What makes a good deal maker?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Woodart

Re: What makes a good deal maker?

Post by Woodart »

Actually I think there can be a great deal in common between politics and business. Many times they are synonymous. Insider trading on stocks is a type of confluence – getting a zoning change to aid ones business is another. Politics and business have always worked together and always will. The goal of both is control of power and resources.

Politics is a business and always has been. It is in the business of controlling people and managing their assets. Politics is another form of religion. It has a philosophy in order to control its adherents and opposition – just like any business and religion. I think politics is the most successful business organization primarily because it has an army and police force to enforce its dictates. Business proper and/or religions align with government in order to protect its interests and achieve its goals. It is the old equation – you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I agree with Woodart. My experience of large organisations is that the higher up the management food chain you go the more political the job gets.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I guess a major difference between running the Trump organisation and being US president is that, the Trump organisation being a private company, the boss is only answerable to customers, whereas the president is answerable to both his customers (A.K.A. voters) and other politicians. He can't rule by decree, as he can in his company. He has to try to negotiate and compromise with his fellow politicians. This he seems to be struggling to do. And he seems to have been somewhat surprised to find that he had to do it and that being president doesn't just make you the boss of the country.
Scribbler60

Post by Scribbler60 »

Eduk wrote:I agree with Woodart. My experience of large organisations is that the higher up the management food chain you go the more political the job gets.
Having seen this first-hand, I agree.

But politics inside a business and politics as a profession are two entirely different things. They suffer from using the same word for different processes.

Politics inside a business is usually centred around gaining power and influence. Politics as a profession, at its best, is centred around doing the most benefit for the most number of people, creating stability for business, managing the economy, making the trains run on time, etc. It doesn't always appear to work like that, but that's the goal.

Politics in the public sphere should be - usually is - less about personal aggrandizement, where politics in business is all about personal aggrandizement.

It's all very easy and fashionable to criticize politicians as ineffective time-wasters, in it only for the pension, etc etc, but fact is, without them, your roads won't be cleared of snow, the lights won't go on, the buses won't run, the water won't flow and the sewer system won't be maintained.

Having known, personally, a small number of politicians at the municipal, provincial and federal level, in my experience they have all gone into it for the right reasons. There's not a lot of money in it, the press and public scrutiny can be withering, the amount of work is mind-boggling, and the toll on one's personal life can be very difficult.

Care to put in 70, 80, 90 hours a week and have every single word you say examined and your intentions questioned publicly, every day, for less than $100 grand a year (far, far less at the municipal level, where my local city councillor earns less than $55,000)? Personally, I wouldn't do it.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Politics inside a business is usually centred around gaining power and influence. Politics as a profession, at its best, is centred around doing the most benefit for the most number of people, creating stability for business, managing the economy, making the trains run on time, etc. It doesn't always appear to work like that, but that's the goal.
Sorry both roles have the same ideal goal. You are just describing bad politics V good politics. I agree politics itself shouldn't be a dirty word (though it often used as one).
For every politician who got into politics for the 'right' reasons in the public sector I'm sure there is also a politician who got into politics for the 'right' reason in the private sector.

You point about wages is I think simplistic. Many politicians earn far far more than their basic wage would imply and hours in the private and public sector I imagine are close.

I am actually not convinced money is a net negative factor anyway. For example beyond a certain point more money doesn't increase job satisfaction. The type of person who is only looking to make money shouldn't be a politician anyway (although they often are of course).

Your point about watching every word is a genuine concern. I for example couldn't be a politician regardless of my aptitude because I would be endangering mine and my families life every time I said something factually true. But I can't help but think this is true in the private sector also, just with a smaller number of interested parties.

Don't get me wrong. It is possible that there are more people into politics in the public sector who genuinely want to improve the lot of themselves and others and have the aptitude to do it. I just need a bit more hard evidence to be convinced of that. For example I know of no UK politician (or any politician) who I would describe as both competent, trustworthy, and wise.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Eduk:
For example I know of no UK politician (or any politician) who I would describe as both competent, trustworthy, and wise.
Someone like David Steel, maybe? Or Shirley Williams? One of those old LibDem types. They seem ok.

-- Updated Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 pm to add the following --

(I mean LibDem/Liberal/SDP/SDP-Liberal-Alliance, depending on what era you catch them in.)
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Ha ha, I just looked up your recommendations, I was hoping for someone who is currently active, they both look to have retired?

Historically Churchill comes to mind, man was somewhat of a quote machine. Although to be honest I've only ever read 'good' quotes from him, it's possible 'bad' ones exist which I've simply not read, never having studied his life or anything :)

-- Updated September 28th, 2017, 9:26 am to add the following --

ok I took five minutes to actually look, turns out he's a pretty mixed bag to say the least.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Churchill? Mixed bag. Yes. You're right about his quotes. He's quote gold.

Steel and Williams not very active any more, no. Both still in the House of Lords I think. You looked them up? Must have heard of them surely. David Steel - leader of the Liberal Party for ages. Shirley Williams - split from the Labour party in the 1980s to form the SDP with the infamous "gang of four".
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Steel and Williams, I believe, are life peers, which I assume means they are members of the house of lords until they die. I have no idea if they vote or are active though, I could probably look it up. To be honest I've never heard of them, I was one in 1980 :) I don't know the names or endeavours of many politicians, hence asking the question about known politicians who could be somewhat respected. I don't require absolute respect :)

Oh and yes Churchill was a mixed bag.
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I was one in 1980
Ah. OK. I'll let you off then! :D

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream