Can we afford to pay a high wage to US workers?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Can we afford to pay a high wage to US workers?

Post by Sy Borg »

Alas, various tragedies of the commons will defeat all of these measures (from observing boom-bust dynamics). There is one answer - for a lot of terrible things to happen and drastically reduce human numbers. Soon after the great plague of mediaeval Europe with all of its losses and traumas, one might have expected England and Europe to have spent a period in a daze, lost and not knowing what to do. In truth, within a very short time everything was being rebuilt and improved upon and people were more prosperous and happy than they had ever been.

The truth about us humans can be thought of as hideous, hilarious, inspiring or depressing, depending on our inclinations (or mood?).
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote:Alas, various tragedies of the commons will defeat all of these measures (from observing boom-bust dynamics). There is one answer - for a lot of terrible things to happen and drastically reduce human numbers. Soon after the great plague of mediaeval Europe with all of its losses and traumas, one might have expected England and Europe to have spent a period in a daze, lost and not knowing what to do. In truth, within a very short time everything was being rebuilt and improved upon and people were more prosperous and happy than they had ever been.

The truth about us humans can be thought of as hideous, hilarious, inspiring or depressing, depending on our inclinations (or mood?).
I choose *&^%%#! @%$^#!! for mood about humans. And for Gods, too. I mean, let's not forget who is ultimately responsible for this mess. We wouldn't be in this mess today, if He hadn't created the world. Bad, bad god.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

In truth, within a very short time everything was being rebuilt and improved upon and people were more prosperous and happy than they had ever been.
This is true. It was very good for the wages of peasants, I've read. There was suddenly a very pressing labour shortage which pushed up wages:

economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/1 ... -history-1

I'm hoping that the next big one (that I'm reliably informed will kill 6 billion) will disproportionately target software engineers.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

thanks for making me laugh Steve :)
Unknown means unknown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Seriously speaking, if six billion of us perished overnight, with no damage to private property (i.e. neutron bomb... here we come), then it's not going to be the same as the peasant's rich life after the plagues in Europe.

There is basically one good reason why the same or similar event would differently affect the economy: stored goods.

In the middle ages they could hardly even store food to last the entire winter. Eating-meat farm animals definitely were slaughtered in the fall, in order to preserve starchy and sugary veggies (ones with caloric value) for the humans.

So a clearing of the overcrowded fields and villages meant that there was too much work, lots of work for the remaining labour force. Much like how the manufacturing boom drove up US workers' wages after WWII. In the nineteen fifties and sixties, 50% of the world's industrial production was made in the US of A.

However, if we get a clearing now of eliminating six out of every seven and half persons, it would mean that societies (in the Western world, anyhow) would float or sail effortlessly for at least a decade on stored goods: both industrially produced goods, and food supply. Granted, there would not be much cherries or fresh green peppers, but there will be lots of canned veggies, canned meat, canned people, because nuclear holocausts favour the survival of prison population, what with the protection of thick walls around them.

So instead of an economic boom that is precipitated by well-paid hard work, there will be an economic stagnation with goods available plentifully, without any work put into producing them.

There will be problems within the lack of need to work: services that can't be stored will be damaged. If you have enough food, toys, cars, you are not going to work in a water facility, or in electrical plants, or in barber shops. Why should you? The incentive of "pay" will have been erased, as nothing will have a price, since their values will be available for free. Money will literally be useless.

Lots of hairy, smelly people will sit on their verandas, sipping Coke, smoking whatever they want (police will be replaced by roving street gangs made of true sadists who like to hurt others for its own sake), and on the lookout for roving gangs of sadists.

The illegal drug industry will go nose down, belly up. Because it's basically a cash industry, and if no cash, and cash can't provide you with happiness, then you can't sell drugs and you can't employ prostitutes. All sex will be reduced to either true love, or to rape, or to consensual sex. I hate to say it, but this is what it looks like. All drug use will be reduced to what you can loot from pharmacies and what you can raise in your own backyard.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

With 1.5 billion people left I don't think the canned food would last very long. And a lot of it would be destroyed by people fighting over it or might have perished in the initial apocalypse (depending on the nature of that apocalypse).

Also, when I was a student I did live on canned food for quite a while. I think I might prefer to join the 6 billion.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Steve3007 wrote:With 1.5 billion people left I don't think the canned food would last very long. And a lot of it would be destroyed by people fighting over it or might have perished in the initial apocalypse (depending on the nature of that apocalypse).

Also, when I was a student I did live on canned food for quite a while. I think I might prefer to join the 6 billion.
You're actually right about this, Steve, I was way wrong. The canned food supply may last only a week. I don't know.

Let's try and find it out.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Scottie wrote:"Jobs" aren't "coming back."
This is true.
The economy lost jobs for reasons we don't really want to understand. Many jobs lost by attrition are clerical and administrative jobs made redundant by technology. One good clerk with Microsoft Office can do what it took 10 to do in 1970. Those jobs aren't coming back.
Nor should they. Half of them didn't need doing in the first place; many of the rest were servicing and recording transactions that no longer need to take place. Almost nobody enjoyed doing those jobs or got any satisfaction or sense of accomplishment from them. The very few that were actually rewarding and worthwhile still are - but they're probably being done by interns and graduate students for no pay.
Jobs were lost when US companies outsourced manufacturing to jurisdictions where regulations favored low pay and little regulation. Many reactionaries believe that China 'took' our jobs. They were given to China by US businesses who understood that it was cheaper to outsource and import finished product back to the US. This was a conscious choice on the part of business elites.
I'm glad you said this. It bears repeating from time to time. Corporate apologists prefer to forget the part where capital always serves the quarterly returns, not a nation or its people. They try to make a national issue of something that has never been anything but an economic one. America can't be great (past, present or future) unless its billionnaires' financial interest demand that it be so.
Jobs can be created by new market sectors opening up and by companies willing to enter those markets and hire Americans to work. The US is currently missing the boat on renewable energy infrastructure. Why? I'm guessing because US companies still don't want to be involved in manufacturing where they'll have to pay reasonably well and offer benefits, again, a conscious choice. They'd rather do finance than manufacturing. Our last few administrations were stuffed with corporatists who directly benefit from this strategy and have worked to pass laws that do not penalize US companies who outsource and to roll back pro-labor regulation here at home.
On the up-side, corporatists are not the most desirable employers. Small independent companies would do renewable technology better - more flexibly, more responsively and with a great deal more regard for local concerns, both human and environmental.

And then --- shouldn't we ask the obvious questions: Why jobs? Who wants a job? Are jobs a good idea?
Is there not a better organization of human effort, ingenuity and co-operation? Is there not a better way to allocate resources to human needs than having a boss tell a lot of voiceless minions what he wants done and how much he's willing to pay for their labour?

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream