What is white priviledge if what is white can't be defined?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Post Number:#1  Postby Roel » April 14th, 2017, 9:42 pm

It is very confusing to me how, at one hand people on this forum can't define what a white person is, but can speak about white priviledge. I just have a simple question, which is how white priviledge can be defined. If someone is, say, 25% Afro-American, and 75% white/Indo-European or however you want to call it, but this person has blonde hair, non-brown eyes and doesn't look Afro-American at all, could you say that this person has white priviledge, because he or she looks white and because of this is more accepted in mostly white communities?

If a woman has a jewish father, and an Irish mother and looks completely white, although she is partly jewish and not fully white, is it still white priviledge?

And if what a white person is can't be defined, how can white priviledge be defined? What is it, if we don't know what a white person is?
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Roel
Queue Moderator

Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Re: What is white priviledge if what is white can't be defin

Post Number:#2  Postby Fooloso4 » April 16th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Roel:

It is very confusing to me how, at one hand people on this forum can't define what a white person is, but can speak about white priviledge.

It is about perception not definition. It is about treating people differently because of perceived differences associated with being white. A person who is perceived as being white may enjoy white privilege, while a person who is not perceived as being white may suffer because of prejudices associated with those who are not white.
Fooloso4

Re: What is white priviledge if what is white can't be defin

Post Number:#3  Postby LuckyR » April 20th, 2017, 11:35 am

Roel wrote:It is very confusing to me how, at one hand people on this forum can't define what a white person is, but can speak about white priviledge. I just have a simple question, which is how white priviledge can be defined. If someone is, say, 25% Afro-American, and 75% white/Indo-European or however you want to call it, but this person has blonde hair, non-brown eyes and doesn't look Afro-American at all, could you say that this person has white priviledge, because he or she looks white and because of this is more accepted in mostly white communities?

If a woman has a jewish father, and an Irish mother and looks completely white, although she is partly jewish and not fully white, is it still white priviledge?

And if what a white person is can't be defined, how can white priviledge be defined? What is it, if we don't know what a white person is?

As has been already described, White Privilege is an excellent descriptor for this very real issue, since it ISN'T a genetic marker (in which case it would be called something else), rather a social descriptor. Thus the "White" part of White Privilege is wholly in the mind of the perpetrator of the Privilege. Thus it has a nonreproducable exact definition. An example is in South Africa, back in apartheid times, a white South African woman developed a skin pigment disorder that darkened her skin and she legally lost her White status and was reclassified by the government as Colored (like imported Asian workers).
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Return to Philosophy of Politics