies, and is on his way to giving big business carte blache to take advantage of the people he promised to protect, and put the environment in even greater danger.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Eduk wrote:
He has a significant number of supporters in countries other than the USA. In England for example, were he to run for PM, I am not certain he would lose.
Oh, the US doesn't have a monopoly on stupidity and bad judgment.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

Certainly not. But the USA is the predominant power in the west. To have a leader who is obviously semi-literate & has a problem stringing a proper sentence together, on top of being a compulsive liar, doesn't bode well for the rest of the world or America.
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Rederic wrote:Certainly not. But the USA is the predominant power in the west. To have a leader who is obviously semi-literate & has a problem stringing a proper sentence together, on top of being a compulsive liar, doesn't bode well for the rest of the world or America.
No sh*t. Terrifying. I'm very disappointed in my country.
Supine

Post by Supine »

Rederic wrote:The whole world is laughing at America. Trump is a joke.
I've grown impressed by him. He is far more capable and resilient than I thought.

The intelligence community is attempting a coup against Trump and the oligarch owned news corporations are entirely in opposition to him.

My own feeling is there is little chance of reconciliation in the United States and if Trump is overthrown by any means (impeachment, any form of soft coup, anything whatsoever) civil war needs to be initiated. And high casualties needs to be incurred.

Hillary is lucky she has not been burned at the stake for for acquiring hundreds of millions in dollars in part by robbing earthquake devastated Haitians living literally in abject poverty. Incarceration in Federal prison would be charitable. If she and Obama keep sticking their ISIS supporting noses in the campaign to overthrow the elected Trump then she ought be brought up on charges. I would if I were Trump. But he's a nicer guy than myself.

I was happy to hear General Mattis now Secretary of Defense, state that a war of annihilation should be waged against ISIS, rather than a war of attrition, which is what the Obama administration did and only half halfheartedly at that. As former military myself I got the impression the Obama administration wanted ISIS to stick around. And in terms of history the Aztecs--as well as the Apache and many North American Indian nations--were far more savage and cruel than Assad and his remarkably well educated wife (speaks like 4 languages and has a degree in computer science and French literature, and she is Muslim, but apparently far too "moderate" a one for Hillary and Obama looking at how they turned Libya over to the theocratic Al Qaida and Muslim Brotherhood and off-shoots of ISIS as well). So, Putin and Russia are essentially, protecting the new and far less cruel Aztec kingdom (Syria) while the USA as the new Spanish Conquistadors tries to use enemy tribal Indians (other Arab Muslims) to overthrow the New Aztecs. At the behest of Sunni Saudi Arabia, a wicked regime, who desires to make all Muslims nations on earth be ruled by Sunni sect Muslims.

Published on Mar 6, 2015

In this episode, Uncommon Knowledge is honored to have retired four-star General James Mattis. General Mattis retired from the Marine Corps as a full general in 2013, where he served as the eleventh commander of the United States Central Command. He also served as the commander for NATO supreme allied transformation, and as commander of the United States Joint Forces Command. Mattis is now an Annenberg Distinguished Visiting Fellow fellow at the Hoover Institution.

(Fast forward to the 24:30 minute mark to hear the former General's remarks on ISIS. They would be easier to defeat, deprive them of land territory, than the US battling Iraq during the 1st Gulf War.)

And you have Western dressing Assad (no long beard or dressed like Saudi royalty or Osama Bin Laden either) who lived in England and is a medical doctor. He belongs to a moderate sect of Islam that protects Christians. In other words, he and his wife do not fit the stereotype of Muslims that want to kill and oppress Christians. But the ones Hillary and Obama supported to overthrow Gaddafi sure did. Then they want to turn around and bemoan how some Americans stereotype Muslims as killers and so on. Well, stop advancing those that fit those characteristics across the Islamic world. Just as Obama supported the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

Obama opposed Muslims like Al-Sissi in Egypt, the kind of Muslims that protected Christians.
Published on Dec 31, 2016

Egypt's Muslim President GeneraL Al-SiSi HISTORIC Speech to Clerics, Imams & RadicaL Mullas

And Assad and his wife.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and First Lady Asma al-Assad visiting Christian Church.

With Christian nuns and little children in Santa hats.
Bashar & Asma Assad visit orphans at ancient Saidnaya monastery at Christmas

Instead this is representative of the kind of Muslims Hillary and Obama supported, armed, and financed. He is in fact an Egyptian sympathizer of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

-- Updated February 17th, 2017, 5:12 pm to add the following --
Egyptian Cleric: Christianity Emerged from Penis Worship; Their Women Raise Dogs to Replace Husband
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So if Trump is impeached, you advocate civil war, with high casualties?

Thanks for confirming our - well, you know.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

So, towards the actual subject of Hillary Clinton's qualification for being prosecuted.

The Clinton Foundation! Remember this 'charity' organization? Wealthy international donors no longer donate to this foundation. Why not? Are they not interested in 'charitable' work?

Of course these donors were never interested in 'charitable' operations. They were interested in having the Secretary of State's champion and open doors for their private business, of which the Clinton mafia family got handsomely paid for.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Grunth wrote:So, towards the actual subject of Hillary Clinton's qualification for being prosecuted.

The Clinton Foundation! Remember this 'charity' organization? Wealthy international donors no longer donate to this foundation. Why not? Are they not interested in 'charitable' work?

Of course these donors were never interested in 'charitable' operations. They were interested in having the Secretary of State's champion and open doors for their private business, of which the Clinton mafia family got handsomely paid for.
Here an article about Charity Navigator - the respected evaluator of charities - giving the Clinton Foundation a perfect rating. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... ty_wa.html
This is Charity Navigator's current rating of the foundation: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... rgid=16680

Notice that 87% of its money is spent on its programs and services, which is extremely high. They've given millions of people access to HIV treatment, among many other activities. In other words, from all available evidence, the foundation is actually one that's done a lot of good in the world. You may be relying on the claim by Reince Priebus and others that it is corrupt, but this is from a fact checker: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... ndation-c/ It appears, to be charitable, that Priebus simply misread the information.

Now I don't doubt that the Clinton Foundation received donations from people hoping to curry favor with Hillary Clinton, but so what? If the charity was doing good work, that's great. I'm not saying that the Clintons are morally spotless - they accepted money for speaking fees from again people who wanted influence - but which politician wouldn't do that? Doesn't mean that she actually did the donors any favors.

But why am I explaining this to you? You are beyond the reach of logic. You are a true believer. You are not as clinically insane as someone else I will not name, but your ideas and conclusions are not fact-based. Sad.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream