Heard of a "legal non-cognitivism" that isn't anarchism?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Supine

Re: Heard of a "legal non-cognitivism" that isn't anarchism?

Post by Supine »

BenMcLean wrote:I'm not an anarchist. I'm an American Constitutionalist. But I have adopted a position which sounds alot like anarchism as seems to be the logical consequence of taking Constitutional Originalism / Declarationism seriously.

My position on Constitutional law in the United States is that all decisions after Griswold v. Connecticut in 1965 (and possibly some earlier ones too) are a complete joke. Once you have accepted "emanations from penumbras" as a coherent argument then all text is a legal wildcard which can mean literally anything the wizards in black robes want it to mean and all decisions are purely an expression of the arbitrary will of the judges and are not affected in any way by anything actually from the text.

Law is dead and we have killed it. There is no law.

I am an atheist in regards to the false god whose superstitious theology you were taught in law school.

But this is not quite the same thing as anarchism. Anarchism posits that we ought to abolish all government. I am positing the non-existence of the rule of law: that we are in fact ruled by arbitrary despots contrary to popular belief. This is descriptive, where anarchism is prescriptive.

Today, I got to thinking that my view of the current state of Constitutional law needs a new term: "legal non-cognitivism." It's the philosophy of law analogue to ethical non-cognitivism in meta-ethics and theological non-cognitivism in philosophy of religion.

Ethical non-cognitivism posits that all moral language is incoherent, or in other words that all prescriptive claims are incoherent in the sense that they cannot be reasoned about. Theological non-cognitivism posits that the language we use to discuss God or ideas about God and/or religion are meaningless or incoherent in the sense that they cannot be reasoned about. In short, theological non-cognitivism means, "All religious language is incoherent."

I don't believe in either moral or theological non-cognitivsm. But I think I am starting to believe in legal non-cognitivism, the belief that, "All legal language is incoherent." However, I don't want to totally commit in that way to all legal language without exception. I am specifically thinking of Constitutional arguments in the context of the government of the United States. I am a non-cognitivist in regard to Constitutional language working from any post-Griswold precedent. Words don't mean anything after Griswold.

This doesn't mean I think we should abolish all government: it just means I think some large part of legal language is incoherent.

I've Googled the phrase "legal non-cognitivism" and haven't found this anywhere. Does this view have a name that I'm not aware of, or do I get to name it? Most of the time when I think of an idea, I will find out it already has a name in philosophy. This would be the first time I've struck a concept which wouldn't have a name if I really do have an unnamed concept here. Does anyone know if this already has a name?

By the way, this term "legal non-cognitivist" (if it really is something new) wouldn't refer only to people who think legal language post-Griswold is incoherent, but to anyone who thinks any category of legal language is incoherent. There would of course be different flavors of legal non-cognitivism for different categories of legal language thought to be incoherent. So my legal non-cognitivism is of a relatively very limited kind compared to what's conceptually possible. And I hope I have distinguished this view sufficiently from anarchism to show that it is something conceptually distinct from anarchism.

I would love to respect the rule of law: I just don't think that the arbitrary rule we've got now counts as law.
The "law" is a racket, kind of like Wall Street's derivative scams, and the conclusions in both are often incoherent garbage. In the former's case matters of judicial contradictions. In the latter's case the incoherent reasoning that the debt can be paid for by expanding the debt to more parties internationally who seek returns on purchasing the debt of others, and that this can go on forever without any negative consequences, particularly when many of the original subjects incurring the debt can not maintain their obligations to make x sum payments on their debt.

I agree the US Supreme Court Justices are like queens and kings and a college of Catholic Cardinals. They are biased people that are socially and politically biased and pressured to make pontifical claims and decisions from their thrones no matter how absurd. They enjoy the aristocratic privilege of being incoherent in how they apply their biased interpretation of the highest law of the land (supposedly highest law of the land, in fact the US Constitution is worthless, and the oligarch and CIA controlled media controls the minds and opinions of the US public as well as its aristocratic Supreme Court Justices.)

I just briefly looked up that Griswold case you provided. Personally, I view birth control use as a private matter. But I don't think my personal beliefs--on that or other issues--should determine how I rule (if I were a judge) on a court case. My obligation if I am a judge is to determine things based upon the law. Do not confuse that with me implying that all laws are justice or morally right. I believe the exact opposite. Look, I'm half black, visibly brown, and would not be mistaken for white in the culture and society of the USA. But suppose for arguments sake that the US Constitution stated in rather clear terms that all black people must ride in the back seats of all public transportation and are forbidden from riding in areas deemed "the front." Even as a half black judge my obligation would be to decide court cases based on the law and not based on how stupid I think the law is.

Of course, I could choose to be a rebel judge and render my decision based on justice and what is morally right, and in opposition to the law. I believe, at least in certain cases, that would be the better decision in the eyes of God.

But there is an aspect of Common Law which makes it possible and likely that two lawyers on opposing sides of a legal battle will make claims to interpreting the law differently. That being that laws are often written in very vague terms. It allows for lawyers to get their "hustle" on. To get a truly guilty man to walk free at the end of trial or to send a truly innocent man to prison.

Having gone through the legal system I am persuaded "justice" is bought, paid for in the USA. No cash? Odds greatly increase no justice for you.
BenMcLean

Post by BenMcLean »

Supine wrote:I just briefly looked up that Griswold case you provided. Personally, I view birth control use as a private matter.
That, by itself, is not such a big deal. I mean, just ruling that states can't outright ban birth control is blatantly against the Tenth Amendment since no federal power to regulate birth control at all either way is enumerated in the Constitution. But the consequences of that decision by itself are not so bad. It's many of the later decisions which have followed from that absurd premise and cited Griswold as justification which have been the problem IMO.
Supine

Post by Supine »

BenMcLean wrote:
Supine wrote:I just briefly looked up that Griswold case you provided. Personally, I view birth control use as a private matter.
That, by itself, is not such a big deal. I mean, just ruling that states can't outright ban birth control is blatantly against the Tenth Amendment since no federal power to regulate birth control at all either way is enumerated in the Constitution. But the consequences of that decision by itself are not so bad. It's many of the later decisions which have followed from that absurd premise and cited Griswold as justification which have been the problem IMO.
I have small doubt you are right about that.

Supreme Court Justices are lawyers. And lawyers are more or less what? Used car dealers experienced in manipulating the dialogue pertaining to the truths and facts of an issue or thing.

But a lawyer--like a cop, teacher, or elected politician--can use their profession nobly and for the greater good. So can a used cars salesman I would suppose. If those things will happen or how often they happen is a question.

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream